Pistons Meet with Josh Smith as the Clock Strikes 12 (Pg. 6)

Re: Josh Smith Was Nearly Traded to Philly (Pg. 4)

Postby therealdeal on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:49 am

:man4:

Hasn't Turner had his best season thus far? I mean that's not a fantastic return for Smith, but it's pretty nice. I'm not super high on the kid, but I think Turner has finally turnered a corner (yes I went there).
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:31 pm

Smith works well with a mobile center that can run the floor with him like Horford. He might have trouble meshing with Bynum on half court sets. To begin with, Smith is not exactly Phi Betta Kappa on that end too.
Nor can the Lakers get blamed for always making the right decisions over decades. At some point its not just luck or "gamble", its superior management and superior ownership.
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:41 pm

Looks like the Celtics came close to nabbing him, too in this 3 team swap...

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo wrote:Before the trade deadline passed, the Boston Celtics had one final choice to make on the franchise's future: In a three-way deal that would've secured Josh Smith and surrendered Paul Pierce to Dallas, Atlanta wanted Boston's first-round draft pick, too.

As much as any of the proposed deals discussed in February, perhaps this had been the closest Pierce had come to parting with the Celtics, sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Dallas had constructed a package that included Jae Crowder, Brandan Wright and Dahntay Jones to Atlanta, with the Mavericks and Hawks exchanging positions in the 2013 NBA draft.

Nevertheless, Boston wouldn't relent on the pick and the deal died on meeting-room grease boards in three cities. Celtics coach Doc Rivers has always understood that general manager Danny Ainge's reshaping of the roster is inevitable, but he's never been in a hurry to lord over a rebuild.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Re: Josh Smith Was Nearly Traded to Philly/BOS (Pg. 4/5)

Postby last stand on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:39 pm

good to know dallas almost got paul pierce for absolutely nothing at all.
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Josh Smith: Atlanta Is The Worst Sports Town

Postby Kobe8Fan on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:25 pm

Josh Smith: Atlanta Is The Worst Sports Town

The Atlanta Hawks didn’t trade star forward Josh Smith despite the swirling, and endless rumors. But with his impending free agency this summer, there are serious doubts about Smith’s future with the Hawks. Due to a lack of strong fan support, Josh admits that playing in Atlanta isn’t the easiest thing. Per the NY Daily News: “It is a little difficult (playing in Atlanta),’ said Smith, an Atlanta native. ‘Last year like I was telling everybody, we were ranked No. 1 worst sports town in the United States. It was just the whole city, baseball, football – but football always has a crazy fanbase – it is a little bit difficult. But hopefully we can turn it around sooner than later.’ Smith isn’t making this up. Atlanta has the worst fan support in the country, according to Forbes, having supplanted Seattle in last year’s dubious rankings. It seemed fitting that about an hour after our conversation with Smith he played in a half-empty Philips Arena, where the Hawks’ effort matched the atmosphere in a lifeless 93-80 loss to the Nets. Smith wasn’t saying success or popularity was impossible in Atlanta. It’s just ‘a little bit difficult’ when the team isn’t getting support, despite five straight playoff appearances. The Nets of New Jersey could relate. Smith used Oklahoma City as an example of a team ‘bringing global attractions to a small city. …But you have to have those big names like the Kevin Durant’s and Russell Westbrook’s.’”

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/20 ... n-atlanta/
Kobe8Fan

Re: Josh Smith: Atlanta Is The Worst Sports Town (Pg. 5)

Postby revgen on Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:22 am

But you have to have those big names like the Kevin Durant’s and Russell Westbrook’s.

...or the CP3's or the D12's..

I wonder if Josh isn't dropping some hints...for certain people.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby therealdeal on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:32 am

Of course he is hinting that they need big names to go there, but I don't think that changes anything for Dwight at this point. He's hitting his high right now at the perfect time for us to come in and say: "see isn't winning in LA fun? Also here's an extra 30 million. Also here's that deal from Adidas. Also here's a script for a movie, a commercial, and 3 tv shows."

As for the title of this thread... kind of misleading isn't it? He didn't say he though the town was the worst, just that it ranked the worst and he wasn't wrong.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:54 am

I agree that D12 is likely staying here in LA. However, I think Josh was hinting at what Hawks management is aiming for in the offseason.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby therealdeal on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:55 am

revgen wrote:I agree that D12 is likely staying here in LA. However, I think Josh was hinting at what Hawks management is aiming for in the offseason.

Well if they pull Paul away from the Clippers I'd be ecstatic. It'd be fantastic to watch that team collapse again.

But they ain't getting to Howard, so I'm not too worried about it.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby nameant on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:01 am

Or if they woulda just drafted CP3 when they had the chance. :man10:
nameant

Postby revgen on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:27 am

^Deron Williams too.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby therealdeal on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:55 am

But guys... Marvin Williams though.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby 432J on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:40 pm

they just need to get rid of this guy ASAP

year after year he's on the trade block but he never gets dealt
432J

Postby jimbo327 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:13 pm

Atlanta would be a ghost town if Smith is gone. There would be zero entertainment value left.
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby D.B. Cooper on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:53 pm

therealdeal wrote:But guys... Marvin Williams though.

Ya that guy doesn't post here anymore, I forgot his name but he had Al Sharpton as an avi.
D.B. Cooper

Postby JSM on Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:49 am

jimbo327 wrote:Atlanta would be a ghost town if Smith is gone. There would be zero entertainment value left.

I wouldn't necessarily say that. By not overpaying Josh and letting him walk, Hawks can get two big FAs. Ferry is proving to be a much wiser GM than Atlanta has had in a long long while.

Hawks fans have a love-hate relationship with Josh. They love the D and the dunks, but the chucking and seemingly the thousands of missed 3 irritates the hell out of everyone here. It'd be like if MWP was our #1 option and we had to deal with that on a larger scale every night.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:15 pm

JSM wrote:
jimbo327 wrote:Atlanta would be a ghost town if Smith is gone. There would be zero entertainment value left.

I wouldn't necessarily say that. By not overpaying Josh and letting him walk, Hawks can get two big FAs. Ferry is proving to be a much wiser GM than Atlanta has had in a long long while.

Hawks fans have a love-hate relationship with Josh. They love the D and the dunks, but the chucking and seemingly the thousands of missed 3 irritates the hell out of everyone here. It'd be like if MWP was our #1 option and we had to deal with that on a larger scale every night.

MWP......Number 1 Option :scurred:
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Source: Smith 'Highly Unlikely' To Return To Hawks In 13-14

Postby Kobe8Fan on Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:20 pm

Source: Josh Smith 'Highly Unlikely' To Return To Hawks In 13-14

Jeff Zillgitt, USA TODAY Sports

Josh Smith is staying home — in Atlanta with the Hawks. For the time being.

The Atlanta native and subject of intense trade discussions was not dealt Thursday, and he will play the rest of the season for the Hawks, who are 29-23 and in sixth place in the Eastern Conference.

On Thursday, Smith said Atlanta will be on his list of teams he considers when he becomes a free agent. However, all politics is local. The Atlanta native does not want to irritate the home fans, but a person familiar with Smith's plans told USA TODAY Sports that it is "highly unlikely" that Smith re-signs with Atlanta. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the private nature of the negotiations.

Smith, 27, had been the top player projected to be traded with an expiring contract that will pay him $13.2 million this season.

But after considering trade proposals from several teams, including a down-to-the-wire offer from the Milwaukee Bucks, Hawks general manager Danny Ferry decided to keep Smith.

Ferry, unsure if the Hawks wanted to re-sign Smith or if Smith wanted to re-sign in the offseason, searched for a deal, trying to get some value in exchange for Smith. Ultimately, Ferry didn't like the offers he received.

"We value Josh," Ferry told NBA TV. "He's been important to our program here the last several years, and I've enjoyed working with him this year. He's an important part of this team, and we look forward to finishing the year well with him."

Smith averages 17.2 points and 8.6 rebounds for the Hawks. In his nine seasons, all in Atlanta, he has averaged 15.2 points and eight rebounds.

Ferry has been remaking the team's roster since taking over in June. The team is nearly $40 million under the salary cap headed into the offseason and has seven contracts that expire after 2012-13. Atlanta also has team options on two other players.

That is significant money to spend on next season's payroll. Los Angeles Lakers center Dwight Howard and Los Angeles Clippers point guard Chris Paul are the expected centerpieces of the 2013 free-agent class, but luring either player to Atlanta will be difficult. Ferry will try, especially in regards to Howard, who like Smith, is from Atlanta. Expect Ferry to go after Howard aggressively.

The Brooklyn Nets, Phoenix Suns, Boston Celtics, Washington Wizards and Bucks were among teams that had at least cursory discussions with Atlanta.

Atlanta's decision to keep Smith thrills a team like the Houston Rockets or Denver Nuggets, who could sign him as a free agent. Smith can earn a max contract starting with next season, but on Thursday, Smith said he has never asked for a max contract.

But he does want to get paid. If Smith lands with another team next season, the max contract he can receive is for four years, $72.39 million, starting at $16.95 million in 2013-14.

Since Atlanta holds Smith's Bird rights, it can offer him a five-year, $97.49 million deal. While that's a lot of money to leave on the table, both sides might be ready for a fresh start without the other. There's no bad blood. Just time to move on. There are good breakups.

Smith will be just 31 years old when he is due for a new contract in 2017-18. After this summer's lucrative deal, he will have the opportunity for another big payday in his early 30s.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nb ... d/1935331/
Kobe8Fan

Hawks Offered Josh Smith Three-Year, $45M Extension

Postby Kobe8Fan on Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:23 pm

Hawks Offered Josh Smith Three-Year, $45M Extension

The Atlanta Hawks offered Josh Smith a three-year, $45 million contract extension before the season.

According to sources, the talks never got serious because Smith made it clear that he wanted to make it to free agency.

League rules on extensions kept the Hawks from offering anything longer than three extra years during the season.

The Hawks then tried hard to trade Smith prior to February's deadline.

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page ... rds-ballot
Kobe8Fan

Re: Hawks Offered Josh Smith Three-Year, $45M Extension (Pg. 5)

Postby therealdeal on Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:25 am

Interesting.

I just don't see Smith making that kind of bank in other cities. Where else is he going to get paid like that AND be part of a good team? There's not many teams this summer with money to spare.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:28 pm

therealdeal wrote:Interesting.

I just don't see Smith making that kind of bank in other cities. Where else is he going to get paid like that AND be part of a good team? There's not many teams this summer with money to spare.

you sure about that? i think lots of teams have cash this summer. my quick count says at least 16 teams should have something more than 10 million to spend. granted, several of these teams probably need to retain their own guys, but still...there's money to be had. with smith being one of the top free agents available, you'd think he'd have a good shot at getting paid big.
abeer3

Postby The Rock on Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:30 pm

Houston can use a PF. If Dwight re-signs they might go after Smith

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby therealdeal on Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:32 pm

abeer3 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Interesting.

you sure about that? i think lots of teams have cash this summer. my quick count says at least 16 teams should have something more than 10 million to spend. granted, several of these teams probably need to retain their own guys, but still...there's money to be had. with smith being one of the top free agents available, you'd think he'd have a good shot at getting paid big.

I meant teams willing to give him 3/45 million type of money. How many of the 16 teams want Smith at that price? If you can name 5 teams that want him and that would be a good/better fit than Atlanta I'll be surprised.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:38 pm

The Rock wrote:Houston can use a PF. If Dwight re-signs they might go after Smith

Dude if Houston got Smith I would s*** myself. Do they have the cap space?

Harden + Smith + Parsons + Asik + Lin?

Do those players scarily complement each other or is it just me?
Chillbongo

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:02 pm

Chillbongo wrote:
The Rock wrote:Houston can use a PF. If Dwight re-signs they might go after Smith

Dude if Houston got Smith I would s*** myself. Do they have the cap space?

Harden + Smith + Parsons + Asik + Lin?

Do those players scarily complement each other or is it just me?

Lin = Overrated
Harden = Choker
Parsons = Legit
Smith = Chucker
Asik = Defender

You are correct they do fit.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion