Jason Kidd Retires; named head coach of Nets

Re: Jason Kidd Retires; coaching next?

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:29 pm

Weezy wrote:Well, I'd agree on Kareem and Ewing partly, I don't know that they aren't good, but they aren't alone in their class. I heard yesterday I believe it was, that not a single former center is a head coach in the NBA, and currently (or before the firings I'm not sure) 10 former point guards are. So maybe centers just don't make for good coaches, maybe not as much thinking the game as point guards have to. Shaw, I still think will be a good coach, I think teams just want to go after a bigger name, Kidd is a star name and he used to be the Net's star, that's the only reason I see him getting the job over Shaw if he does.

McHale is a Head Coach and he was a PF/C kind of guy. That's the only one I can think of off the top of my head. But I can't imagine he knows the game more or less than Kareem does... I think in Kareem's case he just doesn't have the personality for it. Ewing... Well I'm not sure he's on their level intellectually and with that kind of knowledge of the game.

As for Shaw... I just get this feeling he'll only end up coaching where Phil goes. And considering Phil isn't leaving LA, I'm not sure Shaw coaches for anyone as a Head Coach besides the Lakers one day.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Dratini927 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:46 pm

"Jason Kidd has reached an agreement in principle to become the coach of the Brooklyn Nets, league sources told Yahoo! Sports."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--jason ... 55903.html

:man4: Well there ya have it.
Matt the Drat

Dratini927

Postby MadMax on Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:47 pm

Wow, that's a pretty bold move by the Nets. It'll be interesting to see how that'll pan out.
MadMax
Clublakers Moderator

Postby 432J on Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:53 pm

this is as daring a move as it gets

but i see it as a blessing for a guy like deron williams. a proven all-star caliber PG who hasn't quite gotten to that next level. playing under a future hall of famer in kidd should really help him elevate his game
432J

Postby JSM on Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:19 pm

So Shaw met with the Nets for 4 hours today for no reason at all. It has to be pretty frustrating times for Shaw. Luckily, there's still a few decent jobs left.

As for my thoughts on the hire...
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby CGrand81 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:04 pm

This is a first in history, cannot really judge because there's no precedent.

Initial feeling: "odd"

But Lawerence Frank will be his #1 assistant, got some head coach exp.
CGrand81

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:08 pm

Hey Kidd is a smart player this should be interesting.

By the way CGrand it really isn't unprecedented since there have been player coaches. Not exactly the same of course but it is fairly similar I think.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby CGrand81 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:24 pm

Well unprecedent in terms of retiring and then immediately grabbing a head coaching job then next season.

Player coaches who have no exp usually have to wait a couple years, in that time I'm sure they are preparing and getting advice, setting up a playbook etc with Kidd it's a different scenario, similar I suppose like you said to others but definetly different.
Last edited by CGrand81 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CGrand81

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:24 pm

Wow! :man4:

I'd sure as bleep rather have Fish coaching the Lakers than Dan Tony if that was an only option.
LTLakerFan

Postby Weezy on Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:35 pm

I can't personally remember seeing this before, I think this used to happen before my time. It's pretty wild, it could either prove a good gamble and pay off, not change them much at all, or go really bad.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby scissors on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:04 pm

I'd rather have Kidd coach the Lakers than what we have now.
scissors

Postby 432J on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:56 pm

good they didn't hire shaw though

he can still come back to LA
:man1:
432J

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:52 am

It's bold, but makes a lot of sense to me because you really won't have to worry about the players (i.e. Deron Williams) not being able to connect with the coach because after all the coach now is a HOF players and just came out of playing the game 9 days ago. Kidd will have the respect of his players and should make for a fun atmosphere to follow for Nets fans.

I'm very curious to see how this next year works out for him, but I'll say it again I believe more good can come out of this than bad.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:08 am

Now he can pull a Magic and return to the floor.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby escobar8 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:17 am

that escaleded realy quickly...i wish him all the best...
plus i still think he would be their best backup pg...i expect d will to elevate his game to another level after gettinh coached by one of best pg ever...
escobar8

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:10 am

^^^ Dunno.....might be possibility D Will could bump heads with him too if Kidd has to get into him over something he doesn't like that Deron is doing.
LTLakerFan

Postby jlkr on Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:03 am

Not as if there's no recent precedence for Kidd's hiring: think Mark Jackson getting hired by GS without any previous coaching experience.

That said, I always liked Kidd's leadership. Nets were going nowhere with Stephon Marbury. Then they traded him for Kidd, pretty much straight up. It's no accident those Nets teams suddenly made two straight Finals appearances with largely the same personnel that had never got anywhere with Marbury at the point. Jackson was also a strong leader on the teams he played for. I think this sort of thing translates to possible success as head coaches. Witness Scott Skiles and Scott Brooks, former PGs with strong leadership skills, as other examples though those two did pay their dues as assistants before moving up.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby XXIV on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:40 pm

CGrand81 wrote:Well unprecedent in terms of retiring and then immediately grabbing a head coaching job then next season.

Player coaches who have no exp usually have to wait a couple years, in that time I'm sure they are preparing and getting advice, setting up a playbook etc with Kidd it's a different scenario, similar I suppose like you said to others but definetly different.

Jason Kidd is the fourth to have retired and then get a head coaching job the season after. I can't remember all the names ESPN was showing but one of them was Mike Dunleavy.

Edit: I found the other names and they include Paul Silas and Don Nelson.
XXIV

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:24 pm

Bleep!! Not a bad little baddasss group to join. Regardless of what one thinks about Mike. Logo liked him enough to do it.
LTLakerFan

Postby 432J on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:40 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:Bleep!! Not a bad little baddasss group to join. Regardless of what one thinks about Mike. Logo liked him enough to do it.

worst lakers coach alongside randy pfund

magic was a pretty bad HC as well from what i remember
432J

Postby Ring It Up on Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:27 am

Bold and dangerous move by the Nets. It could get real ugly.
How do I know Jesus loves me so much he doesn't want me working the whole weekend?
Exodus 31:15 Six days shall work be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the Lord. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day shall be put to death.
Don't believe those lies, son! The only lies worth believing are the ones in the Bible! Can I get an amen?
Ring It Up

Postby JSM on Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:05 pm

Howard Beck of The New York Times wrote:Kidd, the Nets’ newly installed coach, did his share of barking Sunday in a 76-67 loss to the Detroit Pistons. He instructed, applauded, cajoled and occasionally smiled. He also received a technical foul, for wandering outside the coaching box late in the fourth quarter. Actually, he wandered way outside — beyond midcourt and into the playing area, where the referee Curtis Blair promptly blew his whistle.

Clearly a rookie move.

“So it’s a lesson learned, that I know I can’t go past halfcourt,” Kidd said later with a wry grin, drawing laughter. “Hey, I’ve seen some of these coaches be all the way down on the other end. I can’t follow their lead in that aspect. I learned really quickly where the box is.”

:man10: Video of him getting T'ed up in his coaching debut in the link.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Re: Jason Kidd Retires; named head coach of Nets

Postby Weezy on Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:04 pm

Nothing about his DUI here? First using his cell phone during coaching summer league, then a DUI, I feel like the first of this generations player to coach isn't off to a shining start.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby MadMax on Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:03 am

Is it safe to say this gamble as turned into an absolute failure?

After Brooklyn Nets coach Jason Kidd blistered top assistant Lawrence Frank in a staff meeting on Nov. 4, the partnership was irreparably damaged and ultimately spiraled to its end on Tuesday, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Hours after a blowout loss to the Orlando Magic – Kidd's first game on the bench following a two-game suspension to start the season – the entire coaching staff witnessed Kidd lose his temper with Frank and escalate a strangely uneasy and brief coaching partnership together.

There had been conversations about moving forward together in recent weeks, league sources said, but the decision to let go of Frank was Kidd's choice.

Kidd told reporters on Tuesday night that Frank – the highest-paid assistant in the NBA – had been reassigned to writing daily reports and would no longer be on the Nets bench. It is unclear if the Nets will actually require Frank to perform those duties to gather the rest of his $1 million annual coaching contract, league sources said.

"With Jason," one league source told Yahoo Sports, "once he turns on you, he turns. That's how he was as a player, and that's what we're seeing again now."

The Nets have been in a spiral since the start of the season, a deluge of injuries and a novice head coach contributing to a 5-12 start and a series of embarrassing episodes.
Kidd has been at the crux of the criticism, including a $50,000 league fine for purposely spilling a cup of soda on the floor to try and manufacture a late-game timeout.

Around the Nets, officials and players insisted that Frank had returned to the organization as exactly who he had always been: prepared, organized, hardworking and strong in his convictions. Kidd had hired Frank to have a strong hand in the day-to-day coaching, game planning and practice preparation of the team, but quickly changed course in his desire for Frank to be such a force within the staff, league sources said.

Frank has always had strong opinions, but it is the head coach's job to sift through the advice and make the ultimate choices. "He was loyal," one league coaching source with knowledge of the dynamic told Yahoo Sports.

Kidd had come to differ with Frank's beliefs on how the Nets should defend, league sources said, but those had been strategies that the coaching staff had hammered out together throughout the summer and training camp.

As Kidd worked to convince Nets management to hire him directly out of his playing career with no coaching experience, part of his pitch had been his desire to hire Frank and give him significant responsibility. Kidd played for Frank from 2004-08 in New Jersey and kept a strong relationship with him through the years.

Frank's wife has been ill, and taking a job that allowed him to live in his Northern New Jersey home had been an ideal scenario. Los Angeles Clippers coach Doc Rivers offered Frank a chance to be his top assistant, eager to reunite after having Frank on his staff for a season with the Boston Celtics.

Before the start of training camp, Kidd was effusive in his praise of Frank, telling Yahoo Sports: " 'The staff and me have to feed you every day,' Lawrence tells me," Kidd said. "And then you have to digest it. You have to pick what I want to share with the guys. It’s a great partnership."

Frank is still owed money on his Detroit Pistons head coaching buyout and has a six-year agreement with Brooklyn – that includes four coaching years – that averages more than $1 million a year, sources said.

Kidd surprised many when he passed over Frank to be the interim coach during Kidd's two-game suspension to start the season. Kidd chose assistant coach Joe Prunty, who had no previous NBA head coaching experience.

Frank had been a head coach for parts of seven seasons with the Nets, owning a 225-241 record. Kidd played for Frank from 2004-2008.

Several scouts following the Nets had seen a noticeable change in Frank's on-court disposition in recent weeks, clearly seeing him far less engaged on the bench.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/jason-kidd-s-relationship-with-top-assistant-deterioriated-after-heated-staff-meeting-013231698.html

I got a good laugh from the comment on yahoo...

Good move. Kidd is a veteran coach with decades of coaching experience while Frank is a scrub rookie who has no clue what he's doing and is killing the team. Shame because the Nets is a fantastically run organization that made GREAT offseason moves by getting younger. Deron Williams is a star that never gives up either.
MadMax
Clublakers Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:59 pm

"To" Russia With Love :man10:
LTLakerFan

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion