Texas Lakers Fan wrote:
bruddahmanmatt wrote:
nthydro wrote:Can you imagine running this lineup defensively:

PG = (Meeks?)
SG = Kobe
SF = Metta
PF = Martin
C = Howard

Offensively it wouldn't be too great but defensively that's pretty damn scary.

No offense but these days, the only thing scary about Kobe defensively is how horribad he is at that end of the floor.

Did you watch the Olympics at all? Kobe was a monster on that end. Now he doesn't go all out like World Peace every game because he simply can't do it anymore without getting gassed and having nothing left for the offensive end. To say he's horribad is just ridiculous. Kobe is still an above average defender.

Bruh, he averaged 17.5 minutes per game in London where hand checking is allowed...while playing alongside guys with ridonkulous athleticism out on the perimeter...oh yeah, and to top it all off, the man had Tyson Chandler behind him protecting the rim.

Kobe is capable of having a solid defensive performance or two here and there, but these days he's almost always pretty much awful at that end of the floor. The fact that he was named to the All-D team last year while Iguodala wasn't shows how blind the folks who voted are. FWIW, it's not Bryant's fault, the man is simply 33 going on 34.

So it's Kobe's fault he playing with great defenders on Team USA? C'mon now. Bottomline is Kobe played GREAT defense for his team which was a huge reason they won the Gold Medal again.

Last year in the NBA for the Lakers Kobe had so much responsibility offensively. He had to be the faciltator, was the only perimeter player that could create his own shot, and was the only true/legit closer on the team. Keep in mind this is a guy who's 33 years old and has played in the NBA since he was 17 years old. That's a ton of resoonsibility so to expect him to be able to conistently play lockdown defense is just unrealistic. He may of not deserved to be an All NBA defender, but he wasn't the only one. He's not a great defender on a consistent basis, but he's showm he can be when he puts his mind to it. Overall he's a decent defender. Far from awful. Awful would be Derek Fisher, Ramon Sessions, or Steve Blake.
Texas Lakers Fan

Re: Kenyon Martin To Lakers?

Postby LAKEROC on Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:37 am

About as close to my "dream season" as I wanted.

I wanted Steve Nash....we got him

I wanted Dwight Howard....and ONLY for Andrew Bynum...we got that deal done

I wanted Devin Ebanks and Jordan Hill resigned......Mitch got those deals done

I wanted Ramon Sessions to take his 1 year PO at 4.5 and be Nash's backup....We DID NOT get this done :man6:

I wanted Antwan Jamison for the vet. minimum....We got that deal done

I want Mitch to get Leandro Barbosa for vet . minimum deal.....This is a possibility

I wanted Mitch to trade Chris Duhon+ Andrew Goudelock for Harrison Barnes....No I haven't been puffing the magic dragon lately.

I wanted the Lakers to offer Etan Thomas a 1 year vet. minimum deal.... Thomas as a 3rd string power forward, who could also play center would be great for the Lakers, in addition to his high character on and off the court. If only Kenyon Martin knew how to carry himself with as much class and integrity as Thomas does, I think he'd already be in a Laker uniform.

My dream lineup

Bryant/Meeks/Barbosa
Artest/Harrison Barnes/Ebanks
Gasol/Jamsion/Thomas
Howard/Hill
LAKEROC

Postby therealdeal on Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:54 am

LAKEROC wrote:I wanted the Lakers to offer Etan Thomas a 1 year vet. minimum deal.... Thomas as a 3rd string power forward, who could also play center would be great for the Lakers, in addition to his high character on and off the court. If only Kenyon Martin knew how to carry himself with as much class and integrity as Thomas does, I think he'd already be in a Laker uniform.

If you made more posts like this, people might actually take you seriously. This is well thought out, coherent, and not a ton of weird junk you put together in your head.

Please, please make more points like that and less posts like this:
LAKEROC wrote:I wanted Mitch to trade Chris Duhon+ Andrew Goudelock for Harrison Barnes....

That^ is just nonsense. There's no way that happens and there's no reason to keep bringing it up. It's basically spam at this point.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:04 am

So, has he signed with the Knicks yet?
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:08 am

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:
kray28 wrote:That lip tattoo was disgusting to look at... :disagree:

I'll admit it, this is the reason I don't want him :man10: Personally I like Dwight and Drew, for being clean. But I like Shaq's Superman shield and the Undertaker's arms, so bad a**. Those are artwork. I don't like Martin, Barnes, Birdman and Cherokee Parks (the worst). It looked purposeless scribbles to me.

Don't bypass the swear filter- Barnstable

Not complaining or anything but why is that a swear word? It is used on primetime television. It's not an expletive. No one gets offended when called a bada**
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby therealdeal on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:12 am

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:So, has he signed with the Knicks yet?

I thought it was between us and the Nets. If it's between us and the Knicks he should go there. More playing time, more time with his friends and past teammates. Maybe Kidd can make him good again. :man10:

If he wants to win, come here. If not, have fun in New York. No big deal.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersin4 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:18 am

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:
KareemTheGreat33 wrote:

I'll admit it, this is the reason I don't want him :man10: Personally I like Dwight and Drew, for being clean. But I like Shaq's Superman shield and the Undertaker's arms, so bad a**. Those are artwork. I don't like Martin, Barnes, Birdman and Cherokee Parks (the worst). It looked purposeless scribbles to me.

Not complaining or anything but why is that a swear word? It is used on primetime television. It's not an expletive. No one gets offended when called a bada**

Unless it's in this manner

Barnstable just asked KareemTheGreat33 not to bypass the swear filter, please respect that. -therealdeal
lakersin4

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:23 am

LAKEROC wrote:About as close to my "dream season" as I wanted.

I wanted Antwan Jamison for the vet. minimum....We got that deal done

I want Mitch to get Leandro Barbosa for vet . minimum deal.....This is a possibility

I wanted Mitch to trade Chris Duhon+ Andrew Goudelock for Harrison Barnes....No I haven't been puffing the magic dragon lately.

I'm not smoking anything, but my perfect offseason would be this.....

Duhon / Glock for Lebron
Morris / Blake for Durant
DJO/Sacre for Rondo
Ebanks for Love
MWP for Harden
Hill for Hibbert

:man4: :man4: :man4: Mitch would be the man if he pulled this off!!!

Rondo / Nash
Kobe / Harden
Lebron / Durant
Love / Pau
D12 / Hibbert

No pipedream at all....If Mitch can do this. :man13:

Add in Jamison / Barbosa / Martin / Meeks / Terrence Williams / Pietrus and that team is unreal.
Last edited by Doc Brown on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:25 am

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:
KareemTheGreat33 wrote:

I don't know about the other mods, but for me personally it's less about word iself and more about the fact that the word is filtered for a reason. Whether or not you agree with the word being filtered is a discussion best suited for the "Sites, Rules, and Suggestions Forum" but bypassing the filter is still against the rules.

It's not hard feelings or anything, just doing the job. :beer:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:26 am

^ :man10:
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:55 am

therealdeal wrote:
KareemTheGreat33 wrote:
KareemTheGreat33 wrote:

I don't know about the other mods, but for me personally it's less about word iself and more about the fact that the word is filtered for a reason. Whether or not you agree with the word being filtered is a discussion best suited for the "Sites, Rules, and Suggestions Forum" but bypassing the filter is still against the rules.

It's not hard feelings or anything, just doing the job. :beer:

:beer: no problem I think the mods here are the best in da whole internets that's why I stayed here for eight years. I'm just wondering who chooses to censor certain harmless words :man9:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby therealdeal on Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:03 am

KareemTheGreat33 wrote: :beer: no problem I think the mods here are the best in da whole internets that's why I stayed here for eight years. I'm just wondering who chooses to censor certain harmless words :man9:

Thank you sir, much appreciated. :bow:

And I assume ClubLakers is the one who set up the swear filter... I don't really know to be honest.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersin4 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:54 am

I run quite a few forums myself so I understand the need for the rule, but a suggestion I've seen on a few sites with the swear filters. You could use the spoiler code & have posters add a disclaimer about the swearing when it comes to posting a meme or something that may violate the rule, but add to discussion/provide a good laugh. That way anyone that's offended by profanity simply doesn't click the link to see the meme. Not something I'm lobbying for but I have a habit of optimizing forum experience for users, as my paycheck depends on them sticking around!
lakersin4

Postby therealdeal on Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:00 pm

Duly noted but let's bring it back to the topic at hand.

:jam2:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:08 am

Texas Lakers Fan wrote:
bruddahmanmatt wrote:
Texas Lakers Fan wrote:
bruddahmanmatt wrote:No offense but these days, the only thing scary about Kobe defensively is how horribad he is at that end of the floor.

Did you watch the Olympics at all? Kobe was a monster on that end. Now he doesn't go all out like World Peace every game because he simply can't do it anymore without getting gassed and having nothing left for the offensive end. To say he's horribad is just ridiculous. Kobe is still an above average defender.

Bruh, he averaged 17.5 minutes per game in London where hand checking is allowed...while playing alongside guys with ridonkulous athleticism out on the perimeter...oh yeah, and to top it all off, the man had Tyson Chandler behind him protecting the rim.

Kobe is capable of having a solid defensive performance or two here and there, but these days he's almost always pretty much awful at that end of the floor. The fact that he was named to the All-D team last year while Iguodala wasn't shows how blind the folks who voted are. FWIW, it's not Bryant's fault, the man is simply 33 going on 34.

So it's Kobe's fault he playing with great defenders on Team USA? C'mon now.

Is that what I said...because I'm pretty sure that's not what I said.

Texas Lakers Fan wrote:Bottomline is Kobe played GREAT defense for his team which was a huge reason they won the Gold Medal again.

Bottom line is that Kobe played great TEAM defense and decent enough man defense alongside a slew of athletes who helped to mask Bryant's physical deficiencies at the defense end, not to mention Bryant only spent about half as much time on the court per game versus his regular PT in the NBA. In other words...he had help in ways that won't be available to him during the NBA season.

Texas Lakers Fan wrote:Last year in the NBA for the Lakers Kobe had so much responsibility offensively. He had to be the faciltator, was the only perimeter player that could create his own shot, and was the only true/legit closer on the team. Keep in mind this is a guy who's 33 years old and has played in the NBA since he was 17 years old. That's a ton of resoonsibility so to expect him to be able to conistently play lockdown defense is just unrealistic. He may of not deserved to be an All NBA defender, but he wasn't the only one. He's not a great defender on a consistent basis, but he's showm he can be when he puts his mind to it. Overall he's a decent defender. Far from awful. Awful would be Derek Fisher, Ramon Sessions, or Steve Blake.

You're making my case for me here and saying a lot of the same things I've already said. Again, Bryant is capable of having a great defensive showing every now and again, but for the most part, dude is gambling for steals instead of staying with his man, and while having Dwight behind him will help to take some of the pressure off, that doesn't make Kobe any better defensively, it just means that he has better help, help that will mask his deficiencies at the defensive end.

FWIW, you're splitting hairs when it comes to the term "awful". If we're being honest, Bryant's D for the most part is mediocre to piss poor while guys like Fish and Ramon are just plain atrocious. That said regardless of how you spell it out, awful is awful. Like I said before, it's not Kobe's fault, the man is simply 33 going on 34.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby lakersStan24 on Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:20 am

So is He coming or not??
Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
lakersStan24

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:23 am

lakersStan24 wrote:So is He coming or not??

I'm not sure, let me give him a call and see what he is going to do.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby lakersStan24 on Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:34 am

Doc Brown wrote:

ok let me know
Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
lakersStan24

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:47 am

lakersStan24 wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:

ok let me know

I got his voicemail. He told me last week when we talked, that he was going on vacation and he was getting back into town tonight.
Doc Brown

Postby lakersStan24 on Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:48 am

Doc Brown wrote:
lakersStan24 wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:

ok let me know

I got his voicemail. He told me last week when we talked, that he was going on vacation and he was getting back into town tonight.

Cool
lakersStan24

Postby JGC on Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:04 am

Story.
JGC

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:16 am

Bro
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:24 am

Doc Brown

Postby ben_ready on Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:31 am

Nash has the worst d all Pg's eyes light up going against him but he always gets a pass why is that. Kobe can guard stop short changing the god. Kenyon is ok but y'all overate him yell™
great "scott"! you're too "green", and not "worthy" enough to taste the "magic" "kareem"(cream)/You flew the "coop" "west" so don't fuss just drive the "buss"(bus),while i eat my "chick" n' "stu"(chicken stew) in the aisle,"back 2 back" with "riles" my favorite laker squad
ben_ready

Postby therealdeal on Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:38 am

ben_ready wrote:Nash has the worst d all Pg's eyes light up going against him but he always gets a pass why is that. Kobe can guard stop short changing the god. Kenyon is ok but y'all overate him yell™

This is almost completely incoherent.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion