Jax doesn't workout in the off-season...ever

Jax doesn't workout in the off-season...ever

Postby JSM on Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:03 am

Dan Devine of Yahoo Sports wrote:We already know that San Antonio Spurs swingman Stephen Jackson likes rapping, and that he intends to "do music until [he] can't talk no more." So it wasn't especially surprising to hear him answer a "What do you do in the offseason?" question asked during a Monday appearance on The Breakfast Club, the morning show on New York City hip-hop radio station 105.1 FM, by telling hosts DJ Envy, Charlamagne Tha God and Angela Yee, "I rap."

It was, however, a little surprising to hear what came next.

"I don't work out. I ain't worked out my whole career," Jackson said.

"I don't think they want to hear that — the Spurs don't want to hear that," Charlamagne responded.

"That's me," Jackson said. "That's how I've been my whole life."

"So you don't play no ball in the offseason?" Envy asked.

"No," Jackson replied.

"At all?" Envy asked.

"No," Jackson said.

"So not one jump shot?" Charlamagne followed.

"I probably shot, probably ... it's online, the only time I worked out this summer," Jackson answered.

Jackson's presumably referring to this 44-minute video published two weeks ago by sports/entertainment video channel The NOC, the folks behind that Iman Shumpert iPhone video and the documenters of Jackson's foray into youth coaching. In that video, Jackson tells former NBA player turned coach T.J. Ford, "This is my first time touching a basketball since the season's been over with." Apparently, that wasn't hyperbole.

"I been doing it so long, so when I go to training camp, I take those three weeks to get in shape," Jackson told Yee. "I really don't do too much to my body, so ..."

... so only touching a basketball once over the span of four months really isn't that big a deal. Got it. (That sound you just heard was Spurs coach Gregg Popovich grinding down another set of teeth. That's OK, though; he has five rows behind the front one, ready to rotate forward as needed for predation.)

Cap'n Jack wasn't done after his relaxation revelation, though — as he did in explaining the loss that the Spurs suffered in the Western Conference finals at the hands of the Oklahoma City Thunder, he also offered some succinct, sharp analysis of fellow NBA players' hip-hop skills. SPOILER ALERT: He is not a fan.

"A lot of NBA players that have done rap albums and mixtapes —" Yee began.

"They wack," Jackson interjected, eliciting laughter from the other hosts.

"Iman Shumpert ..." Yee continued.

"They wack. They all wack," Jackson said.

"Hold on, we ain't heard your music yet, now," Charlamagne said.

"It ain't wack," Jackson replied. "I know it."

Jackson walked his comments back a bit, noting that both Shumpert and Kevin Durant — of whom he is the world's biggest fan, we remind you — make guest appearances on Jackson's forthcoming album, "Jack of All Trades," which he said he will release under his Stak5 stage name next month. Not all the way back, though.

"They not that wack," Jackson said. "They good enough to be on my album, but they not better than me."

More brief Jack analysis of the skills of NBA rappers and how they compare to his own:

Allen Iverson: "I eat his lunch."

Shaquille O'Neal: "Not even close. ... There's no swag there. Seven-three, 350 pounds? That's no swag." Then, after Charlamagne reminds Jackson that Shaq can breakdance: "You won't get no breakdancin' out of me." (Jack does, however, think that Shaq's collaboration with The Notorious B.I.G., "You Can't Stop the Reign," was "hard.")

Tony Parker: "Wack. Terrible. Horrible. Horrible. And it was in French. Terrible."

Metta World Peace: (shakes head) "If I'm with you, I'm with you and I'mma ride with you. But as far as music, I can't vouch for his music. [...] I put my career on the line for him, going into the stands and fighting. I'll do that for any one of my brothers. But I can't vouch for his music."

If there's a stronger condemnation of a man's art than, "I'd rather fight a stadium full of people and potentially lose my livelihood than listen to this," I haven't heard it. Then again, maybe Stack just hasn't seen Ron-Ron's new 10-minute video/documentary yet. That'll probably change his mind.

I know it's difficult to believe that a 12-minute interview is worth watching in its entirety, but I strongly recommend sticking with this one for Jackson's discussion of the breakdown of his relationship with the former Ron Artest, breaking up with his fiancee 10 minutes before their wedding because she had not signed a negotiated prenuptial agreement, and much, much more.

During the interview, Jackson tells the hosts, "I consider myself 1,000," as in 10 times realer than those who keep it 100; if anything, he might be understating it. Long may you run, Cap'n Jack. Long may you run.

NOTE: This video clip contains some NSFW language when Jackson starts rapping, which begins at the 8:08 mark, so listener discretion is advised.

JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Re: Jax doesn't workout in the off-season...ever

Postby Kobe8Fan on Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:00 am

Shaq, Brian Shaw, Jason Kidd, Cedric Ceballos > Stephen Jackson in Rapping.
Kobe8Fan

Postby therealdeal on Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:47 pm

I have never and don't ever want to hear Jackson rap but the workout part?...

If I'm no the Spurs I'm PISSED to hear that crap. Look at NY, look at LA, look at OKC and Miami. Do you think they're out there rapping instead of practicing and getting better? I know some of those guys rap too, but do you think they're doing it at the EXPENSE of basketball?

Man... I'm glad he's a Spur and not a Laker. I'd be upset right now if I were them.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:24 pm

Some players have wiry frames. Their bodies don't require a lot of maintenance. Jack may be one of them. In any case, it sounds like he's done this his whole career. Considering he's played for 10+ years in the NBA, it seems to work for him.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Juronimo on Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:21 pm

lakerswiz wrote:
Metta World Peace: (shakes head) "If I'm with you, I'm with you and I'mma ride with you. But as far as music, I can't vouch for his music. [...] I put my career on the line for him, going into the stands and fighting. I'll do that for any one of my brothers. But I can't vouch for his music."

This dude is bananas. :man10:

To think that he and Ron Artest were once on the same team :scurred:

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:35 pm

lakerswiz wrote:

:man10: :man10: That comment by Metta says it all and is absolutely hilarious.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Tobias Funke on Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:14 pm

Juronimo wrote:To think that he and Ron Artest were once on the same team :scurred:

The Malice or something similar was just destined to happen.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby purp n gold on Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:18 am

Battle Tested20 wrote:
lakerswiz wrote:

:man10: :man10: That comment by Metta says it all and is absolutely hilarious.

actually... that was Jackson talking about Metta's music.
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Return to NBA Discussion