Jabbar wants to be a coach

Jabbar wants to be a coach

Postby JSM on Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:26 pm

That's right, former Laker great Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is trying to land either an assistant or head coach job.
Philadelphia Inquirer: Whoever thought the day would come when Kareem Abdul-Jabbar would no longer have a place in his game?

Abdul-Jabbar has been trying to land an NBA coaching position, either as an assistant or a head coach. But he has yet to find someone willing to give him a shot at the job.

Though no one denies Abdul-Jabbar's stellar credentials, some observers point to his temperament and history of aloofness as the reason so many teams have snubbed him. Real Sports, in collaboration with Sports Illustrated, also talks to Abdul-Jabbar, who says he is baffled by the apparent freeze-out.

Hall of Famer Jerry West says: "I played against him. I coached him. At times I thought I knew him. Other times I had no idea who the heck he was."

Orlando Magic vice president Pat Williams: "Can we work with him? Can we get along with him? What kind of guy is he going to be? Kareem remains an incredible mystery to people."

The one chance Abdul-Jabbar ever got to coach in the NBA came midway through the 2000 season, when he was brought in by the Los Angeles Clippers to work with young center Michael Olowokandi. The experiment was less than a smashing success.

"Michael Olowokandi did not feel he needed to learn anything from me," Abdul-Jabbar says. "Learning how to do a simple thing like set a pick. He just wasn't interested in listening to what I had to say."

Do yall think he would be a good coach?
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Guest on Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:48 pm

He's too shy and humble, he doesn't go out of his way to tell people things, he keeps to himself. That's the main reason people don't wan't him being their coach.

And that was also why he got behind the both for CBS and tried to prove that he is outsspoken, but it didn't really work.

Wasn't he going to be coach of like Cal State Fullerton or Irvine or something?

Postby rydjorker121 on Sat Dec 27, 2003 9:43 pm

Agreed. I don't think he'll play very well as a coach. It's no small wonder that he wasn't even an assistant coach yet to this very day. He's good as a player, but not as a coach...too humble and aloof.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby FabFourLakers on Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:05 pm

i dunno sumtimes tha weirdest ppl are good coaches...but like ssomeone said...msot NBA coaches were not great players in tha NBA...very few have been really good, like Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, etc etc Phil Jackson was not a GREAT Player, he was a role player, an observer...Byron Scott was also not a superstar, but he was a role player, an observer...thsoe kinds of players who become coaches become REALLY GOOD coaches...
FabFourLakers

Postby JSM on Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:11 pm

Isiah Thomas was a great player, and a pretty decent coach
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Guest on Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:42 pm

Most head coaches were once point guards.. They know the floor and everyones role better.

Larry Bird, Isiah Thomas, Lenny Wilkins were awesome coaches and they were players.

Magic Johnson never got a proper shot to be a head coach, he coached a horrible team that was desperate for a few weeks.

Postby magicmoment on Sun Dec 28, 2003 12:31 am

well you never know till u see him coach...
"Fix your hair Sasha. Gotta look pretty now" - Stu Lantz
"Lakers play for Championships" ~Lamar Odom
"I just missed some bunnies." ~Kobe on Game1 [NBA Finals]

Estamos Aquí!

add my fansite:
http://www.myspace.com/sashavujacic18
magicmoment

Return to NBA Discussion