James Harden: $80m Extension With Rockets

Re: ROCKETS to acquire James Harden!

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:48 pm

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
The Rockets send Kevin Martin, Jeremy Lamb and future draft considerations to the Thunder for Harden, sources tell Y! Sports.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby The Rock on Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:49 pm

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
The Rockets send Kevin Martin, Jeremy Lamb and future draft considerations to the Thunder for Harden, sources tell Y! Sports.

wow thats all HOU gave up?

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:50 pm

Yeah and the Thunder sent over quite a few players as well

I still need to process this a bit since I'm kind of still in WTF mode, but honestly I think our path to the Finals just got easier
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby Ras Algethi on Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:52 pm

WTH? There's got to be more to this. How does this benefit OKC? Only thing I can think of is financially. Maybe Harden wanted too much down the line or wanted to be "the man" on his own team of sorts.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:52 pm

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/262385153844858881

As part of deal, Thunder will receive "significant" future draft picks from Houston, source tells Y! Sports

The Rockets hold the Raptors pick, Im guessing thats going to OKC too

Kevin Martin is a $13 mil expiring. He might come in handy around the deadline with that Raptors pick (which is is probably lottery bound)

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby jimbo327 on Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:54 pm

I'm liking that Obaka extension more and more right now.
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:59 pm

This is just stupid on Oklahoma City's part. They basically killed their chances of beating the Lakers. Absolutely moronic move.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby thebluemamba14 on Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:00 pm

I wonder if Mitch tried to offer Blake, Duhon, and Morris just for the LOL's :man1: :man10: :man10:
thebluemamba14

Postby Snake Eyes on Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:00 pm

Kevin Martin and James Harden are not that different statistically. The only major difference is at the three point line.

Snake Eyes

Postby The Rock on Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:01 pm

http://blog.newsok.com/thunderrumblings/2012/10/27/james-harden-traded-to-houston/

The Oklahoma City Thunder has traded reigning Sixth Man of the Year James Harden, The Oklahoman has learned.

Harden will be sent to Houston for Kevin Martin, rookie Jeremy Lamb, two first-round picks and a second-round pick. The Thunder is also sending center Cole Aldrich and guards Daequan Cook and Lazar Hayward to the Rockets.

The deal comes on the heels of negligible progress being made on a contract extension for Harden following nearly four months of negotiating. As a result, the Thunder parted ways with the fan favorite after stagnant talks made it clear Harden would be too much of a financial burden to keep.

If no deal was reached on an extension by Wednesday’s midnight Eastern deadline, Harden would have become a restricted free agent next summer. Houston is believed to now be ready to ink Harden to the maximum-allowable contract that Harden has long been believed to covet.

A report by Yahoo! Sports on Saturday said Harden recently turned down a four-year extension worth roughly $52 million. The report also was the latest to say Harden is pushing for a max deal, expected to be roughly $60 million over four years.

But with max contracts extended to Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook — as well as more than $52 million invested in Serge Ibaka and Kendrick Perkins over the next three seasons alone — the Thunder faced the possibility of stiff penalties under the new, more punitive collective bargaining agreement.

Had the Thunder been able to ink Harden to a $13 million annual contract, a franchise playing in the league’s third smallest market would have owed $67 million to just five players next season. That figure would have increased to $70 million in 2014-15 for those same five players.

The tax threshold for this season is $70.3 million. Starting next season, teams must pay an incremental rate starting at $1.50 for every dollar they exceed the threshold.

NBA commissioner David Stern has trumpeted “player sharing” in this new collective bargaining agreement, and the Thunder becomes the first team to fall victim to the more stringent rules.

Oklahoma City will receive a protected first-round pick from Toronto in 2013, a pick the Raptors sent Houston in the Kyle Lowry trade, as well as a protected 2013 first-round pick from Dallas, which the Rockets received from the Lakers in last year’s Derek Fisher trade.

The second-round pick is 2013 selection belonging to Charlotte. Houston acquired it from Boston in the Courtney Lee trade. It’s the same pick the NBA recently forced the Thunder to convey to the Celtics as compensation for Jeff Green missing the entire 2011-12 season with a heart condition.

Martin, a 6-foot-7 shooting guard, is a career 18.4-point scorer who is known for his perimeter shooting and efficiency. The 29-year-old Martin is entering his ninth season and will make $12.9 million in the final year of his contract.

Lamb, this year’s 13th overall pick, averaged 17.7 points, 4.9 rebounds, 1.7 assists and 1.2 steals last season as a sophomore at Connecticut. Lamb, 20, is among the most athletic rookies in this year’s class.
Harden will make his lone appearance inside Chesapeake Energy Arena as a member of the Rockets on Nov. 28.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby gill on Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:07 pm

Didn't see this coming.... but if it makes OKC worse, I'm all for it. They gave up quite a bit just to get back a one-dimensional scorer.
gill

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:08 pm

OKC just got worse IMO.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby The Rock on Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:08 pm

That is NICE. Both are gonna be in the 15 to 20 range probably

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/statuses/262388508382081024?tw_i=262388508382081024&tw_e=details&tw_p=tweetembed

Houston sends two 2013 first-round picks (from Dallas and Toronto) to Oklahoma CIty, source tells Y!

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby The Rock on Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:09 pm

- This hurts OKC in the short term which helps the Lakers (since we're only worrying really about this year and next year)
- OKC gets better long term because Jeremy Lamb is a good player. Martin expiring contracts allow them to play in Free agent market, they can use that Toronto pick to bag a nice young role player in the draft (mid teens pick)

I think both teams win.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby therealdeal on Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:13 pm

WOW
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:15 pm

There comes a point in time where you have to stop building assets and looking towards the future and get inwin now mode. OKC was definitely good enough to win now, I think they set themselves back a couple years with this.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby dj vitus on Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:16 pm

I just sold my tickets to the Houston game!!! :bang:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby Weezy on Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:18 pm

Snake Eyes wrote:Kevin Martin and James Harden are not that different statistically. The only major difference is at the three point line.

Statistics tell very little of the story here. Martin is always injured, and has never played in a significant game I can remember. Harden was a huge piece of OKC, he had a bad Finals, but before that he was clutch all playoffs, if take Harden over Martin every time. Seems like kind of a weak trade for OKC to me, unless Lamb is betted than anticipated.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:18 pm

Lin and Harden? not bad

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Vasashi17 on Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:24 pm

OKC's owner wants to avoid taxes at all costs. The Kmart contract will simply expire cause they have Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka and Perkins taking up most of the team's cap next season and none of them are expiring sooo this was basically to remain competitive this season with Kmart filling in for Harden and to strengthen themselves long term via the draft. They got Lamb out of the deal and 2 more rookies (possibly 3) with the 2013 draft. That right there will fill out the roster for next season cause the will only have the mini MLE to use in free agency. This deal was made strictly for salary purposes and probably Harden and his agent playing hard ball which the owner didn't like.

Good deal for Houston, especially since no one really thinks about heading there as a free agent, so bring them in via trade...haha.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:26 pm

I remember when Harden posted this on twitter when we got Nash....

James Harden ‏@JHarden13
Built this foundation from ground up.....

.....Until your greedy a** knocked that foundation off its base.
Doc Brown

Postby revgen on Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:30 pm

therealdeal wrote:WOW
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:32 pm

DOne purely for financial reasons. They were hoping to convince Harden to take less, but since that wasn't going to happen, they dumped him for cheaper guys. OKC doesn't have a market that can sustain paying luxury penalties, so they have to sign someone cheaper. They have to go for guys that are on the rookie scale, like their big 3 were the last few years.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby BDG on Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:32 pm

Wow kinda shocking how quickly they pulled the trigger on this.

I think the biggest loss here for OKC was athleticism. That was a big part of who they were.

Now I don't really know if that's their identity anymore.

The Rock wrote:Martin expiring contracts allow them to play in Free agent market, they can use that Toronto pick to bag a nice young role player in the draft (mid teens pick)
Unless I'm missing something, OKC doesn't have cap space next year. Durant, Westbrook, Perk & Ibaka all have big contracts that don't expire for a bit.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby 24K GOLD on Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:32 pm

We might be ending up as the winners of this trade.
I'm joining the communist now.. I don't like World peace...

24K GOLD

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion