Jason Kidd Retires; named head coach of Nets

Re: Jason Kidd Retires

Postby 432J on Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:06 pm

favourite jason kidd memory, when he had bleach blonde hair
:man10:

432J

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:45 pm

I'm happy he got a taste of what it feels like to be a NBA champion. I want the same for Steve Nash.
Jazzygirl205

Postby Pig Miller on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:21 pm

John3:16 wrote:I love Kidd. From my neck of the woods. But no, he was never better than Isiah. Let's not forget that Isiah was the key person on a back to back championship team. Kidd led NJ to 2 Finals, but got destroyed both times. Got a ring with Dallas, but he wasn't one of the main reasons.

Also, that Detroit team had no other superstars. Rodman is the only other Hall of Famer from that team, but back then, he was just a sub who played good D, had energy, but wasn't gobbling up rebounds like he was in his SA / Chicago days.

you're forgetting joe dumars. i think dumars was also a finals mvp one of those years.
Pig Miller

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:26 pm

One of my favorite non-Laker ever. I wanted him to the Lakers since I saw him in Slam magazine sporting Cali gold. He was the closest to Magic as a playmaker/ passer...
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Balance&Options24 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:14 pm

The Laker that never was, Phil wanted him for Kobe during the Shaq years then Kobe wanted to ship Bynum's butt out for him.

Great career, only thing about that Mavs title I cared was he finally got a ring.
If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
Balance&Options24

Postby JSM on Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:27 pm

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 55m
Y! Sources: After meeting with Brooklyn Nets, Jason Kidd's coaching candidacy has gathered momentum. http://yhoo.it/190ZPIk

Kurt Helin ‏@basketballtalk 3h
Jason Kidd’s plan to hire Lawrence Frank has Nets taking him ‘seriously’ as head-coaching candidate http://
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Re: Jason Kidd Retires; coaching next?

Postby noobiew on Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:15 pm

I doubt Jason Kidd get the Brooklyn Nets head job, there are better candidate such as Lionel Hollins and Brian Shaw available to Brooklyn before him.
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby revgen on Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:44 pm

Part of the reason why Avery Johnson was fired was because he and the players (especially Deron Williams) did not see eye to eye.

Kidd, being a former PG, future HOF'er, champion, and 3x NBA Finals participant, may be able to reach Williams and the rest of the team with his reputation even if he's not so keen on the X's and O's of coaching.

Marc Jackson, who had no coaching experience at all, seems to be working out in Golden State. Why? First, like Kidd, he was a high IQ player who truly understood the game. 2nd, he was/is a natural leader. 3rd, because he understands what it's like to be a player and what players are thinking about from a personal standpoint. In order to get players to think "team first", you have to address their individual goals and how they interfere with team goals. Coaches who've never played professionally sometimes have problems understanding these issues. Hence why many former players tend to do well in the coaching ranks, often with very little coaching experience. Doc Rivers and Marc Jackson are the most recent examples.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:57 pm

^Very good points. In addition to that, if you can surround yourself with the right people to institute an offensive & defensive scheme, and you're set, IMO. The head coaches job in this league is above all learning how to manage ego's and what you touched upon. They can get other assistants to handle the other job responsibilities.

Nevertheless, I still don't think he gets hired. If anything, I think Lionel Hollins ends up going to Brooklyn, IMO. I think he's a better fit...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby 432J on Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:20 pm

with hollins and shaw available i don't see why they'd take such a gamble and hire kidd

but then again, look at pat riley and how he became the lakers coach. if i'm not mistaken, he was a broadcaster when dr buss made him HC and had no previous coaching experience. maybe hiring kidd is the spark that the nets need
432J

Postby nameant on Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:06 am

One of my top 5 favorites for sure. Kidd was just a flat out game changer even without being a very good shooter for basically his entire career. He truly made everyone around him better and got the best out of his teammates.
nameant

Postby sho on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:29 am

Finwë wrote:
trodgers wrote:He's one of my all time favorite players. An awesome career. Sad to see him go.

+1
Would you consider him a top 5 PG ?
If Jerry West is considered a SG, then I think could make it as a top 5 player in his position.
Magic, Stockton, Isiah, Big O, Kidd?
I didn't see Maravich play though, or Cousy or Frazier or Archibald.
What do you think?

I would probably put Iverson in that mix too. He may not have been the prototypical PG, but he was amazing. I can see sliding him over to PG and thus lowering his all-time rank but in PGs, I would think he would be in my top 10 and just outside my top 5. Kidd's in my top 10 as well, not sure if he breaks my top 5. Magic, Stock, Oscar, Payton, Nash are probably my top 5 and Kidd and AI would slide between 6-8 somewhere.
sho

Postby nameant on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:36 am

^ AI was a PG for what...maybe a year? Either way he wasn't the player Kidd was. AI was a volume shooter that never changed his game. Literally one of the worst "greats" the league has seen.
nameant

Postby Weezy on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:53 am

Retired like a week ago, already getting a head coaching interview. Guys like Shaw must be pissed wow.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby strikemode14 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:42 pm

revgen wrote:Part of the reason why Avery Johnson was fired was because he and the players (especially Deron Williams) did not see eye to eye.

Kidd, being a former PG, future HOF'er, champion, and 3x NBA Finals participant, may be able to reach Williams and the rest of the team with his reputation even if he's not so keen on the X's and O's of coaching.

Marc Jackson, who had no coaching experience at all, seems to be working out in Golden State. Why? First, like Kidd, he was a high IQ player who truly understood the game. 2nd, he was/is a natural leader. 3rd, because he understands what it's like to be a player and what players are thinking about from a personal standpoint. In order to get players to think "team first", you have to address their individual goals and how they interfere with team goals. Coaches who've never played professionally sometimes have problems understanding these issues. Hence why many former players tend to do well in the coaching ranks, often with very little coaching experience. Doc Rivers and Marc Jackson are the most recent examples.

The only difference is GS is more of a younger team so they are more likely to listen to a marc jackson father figure type guy. The nets are full of a vets such as williams, oh iso joe...Wallace etc. They may not listen to an inexperience guy.

I also think from what I've seen and have no idea if this is true but jackson has a stronger personality. Jackson seems like he can relate to guys but he will be on your butt if you mess up. I just think kidd would get respect but he wouldn't be tough enough to displine the guys.
Strikemode14 is the greatest.

http://gprime.net/flash.php/postingandyou

]
strikemode14
Forum Manager

Postby JSM on Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:35 pm

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 3h
Y! Sources: Jason Kidd has emerged as the strong frontrunner to become the Brooklyn Nets head coach. http://tinyurl.com/mfjten6

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 1h
Jason Kidd's targeting elite NBA assistant Tim Grgurich to be part of his potential coaching staff in Brooklyn, league sources tell Y!

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 2h
But one source close to process says J-Kidd has "natural advantage" in faceoff with B-Shaw given his star power and previous history w/Nets
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby SK8 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:09 pm

J Kidd is gamble, there are a lot better proven coaches free.
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby revgen on Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:25 pm

strikemode14 wrote:
revgen wrote:Part of the reason why Avery Johnson was fired was because he and the players (especially Deron Williams) did not see eye to eye.

The only difference is GS is more of a younger team so they are more likely to listen to a marc jackson father figure type guy. The nets are full of a vets such as williams, oh iso joe...Wallace etc. They may not listen to an inexperience guy.

I also think from what I've seen and have no idea if this is true but jackson has a stronger personality. Jackson seems like he can relate to guys but he will be on your butt if you mess up. I just think kidd would get respect but he wouldn't be tough enough to displine the guys.

Good point about Kidd's personality, but Avery Johnson was the tough son-of-gun coach who got into the player's faces. That didn't work out so well. Kidd's personality may fit in better with that group of guys.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:05 am

Jason Kidd is in negotiations to become the next coach of the Brooklyn Nets, a source familiar with the talks told The Philadelphia Inquirer. But league sources tell ESPN that the team will interview Brian Shaw on Wednesday as scheduled.

ESPN could not confirm or refute the Inquirer report regarding negotiations.

Kidd met with Nets general manager Billy King on Monday and sources said that he was impressive.

Kidd and the Nets are discussing a three-year contract and an announcement could come later this week, the Inquirer reported. It would be Kidd's first head-coaching job at any level after deciding to retire from the game after this past season.

Shaw was a longtime assistant to Phil Jackson with the Lakers but spent last season with the Pacers.

The Nets did not retain P.J. Carlesimo despite the fact he went 35-19 after taking over for Avery Johnson last season. The Nets were beaten by the Chicago Bulls in the first round of the playoffs.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_ ... eport-says
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Weezy on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:51 am

I can't believe that if it's true. You have a guy like Kareem who could never get a coaching gig, a guy like Ewing who's been trying to be a head coach for years, Shaw who seems to be close but can't seem to close a deal as head coach, and Kidd could get a job right after retiring.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:58 am

Weezy wrote:I can't believe that if it's true. You have a guy like Kareem who could never get a coaching gig, a guy like Ewing who's been trying to be a head coach for years, Shaw who seems to be close but can't seem to close a deal as head coach, and Kidd could get a job right after retiring.

It kind of makes you wonder if maybe those guys just aren't that good?...

There's still time for Shaw, but maybe Ewing and Kareem haven't been coaches because they just weren't that good at it?

Shaw is losing his luster for me a bit. Maybe he's just not that good. Maybe that's why he can't get the job.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:37 am

Well, I'd agree on Kareem and Ewing partly, I don't know that they aren't good, but they aren't alone in their class. I heard yesterday I believe it was, that not a single former center is a head coach in the NBA, and currently (or before the firings I'm not sure) 10 former point guards are. So maybe centers just don't make for good coaches, maybe not as much thinking the game as point guards have to. Shaw, I still think will be a good coach, I think teams just want to go after a bigger name, Kidd is a star name and he used to be the Net's star, that's the only reason I see him getting the job over Shaw if he does.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:47 am

Philadelphia Enquirer saying hes hired

http://www.inquirer.com/sports/20130613_Nets_to_hire_Jason_Kidd_as_head_coach.html?authenticate=y

According to a source with knowledge of the situation, Jason Kidd and the Brooklyn Nets have reached agreement on a contract that will install Kidd as the team's head coach.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby 432J on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:51 am

wow that is absolutely shocking news

but it's a gamble and it could pay dividends for the nets. although it gets you thinking, why cant shaw get a head coaching gig? he's been rumoured for just about every job the past few years and hasn't gotten anything. (except for the bobcats HC gig last year that he turned down)

it doesn't surprise me though that kareem hasn't ever had a coaching gig. his quiet demeanor and reserved personality just comes off as the wrong type for a coach to have which i'm sure is why teams have never taken a chance on him
432J

Postby The Rock on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:55 am

Kareem and Ewing aren't exactly gregarious and good with people. Thats a part of coaching. If people dont really find you interesting/appealing they're not really gonna hire you. Impressive resumes but how does that translate to the basketball court if you can't communicate well and have people find you interesting enough to listen to you?

Shaw is an excellent assistant. Maybe he'll be a good head coach one day but right nowhes not ready to be coach of a team that has playoff/title aspirations.

And he had very good players in West/Hibbert had all sorts of troubles countering the Heat's adjustments. Nothing worked.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion