James Harden: $80m Extension With Rockets

James Harden: $80m Extension With Rockets

Postby Kobe8Fan on Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:47 pm

James Harden Plans To Stay With Thunder

The reigning Sixth Man of the Year says he doesn't plan to be coming off anyone's bench but Oklahoma City's.

James Harden said Saturday that he "loves it" with the Thunder and expects a contract extension to be worked out between his agent and Oklahoma City general manager Sam Presti.

"They'll do a pretty good job of working it out," Harden said. "I'm focused on several other things right now. But when the time is (right), they'll figure it out and it'll be done."

In his third season, Harden averaged 16.8 points, 4.1 rebounds and 3.7 assists while coming off the bench for the Western Conference champions and proved to be a key piece for the young and talented Thunder.

Harden, 22, said he recognizes the Thunder are in a good place, as Oklahoma City features a nucleus of 23-year-old Kevin Durant who won the league's scoring title and 23-year-old point guard Russell Westbrook.

"This team is like a family," Harden said. "Like, we're really brothers. We hang out most of the time every single day. You won't find any other team like this. I love it here."

As of July 1, Harden, along with Serge Ibaka and Eric Maynor, will become eligible to negotiate extensions to their rookie deals. The Thunder already have signed Durant and Westbrook to long-term deals and some wonder if Oklahoma City will be able to keep all of its talent together. Harden, however, cites the unique togetherness of the team as a reason why he might take less money to stay in OKC.

"This is something special here," Harden said. "A dynasty is being built here. So we're winning, we're having fun and we're brothers. The other stuff, you can't buy it."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/80898 ... -extension
Last edited by Kobe8Fan on Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:46 am, edited 8 times in total.
Kobe8Fan

Re: James Harden Open To Signing With Suns

Postby Kobe8Fan on Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:37 pm

Kevin Durant Backtracks On Certainty Of James Harden Extension

Sean Deveney ‏@SeanDeveney

Durant on tweeting #Thunder G James Harden 'won't be hitting market': "I may be wrong. I don’t sign contracts, I don’t negotiate contracts."

https://twitter.com/SeanDeveney/status/ ... 3577560064
Kobe8Fan

Postby Kobe8Fan on Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:43 pm

James Harden Open To Signing With Suns

by Dan Bickley, columnist - Jul. 27, 2012 09:39 AM
The Republic | azcentral.com

Former Arizona State star James Harden would consider signing with the Suns if his contract expires after next season.

"Yeah," he said. "Of course. I love it there. My mom lives there still. So that's definitely my second home as far as my comfort level and going to school there. But obviously, I'm with the Thunder right now and what we have is special."

Harden and his beard enjoyed breakout seasons in 2011-12, helping the Oklahoma City reach the NBA Finals. The Thunder already secured stars Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook to long-term deals, and by 2015, those two players alone will command $35 million.

This offseason, the team has a window of opportunity to extend Harden and Serge Ibaka, but salary cap restrictions and harsh luxury tax penalties will make it extremely difficult to sign both. At the very least, it would require great sacrifice from the players involved.

If no deal is reached, Harden will become a restricted free agent after next season. A team like the Suns could then make it very hard on Oklahoma City by signing him to a lucrative offer sheet.

"That's out of my hands," Harden said. "That's not my decision. That's the front office. I'll let them decide that."

For now, Harden sounds committed to the Thunder. He's a West coast kid, but has grown to appreciate Oklahoma City, where buildings were adorned with mock beards during the playoffs. Harden is only strengthening that bond by participating in the 2012 Olympics with Durant and Westbrook.

"The kind of support we have in Oklahoma City, it's the best in the NBA," Harden said. "Phenomenal. Beards in the crowd, the whole nine (yards). The city is really something special."

But things can change. Remember how united the rising Suns were in 2004-05, and how quickly it all fell apart over contractual issues? Traditionally, ascending stars like Harden aren't content to play third fiddle, especially at a discounted rate.

Even Durant, who has been adamant that Harden would remain in Oklahoma City, said his viewpoint was based more hope than fact.

"I'm not negative, I'm not going to think the worst," Durant said. "That's just me. That may not be the case, and I may be wrong. As of now, I think he's going to be here, and we're going to make a concerted effort to keep him here. But that's just me being me. We'll see what happens."

So keep the fingers crossed. On Thursday night in the Olympic Village, Harden reunited with a pair of Sun Devils, taking a picture with the Ike Diogu and Eric Boateng. And with a few good breaks, the beard could be coming home to play for the professional team in town.

Reach Bickley at dan.bickley@arizonarepublic.com or 602-444-8253. Follow him at twitter.com/danbickley. Listen to "Bickley and MJ" weekdays at 2-6 p.m. on XTRA Sports 910.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/ar ... -suns.html
Kobe8Fan

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:12 pm

What's a lucrative offer sheet?
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby quartzcharm on Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:22 pm

Can't see him leaving OKC for PHX.
quartzcharm

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:47 pm

It would be funny if ir happened. The OKC Dynasty over before it begins.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby dj vitus on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:29 pm

KeepBynum wrote:What's a lucrative offer sheet?

$12M per, maybe more.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:15 pm

I see him breaking out... Someone is going to overpay him to be a starter plain and simple. OKC can't afford to keep all four of those guys. Harden and Westprick are cocky enough to think they should be focal points for their teams... Yup I can see him leaving OKC.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby retro_nights on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:24 pm

he'll get the max, and thunder will match.
---
Team lakers
retro_nights

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:07 pm

retro_nights wrote:he'll get the max, and thunder will match.

thats not a given... The Thunder have Durant, Westprick, Ibaka and Harden who will all command a hefty pricetag on the market.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby 432J on Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:27 am

i highly doubt he leaves OKC at this point. why would he leave a team fresh off a finals appearance for a sub .500 club?
432J

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:19 am

432J wrote:i highly doubt he leaves OKC at this point. why would he leave a team fresh off a finals appearance for a sub .500 club?

oh besides the ego thing?

1. Chance to start
2. Money that is not a gaurantee he will get from OKC (not saying he wont mind you)

If he can get paid and stay in OKC I think he does but people saying "he is not going anywhere" like that is a fact. The point is that it isn't just clear cut he sticks around or that OKC is willing to pay him (plus the other 3) max money
puffyusaf#2

Postby FabFourLakers on Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:40 pm

I can see him leaving....he can definitely become a Top SG in the league....I'm thinking 23-7-6 type of numbers on his own team. Phoenix would be the team to get it done. He would have a solid enough supporting cast to warrant those numbers. I think it kind of depends on if OKC will win it all or not in the next 2 years. If they don't win, I see Harden leaving.
FabFourLakers

Postby 432J on Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:19 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
432J wrote:i highly doubt he leaves OKC at this point. why would he leave a team fresh off a finals appearance for a sub .500 club?

1. Chance to start
2. Money that is not a gaurantee he will get from OKC (not saying he wont mind you)

If he can get paid and stay in OKC I think he does but people saying "he is not going anywhere" like that is a fact. The point is that it isn't just clear cut he sticks around or that OKC is willing to pay him (plus the other 3) max money

he averaged 31 minutes a game off the bench last season. he's pretty much a bench player playing starter-type minutes. if he values winning over money there is no way he goes anywhere but if the suns throw a HUGE amount of money at him then i can obviously see why he would go.

the way things look in OKC right now though i just can't see him leaving
432J

Postby kenzo on Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:23 pm

How can OKC afford 3 max contracts plus Perkins and Ibaka? :man3:
kenzo

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:58 pm

432J wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:

1. Chance to start

he averaged 31 minutes a game off the bench last season. he's pretty much a bench player playing starter-type minutes. if he values winning over money there is no way he goes anywhere but if the suns throw a HUGE amount of money at him then i can obviously see why he would go.

the way things look in OKC right now though i just can't see him leaving

young guys want to start... it isn't about the minutes. Look at Westprick. The dude wasn't satisfied with being able to play next to KD he had to be the go to guy. How many times last year was their speculation about him needing to go? Young players leave to be the "man" especially if they have shown the skills to be the man. Older players let go of there games to win the ring. Is it out of the question he stays? No, like many I think if OKC tosses the money his way he stays. However, OKC has a lot of guys who are going to command 10+ mil a year in KD (20 mill player), Westprick (10 mil), Elbowhead (10 mil), Ibaka (10 mil).

I am not arguing that he would stay but it isn't so far-fetched he takes his beard and bounces.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:26 pm

kenzo wrote:How can OKC afford 3 max contracts plus Perkins and Ibaka? :man3:

They can't. They either have to let one of Ibaka or Harden go or amnesty Porkins. Hell they may have to do both.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:03 pm

KeepBynum wrote:
kenzo wrote:How can OKC afford 3 max contracts plus Perkins and Ibaka? :man3:

They can't. They either have to let one of Ibaka or Harden go or amnesty Porkins. Hell they may have to do both.

Tough decision for sure, mainly choosing between Harden and Ibaka. If it was me I keep Ibaka. You can always gets someone who can shoot and drive somewhere. But with Ibaka you get defensive and the ability to hit the 8-11 foot jumper too for a big which is hard to come by.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby jimbo327 on Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:25 pm

We need Phoenix to offer a lucrative contract to Harden to force OKC to match. :jam2:
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:28 pm

jimbo327 wrote:We need Phoenix to offer a lucrative contract to Harden to force OKC to match. :jam2:

With what cap space?
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:35 pm

They have 7 million in cap space for next year. All they need to do is decline Wesley Johnson's team option for next season (5.4 million) and the contracts of PJ Tuckers (760,000) and Jerome Dyson (884,000) and they can offer him a salary close to 14-15 million in the first year.

They will make OKC choose between Harden and Ibaka, if they do offer him a contract.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby revgen on Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:57 pm

Doc Brown wrote:They will make OKC choose between Harden and Ibaka, if they do offer him a contract.

Not necessarily. OKC still hasn't used their amnesty.

If it comes to it, I won't be surprised if they amnesty Perkins and sign some cheap fill-in center to keep both Ibaka and Harden. Perkins is nice to have for his pick-setting and his ability to defend post-up players like Bynum/Howard, Duncan, and Pau. But if they have to kick him out to keep Harden/Ibaka, they'll do it.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:11 pm

Durant - 18.9 million
Westbrook - 15.7 million
Collison - 2.2 million

36.8 million

Add in Harden on max contract....14 million + 36.8 = 50.8 million

Serge is going to get paid, judging by the market for big men. At least 10-12 million.

60+ million on a lineup of Westbrook / Harden / Durant / Collison / Ibaka

Throw in Reggie Jackson at 2.2 million (Team Option) and PJ3 at 1.1 million (Team Option) and it's up to ~65 million, assuming Serge doesn't get anymore then 10-12 million. It's going to be interesting to see what they do......
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby revgen on Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:02 pm

65 mil is fine. It puts them over the salary cap, but not over the luxury tax (70 million).
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:45 pm

65 million for 7 players. They will be at 75-80 million if they want to fill out their roster with decent backups. (Resign Thabo/Aldrich/Hayward/Maynor)

It's going to add up pretty quick.
Doc Brown

Next

Return to NBA Discussion