James Harden: $80m Extension With Rockets

Re: Thunder Signing James Harden 'Might' Be Impossible (Pg. 2)

Postby Kobe8Fan on Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:28 pm

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine

About Monday's press conference in OKC to announce Ibaka's contract extension that got upstaged by all the talk about Harden's future ...

OKC knows Harden is virtual lock to receive max offer in July if not extended by Halloween and he gets all way to restricted free agency

I know at least two teams near OKC (Houston & Dallas) that are huge Harden fans and will have cap space to sign him to loaded offer sheet

Harden wants to stay. OKC's star trio legitimately tight. But would you, at 23, take less than max if you knew you could get max elsewhere?

In summary: Looks like this October won't be the usual sleepy start to the season that the reigning Western Conference champs enjoy in OKC

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/statu ... 1622373376
Kobe8Fan

Postby therealdeal on Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:47 pm

Fork up the cash OKC. Too late to amnesty Perkins this season. Maybe they let Harden go to Restricted Free Agency, then amnesty Perkins in the summer and make some more room for Harden.

Or maybe they let this season play out and see if he's worth the max to them at all. Maybe they try to pull a sign and trade (more money, more years at home right?) and get something back for him while keeping Perkins.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:21 pm

The KD process to the Lakers in Summer 2016 has begun
wcsoldier81

Re: James Harden Open To Signing With Suns

Postby Iceberg Slim on Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:18 am

JSM wrote:^ Honestly if I'm OKC, I have a bigger issue with Westbrick's forcing the issue and thinking it's his team. It's Durant's team. Everyone falls in line, but Russell. If you think at the end of the day that Westbrook is more talented than Harden...I wouldn't argue that, but I still put the emphasis on fit and chemistry for the team and for Durant. I would have done the Westbrook for TP deal when the Spurs were shopping him last summer. They can move him for a damn good starting point, possibly another asset or two, and let Westbrook go be the #1 on some team.

It is Durant's team JSM, I agree. So why doesn't KD just tell him that and MAKE him fall in line, like Mike, Kobe, AI, and all the other great guards before him did? Westbrook think its his because their isn't a force on OKC saying that it isn't. In fact, Durant tells him to keep shooting. Until Kevin steps up vocally and demands the rock, as he should've in the Miami series, the same style of play will remain in OKC.
www.thesportslyceum.com - personal blog

Iceberg Slim

Postby abeer3 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:41 am

i'm a bit of westbrook apologist. i think he takes shots because as good as durant is, he still can't consistently create his own shot as effectively as westbrook does. and he knows it. his coach knows it, too.

their problem in the finals was that harden and ibaka didn't show up. they both choked, big time.

that said, if the thunder don't hold on to harden, i think they drop back to the pack. they overpaid ibaka, and imo, if they were going to overpay, they should have done so with harden. ibaka's not a post player, so the "size matters" edict doesn't hold for me in this case. if they end up overpaying both, they'll have a big 2.5 that's paid like a big 4, which will be problematic for a team without a lot of cash coming in.
abeer3

Postby JSM on Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:58 am

Iceberg Slim wrote: So why doesn't KD just tell him that and MAKE him fall in line, like Mike, Kobe, AI, and all the other great guards before him did? Westbrook think its his because their isn't a force on OKC saying that it isn't.

I honestly don't think it's in Durant's DNA. He's too much of the likable guy to ever be the bad cop. I see him more of a Duncan than a Kobe, MJ, or AI in that regard.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Iceberg Slim on Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:05 am

Sadly, I agree JSM.
www.thesportslyceum.com - personal blog

Iceberg Slim

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:07 am

JSM wrote:
Iceberg Slim wrote: So why doesn't KD just tell him that and MAKE him fall in line, like Mike, Kobe, AI, and all the other great guards before him did? Westbrook think its his because their isn't a force on OKC saying that it isn't.

I honestly don't think it's in Durant's DNA. He's too much of the likable guy to ever be the bad cop. I see him more of a Duncan than a Kobe, MJ, or AI in that regard.

I agree. I think it's more likely you will see Westbrook vocally telling everyone it's his team, than Durant coming out and putting everyone in line.

Right now they are all very young and they seem to be just happy with playing and being on the same team. It will be interesting in a couple years, once their careers really start to unfold, who on that team will take the next step and solidify their spot as the man, the alpha male, the leader of the team.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:15 am

JSM wrote:

Which is honestly so unfortunate. Durant has so much talent and can be so much, but if he doesn't step up and take it, Russell is going to start costing him wins instead of helping him get there. When you've got two guys that do all the scoring and no one to do the distributing, that's just not going to work unless you've got some distribution method out there where you don't need a PG (Triangle).

But that OKC team is all about isolations, athleticism, and defense (that mostly feeds off of their athleticism). I don't see this team lasting against time like San Antonio.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:35 am

^^ Exactly my feelings all along about Durant. He has almost unlimited potential, but I do see two flaws in him, one much more correctible than the other:

-Correctible: No post game. And it's not just because he's slim; he just doesn't seem to like it. Whenever he posts up it's far away from the basket (almost at the 3pt line), or maybe he gets closer but he seems to always turn around and face up.. It's a shame because he could be VERY good and dangerous on the post. Doesn't need to bulk up that much. Look at Larry Bird, he was a BEAST on the post. Durant certainly has the touch (and the length) to be unstoppable down there.

-Not so correctible: No bad cop mentality / killer instinct / ruthlessness, whatever you want to call it. He's just too nice a guy, too humble.. He's not outspoken enough and he can't seem to put his foot down and say "this is MY team". And it's hurting OKC IMO.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:03 am

As this point as a player you are who you are as far as personality. Kobe is a straight up killer just like Mike was. Durant is a nice guy. He's never gonna be Kobe or MJ as far as personality. It's just not his nature.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Tobias Funke on Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:17 pm

Finwë wrote:-Not so correctible: No bad cop mentality / killer instinct / ruthlessness, whatever you want to call it. He's just too nice a guy, too humble.. He's not outspoken enough and he can't seem to put his foot down and say "this is MY team". And it's hurting OKC IMO.

It can work fine with the right personnel around him, like in Timmy's case. Ofcourse that would mean that they should pick Harden over Westbrook as some have suggested though. You always cater to your best player, especially when its a Kevin Durant type player.

I personally do think Westbrook has atleast an edge as the better overall player at this point , and IMO OKC will let Harden leave and hope that Russell can fall in line behind KD.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby kray28 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:38 pm

OKC was getting by on rookie contracts up to now...now it's time to pay the piper.

Not sad. Don't wish them well. Their entire franchise is stolen from Seattle by the crooked to the core Clay Bennett...thieves can never prosper.
kray28

Postby Finwë on Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:39 pm

Tobias Funke wrote:
Finwë wrote:-Not so correctible: No bad cop mentality / killer instinct / ruthlessness, whatever you want to call it. He's just too nice a guy, too humble.. He's not outspoken enough and he can't seem to put his foot down and say "this is MY team". And it's hurting OKC IMO.

It can work fine with the right personnel around him, like in Timmy's case. Ofcourse that would mean that they should pick Harden over Westbrook as some have suggested though. You always cater to your best player, especially when its a Kevin Durant type player.

I agree, I meant it considering the current personel and system
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Re: Kendrick Perkins On James Harden Deal: "It's Close" (Pg. 3)

Postby Kobe8Fan on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:15 am

Kendrick Perkins On James Harden Deal: "We're Getting Close"

Posted by Darnell Mayberry
on September 12, 2012M at 4:53 pm

With the deadline fast approaching for the Thunder to come to terms on a contract extension for James Harden, a potential sliver of hope was heard Wednesday afternoon.

Thunder center Kendrick Perkins, speaking following an appearance at a Thunder Fit event at a local middle school, said the two sides are “getting close” on a deal that would keep the reigning Sixth Man of the Year in Oklahoma City.

“We’re doing good. We’re making positive steps going forward,” Perkins said of the organization’s off-season. “We got coach (Scott) Brooks locked in. We got Serge (Ibaka) locked in. And we’re getting close with James, and we’re getting close to keeping our unit together. And we’re still hungry.”

Harden is eligible to receive an extension of up to four years. Harden is believed to be seeking a contract worth the maximum allowable amount, which could be $58 million. But with Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook already inked to maximum deals, as well as Serge Ibaka and Kendrick Perkins recently signing high-dollar extensions, the Thunder might not be able to afford to keep Harden with more severe penalties for teams that exceed the tax level set to kick in prior to the 2013-14 season.

If Harden doesn’t sign a deal by Oct. 31 he will become a restricted free agent next summer, which would allow him to hit the open market but gives the Thunder the right to match any deal he might be offered.
Training camp is scheduled to begin Oct. 1, and Perkins said he is confident that when Harden returns he’ll naturally want to remain with the team that drafted him third overall in 2009 without anybody needing to convince him to do so.

“Once James gets here it’s nothing to be said,” Perkins said. “He’ll see his family and that’s all he needs. So once he sees everybody’s faces that’s enough said.”

Thunder general manager Sam Presti on Monday reiterated the franchise’s desire to keep Harden around long term. But as is becoming the norm, Presti also stressed how the new collective bargaining agreement will force the Thunder to make some tough decisions. It could be a prelude to a deal not coming to fruition and Harden’s days in Oklahoma City being numbered.

“James is somebody we value,” Presti said. “We think he’s an important part to what we’re trying to do with our team and we’re hopeful that he’ll be with us. By the same token, we’ve been very upfront and transparent with everybody that we have some inherent challenges that we face as an organization as a result of the new collective bargaining agreement.
“I know we’d love to have him here. I think James would like to be here as well. But at the end of the day, those situations, you have to find a way to make it work for everybody. We’re hopeful that we can do that. But I can’t tell you what’s going to happen there.”

http://blog.newsok.com/thunderrumblings ... ing-close/
Kobe8Fan

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:42 am

It's funny, if you'd have asked me before the Finals who I would have extended I'd have said "Harden" in a heartbeat, but after watching him go ghost the way he did I tend to side with OKC in how they decided to lock up Ibaka first. I know he didn't really have a defined role as Team USA's 11th man, but Harden still looked like garbage during the Olympics whenever he was given an opportunity to go out and do something while IMO, Ibaka continued to look better (albeit he did have a much more defined role) playing for Spain. Honestly, given the way Harden disappeared last year in the Finals, I'd let RFA determine his worth at the end of the season. I get what OKC is attempting to do right now (i.e. justify a less than max extension by pointing out to Harden how he choked big time in the Finals), and I suppose if you can re-up with him for less than the max it'd be worth it, but if the man tries to play hardball, I'd force him to prove himself throughout the season.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby The Rock on Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:55 am

Despite what KPerk says OKC & JHarden not close to deal. Sides are talking. JH wants to stay but wants max. Let's see if OKC blinks b4 10/31

It would behoove OKC to sign JH b4 10/31 b/c next summer teams will offer poison pill max contracts that will be hard to match.

I hope Harden doesn't back off the wanting the max offer. It screws up OKC completely...if he gets max from them it ruins their flexibility moving forward, if he leaves and takes max elsewhere it breaks up their team

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby jimbo327 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:38 am

Harden is a weird cat. He is fine with coming off the bench even though he is good enough to play starter. I really hope he doesn't take less money to stay with OKC.
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby therealdeal on Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:26 am

^ It'd have to be a lot less.

The funny thing about Perkins talking about Harden is that if what he's saying is true and they're close to re-signing Harden, then he's gone. And all this family crap he's spewing is gone as well.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:00 am

therealdeal wrote:^ It'd have to be a lot less.

The funny thing about Perkins talking about Harden is that if what he's saying is true and they're close to re-signing Harden, then he's gone. And all this family crap he's spewing is gone as well.

I'm sure Perkins hasn't thought that far ahead. :man10:
XXIV

Postby therealdeal on Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:29 pm

therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:32 pm

XXIV wrote:
therealdeal wrote:^ It'd have to be a lot less.

I'm sure Perkins hasn't thought that far ahead. :man10:

It's tough to think when you're always constipated. Can tell just by the look on his face.....poor guy!

:man10:
LTLakerFan

Postby Tobias Funke on Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:57 pm

Im far from a Jerkins follower, but didn't he end up getting traded by the Green Scum because he was pissed they didnt offer him more money, even though him and Rondo and Co. were "family" as he puts it?

Im sure if/when Harden ends up leaving for max money Im sure people will look at him as greedy, probably some of his OKC "brothers" too. Im not saying he's a max player, but why should he be the one that signs for less when all the other guys got paid.

I love being a Laker fan. Our owner is pays when he sees championship potential. If this was the Lakers, Harden would get his money.

Welcome to the real world OKC.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby Congo Cash on Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:29 pm

Tobias Funke wrote:Im not saying he's a max player, but why should he be the one that signs for less when all the other guys got paid.

This... Why should he play the good Samaritan and ask less when guys like Ibaka and Perkins got paid? He doesn't deserve the max but you have to overpay them all at this point or they will bolt...
- insert signature here -
Congo Cash

Postby Rooscooter on Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:55 pm

Harden will get a max contract IMO..... and I'd bet that he wants a starting job as well...... Why continue to play behind Westbrook?.... he's a better fit for their team and I think everyone but Westbrook knows it.....
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
Rooscooter

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion