James Harden: $80m Extension With Rockets

Re: ROCKETS to acquire James Harden!

Postby hollywood swinger on Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:47 pm

Harden = big time momentum shifting player. he actually can defend as well. kevin martin ? people are trying to justify kevin martin as equal to harden? :man10:
the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
hollywood swinger

Postby Vasashi17 on Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:54 pm

OKC's offer 54.4M over 4 years
Houston can offer max for 5 years, which is about 75-80M and Texas has no state tax.

Got 25M problems and the tax ain't one...
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby hollywood swinger on Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:56 pm

big chemistry blow to okc. checkout Lakers trading their 6th man of the year in the off season.
the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
hollywood swinger

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:10 pm

Wow, I definitely did not see this one coming. OKC took some steps backward for sure. Certainly they just made our lives easier this season.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:24 pm

Just seriously imagine the psychological damage this is going to cost right at the start of the season. Wow. That team built themselves on the "family" ideal. Perkins talked all of that mess during the summer. All of them said fairly similar things.

This is going to hit them pretty badly. I think they'll bounce back and they're certainly WCF worthy. But damn... remember what happened when we traded LO. The team was never the same after that.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby kobe_008 on Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:30 pm

Both teams are winners here

Sam Presti is real good GM maybe next to Mitch
The pick from Toronto is really the deal maker here and martin's expiring is an insurance
Lamb is defenitely going to contribute and maybe become as good as james harden

The only issue they have is the chemistry they have it may take them another year before they get back
kobe_008

Postby jimbo327 on Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:46 pm

Let's just say that if Harden wasn't on the OKC, and it was Martin last year in the playoffs...OKC does not beat the Lakers.
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby TIME on Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:50 pm

The right elbow of MWP is disappointed at this news.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:51 pm

First step of KD sigining with the Lakers in the 2016 summer : COMPLETED
wcsoldier81

Re: James Harden Open To Signing With Suns

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:52 pm

I wasnt surprised!

puffyusaf#2 wrote:I see him breaking out... Someone is going to overpay him to be a starter plain and simple. OKC can't afford to keep all four of those guys. Harden and Westprick are cocky enough to think they should be focal points for their teams... Yup I can see him leaving OKC.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:54 pm

TIME wrote:The right elbow of MWP is disappointed at this news.

have no fear, afaik the houston jersey doesn't come with a helmet.

wcsoldier81 wrote:First step of KD sigining with the Lakers in the 2016 summer : COMPLETED

:man10: :jam2:
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby ben_ready on Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:11 am

Lamb is a baller the thunder took a low but they will be right back yell™
great "scott"! you're too "green", and not "worthy" enough to taste the "magic" "kareem"(cream)/You flew the "coop" "west" so don't fuss just drive the "buss"(bus),while i eat my "chick" n' "stu"(chicken stew) in the aisle,"back 2 back" with "riles" my favorite laker squad
ben_ready

Postby 24K GOLD on Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:16 am

I'm joining the communist now.. I don't like World peace...

24K GOLD

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:46 am

By the way , Cuban keeps losing :man10:
wcsoldier81

Postby GT-R on Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:55 am

Win-Win situation for both teams.

The Rockets get a player that they wanted without giving up any of their core players and Harden will get the max extention he wants. Harden will also get a bigger role and a chance to start on the Rockets. This trade sets back the Thunder right now, but helps them in the long run. They got a big expiring contract, draft picks, and young player that can help them off the bench with a cheap contract.

The Thunder decided to trade him now while his value is still high and before his contract situation became a distraction to the team during the season. They did not want to take the risk of Harden getting injured or his value dropping before the deadline.
#firemikebrown
GT-R

Postby GT-R on Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:07 am

The real sad part about this whole situation is the Thunder got more for Harden before he enters his prime than the Magic got for Howard during his prime. :man10:
#firemikebrown
GT-R

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:09 am

Wojo

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--inside-look-at-james-harden-s-trade-to-rockets-28301609.html;_ylt=AuNOHckp2ZlFmQv5V5f6oTULcykA;_ylu=X3oDMTFoZnA0Y2I3BG1pdANCbG9nIEluZGV4IGJ5IEF1dGhvcgRwb3MDMQRzZWMDTWVkaWFCbG9nSW5kZXg-;_ylg=X3oDMTFrODdzYXZuBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANhdXRob3IEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

For months, Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey called on Oklahoma City's Sam Presti, probing him with a simple question: Want to discuss a deal for James Harden yet? Over and over, the response had been an unwavering no. The Thunder wanted to sign Harden to a contract extension, hold together their young core and try to win championships for years and years.

