Insider:5 guys that may be on their way out

Insider:5 guys that may be on their way out

Postby JSM on Tue Dec 16, 2003 3:14 pm

According to ESPN Insider, here are 5 guys that may call somewhere else home relatively soon. And look for several deals to continue to go down, since guys that were signed this off season can now be traded.

Juwan Howard, F, Magic

Contract: 6 years, $37 million
The Skinny: The Magic signed Howard because they believed he would be the piece of the puzzle that made them a contender. The team is 4-20 now and has no chance at contending for an Eastern Conference title. Howard didn't fit in the front court with Drew Gooden the way GM John Gabriel and then-coach Doc Rivers had hoped, and there's no sense in keeping him around.

If the Magic are going to shake things up, Howard is one of their most valuable assets in a trade. His contract is pretty reasonable, and several teams -- including the Pistons, Timberwolves and Bulls -- showed a lot of interest in him this summer. If the Magic can get a point guard or a big man back, they'd have to pull the trigger.

What about a package of Howard, Andrew DeClerq, Tyronn Lue and Steven Hunter for Brent Barry and Jerome James? The move addresses both of the Magic's needs without taking on any long-term deals. It also gives the Sonics a veteran power forward to help anchor their front line.

Mike Sweetney, F, Knicks

Contract: 3 years, $5.9 million
The Skinny: So much for the Knicks' youth movement. Sweetney is sitting on the injured list, along with the team's two second-round draft choices, Maciej Lampe and Slavko Vranes. With so many front-line players -- Antonio McDyess, Kurt Thomas, Keith Van Horn, Othella Harrington and Clarence Weatherspoon -- Sweetney won't see the light of day this year, or next if the Knicks re-sign McDyess. Scott Layden has been working the phones diligently, and he might be able to improve his chances of making a deal if he sweetens it with Sweetney -- one of the more-coveted low-post players in last summer's draft.

James Posey, F, Grizzlies
Contract: 4 years, $22.6 million
The Skinny: The Grizzlies just signed him, but with the trade for Bonzi Wells, Posey becomes expendable. There's no rush to trade him, as he's still the team's best perimeter defender, but if including Posey in a larger deal gives Jerry West the all-star or big man he has been coveting, he wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger.

This may be blasphemy to Kings' fans, but a package of Posey, Stromile Swift and Jake Tsakalidis for Vlade Divac makes some sense for both teams. With the way Brad Miller is playing, this may be the Kings' best chance to restock on some talent while Divac is still under contract. Divac's expiring contract may be of some concern to the Grizz, but West really wants to make the playoffs this season, and adding Divac to the mix would probably guarantee it.

Zoran Planinic, PG, Nets

Contract: 3 years, $3.1 million
The Skinny: Planinic was supposed to come in and play a major role on the Nets this year, and his performance in the summer league and the preseason seemed to confirm that. But since then, he has had a falling out with coach Byron Scott and has played just seven minutes since Nov. 22. Scott has complained about Planinic's work ethic, but one source close to the situation claims Scott just doesn't like the rookie's game. The Nets need help in a lot of places, and Planinic is coveted by a number of teams. He may turn into the sweetener that helps the Nets pull off a bigger deal.

Michael Olowokandi, C, Timberwolves
Contract: 3 years, $16 million
The Skinny: Injuries have stalled Olowokandi's season once again, but there's enough frustration in Minnesota already over the Kandiman that the T-Wolves might be looking to deal. GM Kevin McHale feels an enormous amount of pressure to win this season after making a number of offseason deals. Could a Howard-for-Olowokandi swap satisfy both teams' needs?

The T-Wolves pursued Howard hard this summer, and the Magic were on the verge of getting Olowokandi before the league denied them their medical exception for Grant Hill. Howard helps Minnesota immediately. Olowokandi may turn out to be a wash for the season, but given the Magic's current state, that's not a big deal. Kandi is still young enough that they can afford to wait on a legit big man. The other team to watch for here is the Grizzlies, who also made a nice offer for Olowokandi this summer.
User avatar
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator
 
Posts: 93538
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:40 pm
Location: Atlanta

Re: Insider:5 guys that may be on their way out

Postby FabFourLakers on Tue Dec 16, 2003 4:24 pm

jsm0331 wrote:According to ESPN Insider, here are 5 guys that may call somewhere else home relatively soon. And look for several deals to continue to go down, since guys that were signed this off season can now be traded.

Juwan Howard, F, Magic

Contract: 6 years, $37 million
The Skinny: The Magic signed Howard because they believed he would be the piece of the puzzle that made them a contender. The team is 4-20 now and has no chance at contending for an Eastern Conference title. Howard didn't fit in the front court with Drew Gooden the way GM John Gabriel and then-coach Doc Rivers had hoped, and there's no sense in keeping him around.

If the Magic are going to shake things up, Howard is one of their most valuable assets in a trade. His contract is pretty reasonable, and several teams -- including the Pistons, Timberwolves and Bulls -- showed a lot of interest in him this summer. If the Magic can get a point guard or a big man back, they'd have to pull the trigger.

What about a package of Howard, Andrew DeClerq, Tyronn Lue and Steven Hunter for Brent Barry and Jerome James? The move addresses both of the Magic's needs without taking on any long-term deals. It also gives the Sonics a veteran power forward to help anchor their front line.

Mike Sweetney, F, Knicks

Contract: 3 years, $5.9 million
The Skinny: So much for the Knicks' youth movement. Sweetney is sitting on the injured list, along with the team's two second-round draft choices, Maciej Lampe and Slavko Vranes. With so many front-line players -- Antonio McDyess, Kurt Thomas, Keith Van Horn, Othella Harrington and Clarence Weatherspoon -- Sweetney won't see the light of day this year, or next if the Knicks re-sign McDyess. Scott Layden has been working the phones diligently, and he might be able to improve his chances of making a deal if he sweetens it with Sweetney -- one of the more-coveted low-post players in last summer's draft.

James Posey, F, Grizzlies
Contract: 4 years, $22.6 million
The Skinny: The Grizzlies just signed him, but with the trade for Bonzi Wells, Posey becomes expendable. There's no rush to trade him, as he's still the team's best perimeter defender, but if including Posey in a larger deal gives Jerry West the all-star or big man he has been coveting, he wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger.

This may be blasphemy to Kings' fans, but a package of Posey, Stromile Swift and Jake Tsakalidis for Vlade Divac makes some sense for both teams. With the way Brad Miller is playing, this may be the Kings' best chance to restock on some talent while Divac is still under contract. Divac's expiring contract may be of some concern to the Grizz, but West really wants to make the playoffs this season, and adding Divac to the mix would probably guarantee it.

Zoran Planinic, PG, Nets

Contract: 3 years, $3.1 million
The Skinny: Planinic was supposed to come in and play a major role on the Nets this year, and his performance in the summer league and the preseason seemed to confirm that. But since then, he has had a falling out with coach Byron Scott and has played just seven minutes since Nov. 22. Scott has complained about Planinic's work ethic, but one source close to the situation claims Scott just doesn't like the rookie's game. The Nets need help in a lot of places, and Planinic is coveted by a number of teams. He may turn into the sweetener that helps the Nets pull off a bigger deal.

Michael Olowokandi, C, Timberwolves
Contract: 3 years, $16 million
The Skinny: Injuries have stalled Olowokandi's season once again, but there's enough frustration in Minnesota already over the Kandiman that the T-Wolves might be looking to deal. GM Kevin McHale feels an enormous amount of pressure to win this season after making a number of offseason deals. Could a Howard-for-Olowokandi swap satisfy both teams' needs?

The T-Wolves pursued Howard hard this summer, and the Magic were on the verge of getting Olowokandi before the league denied them their medical exception for Grant Hill. Howard helps Minnesota immediately. Olowokandi may turn out to be a wash for the season, but given the Magic's current state, that's not a big deal. Kandi is still young enough that they can afford to wait on a legit big man. The other team to watch for here is the Grizzlies, who also made a nice offer for Olowokandi this summer.


if that posey, swift and big jake for divac trade EVER happened, it would be tha worst trade since elton brand for tyson chandler trade....why in tha blue hell would tha grizzlies trade 3 young guns who all have potential for an old and washed up goin-to-retire-within-tha-next-three-years floppy center named divac? i woudl hate to see tha kings nab THREE quality players for divac...

i like tha olowokandi for howard trade...
User avatar
FabFourLakers

 
Posts: 11715
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:47 pm
Location: Irvine, CA

Re: Insider:5 guys that may be on their way out

Postby JSM on Tue Dec 16, 2003 4:35 pm

FabFourLakers wrote:i like tha olowokandi for howard trade...


It would definitely make the Magic better, giving them a decent big man, whether he's soft or not. He is better than Howard. But Hunter would have to be included in this deal, because the T-Wolves would need someone who could play center, and Howard can't, and I don't think they would want to move KG up to the center position.
User avatar
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator
 
Posts: 93538
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:40 pm
Location: Atlanta

Re: Insider:5 guys that may be on their way out

Postby FabFourLakers on Tue Dec 16, 2003 4:40 pm

jsm0331 wrote:
FabFourLakers wrote:i like tha olowokandi for howard trade...


It would definitely make the Magic better, giving them a decent big man, whether he's soft or not. He is better than Howard. But Hunter would have to be included in this deal, because the T-Wolves would need someone who could play center, and Howard can't, and I don't think they would want to move KG up to the center position.


well KG is playin center right now, even tho they have ervin johnson and oliver miller as back ups, and not to mention madsen...i like Garnett Howard Spree Cassell and Sczcerbiak...they can match up with lots of western conference teams with that lineup....of course maybe not tha lakers
User avatar
FabFourLakers

 
Posts: 11715
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:47 pm
Location: Irvine, CA

Postby JSM on Tue Dec 16, 2003 4:43 pm

wow, I didn't know KG has been playing center, if this was the 90's, he wouldn't be able to pull that off, but now since there aren't many dominant true centers (only 1 comes to mind), they can afford to let him play center
User avatar
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator
 
Posts: 93538
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:40 pm
Location: Atlanta

Postby FabFourLakers on Tue Dec 16, 2003 5:03 pm

jsm0331 wrote:wow, I didn't know KG has been playing center, if this was the 90's, he wouldn't be able to pull that off, but now since there aren't many dominant true centers (only 1 comes to mind), they can afford to let him play center


yea i remember in tha 90s there were so many dominant centers, hakeem, SHAQ(tha lone star now), alonzo, patrick ewing, david robinson, rik smits(he was good for a bit...), etc etc

but now adays its about tha versatile PF's, Garnett, J'Oneal, Duncan, Randolph, Wallace, Nowitzki, Walker, Webber, Amare, etc etc

tha center position will be extinct when shaq and yao retire
User avatar
FabFourLakers

 
Posts: 11715
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:47 pm
Location: Irvine, CA


Return to NBA Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.