Jason Kidd Retires; named head coach of Nets

Jason Kidd Retires; named head coach of Nets

Postby Iceberg Slim on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:10 am

www.thesportslyceum.com - personal blog

Iceberg Slim

Re: Jason Kidd Retires

Postby karacha on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:43 am

http://www.clublakers.com/nba-discussion/official-2012-2013-knicks-thread-kidd-retire-t137120-250.html

But perhaps Kidd deserves his own thread. He is one of the greats, after all. So, I will leave this open for discussion, except if other mods disagree.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:51 am

As I said in the Knicks thread, he was one for a single season, he deserves his own thread. We didn't put the Grant Hill retirement thread in a Clippers thread. Anyway, he's an all time great, one of the best PG's ever. He changed teams by being there, he was a brilliant passer in his prime, and in his final years he became a 3 point shooter that helped him get his ring. He only got the one, but he got 2 teams to the Finals in 2003 and 2004 and just got beat by better teams. I don't know where he ranks all time with other PGs, but he's gotta be on the top 10 list at least I would think.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:03 am

He's one of my all time favorite players. An awesome career. Sad to see him go.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby XXIV on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:11 pm

^ Actually in 2002 and 2003 Weezy, 2004 was that really depressing year for us Laker fans.

One thing that really amazes me about Kidd is how he went from having no jump shot throughout most of his career to being one of the best three point shooters in NBA history. Definitely one of the greats and it's sad to see him gone.
XXIV

Postby pound4pound1 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:13 pm

nothing but respect for Kidd...an ATG
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Weezy on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:22 pm

XXIV wrote:^ Actually in 2002 and 2003 Weezy, 2004 was that really depressing year for us Laker fans.

One thing that really amazes me about Kidd is how he went from having no jump shot throughout most of his career to being one of the best three point shooters in NBA history. Definitely one of the greats and it's sad to see him gone.

Oh that's right, dang how did I mix up those years, must have been tired. And yeah, it was said/known that kid couldn't shoot most of his career, but it never seemed to matter, and he eventually turned himself into a really good 3 point shooter, though strangely he still wasn't good from inside the 3 point line. Still, to be as good as he was and take teams as far as he did not really being able to shoot well at all, pretty amazing.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:43 pm

trodgers wrote:He's one of my all time favorite players. An awesome career. Sad to see him go.

+1
Would you consider him a top 5 PG ?
If Jerry West is considered a SG, then I think could make it as a top 5 player in his position.
Magic, Stockton, Isiah, Big O, Kidd?
I didn't see Maravich play though, or Cousy or Frazier or Archibald.
What do you think?
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Finwë on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:50 pm

Look at this shot:

Up 3 with 7 seconds on the shot clock and 20 for the game, and he takes THAT shot, and makes it. Lol.

This is cool too:
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:06 am

Another player that I grew up watching, I feel with every passing player retiring that I grew up watching and truly appreciating its really sad :man5: I'm happy he had such an amazing career and that I can say I was around and was able to watch Jason Kidd play :jam2:

Best of Luck to the rest of your life Jason, you will be missed in the NBA
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby bltkmt on Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:39 am

Top 10, but not top 5...in addition to the five listed above, add Payton, Frazier and maybe Nate.
bltkmt

Postby 432J on Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:00 am

Battle Tested20 wrote:Another player that I grew up watching, I feel with every passing player retiring that I grew up watching and truly appreciating its really sad :man5: I'm happy he had such an amazing career and that I can say I was around and was able to watch Jason Kidd play :jam2:

Best of Luck to the rest of your life Jason, you will be missed in the NBA

i feel the same way

with hill and kidd retiring it leaves kobe, nash, allen, KG, stackhouse and camby as the only connections to the mid 90s NBA who are still active. i won't even count juwan howard or kurt thomas since i'm certain both will retire after this season. kidd especially was one of my favourites to watch growing up so it sucks to see him go out.

pretty soon all those players who came up in the mid 90s will be retired
:man5:
432J

Postby gcclaker on Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:14 am

What I enjoyed about Kidd's game other than the ones mentioned already was his on ball defense. Fast hands and a strong body. I thought he was underrated in that department.
Nor can the Lakers get blamed for always making the right decisions over decades. At some point its not just luck or "gamble", its superior management and superior ownership.
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby GoldenChocobo on Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:39 am

Bynum for Kidd. :man9:
GoldenChocobo

Postby Juronimo on Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:55 am

gcclaker wrote:What I enjoyed about Kidd's game other than the ones mentioned already was his on ball defense. Fast hands and a strong body. I thought he was underrated in that department.

Great defender, he used to guard Kobe a lot.

I don't know where he is on the all time list but he was the best point guard in the league from the late 90's to around 2006 or so. He's had a definite hall of fame career, and his international resume isn't too shabby either. No team with Jason Kidd on it has lost an international game.
RIP Nelson Mandela
July 18, 1918 - December 5, 2013
Juronimo

Postby John3:16 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:08 pm

Bay Area kid made good. :jam2:
John3:16

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:49 pm

The guy could flat out play. All Time Great player and competitor
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby escobar8 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:02 am

he was the best pg of my generation...just amazing player,natural born leader...
i am not shocked by his retirement but still very sad...
escobar8

Postby trodgers on Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:43 am

Finwë wrote:
trodgers wrote:He's one of my all time favorite players. An awesome career. Sad to see him go.

+1
If Jerry West is considered a SG, then I think could make it as a top 5 player in his position.
What do you think?

Honestly, I don't know. If we're just talking about players in my lifetime I still think it's hard to say where. I don't know, for instance, why he isn't ahead of Isiah.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Finwë on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:06 pm

trodgers wrote:
Finwë wrote:

+1
What do you think?

Honestly, I don't know. If we're just talking about players in my lifetime I still think it's hard to say where. I don't know, for instance, why he isn't ahead of Isiah.

I wasn't really putting them in order. Those are just 5 guys (that I've seen play sufficiently, either live or a lot of vids) I thought could be top 5 in that position.
I think if the Spurs pull this out and Parker wins Finals MVP he could be considered too.
Nash was/kinda is a one of a kind player, just unique, and incredibly good, but he usually gets left off because he wasn't able to win a ring or even get to the finals. I would consider him top 10, because of his so-so D. Offensively he's definitely top 5 IMO.
Finwë

Postby John3:16 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:44 pm

I love Kidd. From my neck of the woods. But no, he was never better than Isiah. Let's not forget that Isiah was the key person on a back to back championship team. Kidd led NJ to 2 Finals, but got destroyed both times. Got a ring with Dallas, but he wasn't one of the main reasons.

Also, that Detroit team had no other superstars. Rodman is the only other Hall of Famer from that team, but back then, he was just a sub who played good D, had energy, but wasn't gobbling up rebounds like he was in his SA / Chicago days.

Postby CGrand81 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:18 pm

Top 50 GOAT, absolute competitor, a true PG, and a class act. I'll remember his days as a Sun and the first few years as a Net where he was truly a one of a kind player during those times. He faded off and then bam... he helped the Mavs win a title.
CGrand81

Postby jlkr on Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:36 am

Not sure about top 5. But I'll say this, only Magic ever made more incredible "how the heck did he see that?" passes for assists than Kidd did. And I've seen all the great PG's since the 70's. Only Magic and Stockton saw the floor better than Kidd. Maybe only Nash, Parker and Isaiah Thomas are up there with Kidd with respect to floor vision. Of the others, I'd say Deron Williams has the best floor vision, CP3, Russell Westbrook and Derrick Rose rely more on their quickness and athleticism than on floor vision.
Some try to tell me
Thoughts they cannot defend...
--Hayward
jlkr

Postby Finwë on Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:21 pm

John3:16 wrote:I love Kidd. From my neck of the woods. But no, he was never better than Isiah. Let's not forget that Isiah was the key person on a back to back championship team. Kidd led NJ to 2 Finals, but got destroyed both times. Got a ring with Dallas, but he wasn't one of the main reasons.

Also, that Detroit team had no other superstars. Rodman is the only other Hall of Famer from that team, but back then, he was just a sub who played good D, had energy, but wasn't gobbling up rebounds like he was in his SA / Chicago days.

Again, I never said he was better than Isiah. There was no order in that list.
Finwë

Postby John3:16 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:36 pm

Finwë wrote:Again, I never said he was better than Isiah. There was no order in that list.

I know. It was more of a response to Trodgers because he asked "why not".
:jam2:

Next

Return to NBA Discussion