Finally, there had come a call within the past several days to Morey: Presti wanted to seriously discuss the framework of a trade, because if Harden wouldn't take the Thunder's final offer, this promised to be the next step. From owner Clay Bennett to Presti and assistant GM Troy Weaver, a decision had been made: James Harden had played his final game for the Thunder.

After turning down a $52 million extension several days ago, Harden's agent, Rob Pelinka, flew from Los Angeles to Oklahoma City on Friday for a final sit-down with Presti. He wanted a max contract of four years, $60 million for his client, and had come to Oklahoma City to push management as far as it would go on an offer.

Before sitting down a final time with Pelinka, Presti became more serious in his discussions with Morey. Houston wanted Harden badly, believed he would evolve into a transcendent franchise star for a championship-caliber team and planned to award him a five-year maximum contract worth nearly $80 million. So, Presti laid out what he wanted for Harden and the original price was steep: Kevin Martin, Chandler Parsons, Jeremy Lamb and three first-round picks, including Houston's own in 2013.

Across 72 hours and culminating on Friday night, the deal became this: Martin, Lamb and two first-round picks, including a guaranteed plumb lottery pick via Toronto. Before Presti sat down with Pelinka on Saturday morning to make his final offer of $54 million over four years, the Rockets were made to understand: If Harden turns down, your long-awaited star is on his way to Texas.

In those finals hours on Saturday, the NBA made clear to Oklahoma City and Houston: Under no circumstances could Morey and Pelinka discuss a potential contract extension. Nevertheless, it was understood Morey would never let Wednesday's deadline pass without giving Harden the five-year max extension that wasn't available in Oklahoma City.

All along, Pelinka and Harden understood: From the Rockets, to the Phoenix Suns, to the Dallas Mavericks, there was a maximum contract offer awaiting him in free agency. Harden's market value wouldn't be dictated on the fact the Thunder planned to pay him as the franchise's third-best player. Less money and a sixth-man role – after a summer with Team USA at the Olympics, this was an impossible sell on Harden.

The impact on the Thunder locker room won't have the dark fallout some fear. When word reached Russell Westbrook late on Friday, he was disappointed Harden was gone – loved him as person, a teammate – but he wasn't devastated over the deal. Privately, Westbrook loved how Presti had strengthened the back of the Thunder roster with two rookies, Perry Jones and Houston draft pick Jeremy Lamb. He always admired how Martin had scored on the Thunder.

Center Kendrick Perkins also had privately told people he believed a trade was inevitable, too. To a man, none of the key Thunder players were surprised this happened, and none are conceding championship aspirations. In some ways, they can all breathe out now: This is the team, and now they go forward.

If nothing else, Westbrook and Kevin Durant have long learned to trust the judgment of Presti and Weaver. When the Thunder couldn't get an extension done with Jeff Green, they turned him into a piece the franchise desperately needed: Perkins. Everyone in the organization privately knew this, too: Harden wouldn't have thrived with the uncertainty and questions that would come with him unsigned past Wednesday, with him headed to the Feb. 21 trade deadline and, ultimately, restricted free agency on July 1.

Harden struggled in the NBA Finals, tried too hard and slowly, surely unraveled over the course of the series. When the rest of the Thunder were celebrating a Game 1 victory over Miami in the locker room, Harden could be heard grumbling over too few shots (five), and too few minutes (22).

Veterans Derek Fisher and Perkins laid into Harden, telling him essentially: We just won an NBA Finals game and the last thing in the world that ought to worry you are your individual statistics. Harden apologized, but it was clear his mindset wasn't right. He never found his way back into a proper rhythm in the Finals.

