James Harden: $80m Extension With Rockets

Re: James Harden Open To Signing With Suns

Postby Jigglin Jello on Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:53 pm

Surprised he's not doing the let the contract expire and sign a new one that's worth more than an extension thing. We'll see how much like a family that team really is if he has the chance to get more money somewhere besides OKC. Will be good news for the Lakers if he's elsewhere but I almost hate to see OKC break up, they're a fun team to watch and I'm looking forward to some good years of battling with them.
“We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.”
― Charles Bukowski
Jigglin Jello

Postby jimbo327 on Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:58 am

revgen wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:They will make OKC choose between Harden and Ibaka, if they do offer him a contract.

Not necessarily. OKC still hasn't used their amnesty.

If it comes to it, I won't be surprised if they amnesty Perkins and sign some cheap fill-in center to keep both Ibaka and Harden. Perkins is nice to have for his pick-setting and his ability to defend post-up players like Bynum/Howard, Duncan, and Pau. But if they have to kick him out to keep Harden/Ibaka, they'll do it.

That would still be great because I would love to see Perkins off that team. He does a lot of intangibles for them.
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby pound4pound1 on Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:19 am

he really should sign with the Suns...it will be a GREAT move for him...i fully endorse Harden leaving the Thunder
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby jimbo327 on Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:42 pm

I hope Kobe gives Harden a ton of crap about not starting, and being a bench player. :man10: Tell him that he is too good to come off the bench, and that bench players don't make the starter money.

And make sure the Westbrook hears this conversation too. And don't give Westbrook any praise, just to mess with him.

Kobe can do a lot of good while he's their teammates in the Olympics. :man10:
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby JSM on Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:59 am

If OKC is smart and they have to choose, they'll eep Harden and ship Westbrick out.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:14 pm

JSM wrote:If OKC is smart and they have to choose, they'll eep Harden and ship Westbrick out.

I am not of fan of Westbrick but I am sure Harden does what he does against starters.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby purp n gold on Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:44 pm

Harden is most likely going to go. For OKC it's as simple as Ibaka being a center, and a more rare commodity than Harden. Not to mention Ibaka is actually a good player, and not just a 7' stiff.

That being said PHX will not be a bad squad after a year:

Dragic/Marshall
Harden/Johnson/Dudley
Beasley/Johnson/Dudley
Scola/Frye/Beasley
Gortat/Scola
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby strikemode14 on Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:07 am

JSM wrote:If OKC is smart and they have to choose, they'll eep Harden and ship Westbrick out.

Up to the finals I would have given you this...but after the finals he just came up so small...sure the heat defense played well but it just felt he was really timid at times and was overdoing the flopping...Like he IMHO from a potential max player to like a MLE guy to me. Westbrook shoots WAY too much but at least he did come up huge in some of those games.
Strikemode14 is the greatest.

http://gprime.net/flash.php/postingandyou

]
strikemode14
Forum Manager

Postby JSM on Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:28 pm

^ Honestly if I'm OKC, I have a bigger issue with Westbrick's forcing the issue and thinking it's his team. It's Durant's team. Everyone falls in line, but Russell. If you think at the end of the day that Westbrook is more talented than Harden...I wouldn't argue that, but I still put the emphasis on fit and chemistry for the team and for Durant. I would have done the Westbrook for TP deal when the Spurs were shopping him last summer. They can move him for a damn good starting point, possibly another asset or two, and let Westbrook go be the #1 on some team.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby revgen on Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:03 pm

For all of the horrible shots he takes, Westbrook is a pretty damn good PG defender. I'm not so sold on Harden on the defensive end. You could argue that Harden has Iblocka to help him out, but I still think Westbrook's defense puts him ahead of Harden and ahead of "chemistry issues" that might result from Westbrook shooting too much.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Thunder Signing James Harden 'Might' Be Impossible

Postby Kobe8Fan on Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:30 pm

Thunder Signing James Harden 'Might' Be Impossible

Sam Presti didn't say that signing James Harden would be impossible.

It just seemed that way.
On the day that the Thunder held a press conference to tout the deal done with big man Serge Ibaka, the focus predictably turned to Harden. Signing Ibaka last month meant that three-fourths of the Thunder's young and talented core was secure. Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook and Ibaka are all under contract beyond next season.

“James is somebody we value,” Presti said Monday afternoon. “We think he's an important part to what we're trying to do with our team and we're hopeful that he'll be with us.”

No doubt about that. Harden is super talented, a rare combination of shooter, slasher and distributor. His offensive skills provide an amazing complement to those of Durant and Westbrook.

“By the same token, we've been very upfront and transparent with everybody that we have some inherent challenges that we face as an organization as a result of the new collective bargaining agreement,” the Thunder general manager continued. “I know we'd love to have him here. I think James would like to be here as well. But at the end of the day ... you have to find a way to make it work for everybody.”
Notice those qualifiers in there? By the same token? But?

You don't have to read far between the lines to realize the reality — striking a deal with Harden is going to be like walking uphill on an icy sidewalk.
Darn near impossible.

The deadline to sign him is Oct. 31, so there's still a lot of time to hammer out the details. But Presti seems to be laying the groundwork for what will happen when a deal doesn't get done — Harden will become a restricted free agent next summer, some team will offer him an exorbitant amount of money that the Thunder won't be able to match, and Harden will be playing for another team after this season.
The problem is the luxury tax.

In the 2013-14 season, when the new contracts for Ibaka and Harden would begin, the luxury tax would kick in once a team's combined player salaries reach $72 million. The Thunder already has $53.9 million committed to Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka and Kendrick Perkins for that season.

The team could amnesty Perk, but unless some of these newly acquired bigs grow a serious nasty streak, I wouldn't recommend it.
But even if the Thunder ultimately cuts ties with Perkins, Harden would still have to sign for $10 million a year or so for the team to stay out of luxury-tax trouble. And even then, it might exceed the limit.

http://newsok.com/thunder-signing-james ... z268ckC7Kz
Last edited by Kobe8Fan on Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kobe8Fan

Re: Thunder Signing James Harden 'Might' Be Impossible (Pg. 2)

Postby abeer3 on Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:50 am

yikes. they better get a good return in trade for him. he crapped the bed in the finals, but i'm not sure if they win a round in the playoffs last year without his early heroics.
abeer3

Postby therealdeal on Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:57 am

abeer3 wrote:yikes. they better get a good return in trade for him. he crapped the bed in the finals, but i'm not sure if they win a round in the playoffs last year without his early heroics.

Sign and trade him to Orlando for some picks.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:16 pm

Sign and trade for Pau. :man1:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Phil XI on Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:42 pm

He'll be a Laker. Sooner or later.
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby revgen on Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:37 pm

I like how the writer tries to write-off the Perkin's amnesty angle as if it's not even a possibility. If you want to keep Hardin, you've got to give Perkins the boot. If you want to keep Perkins, you let Harden go. There's no way around it.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:18 pm

Don't want him. I prefer players that play hard to win, not flop and cheat hard.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby therealdeal on Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:47 pm

revgen wrote:I like how the writer tries to write-off the Perkin's amnesty angle as if it's not even a possibility. If you want to keep Hardin, you've got to give Perkins the boot. If you want to keep Perkins, you let Harden go. There's no way around it.

I think it's more than that though because Harden is going to make more than Perkins anyway. They're going to have to let go of Maynor probably and maybe let go of Collison as well unless those guys sign for cheap.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:22 pm

^^Collison is signed until 2014-2015 for 2 million dollars. He's already signed to cheap.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby PiNOYLaKERSFaN on Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:57 pm

option 1 - resign Harden, amnesty Perkins

option 2 - keep Perkins, lose out on Harden

It's going to depend on the maturity and growth of Perry Jones IMO. If he does look like he'll be a good 6th man then say goodbye to James Harden.

I don't know why they're putting so much focus on Harden either, two gunslingers in one team is enough. Majority of the time, the ball has GOT to go through Durant. He's THAT good and they can't waste his abilities by having another player take away shots from him (which I think is the main reason they lost to Miami)
PiNOYLaKERSFaN

Postby davriver290 on Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:13 pm

basically, go small or stay with your two big guys. Their defense will suffer if they amnesty Perkins. And also they would have to sacrafice at least another player for this to work.
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby therealdeal on Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:44 pm

Doc Brown wrote:^^Collison is signed until 2014-2015 for 2 million dollars. He's already signed to cheap.

Then not him :man10:

Still though they need to also let go of another guy if the want to try to give that jerk's money to that other jerk.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby John3:16 on Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:32 pm

revgen wrote:I like how the writer tries to write-off the Perkin's amnesty angle as if it's not even a possibility. If you want to keep Hardin, you've got to give Perkins the boot. If you want to keep Perkins, you let Harden go. There's no way around it.

Agree. And I think that was their thinking, as Perkins has no place on the court against Miami. However, a certain team in Southern California traded for a certain center that forces OKC to keep Perkins if they want to even think about getting back to the Finals (which I don't think they'll do).
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby PiNOYLaKERSFaN on Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:40 pm

John3:16 wrote:

Agree. And I think that was their thinking, as Perkins has no place on the court against Miami. However, a certain team in Southern California traded for a certain center that forces OKC to keep Perkins if they want to even think about getting back to the Finals (which I don't think they'll do).

Even if they amnesty Perkins, they can still only offer Harden around $10-12 million per and I don't think Harden will leave THAT much money on the table when he gets offered contracts starting at $16 million per. I don't care if they consider themselves brothers, he's gone.
PiNOYLaKERSFaN

Postby John3:16 on Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:44 pm

PiNOYLaKERSFaN wrote:Even if they amnesty Perkins, they can still only offer Harden around $10-12 million per and I don't think Harden will leave THAT much money on the table when he gets offered contracts starting at $16 million per. I don't care if they consider themselves brothers, he's gone.

Young and talented, so I'm sure someone will foolishly throw that kind of money at him. But they shouldn't. He's not a franchise player. You would NEVER build your team around him and expect greatness. $10 - 12 million is almost too much, IMO. But I do agree with you that some idiot owner will over spend on him.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion