Kenyon Martin: why u no want me?

Re: Kenyon Martin To Lakers?

Postby last stand on Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:27 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
gcclaker wrote:All this talk about Martin being a bad influence... There are only a few dustups involving him that I am aware of. Calling out Van Horn after losing in the 2002 Finals, that feud with Cuban and then firing pointed comments at Karl for criticizing former teammate Anthony. I don't know of any problems with the law or involving drugs or assaults.

On the court, this team could use another presence in the paint to mix it up for six to ten minutes. Martin fits that. He will also protect the core from any wannabees that want cause a mess. I agree his offense isn't what we'd like but putbacks from him happen plus he can hit that open short range J since his defender will help elsewhere.

If not, Amundson could be a good pickup. Constant motor...does the dirty work...used to play with Nash too.

P
This. What's the difference between Martin and Barnes? Martin and MWP?

Martin has done considerably less then both of those guys.

On top of that, his kids are in LA, so that might be the selling point that gets him here.

I never embraced Barnes and wouldnt embrace Martin. We are the lakers not the nuggets or clippers. Like the Yankees we have a standard that at least I have for the people that play for us. To me Martin is a classless individual that doesn't belong here. If he is here ill support his play and hope he plays well but I'll never embrace him
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby John3:16 on Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:28 pm

karacha wrote:Martin is really not a bad influence. He maybe has big mouth and is not especially eloquent, but hey... not everyone can be Tim Duncan, you know. He is a good player and could contribute for the Lakers. And yes, his tattoos are ugly.

Agree. He can contribute. Hungry for a ring too.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby ChumsGum on Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:47 pm

I believe he covered his lips tattoo with initials or something. does this info make you like martin more now? he gives hard fouls and we can use him against the duo of perkins/ibaka. let's not forget how good Jason kidd made martin look, Nash could do the same. no martin won't be alley ooping like he use to but he's still savvy in the paint.
ChumsGum

Postby DJ-RaZ-Q#24 on Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:55 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
gcclaker wrote:All this talk about Martin being a bad influence... There are only a few dustups involving him that I am aware of. Calling out Van Horn after losing in the 2002 Finals, that feud with Cuban and then firing pointed comments at Karl for criticizing former teammate Anthony. I don't know of any problems with the law or involving drugs or assaults.

On the court, this team could use another presence in the paint to mix it up for six to ten minutes. Martin fits that. He will also protect the core from any wannabees that want cause a mess. I agree his offense isn't what we'd like but putbacks from him happen plus he can hit that open short range J since his defender will help elsewhere.

If not, Amundson could be a good pickup. Constant motor...does the dirty work...used to play with Nash too.

This. What's the difference between Martin and Barnes? Martin and MWP?

Martin has done considerably less then both of those guys.

On top of that, his kids are in LA, so that might be the selling point that gets him here.

We already saw how important kids are these days in recruiting :man1:
DJ-RaZ-Q#24

Postby kray28 on Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:12 pm

TIME wrote:I really do not want KMart anywhere close to this team.

Amundson would be a nice luxury since he can play either 3 or 4. But I think it would be better to keep the slot open until we need to fill it. Play Pau 36 minutes, Jamison 28, and Hill 32 to start until D12 is back.

Agreed. Amundson would be a nice pickup for the hustle and hardwork factor.
kray28

Postby gcclaker on Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:18 pm

live and die in LA wrote:I like Kenyon Martin but when the Lakers already have Jamison/Hill what is the point? I don't want Antawn playing small forward at this point, he would get eaten up on defense. Kenyon can actually guard a lot of small forwards effectively, but I wouldn't make that a year long responsibility for him.

Martin can cover the 3 and 4. Very good at switching on the perimeter to hedge out at 2s. Hill is good at help defense and remains a question mark at the on-ball side. Jamison? You already covered that. It WILL be a year long responsibility BUT it will be in spot minutes. I am willing to trust a player of his caliber for crucial stops. A team can never have enough big, physical players that can be counted on at any time. Martin could save some minutes for Gasol who from the last two seasons seem to wilt. He's no Boy Scout but he isn't the complete thug he is perceived to be either.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby lotus on Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:03 pm

Team chemistry is as important as the talent. Martin can kill chemistry easily. And by the way, you can only have so many alpha dogs on one team. I think Kobe and Metta are enough for one team.
lotus

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:17 pm

Don't like Martin. Bad attitude. Lost a lot of lift. and his elbow jumper is not what it used to be.

For very limited minutes most games (despite a few games where Jamison or Gasol nurse injuries or need a break), I would rather have Blatche (plays his cards right, he could be THE front court with Howard in 2 years) or even Yi -- versatility to space the floor, run, and rebound. Granted, neither is physical like Martin, but they fit the team better -- especially for limited minutes and fitting well with Hill, Gasol, Ron, Kobe, Nash, and Meeks.
tigerjeterkobe

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:22 pm

tigerjeterkobe wrote:Don't like Martin. Bad attitude.

I don't want a guy with a bad attitude.....

I would rather have Blatche

So give me the guy with the bad attitude.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby gcclaker on Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:24 pm

Doc Brown wrote:

...coworkers wondering why I am laughing my ___ off just now. :bow:
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:56 pm

Ok -- Doc, way to take it out of context. It was bad attitude plus the other things. Not just one thing. smart arss. And one is more of a thug attitude, the other is just immature. One has talent, the other doesn't.

But I guess you are too dense and focused on trying to show your superiority than anything else.... :man12:
tigerjeterkobe

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:08 pm

tigerjeterkobe wrote:Ok -- Doc, way to take it out of context. It was bad attitude plus the other things. Not just one thing. smart arss. And one is more of a thug attitude, the other is just immature. One has talent, the other doesn't.

But I guess you are too dense and focused on trying to show your superiority than anything else.... :man12:

Pwned.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby TIME on Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:23 pm

tigerjeterkobe wrote:Ok -- Doc, way to take it out of context. It was bad attitude plus the other things. Not just one thing. smart arss. And one is more of a thug attitude, the other is just immature. One has talent, the other doesn't.

Please do not resort to personal insult. If you think he missed or twisted the point in your post point it out, but insulting his intelligence is out of line.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:40 pm

So which has talent?
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby purp n gold on Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:10 pm

I'd rather have Earl Clark
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby ThizGuy83 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:44 am

Doc Brown wrote:

this gave me a good laugh...
Dwight "tweedle Dee tweedle dum" Howard
ThizGuy83

Postby Congo Cash on Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:43 am

Pass... McRoberts is a better fit but they got rid of him because there is no minutes, and the last thing we need is another guy who will miss 20-30+ games...
- insert signature here -
Congo Cash

Postby JSM on Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:42 am

Congo Cash wrote:Pass... McRoberts is a better fit but they got rid of him because there is no minutes, and the last thing we need is another guy who will miss 20-30+ games...

Doesn't matter if McBob was a good fit or a horrible fit, he wasn't going to get minutes from Brown regardless of whether there were minutes available or not. And as a GM, when you have a player on the hook for $3m and he's not going to play, you've got to move him.

K-Mart wouldn't even cost the team half that. That's a lot cheaper of an insurance policy. Not to mention Brown would actually play K-Mart because of his defensive capabilities at multiple positions.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby LAKEROC on Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:58 am

Kenyon Martin and Leandro Barbosa for vet.minimum deals! Get those deals done!

And, Mitch, if there is anything left in that wand, and you can pull off another 'home run", how about

Chris Duhon+ Andrew Goudelock+ Robert Sacre+ pick+cash for Klay Thompson and Harrison Barnes!!!

I'd love to see Mycheal Thompson's reaction, if we did that one. :man10:
LAKEROC

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:00 am

LAKEROC wrote:Kenyon Martin and Leandro Barbosa for vet.minimum deals! Get those deals done!

Fixed.
Doc Brown

Postby khmrP on Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:11 am

LAKEROC wrote:Chris Duhon+ Andrew Goudelock+ Robert Sacre+ pick+cash for Klay Thompson and Harrison Barnes!!!

I'd love to see Mycheal Thompson's reaction, if we did that one. :man10:

why stop at that, Blake/Ebanks for Durant :jam2:
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:59 am

The bottom line here is that he said he wouldn't sign for the minimum. I'm guessing Mitch told him hey look we'd love to have you if you want to come down but we aren't going to give you the extra money we've got.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby rockorego on Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:08 am

therealdeal wrote:The bottom line here is that he said he wouldn't sign for the minimum. I'm guessing Mitch told him hey look we'd love to have you if you want to come down but we aren't going to give you the extra money we've got.

i say pay the man the money, if it's means sticking him on durant or lebron and slowing them down, i think
that's a good investment.
rockorego

Postby therealdeal on Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:13 am

rockorego wrote:
therealdeal wrote:The bottom line here is that he said he wouldn't sign for the minimum. I'm guessing Mitch told him hey look we'd love to have you if you want to come down but we aren't going to give you the extra money we've got.

i say pay the man the money, if it's means sticking him on durant or lebron and slowing them down, i think
that's a good investment.

I've supported Martin coming to LA just for his defensive ability.

But that extra little bit of cash can really come in handy if the Lakers need to fill a hole later in the season. Right now Martin is a luxury. As much depth as he could provide, he needs us more if he wants to win.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Kobe Bryant 8 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:18 am

LAKEROC wrote:Chris Duhon+ Andrew Goudelock+ Robert Sacre+ pick+cash for Klay Thompson and Harrison Barnes!!!

Just stop. Please.

"Who's got it better than us? NOOOOOO BODY!" - Jim Harbaugh

Hip-Hop Fans: DJ KB8 Presents - Felt 3: The Remixes (Coming Soon)
Kobe Bryant 8
CL's Voice of Reason

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion