Iverson's wife files for divorce

Postby Basketball Fan on Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:26 am

http://www.ajc.com/sports/allen-iverson ... id=thbz_hm

Allen Iverson's wife files for divorce

* ShareThis
* Print

By Rhonda Cook

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

A week after the Philadelphia 76ers' Allen Iverson announced he was leaving basketball for the rest of the season to be with his sick 4-year-old daughter, the star’s wife filed for divorce in Fulton County Superior Court.
Quantcast
More Sports stories »

* Allen Iverson's wife files for divorce
* Second-round scores from state tournament
* Hawks handle 76ers
* UGA QB derby begins
* Braves | Falcons | Hawks | Thrashers
* College: UGA | Tech | Ga. teams
* High Schools | Recruiting news
* TV Listings

In the divorce petition filed on Tuesday, Tawanna Iverson said her 8 ½-year-long marriage to the guard was “irretrievably broken.” In the petition, Tawanna Iverson asked for temporary and permanent custody of their five children as well as child support and alimony.

She did not ask for a specific dollar amount.

The children range in ages from 17 months to 15 years.

The children and their parents have lived in north Atlanta since August, according to the court filing. Before that, the family claimed homes in Rochester, Mich.; Englewood, Colo.; Denver, Colo.; and Villanova, Pa.

On Feb. 22, Allen Iverson and the 76ers announced that he was leaving the team for personal reasons.

The former NBA MVP and four-time scoring champion said he wanted to be in Atlanta to be with his daughter, Messiah, who had an undisclosed illness.

In a posting on Twitter, Allen Iverson wrote: “I need to be there to hold my little girl’s hand and encourage her to get better. I wanted her to wake up every morning and see her Daddy’s face, at least until she got better. Through God’s Strength, She Will Keep Getting Better!”

Prior to that announcement, Iverson had missed five games and the All-Star Game to be with his family.

The team said Tuesday, the day the divorce petition was filed, that lverson would not return to the team this season.

“After discussing the situation with Allen, we have come to the conclusion that he will not return to the Sixers for the remainder of the season, as he no longer wishes to be a distraction to the organization and teammates that he loves very deeply,” 76ers general manager Ed Stefanski said. “It has been very difficult for Allen and the team to maintain any consistency as he tries to balance his career with his personal life.”
Basketball Fan

Re: Iverson's wife files for divorce

Postby LakersFirst007 on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:05 am

Damn, worst year ever for Iverson!!
LakersFirst007

Postby MadMax on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:07 am

When it rains...
MadMax
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Radner on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:08 am

Iverson's daugther is suffering illness and the wife decides to do this now?
Radner

Postby assassin08 on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:09 am

Wow... could she not pick a better time for this...
"I've learned that I have the strength to change."

- Al Pacino as Michael Corleone

assassin08

Postby MadMax on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:20 am

I'm assuming it was a long time coming. Sometimes when tramatic things happen or have happened in a family, marriages tend to fall apart rather than get stronger.
MadMax
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Shadow on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:21 am

This sucks for Iverson. It just goes on to show that no matter how much money you have, it just cant buy you happyness. I hope everything goes well for Iverson and I truly do wish him the best!
Shadow

Postby strikemode14 on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:22 am

Is she the mother of the sick child?

Wow if she is then she is pretty pathetic and a lowblow. I hope she doesn't get jack from him.
Strikemode14 is the greatest.

http://gprime.net/flash.php/postingandyou

]
strikemode14
Forum Manager

Postby MadMax on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:28 am

strikemode14 wrote:Is she the mother of the sick child?

Wow if she is then she is pretty pathetic and a lowblow. I hope she doesn't get jack from him.

You think Iverson is going to let the Mother of his 5 children (with her) "not get jack" from him? Believe me, a guy who has made the type of dough as he has is going to have to pay a hell of a lot of child support (and some).

Also, you don't really know what's been going on in their marriage or life to say it's pathetic or a lowblow. Perhaps this is the best thing for both of them.
Last edited by MadMax on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
MadMax
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Basketball Fan on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:29 am

Yes she's the mother of their sick child.

But if you believe the stuff going around the web that AI was using this as an excuse to hook up with his "jumpoffs" and this pretty much was the last straw for her.

That being said I don't really feel bad for either of them she knew who she married.

The kids however have my regards.
Basketball Fan

Postby Forward Three on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:31 am

I can hardly imagine a more difficult, laborious and unflattering career end for one of the best players of the last decade.
Forward Three

Postby kray28 on Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:12 pm

Radner wrote:Iverson's daugther is suffering illness and the wife decides to do this now?

That's what I thought too.

No class, no sense of tact, and no shame. (I'm talking about AI too, in this case).

They both deserve each other.
Last edited by kray28 on Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kray28

Postby GNC on Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:14 pm

damn..

ill daughter, wife filing for divorce, no career in basketball.

hope everything turns out alright.
GNC

Postby strikemode14 on Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:17 pm

MadMax wrote:
strikemode14 wrote:Is she the mother of the sick child?

You think Iverson is going to let the Mother of his 5 children (with her) "not get jack" from him? Believe me, a guy who has made the type of dough as he has is going to have to pay a hell of a lot of child support (and some).

Also, you don't really know what's been going on in their marriage or life to say it's pathetic or a lowblow. Perhaps this is the best thing for both of them.

I know she will but, I it just kind of ticks me off a little that your daughter is fighting for her life and you are filing for divorce. IF they want to separate cool but, they really need to focus on their daughter not trying to get child support and custody right now.

So in short not mad at the divorce mad at the timing when daughter is sick.
Strikemode14 is the greatest.

http://gprime.net/flash.php/postingandyou

]
strikemode14
Forum Manager

Postby Chopper on Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:19 pm

brutal. timing sucks.

i hope AI gets one more year in the NBA to wipe this last one away. Just play hard from the bench on a decent team and enjoy a farewell tour without this kind of drama.
Chopper

Postby Satan on Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:52 pm

I hope he gets custody of the kids, he seems like a good parent.
Peter - "But then Jesus, what religion should our family be?"
Jesus - "Six of one, they're all complete crap."
Satan

Postby theforumblue on Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:56 pm

no more $$ coming in...TIME TO FILE FOR DIVORCE!

yeah it's probably more complicated than that, but damn...
theforumblue

Postby lalfan on Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:04 pm

Radner wrote:Iverson's daugther is suffering illness and the wife decides to do this now?

why not, she realize he's got no more $$$ left to milk.
lalfan

Postby GinoDB on Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:09 pm

why file at this time ?. its not like being married means they have to be chained to each other, just stay married until the daughter gets better and live in different houses or whatever
GinoDB

Postby jimbo327 on Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:31 pm

After the payments, AI is going to make one of those comebacks (for money), but this time, it'll be for chump change and a minor role. He's going to need the paychecks after all those alimony and child support sucking him dry.

Medical and Lawyer payments are the worst kind because they just take your money fast and you basically have no choice but to pay them.

Do it Mitch? :man9: :man1:
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby karacha on Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:18 pm

Perfect timing.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Basketball Fan on Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:05 am

Basketball Fan

Postby Basketball Fan on Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:48 am

Sounds for real this time maybe this is why he wants to come back to the NBA the $$$ is running out.

http://www.ajc.com/news/allen-iversons- ... orts_82038

Allen Iverson's wife re-files for divorceShareThisPrint E-mail .By Alexis Stevens

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

The wife of former NBA star Allen Iverson has re-filed for divorce, an attorney told the AJC.

Tawanna Iverson initially filed for divorce March 2, 2010, in Fulton County Superior Court, citing that her marriage was “irretrievably broken.” The announcement came a week after Allen Iverson announced he was leaving the Philadelphia 76ers for the rest of the season to be with a sick daughter. The couple has five children.

That divorce petition was later dropped, Allen Iverson's attorney, Jonathan Levine, told the AJC Wednesday afternoon. But on Monday, Tawanna Iverson re-filed for divorce, said Levine, who declined to discuss the specifics regarding the initial filing.

Tawanna Iverson's attorney, John Mayoue, was unavailable for comment.

Allen Iverson, a former NBA scoring champ and all-star, is currently playing professional basketball in Turkey. He has said publicly he would like to return to the NBA to finish his career.

On March 30, he was a passenger in his own 2007 Lamborghini Murcielago that was stopped by Atlanta police for switching lanes without signaling. Iverson became irate and shouted expletives at the police officer, according to a report obtained by the AJC.

The Lamborghini had a dealer tag, despite being owned by the basketball star for two years, and a tow truck was called.

"Take the vehicle, I have 10 more," he reportedly told the officer at the scene. "Police don't have anything else [expletive] to do except [expletive] with me. ... Do you know who I am?"

Iverson's vehicle remained in an impound lot Wednesday, Officer Kim Jones with Atlanta police told the AJC.
Basketball Fan

Postby kingjsun on Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:47 am

when it rains... it pours.
Buckle up! This off season is going to be some ride...
kingjsun

Postby Lakeshow24 on Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:17 pm

"Switching lanes without signaling." And they impounded his car over the dealer plates. :lol:
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Next

Return to NBA Discussion