This isn't an indictment of Harden. He cares deeply, but it is hard to be 23 years old and needing to prove yourself worthy of the salary that will come with stardom. There's a popular argument that Harden isn't worth max money, because he played so poorly in the Finals. He was magnificent for the Thunder a year ago, regular season through the Western Conference finals victory over San Antonio. If he ever gets there again, he'll probably play better.

The Rockets don't need Harden to play well in the Finals this year, or next, because they won't be there. They'll now feature an offense around Harden and believe he'll blossom into an annual All-Star, an all-league player.

Oklahoma City's front office was melancholy on Saturday night. They had drafted this core, developed it and hoped they could keep it together for years and years. Ownership might have gone further with its final offer of $54 million, but Presti drew the line on how much he was willing to invest into Harden and ended the talks there. The NBA's new collective bargaining agreement delivers devastating luxury-tax penalties to teams over the cap – $1.50 for every dollar over the tax threshold – and Presti simply couldn't justify the cost. This wouldn't go until Wednesday night's deadline, Presti informed Pelinka. That's the final offer, and his next call would be to Houston to tell Morey: Let's reach out to the league office and get a trade call to make this official.

In the end, Presti would secure a player to score off his bench this year (Martin), a gifted prospect for the future (Lamb) and a lottery pick that could give the Thunder a chance to draft another elite talent. Giving the Thunder another protected first-round pick from Dallas was more than Houston wanted to do, but the Rockets weren't willing to let Presti get on the phone and find a better deal. Morey believes Jeremy Lin and Harden will be stars in the NBA, and he's gambling his own – and his franchise's – future on it.

From Sam Presti to Daryl Morey to James Harden, everyone ran his share of risk in this scenario and it all tumbled into motion in these final, frenzied 48 hours. This is the kind of deal that changes careers, changes franchises, and everyone breathed out on Saturday and understood: No turning back now.
wcsoldier81

Postby SublimeAnarky on Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:41 am

@realdeal: the chemistry bit will need to play itself out.. but i dont think you can compare the drop off we had when we gave up LO to what OKC will have as a result.

We got nothing (in production) in return for the LO deal. that hurt us. OKC actually played this well, they\ve got someone who can put up points AND two young 'uns now at complementary positions (Lamb/PJIII) that can grow their potential while on rookie scale salaries.. this is a smart deal by presti, imo - which covers some part of the loss in production from Harden and an investment in the future.
SublimeAnarky

Postby Lakeshow24 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:13 am

A good deal for both teams.
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Postby Congo Cash on Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:06 am

Finally a good move by the Rockets...
- insert signature here -
Congo Cash

Postby karacha on Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:23 am

Obviously, the Rockets win right now. They got the best player, who might be even able to carry them... we're never seen Harden in that role, but he might be good enough. OKC will pay for this early in the season because of the chemistry and they became easier for us to beat. Yet, since Kmart is an expiring contract, they might get better once they trade him. If their GM is good -- and we know he is -- they will be very strong again, which means they didn't exactly lose with this trade. Not in the long run. But for now, this trade works in our favor.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:41 am

Well I guess if Brown don't f this up we'll be in the finals. Harden was the one who made OKC tough to beat because he was destroying scrubs and can hang with the opposing team's starting off-guards.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby JLaker17 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:41 am

The Thunder did get worse in this trade, but I don't really consider them as a loser as this may really benefit them in the future. For us though, gearing up for the short term success this is really good news. This move came as a shock, but I really liked it for the fact that the Thunder GM did not play games with Harden and he just shipped him out after the attempts to resign fell through.
JLaker17

Postby lakersStan24 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:27 am

well done okc you well and truely shot your selfs in the foot with this one I Have said this to My self many times okc dont trade harden and be like Us When we traded Lamar but they fell into the trap of thinkingwe can survive without him which okc can't
Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
lakersStan24

Postby strikemode14 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:27 am

Honestly I like it from the thunder perspective. They get martin who IMHO can give you the majority of harden's production off the bench. He isn't as good harden but for the fact he is far cheaper then harden and can give you some very good production off the bench I really don't see the thunder losing that much especially since harden CHOCKED in the finals.
Strikemode14 is the greatest.

http://gprime.net/flash.php/postingandyou

]
strikemode14
Forum Manager

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion