JVG: Bulls Will Be Fortunate To Make Playoffs Next Season

JVG: Bulls Will Be Fortunate To Make Playoffs Next Season

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:05 pm

Jeff Van Gundy expects the Bulls to take a major step back next season.

"To lose (Derrick) Rose by itself is going to cost you -- even if you thought they were a 55-win team with Rose -- that costs you 12-15 games right there," Van Gundy said. "And then all the other guys I think people are overlooking. C.J. Watson even with his poor play to (Omer) Asik in that sixth game, listen, he was a very valuable back-up through all of Rose's injuries last year. He played well, and now, who's their backup, they have (Kirk) Hinrich and who? (Marquis Teague) No, no, he's not ... did you watch him in summer league? "Struggled" is being kind. That's not a knock. The 29th pick in the draft is such a hit-and-miss selection anyway. You have to give him time to grow and mature. But to think he's going to come in and play behind Hinrich next year ..."

Hinrich is expected to receive the bulk of the minutes at point guard.

"Their point guard situation last year was the MVP and a very good backup,” Van Gundy said. “This year it's a combo guard in Hinrich and we'll see who they can get as a backup. At the two-guard, (Rip) Hamilton is always hurt, and frankly in that Philly series, he's older, he's on the downside, and we'll see if he can bounce back ... Deng, you don't know where he's going to be injury-wise, and the frontcourt has been diminished. So to think that's a 50-win team ... listen, if they win half their games next year and make the playoffs, it's a heck of a year."

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicagobulls/po ... to-50-wins
Kobe8Fan

Re: JVG: Bulls Will Be Fortunate To Make Playoffs Next Season

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:13 pm

They should tank.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby dj vitus on Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:27 pm

Tank for Shabazz.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby JSM on Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:21 pm

I agree with JVG on this one. I was actually just talking about this in the Nate thread.

And on top of all of the problems I have with their off-season losses and new acquisitions, once again, it will all hinge on Rose. I think everyone is being a little overly optimistic with his timetable for his return. I hope they're not, he's my favorite non-Laker, but once he's able to play, it's still going to be awhile before he's ready to play. And do they really want to rush his return again? isn't that how they got in this situation in the first place? He needs to shut it down for the entire season and post-season...if they can sneak in there.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby JSM on Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:23 pm

KeepBynum wrote:They should tank.

Thibs won't allow a team he coaches to tank.
JSM

Postby FabFourLakers on Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:14 pm

They shoudl tank to get Shabazz but like JSM said, Thibs won't tank. He will not coach a team that is trying to tank. He'll get them in as a 6 or 7 seed somehow...they played well without Rose last year, I'm sure it won't be AS big of a drop-off as many people think.
FabFourLakers

Postby Finwë on Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:35 pm

If they are able to put together a decent record by the time Rose comes back, then they should definitely go for it. Granted, Rose may not be the same, but they still have a great team and a great coach, they sure could do some damage in the playoffs in the East.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby FabFourLakers on Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:59 pm

Finwë wrote:If they are able to put together a decent record by the time Rose comes back, then they should definitely go for it. Granted, Rose may not be the same, but they still have a great team and a great coach, they sure could do some damage in the playoffs in the East.

I wouldn't mind seeing Heat vs BUlls in the 1st round and have the Bulls oust them again like they did in 2007 a year after the Heat won the title. lol
FabFourLakers

Postby abeer3 on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:18 am

i think for the sake of the franchise, you might want to sit rose the entire season. even if he's back by march, it's usually a year and a half before players really look like themselves after an acl tear. but as others said, the bulls don't seem like a team that will tank. never know, though, noah goes down with another injury, maybe they won't have a choice about tanking.
abeer3

Postby Finwë on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:34 am

FabFourLakers wrote:
Finwë wrote:If they are able to put together a decent record by the time Rose comes back, then they should definitely go for it. Granted, Rose may not be the same, but they still have a great team and a great coach, they sure could do some damage in the playoffs in the East.

I wouldn't mind seeing Heat vs BUlls in the 1st round and have the Bulls oust them again like they did in 2007 a year after the Heat won the title. lol

"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby kray28 on Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:34 pm

They are still a very good defensive team, and they play in the East, where Orlando just dropped out of the contender list. I think they are making the playoffs.
kray28

Postby JSM on Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:31 pm

kray28 wrote: where Orlando just dropped out of the contender list. I think they are making the playoffs.

Nets will be in this year. Washington could be, too.
JSM

Postby jimbo327 on Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:00 am

You really have to try to not make the playoffs in the East. With that said, Bulls are garbage without Rose.
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby 432J on Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:50 am

i can see them getting in at the 7 spot at best
432J

Postby FabFourLakers on Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:56 pm

JSM wrote:
kray28 wrote: where Orlando just dropped out of the contender list. I think they are making the playoffs.

Nets will be in this year. Washington could be, too.

It will come down to Washington vs Chicago for that 8th seed....with Milwaukee maybe making a push as well...maybe even Toronto. I think that if Chicago gets off to a really bad start, they could tank (im talking like 0-13). They usually start the season with a bunch of road games.
FabFourLakers

Return to NBA Discussion