Pistons Meet with Josh Smith as the Clock Strikes 12 (Pg. 6)

Re: Sources: Nets Covet Josh Smith (Pg. 2)

Postby kenzo on Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:14 am

Looks like the russian guy is willing to pay up.
kenzo

Postby XXIV on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:09 pm

therealdeal wrote:^ I'm still convinced this would be at an attempt to force Dwight's hand and have him come back to wanting Brooklyn. His best friend, New York City, new town new arena new feelings.

I think that's the direction of this. Force Dwight to force a trade again.

The Nets would have to give up some assets to obtain Smith, so I'm curious as to what they'd have left in order to get Dwight. I'm sure Lakers management would rather let Dwight walk than take on whatever garbage the Nets throw at us.
XXIV

Postby therealdeal on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:20 pm

XXIV wrote:
therealdeal wrote:^ I'm still convinced this would be at an attempt to force Dwight's hand and have him come back to wanting Brooklyn. His best friend, New York City, new town new arena new feelings.

The Nets would have to give up some assets to obtain Smith, so I'm curious as to what they'd have left in order to get Dwight. I'm sure Lakers management would rather let Dwight walk than take on whatever garbage the Nets throw at us.

I don't disagree. I think that the idea is just to keep making Brooklyn more and more attractive so that eventually he tries to force himself there. Where there's smoke there's fire and I think that Brooklyn very much is still interested in making that happen. Why else target Smith? Honestly it's not his play on the court... He's not a fantastic fit...

I'd assume the Lakers try to pull of a three team trade where someone else takes whatever the Nets are throwing.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:42 pm

^You're right about not a good fit; they would have spacing issues. You're probably right about making it more attractive to Dwight to force his hand there. We'll see...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:45 pm

XXIV wrote:

I was thinking the Nets do this for Dwight as well. But not via trade. They could move Lopez for Smith. And sign Dwight as a free agent. The Lakers won't sign Dwight max with our bird rights just to move him. If we sign Dwight max, we're keeping him.

But for real though, what is this the Brooklyn Hawks?
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:09 pm

They don't have enough cap space to sign Dwight, even without Lopez. They'd have to move Lopez, Wallace, and Humphries.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Shadow on Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:20 pm

The Nets are just signing players just for the heck of it. Williams, Johnson, Wallace, Josh Smith, Lopez all look good on paper but they all need the ball in their hands in order to be effective. None of those players make sense if your trying to put a championship team together.
Shadow

Postby XXIV on Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:37 pm

IMO the Nets owner isn't looking to build a contender based on what fits together. He just wants to make the Nets a solid team that can fill up the stadium and make some noise. Luckily he has the money to spend as he wishes but already that team is in salary hell after giving up awful contracts to Wallace and Humphries.
XXIV

Postby revgen on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:51 am

If the price is Humphries and Brooks, then I can see why they'd make the trade for Smith. Not sure if Atlanta bites though.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Source: Spurs Expressing Interest In Josh Smith

Postby Kobe8Fan on Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:08 pm

Source: Spurs Expressing Interest In Josh Smith

The San Antonio Spurs are among the teams that have shown interest in acquiring Josh Smith from the Atlanta Hawks, according to a source.

Hawks general manager Danny Ferry previously spent time with the Spurs.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--nba-p ... 22963.html
Kobe8Fan

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:03 am

XXIV wrote:IMO the Nets owner isn't looking to build a contender based on what fits together. He just wants to make the Nets a solid team that can fill up the stadium and make some noise. Luckily he has the money to spend as he wishes but already that team is in salary hell after giving up awful contracts to Wallace and Humphries.

Every player in the starting 5 has a horrible contract imo ...
wcsoldier81

Re: Source: Spurs Expressing Interest In Josh Smith (Pg. 3)

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:27 am

I don't see what the Spurs would want with Smith. He's the opposite of their usual MO. They like intelligent players that maybe aren't amazing, but are certainly very, very, very good. Smith is a phenomal talent with the intelligence of a door knob.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:01 pm

^ Playing with Pop, TP & TD nulls his retardo-ness?

Not sure where he would fit in and who they would move, but it sounds interesting. Isn't Kawahi Leonard already filling Josh's role though?

Or maybe this is one of those George Karl "manufactured trade rumors" that was made by a coach...
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:12 pm

I think it's just assumed to be true since an executive in San Antonio used to work in Atlanta.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:29 pm

Maybe they want more of a rebounding presence.

They could move Splitter for Smith (among other pieces) and slide TD to the 5, have Josh at the 4.

I don't know why they'd want to change it up, they're #1 in the league right now. And Josh doesn't guarantee they'll do better in the post season.
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:39 pm

If Splitter is the return for Smith I think I just pass :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:42 pm

That's what makes this rumor so perplexing.

IMO, he's the only movable piece with *some* value. And yeah, I think Splitter shines under Pop, but won't necessarily on another team.

Ginob, TP & TD aint going nowhere. I'd be shocked if they move Leonard, but I guess Josh Smith would be a good return.

This just doesn't seem to fit with SA's typical MO.... as someone already said they're all about system players, playing roles, etc.

Josh Smith doesn't make sense.
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:44 pm

It'd have to be Leonard. He's their only legitimate piece in any kind of trade to bring back value. Young guy, a lot of talent, he's got some potential.

But again, it's a BS rumor I think. The Spurs have no need for a Josh Smith in that locker room.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

76ers Not Interested In Josh Smith Deal

Postby Kobe8Fan on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:25 pm

76ers Not Interested In Josh Smith Deal

John N. Mitchell, Inquirer Staff Writer
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2013, 2:24 AM

MILWAUKEE - Websites have speculated about a possible trade that would send Evan Turner and Spencer Hawes to Atlanta for soon-to-be unrestricted free agent Josh Smith, but such a deal would not interest the 76ers, according to two league sources with knowledge of the situation.

"Why would the Sixers be interested in making a deal for a player who can walk at the end of the season and leave them holding nothing but the bag?" one source said. "I don't see where that makes sense for them."

Although the Sixers would acquire Smith's Larry Bird rights - meaning they could sign him to a more lucrative deal than any other team - they would have no guarantee that Smith would re-sign with them.

The 6-foot-9 small forward is in his ninth season with the Hawks and in the final year of a five-year, $58 million contract. The word coming out of Atlanta is that Smith almost certainly will not re-sign with the Hawks.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/six ... s_say.html
Kobe8Fan

GM's Convinced Hawks Have Ruled Out Keeping Josh Smith Long-

Postby Kobe8Fan on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:28 pm

GM's Convinced Hawks Have Ruled Out Keeping Josh Smith Long-Term

Danny Ferry and the Atlanta Hawks have ruled out signing Josh Smith to a new deal in the offseason, according to three rival general managers.

The GMs are convinced that Ferry will be aggressive in moving Smith before the deadline.

The best offer the Hawks are believed to have received for Smith has been Kris Humphries and MarShon Brooks from the Brooklyn Nets. But that offer is unlikely to make the Hawks budge.

"Danny's a Spur,'' one rival executive said, referring to Ferry's past work in San Antonio's front office. "So he won't give him away, but if someone comes with a good offer, Josh Smith is gone. I don't think Danny takes the Nets' deal. I think someone has to do better than that.''

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/ ... -jefferson
Kobe8Fan

Report: Bucks Interested In Trading For Josh Smith

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:16 pm

Report: Bucks Interested In Trading For Josh Smith

The Milwaukee Bucks are interested in trading for Josh Smith, according to a report.

The Bucks could offer a package of Brandon Jennings and Ersan Ilyasova for Smith.

Atlanta is widely expected to trade Smith before the Feb. 21 trade deadline.

Smith is averaging 17.3 points, 8.6 rebounds and 2.1 blocks in 35.7 minutes per game.

http://journaltimes.com/sports/basketba ... 963f4.html
Kobe8Fan

Re: Report: Bucks Interested In Trading For Josh Smith (Pg. 3)

Postby FabFourLakers on Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:22 pm

why the HECK would the Hawks take Brandon Jennings when they already have Jeff Teague and Devin Harris and Lou Williams (who is out with an injury but he'll be back next year)? I would hope that the Hawks give Jeff Teague in this deal...cuz the Bucks will be left with nobody at PG or i guess they'll move Monta Ellis to PG?

And ATL would be STUPID to take Ilyasova...he's on a terrible deal and he's overrated....god GM's are SO DUMB nowadays...
FabFourLakers

Postby juninho on Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:55 pm

FabFourLakers wrote:why the HECK would the Hawks take Brandon Jennings when they already have Jeff Teague and Devin Harris and Lou Williams (who is out with an injury but he'll be back next year)? I would hope that the Hawks give Jeff Teague in this deal...cuz the Bucks will be left with nobody at PG or i guess they'll move Monta Ellis to PG?

And ATL would be STUPID to take Ilyasova...he's on a terrible deal and he's overrated....god GM's are SO DUMB nowadays...

Ersan is ont overrated or have a terrible deal tbh. After Bucks fired Skilles he played better and made hs contract fair. This is his stats after Skilles fired;

Ersan Ilyasova 14.6 PT .487 of 11.3 FG .765 of 2.6 FT .492 of 3.3 3P 7.0/1.9 RB 1.9 AS 0.7 BL 1.4 ST 1.3 TO 2.9 PF 28.9 MN 20/19 GS (last 20 games)

Pretty good numbers and he plays decent defense.

Ersan Ilyasova - Bucks $7.9M 2013 | $7.9M 2014 | $7.9M 2015 | $7.9M 2016 | $8.4M 2017 (T)

He is 25 years old so he can still get better while taking same amount of money. Also his last year is team option.

I would really want him at Lakers, him and Clark will fit so well with d12.
juninho

Hawks Talking Josh Smith Trade With Several Teams

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:02 pm

Hawks Talking Josh Smith Trade With Several Teams

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

Still many involved for Atlanta's Josh Smith, including Bucks, Nets, Celtics, 76ers, Wizards, others, sources say. Strong belief he's moved.

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/ ... 9105918977
Kobe8Fan

Postby FabFourLakers on Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:30 pm

juninho wrote:
FabFourLakers wrote:why the HECK would the Hawks take Brandon Jennings when they already have Jeff Teague and Devin Harris and Lou Williams (who is out with an injury but he'll be back next year)? I would hope that the Hawks give Jeff Teague in this deal...cuz the Bucks will be left with nobody at PG or i guess they'll move Monta Ellis to PG?

Ersan is ont overrated or have a terrible deal tbh. After Bucks fired Skilles he played better and made hs contract fair. This is his stats after Skilles fired;

Ersan Ilyasova 14.6 PT .487 of 11.3 FG .765 of 2.6 FT .492 of 3.3 3P 7.0/1.9 RB 1.9 AS 0.7 BL 1.4 ST 1.3 TO 2.9 PF 28.9 MN 20/19 GS (last 20 games)

Pretty good numbers and he plays decent defense.

Ersan Ilyasova - Bucks $7.9M 2013 | $7.9M 2014 | $7.9M 2015 | $7.9M 2016 | $8.4M 2017 (T)

He is 25 years old so he can still get better while taking same amount of money. Also his last year is team option.

I would really want him at Lakers, him and Clark will fit so well with d12.

Hmm...i guess looking at it that way, it's not so bad...but I dunno, he's kind of inconsistent and yes he's played better since skiles was fired....but i think i am just bitter cuz i drafted him 5th round in all 3 fantasy leagues, and he severely underperformed and i had to drop him and then of course he starts playing better midway through the year and he gets snatched up right away by other ppl in my league...argh. :bang:
FabFourLakers

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion