Huge(surprising) trade?

Huge(surprising) trade?

Postby Shaq Fan on Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:46 pm

I guess in a way this isn't surprising, being that Dallas wanted an inside presence in Rasheed Wallace, but Portland wouldn't give him up so Dallas turned to an Eastern Conference team and suggested a trade which may be a few days or even a few hours away from actually accuring.

Dallas gets:

Shareef Abdur-Rahim
Chris Crawford

Atlanta gets:

Antoine Jamison
Travis Best
Tariq Abdul-Wahad

I think the trade would work financially. DOes it? But, I would fell bad for Jamison cuz he would have to go to Atl. and again Dallas does become stronger and Shareef did want out.

Line-ups(if rumor is true):

Dallas:

Dirk
Reef
Walker
Finley
Nash

Atlanta:

Theo
Henderson
Jamison
Jackson
Terry

Can anyone tell me if this would work, and if youwould pull the trigger.

props to hoopskillz, OTK, Eyecue and DA.....
Shaq Fan

Postby Guest on Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:04 pm

This is a good move for Atlanta, but a bad move for Dallas. Rahim is no Ratliff and won't be much better defensively then Fortson.

I'd much rather have Rasheed for the rest of the season then re-evaluate what you need.

Shareef - 2 more years on contract, $27.5 million left on contract.
Chris Crawford - 2 years, $6 million left on contract.

Jamison - 5 years, $59 million left on contract.
Best - $900,000 left on contract for this year.
Tariq - 4 years, $30 million left on contract.

Atlanta is taking on way too much salary for this trade to even work.

Postby rydjorker121 on Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:39 pm

ShaqFan, awfully sorry to disappoint you but:

Atlanta trades: PF Shareef Abdur-Rahim (19.5 ppg, 9.4 rpg, 2.5 apg in 36.0 minutes)
PF Chris Crawford (2.8 ppg, 1.7 rpg, 0.3 apg in 8.6 minutes)
Atlanta receives: PF Antoine Walker (16.1 ppg, 9.5 rpg, 5.4 apg in 38.2 minutes)
PF Tariq Abdul-Wahad (16.1 ppg, 9.5 rpg, 5.4 apg in 38.2 minutes)
PG Travis Best (3.4 ppg, 1.1 rpg, 2.1 apg in 14.7 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -2.8 ppg, -0.5 rpg, and +4.7 apg.

Dallas trades: PF Antoine Walker (16.1 ppg, 9.5 rpg, 5.4 apg in 38.2 minutes)
PF Tariq Abdul-Wahad (16.1 ppg, 9.5 rpg, 5.4 apg in 38.2 minutes)
PG Travis Best (3.4 ppg, 1.1 rpg, 2.1 apg in 14.7 minutes)
Dallas receives: PF Shareef Abdur-Rahim (19.5 ppg, 9.4 rpg, 2.5 apg in 41 games)
PF Chris Crawford (2.8 ppg, 1.7 rpg, 0.3 apg in 19 games)
Change in team outlook: +2.8 ppg, +0.5 rpg, and -4.7 apg.

TRADE DECLINED

Due to Dallas and Atlanta being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Dallas and Atlanta had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did not happen here (only Dallas met the condition). This trade does not satisfy the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

it wouldn't have worked anyway...and I don't think Dallas is really looking at Shareef Abdur-Rahim, they're more hooked into Antonio Davis, Rasheed Wallace and Zydrunas Ilgauskas more than that...and Chris Crawford is useless for a playoff team. Trading Travis Best is not too good for Dallas since they need a better backup PG, not Delk, and Jamison is definitely expendable.

But, since you seem to have hooked up Dallas and Atlanta in the first place, i'll see what my creativity allows me to do:

Atlanta trades: PF Shareef Abdur-Rahim (19.5 ppg, 9.4 rpg, 2.5 apg in 36.0 minutes)
C Theo Ratliff (7.8 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 0.9 apg in 30.4 minutes)
PG Dan Dickau (1.8 ppg, 0.9 rpg, 1.1 apg in 5.8 minutes)
Atlanta receives: SF Antawn Jamison (15.8 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 1.0 apg in 30.2 minutes)
SF Tariq Abdul-Wahad (15.8 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 1.0 apg in 30.2 minutes)
C Shawn Bradley (3.0 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 0.1 apg in 10.5 minutes)
SF Eduardo Najera (3.3 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 0.4 apg in 13.7 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -7.0 ppg, -5.4 rpg, and -3.0 apg.

Dallas trades: SF Antawn Jamison (15.8 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 1.0 apg in 30.2 minutes)
SF Tariq Abdul-Wahad (15.8 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 1.0 apg in 30.2 minutes)
C Shawn Bradley (3.0 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 0.1 apg in 10.5 minutes)
SF Eduardo Najera (3.3 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 0.4 apg in 13.7 minutes)
Dallas receives: PF Shareef Abdur-Rahim (19.5 ppg, 9.4 rpg, 2.5 apg in 41 games)
C Theo Ratliff (7.8 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 0.9 apg in 41 games)
PG Dan Dickau (1.8 ppg, 0.9 rpg, 1.1 apg in 16 games)
Change in team outlook: +7.0 ppg, +5.4 rpg, and +3.0 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Atlanta and Dallas being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Atlanta and Dallas had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

This looks like a better trade for both teams:

But I don't think Dallas will request for a blockbuster, but it still works:

Atlanta trades Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Theo Ratliff, and Dan Dickau for Dallas's Antawn Jamison, Tariq Abdul-Wahad, Shawn Bradley and Eduardo Najera....

Dallas trades Antawn Jamison, Tariq Abdul-Wahad, Shawn Bradley and Eduardo Najera for Atlanta's Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Theo Ratliff, and Dan Dickau
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For Atlanta, it's obvious that both Theo Ratliff and Shareef-Abdur Rahim want out...and they get big men like Antawn Jamison, Shawn Bradley and Eduardo Najera in return to boost up their frontcourt, hustle and interior defense...and they get Tariq Abdul-Wahad who can play multiple positions, including the point, when necessary, even though they might want to get rid of his bloated contract. Antawn Jamison's a proven scorer to replace Shareef. Also, Atlanta's cutting contracts and probably starting all over, and Doc Rivers might even be coach next year, so this might happen...atlanta might expect a blockbuster.

For Dallas, this definitely boosts their well-needed frontcourt with Shareef, a proven low-post scorer who finally gets to meet the playoffs and a championship caliber team for once, and Theo Ratliff, their shotblocker and rebounder and man in the paint. Dan Dickau is just for contract reasons but he looks just like Steven Nash, and Atlanta already has Jason Terry and Jacque Vaughn at the point, looks like Dickau won't get much playing time. He also looks like Steve Nash with wild hair, so they can learn from each other. Dallas looks ready now with an interior presence.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby Guest on Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:43 pm

tariq abdul-wahad does not average 16.1 ppg. It has Tariq's and Walker's stats exactly the same Jorker, Something is wrong there.

Postby Shaq Fan on Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:39 pm

And mah trade does work, I found a site and checked it and it said it is accepted.

props to hoopskillz, OTK, Eyecue and DA.....
Shaq Fan

Postby Kobe834 on Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:34 pm

Man, that trade is whack for Dallas. Ain't no way that's gonna happen.
Kobe834

Postby FabFourLakers on Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:21 pm

dallas would get ripped off if they trade Jamison for Reef...that shouldnt happen...
FabFourLakers

Postby ZenMaster on Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:14 pm

Is it just me, or have you all noticed....Dallas basically started going downhill when they traded away Nick the Quick? Seems like they have been trying to make up for it ever since.....they just can't find the right mix of guys to get it back to that same level of intensity and energy....now it's more like --> :man8:
ZenMaster

Return to NBA Discussion