Huge 4 team trade(revised)

Huge 4 team trade(revised)

Postby Shaq Fan on Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:42 pm

Since the Kings backed out I saw on a sports update on CNN Headline News that another team might be in the mix. This is a rumor.

Mavs get:
Grant

Miami get:
Ostertag

Warriors get:
Van Exel

Utah get:
Fortson

So I have tried getting a link. Maybe you guys could help.

The reporter said: That there was suppose to be the trade but the KIngs backed out know Utah wants in the trade.

props to hoopskillz, OTK, Eyecue and DA.....
Shaq Fan

Postby BDG on Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:53 pm

This would only really be good for the Warriors and the Mavs.

Nick Van Exel is 2 times better than all those other players.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Kobe Stopper is LeBron on Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:05 pm

I have heard this also. But I have heard Miami would send Ostertag to NY for Harrington or Eisley. so it would be a five team trade.
Kobe Stopper is LeBron

Postby Shaq Fan on Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:08 pm

You think LeBron could stop Kobe!?>>>>THATS FUNNY :man10: :man10:

props to hoopskillz, OTK, Eyecue and DA.....
Shaq Fan

Postby Vasashi17 on Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:21 pm

Why would anybody want to take on Ostertag's big [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] contract. The real winners of the trade would be Utah and Golden State. The Mavs will add next to nothing with an undersized Grant...give me a break....and the Knicks or Miami are getting screwed by getting Ostertag. I thought Miami wanted to rebuild with youth....Ostertag is the answer?
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:29 pm

Well actually Ostertag is in his final year, so I guess it wouldn't be too bad for all the teams. But I still don't get one thing....doesn't Utah need to fulfill a salary min. and by getting rid of Ostertag's $8M and getting Fortson's $5M, they would still be well short of reaching the min. I guess there will be more non-impact players included just to match up salary wise...but still I don't understand how it helps Utah....Fortson is only minimally better then Greg.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Roscoe on Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:51 pm

I think the Jazz would do this move to get to the salary minimum. And Miami gets a bigman who isnt that good but he's big. Plus, when Ostertag's contract expires Miami will be well under the cap. They'll have at least 15-18 million dollars in cap space, this gives them a great chance to make a run at next years top Free Agents. Players like KG and Kobe or Rasheed Wallace. Dallas gets an interior defender, and someone who can rebound. And Golden State gets Nick who can take Gilbert Arenas' spot...

"Injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere." - Martin Luther King Jr.
Roscoe
ClubLakers O.G.

Postby Vasashi17 on Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:57 pm

Good point Roscoe, but I was wondering how the hell they would reach the minimum if they gave up 8 million to get a 5 million contract in return...that would put them 3 million more dollars further away from the min. right?
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby SWOL on Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:07 pm

the only thing that dosent make sense is Utah is under the cap min....they need to add salary not dump it......i wonder if they get taxed for being under does anyone know
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby SWOL on Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:09 pm

i know the min is 32.8 mil and Utah is way under
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby Roscoe on Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:12 pm

Fortson has a big contract...

Roscoe
ClubLakers O.G.

Postby Vasashi17 on Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:12 pm

No there's no tax per say, but they get penalized and obviously that will be a fine...but i'm not certain it would be dollar to dollar like it is if you exceed the salary cap
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Roscoe on Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:14 pm

Hey I just had a thought, why the hell wasn't Utah part of the Brad Miller trade instead of San Antonio. They could have given up Ostertag, who's contract is gonna end. Damn, stupidass Kings and Pacers...

Roscoe
ClubLakers O.G.

Postby Vasashi17 on Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:14 pm

Roscoe wrote:Fortson has a big contract...

Roscoe it's 5.4 million, while Ostertag's is 8.7 million...that's huge if you are thinking salary wise. Derek Fisher is gettin paid 3 million this season...Utah needs to make that 3 million up with another above-average player.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby FabFourLakers on Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:30 pm

Roscoe wrote:I think the Jazz would do this move to get to the salary minimum. And Miami gets a bigman who isnt that good but he's big. Plus, when Ostertag's contract expires Miami will be well under the cap. They'll have at least 15-18 million dollars in cap space, this gives them a great chance to make a run at next years top Free Agents. Players like KG and Kobe or Rasheed Wallace. Dallas gets an interior defender, and someone who can rebound. And Golden State gets Nick who can take Gilbert Arenas' spot...

This trade makes a lot of sense. Everyone is a winner when it comes to next year's free agency. I can see Miami goin for someone of the likes of KG, they could actually sign KG and another prime time player, and still have jones, wade, and butler. The warriors would be HUGE winners off this trade, because nick van exel is 10 times better than all those players, and he is something the warriors need, a solid point guard. And that would mean they could bring claxton off the bench since boykins looks to be a lock in denver. I dunno if the mavs really get what they want in this trade, cuz then they would hafta search for a solid back up point guard, because avery johnson is not what they had in mind, i mean then they'll have a crowd in the front court, with lafrentz bradley nowitzki and grant, but it could actually work out, if they put nash 1, finley 2, nowitzki 3, grant 4 and lafrentz/bradley 5. The jazz, well they are going nowhere. Atleast they got keon clark. Looks like they're headed to the lottery for the first time in 18 years.
FabFourLakers

Return to NBA Discussion