Jodie Meeks: signs with Pistons-3 yr / 19mil!?!? = cya

Re: Jodie Meeks Discussion: Defensive Liability

Postby OX1947 on Tue May 07, 2013 2:04 pm

All i wanted him to do was hit open shots. Everything else was irrelevant. When he missed those wide open 3's in games where leads go from 6 to 9, instead turned into 4 or 3 point games after those misses. 5 and 6 point swings in lat 2nd quarters of games do make a difference in the game.
OX1947

Postby Chillbongo on Tue May 07, 2013 2:11 pm

I agree. He doesn't bring enough else to the table for us to REALLY want him back....but at $1.5M I won't be angry. Especially since we are over the cap, it's not like we can "replace" his salary with someone else.

We should still sign someone to demote him. It would also help if our offensive philosophy did not rely on us hitting 3's to stay in games. You know.
Chillbongo

Postby Frank Dux on Tue May 07, 2013 2:22 pm

davriver290 wrote:I'm sure he'll work on some things quite a bit. He needs to recognize fast break attempts and when he can actually take it in... Hopefully he can tweak his shot and make the 3pt shot go in more consistently. He has a seriously fast release and he can do damage if that damn shot goes in!

If we take him, we seriously should just keep Glock for third string purposes and insert him when Blake/Meeks/Nash is off in some way.

I think it's either bringing back Goudelock or Meeks. Not both. They're both undersized, and poor defensive players. We really need a bigger defensive minded 2 guard behind Kobe.

IMO Meeks isn't a rotation player on a good team.
Frank Dux
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS 2m
Lakers announce they have exercised $1.55M team option on Jodie Meeks for '13-'14 season.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Awesome let's bring back this guy who can't shoot or play defense worth a damn. :jam2:

I don't want to watch another season of Meeks in a Lakers jersey. :bang: :bang:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Weezy on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:06 pm

Well, he's cheap, so I kind of expected it, I just hope we find a better backup for Kobe and he's 3rd string. I'd really like to sign Dorrell Wright.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:07 pm

Weezy wrote:Well, he's cheap, so I kind of expected it, I just hope we find a better backup for Kobe and he's 3rd string. I'd really like to sign Dorrell Wright.

This.

It's not about Meeks being on the team or not, he's a good kid. It's about having the rest of the roster filled out as well.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:09 pm

You can get a lot of guys for cheap. If they wanted to bring back an undersized shooting guard to play 3rd string, they should have brought back Glock.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Weezy on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:17 pm

Doc Brown wrote:You can get a lot of guys for cheap. If they wanted to bring back an undersized shooting guard to play 3rd string, they should have brought back Glock.

Well yeah, but I mean I don't think there are a lot of better players out there for the same price. As good, sure, but why make a lateral move? I'm not mad at this at all, he's inconsistent, but he played hard for us every game, and I guess they want some continuity with role players, rather than it being a revolving door of players every offseason. I WILL be mad at this if we don't get another, better backup SG as well though, because this guy is not good enough to get Kobe sufficient rest game in game out.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersin4 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:24 pm

I don't think Meeks coming back means we won't sign another wing.. We don't even know when Kobe will be back. Still love to see us sign Wright or C. Brewer + Morrow or Dunleavy.
lakersin4

Postby JSM on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:55 pm

As long as he's 3rd string. He's not nearly talented enough to be the second guard off the bench.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Re: Jodie Meeks Discussion: team exercises option for 13-14 (71)

Postby Tobias Funke on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:15 pm

Too unreliable to be a second string player, but if we get a real roster and he can only get scraps of minutes then Im good.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby JSM on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:41 pm

His real value right now is that he's close to Dwight. We've gotten rid of everyone else who was close to him this summer, maybe at least one holdover will help.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Helljumper on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:50 pm

Weezy wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:You can get a lot of guys for cheap. If they wanted to bring back an undersized shooting guard to play 3rd string, they should have brought back Glock.

Well yeah, but I mean I don't think there are a lot of better players out there for the same price. As good, sure, but why make a lateral move? I'm not mad at this at all, he's inconsistent, but he played hard for us every game, and I guess they want some continuity with role players, rather than it being a revolving door of players every offseason. I WILL be mad at this if we don't get another, better backup SG as well though, because this guy is not good enough to get Kobe sufficient rest game in game out.

Yeah, pretty much this. I was disappointed when I first heard that we accepted his option, but realistically, we're not certain of the quality of free agents at his price range who'd actually be willing to come here to accept a small role. Had we declined his option, we'd likely end up having to give his money to someone just as unreliable and inconsistent. Maybe we'd luck out and be able to convince a Nate Robinson type of free agent to come here (someone who signs for cheaper than they're worth in order to make a name for themselves and recoup the losses on their next deal), but it wouldn't make sense to rely on that when we haven't had the best luck in free agency.
Helljumper

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:53 pm

We have a guy in house that is better than Meeks.

Glock.

Neither play defense and Glocks offense >>>>> Meeks offense, both small undersized two guards. It's an upgrade at the same price or cheaper price.
Doc Brown

Postby Helljumper on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:56 pm

Agreed, but not sure if Dwight would see it that way. Declining his buddy Meeks's option and replacing him for cheap with a D-Leaguer who Dwight probably doesn't know that well wouldn't give off the best image.
Helljumper

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:21 am

Meeks is a good guy to keep. hes cheap young and was here last year. he can hit the 3 and always showed a ton of effort on D. his shot didnt always work out but his effort was consistent.

i think hes still an excellent 3 point shooter and with a healthy line up hell be able to get used to who hes playing with which will greatly help his 3 point shooting. knowing where youll get the ball and from who is important for a shooter like jodie who is streaky but needs to get in rhythm. nash being out and blake last year prob affected his 3 point shooting. not to mention his in and out of rotation all throughout the year.

this coming season should be good for him if we have nash and blake healthy and his role is defined. lets just pray that he hit his shots bc well need it. 40% 3pt shooters dont grow on trees and hes ours for very cheap
Ariza3

Postby karacha on Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:33 am

For that money I am not going to complain. He's not great, but he does try hard and who knows... he might be more consistent next season.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:48 am

I hope he will be a 3rd string SG this season ... Meeks starting until Kobe comes back is more likely though
wcsoldier81

Postby khmrP on Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:54 am

just cause he's "cheap" doesn't me he's valuable. Dudes a BUM, through and through....efforts dont mean squat when you get burned on D, brick shots after shot, and miss layup as if they were going out of style. I hope for our sake he's burried deep on the bench and we have a better backup 2 next year. Anyone thinking he'll be more consistent need to revisit his career with Milw/Philly.
khmrP

Postby khmrP on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:26 am

Jodie "House Builder" Meeks....he can build houses with all them bricks.
khmrP

Postby jlkr on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:48 am

Meeks may be a bum, but trying naming any FA SG who is very clearly better than Meeks who will sign for minimal money at best.

I didn't think so, only way to get somebody better is to find someone like Jamison who's willing to sign for less than he's worth. But Lakers are not championship quality as currently constructed hence such FA's will want to go elsewhere if they're chasing rings and are willing to accept less money to do that.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:02 am

jlkr wrote:Meeks may be a bum, but trying naming any FA SG who is very clearly better than Meeks who will sign for minimal money at best.

I didn't think so, .

We can revisit this when FA is over to answer your question.

I made a list last year that listed all the guy who played for the same amount as Meeks or less and were very clearly better than Meeks.
Doc Brown

Postby khmrP on Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:53 am

sign some dleaguer......wouldn't be hard to replicate Meeks performance last year, I mean its not hard bricking shots and missing layups :man10:
khmrP

Postby Weezy on Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:55 am

Doc Brown wrote:
jlkr wrote:Meeks may be a bum, but trying naming any FA SG who is very clearly better than Meeks who will sign for minimal money at best.

I didn't think so, .

We can revisit this when FA is over to answer your question.

I made a list last year that listed all the guy who played for the same amount as Meeks or less and were very clearly better than Meeks.

I usually agree with you on most things, but this time I have to disagree. It's easy to say after the fact who we could have signed, it's a totally different thing to be a GM and have to seek out quality players who will settle for the minimum. If you're going to play GM you have to at least come up with a list of players you think are better than Meeks that would take the minimum, that's Mitch's job, that's the really difficult part. You'd have to gamble on declining Meeks' option and hoping you find someone better, that's tough when you can keep the guy for minimum and still look for other options as well.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:09 am

Well then is he doing his job?

The guys that are going for the same price or less as Meeks, we usually have zero interest and never linked too. Example being Nate Robinson. He said himself he would like to play in LA, but we've never shown any interest in signing him.

We are always linked to Brandon Rush as being interested in him, why? We can't afford him. We are interested in Monta Ellis, why? It's nearly impossible to get him.

There is no denying it's revisionist history, but at the same time, you can go back and find that we didn't show interest in a lot of the guys that are going for these low prices. And that brings me back to my initial question.....

Is Mitch doing the job you described he should be doing?
Doc Brown

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion