Jeff Hornacek Agrees To Become Head Coach Of Suns

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sun May 26, 2013 1:44 pm

Jeff Hornacek Offered Suns' Head Coaching Position

By Adrian Wojnarowski

One of the Phoenix Suns' popular former players – Jeff Hornacek – has been offered the franchise's head coaching job, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The Suns and Hornacek will work the weekend to finalize contract parameters on an agreement, sources said. Hornacek is eager to be the Suns' next head coach. The Suns and Hornacek have already started work on assembling an assistant coaching staff.

An assistant coach with the Utah Jazz, Hornacek met with new Suns general manager Ryan McDonough, president Lon Babby and owner Robert Sarver the past week in Phoenix.

Hornacek, 50, played the first six seasons of his 14-year NBA career with the Suns and remains a popular figure in the community. He keeps his offseason home in the Phoenix area.

For the Suns, Hornacek would fit the profile of a coach who could grow with the franchise's plan to rebuild through young players and the draft. Phoenix has six first-round picks available over the next three years, and player development will be a top priority.

The Suns met with Houston Rockets assistant J.B. Bickerstaff on Friday and have received permission to interview Los Angeles Lakers assistant coach Steve Clifford. Clifford remains a strong candidate for head-coaching openings with the Bucks and Charlotte Bobcats. The Suns former interim coach, Lindsey Hunter, also interviewed for the job.

Hornacek also interviewed for the Bobcats' coaching opening this week.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--jeff- ... 01994.html
Kobe8Fan

Re: Jeff Hornacek Agrees To Become Head Coach Of Suns

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sun May 26, 2013 1:54 pm

by Paul Coro's Suns blog

Jeff Hornacek agreed to terms with the Suns to become their new head coach and will sign the three-year contract by Monday morning.

The Suns quickly acted after impressive interviews from Hornacek, the popular former Suns player who has been an assistant coach for Utah. He was interviewed in Charlotte for its head coaching job and Philadelphia also was interested in him.

Cleveland was the first team to hire a coach this offseason when it brought back Mike Brown but the Suns were among six teams currently seeking a new coach with as many as three more expected to join that search.

Hornacek, 50, joined the Jazz as a shooting coach shortly before the 2007 playoffs and moved into a full-time assistant coach role in February of 2011 when Tyrone Corbin, his former Suns and Jazz teammate, took over the Jazz coaching job from Jerry Sloan. Hornacek was known for his work with Utah’s younger players. His coaching style brings a lot of the intelligence that he was known for as a player and an even-keeled demeanor that can turn disciplinarian when necessary.

The Suns drafted Hornacek with the 46th pick in the 1986 draft and the 14-year pro played his first six seasons in Phoenix, becoming an All-Star in his final year with a 20.1 scoring average. Hornacek was then traded to Philadelphia as part of the Charles Barkley acquisition. He stayed there a season and a half before being traded in 1994 to Utah, where he started until his retirement in 2000. The sharpshooter helped lead the Jazz to two NBA Finals appearances and later had his No. 14 retired in 2002.

Hornacek kept a reduced role in coaching initially while his three kids (now in college or graduated) were growing up in Phoenix, where he and his wife, Stacy, kept the family home. Horancek is the brother-in-law of Suns head athletic trainer Aaron Nelson. They attended Iowa State, where Hornacek was a walk-on and also has his No. 14 retired.

Hornacek will be the 16th head coach in Suns franchise history and the fifth since the 2007-08 season. Horancek was a finalist when the Suns chose Terry Porter in 2008 and a finalist with no bench experience for the Boston head coaching job in 2004 when Doc Rivers was hired.

http://www.azcentral.com/insiders/paulc ... new-coach/
Kobe8Fan

Postby CGrand81 on Sun May 26, 2013 2:04 pm

Wait what, this guy has been an assistant this whole time? Got me I had no idea, last I saw him he was playing with Stockton and Ostertag.
CGrand81

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sun May 26, 2013 2:48 pm

CGrand81 wrote:Wait what, this guy has been an assistant this whole time? Got me I had no idea, last I saw him he was playing with Stockton and Ostertag.

same.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Weezy on Sun May 26, 2013 3:12 pm

I had no idea he was an assistant coach either, he does look quite a bit different in that photo above from his playing days though. He was a really good player, not shocking to see him get a coaching gig.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Sun May 26, 2013 3:50 pm

I liked him as a player. That's all I can say about this. He was a great shooter.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Showtime.Revival.05 on Mon May 27, 2013 12:56 am

i remember a story about how his wife told him he should line up his elbow with the basket when he was shooting, and it made him a better shooter. the next rec-league season for me (i think when i was around 12 years old) i did the same thing and put up like 16 ppg, made the all star team for the only time in my short lived career :man1:
Showtime.Revival.05
Clublakers Analyst

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Mon May 27, 2013 9:10 am

Interesting hire. I like it. I think he's going to be successful. He was a very intelligent basketball player from what I remember & a great shooter. I think he'll be fine.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Frank Dux on Mon May 27, 2013 10:37 pm

I know these guys are well paid, but I can't help but feel a little bad for the guys who coach these awful teams. He'll be the scapegoat, and fired within two seasons because that roster is awful.
Frank Dux

Postby therealdeal on Tue May 28, 2013 9:13 am

Battle Tested20 wrote:
CGrand81 wrote:Wait what, this guy has been an assistant this whole time? Got me I had no idea, last I saw him he was playing with Stockton and Ostertag.

same.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:39 pm

It's refreshing to see some new blood given opportunities this summer (Suns, Hawks, Kings) and not the same select mediocre coaches recycled time after time. Hopefully Shaw is the next one up.

Hornacek was heady player, no idea he's been an assistant, but I think he'll make a decent enough coach. Problem in Phoenix next season won't be on the bench, it'll be the product on the floor.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Basketball Fan on Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:18 pm

Well he's free to start looking now I hope he stays but I don't blame him if he goes either.
Basketball Fan

Return to NBA Discussion