Kenyon Martin: why u no want me?

Re: Kenyon Martin To Lakers?

Postby karacha on Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:48 am

ben_ready wrote:...Kobe can guard stop short changing the god...

"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:03 am

So when is K-Mart gonna make his mind up? This is ridiculous.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby KB24 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:14 am

the only thing ridiculous is Laker fans who want Kenyon Martin.

Excuse my french, you have to be out of your mind to want Martin on the Lakers. Not only are we talking about a washed up idiot and a fake thug, but we are also talking about a potential locker room cancer.

Do you seriously think Martin will be happy here to be bigman #5 or #6 on the team? I would much rather have a guy like Turiaf in that position. Someone who works hard in practice, is an awesome bench presence and doesn't mourn about anything. Martin is none of these.

BTW Earl Clark is also better than Martin.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby XXIV on Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:28 am

^ I agree that if we were to sign Martin we run the risk of him becoming a locker room cancer. However, I would think that if he did choose to come to LA he would know the situation and understand he will fit the role of the 5th bigman coming off the bench.
XXIV

Postby XXIV on Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:39 am

^ Just because you're a bench player doesn't mean you can't be cancerous to your team. All it takes is some negativity and everyone will notice the difference.
XXIV

Postby therealdeal on Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:43 am

If he's brought here for the minimum, the Lakers could just release him if he ends up being a douche.

I honestly don't think he could be a cancer. I think a distraction is definitely something he could be characterized, but I don't remember him ever having a lot of trouble with his teammates.

Anyway, Clark isn't better than Martin. Clark is a big pile of old crap. Martin is a smaller pile.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:05 pm

I've never read anywhere that Martin is a team cancer. Like I said earlier in the thread, hate the guy, but I'd sign him in a second for the minimum, there's a difference between being annoying on the court and hated by other team's fans and being a team cancer. In fact, Martin has only played for 3 different teams his entire career, Nets, Nuggets, and Clippers, I would think if he were a cancer he wouldn't have stayed on only 2 teams for almost his entire career.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Azndude2190 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:07 pm

I would bring him as an insurance policy for our bigs.
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby LakerFan1980 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:10 pm

He would be a good for 10 minutes a night.
LakerFan1980

Postby jadej2 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:18 pm

I have a question would K-Mart be useless when all our bigs are healthy?
jadej2

Postby XXIV on Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:27 pm

jadej2 wrote:I have a question would K-Mart be useless when all our bigs are healthy?

Not necessarily, if our bigs were to be in foul trouble or if we need a more defensive minded presence at the 3/4 we could use K-Mart.
XXIV

Postby KB24 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:11 pm

OMG. Why does everyone ignore the elephant in the room?

Kenyon Martin is an IDIOT.

I will give you one example (careful though because of profanity and amazing grammar)

Spoiler:

a guy that is having "beef" with the fanbase on twitter and says stuff like this is unacceptable. No excuses.

if you really want this guy on your team, you do not value class and dignity, period. A Laker interview in which a player wearing P&G would say "ain't no MoFo gonna score no points tonight". Don't you think character, attitude and IQ matter/contribute to the success of a team?

Also I don't say Martin IS an immidiate cancer. But he has potential to be one if he doesn't like something...like playing the towel boy. If he was Dennis Rodman then I could argue about this but we are talking about a guy that will have minimal contributions and to accept that baggage with him for little to nothing? no thanks.

The Lakers haven't had any great chemistry in the last few years. Nash, Meeks look like great guys and Dwights attitude is the complete opposite of Bynum's goofy behavior so there is hope this season. Getting rid of Barnes certainly didn't hurt either.

Why would we want a knuckle head on the bench and to represent this franchise? Also its not like Martin is a leader or a winner during his career so far. He has been a loser, coming fresh off the Clippers Also I really don't think he intimidiates anyone in the NBA. Every scouting department has his fake hustle nailed by now.

KB24
Site Admin

Postby Finwë on Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:25 pm

karacha wrote:
ben_ready wrote:...Kobe can guard stop short changing the god...

:man10: :man10: :man10: :man10:
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Finwë on Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:31 pm

I'm with KB24 on this one.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby ThizGuy83 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:36 pm

Dwight "tweedle Dee tweedle dum" Howard
ThizGuy83

Postby KB24 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:43 pm

here other dilusional or unacceptable behavior.

Complaining that he should have recieved Al Harrington's extention

When it comes to being dissatisfied with the Denver Nuggets, it looks like Carmelo Anthony is not alone. Teammate Kenyon Martin, who is rehabbing from knee surgery, is annoyed that the team hasn't offered him a contract extension, according to the Associated Press and close sources to the Nugget star.

"The last year of my deal; everybody knows that," Martin said. "Ain't nobody in a hurry to give me one ... so why would I be in a hurry to risk further injury? I'm not rushing into it."

The AP reported that while the 32-year-old Martin says he likes Al Harringon personally, he's annoyed that the Nuggets gave the former New York Knicks forward a five-year, $33 million contract this summer instead of giving that deal to him.

"Me and that man play the same position," Martin said. "I think they could have extended that offer to me. I feel with what I've done and what we've accomplished as a team around here got overlooked."

Martin is finishing up a seven-year, $93 million contract this season. In 323 games with the Nuggets, he's averaged 12.8 points and 7.0 rebounds per game.

It could be a long season in the Mile High City.

saying he is the best post defender of this era ahead of Deke, Ben Wallace and Dwight Howard

Kenyon Martin thinks he's the best defensive post player in recent NBA history. Says he's better than Mutombo, Howard and Ben Wallace

K-Mart on belief he's best post defender in recent NBA: "Deke guarded (just) fives. I guard one through fives... Ben just was a rebounder and Dwight Howard doesn't have my speed or versatility on defense''

K-Mart angry over April 1st joke

Angered at the prank, he went back to the locker room spewing profanities and threats at teammates and other members of the organization.

"That ain't no [expletive] joke," Martin said. "I'm going to find out who did it ... put my [expletive] hands on one of y'all. I'm going to put my hands on whoever did it. You better believe that. It's [expletive] personal. You better believe it."

Martin, who has missed 15 games with a torn patella tendon in his left knee, threatened to boycott the postseason if he did not find out who was responsible.

"How 'bout if I don't play in the playoffs until somebody tells me who did it," Martin said more than once.

KB24
Site Admin

Postby kblo247 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:58 pm

Where did he lie?

Mutumbo rarely guarded PF's because Duncan, JO, Dirk, Webber and KG in the early 00s would just face him up and beat him that way.

Ben guarded 4's and 5s but at their best NJ owned the Pistons, and Ben couldn't hold him in those playoffs. They would have beat Detroit in 04 if Kidd didn't get hurt half way in game 7 to the point he needed microfracture knee surgery

Kenyon didn't lie when he said he guarded 1-5. He didn't guard the 1 in Jersey because no PG was as good as pre-injury Kidd one on one on the ball at the time. He did guard 2-5. His matchup vs Shaq and Duncan in those finals prodcued better numbers than Mutumbo or Todd McCulough. In Denver, Karl took Martin and put him on Parker after AI got torched. When they played us in 08 they put him on Kobe to start the series, and then Pau after Pau started schooling Camby. In game 7 for their season, he shut Rudy Gay down when Rudy was hot to help the clippers advance after a series of containing Zach or Marc after DJ and Blake had let them go off. Kenyon was one of the best one on one post defenders of his time, especially healthy Kenyon which is why NJ made b2b finals, and he was and still as one of the most versatile defenders in the league on the ball as he can still keep perimeter players in front of him

Hate the guy all you want for talking spit, but he's talking some of the realest spit there is and anyone who has seen him play and followed him at his best and even last season where he literally wasn't in ball shapoe would know that.

-----

As for the Nuggets beef, Kenyon never hid that. He was on Real NBA and said he told Melo go for the trade and JR go for FA because the Nuggets weren't about winning, respect, and Karl wasn't good enough to coach them to the next level.

Same with the prank. He never lied. I would put my hands on an idiot who stained all white interior on purpose. It was stupid to stain white interior, and they went in his locker and stole his keys to do it, which invades privacy

Just say you hate him context or no context
Last edited by kblo247 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kblo247

Postby KB24 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:20 pm

sorry lakerswiz, your response indicates you didn't understand my argument entirely. You think profanity doesn't matter, my post wasn't about profanity in itself.

Everyone uses profanity, I do too. Its not the meaning of a word that makes a difference, its the meaning of the sentence and how a professional athlete conducts himself in the public. Saying (to a twittere who is probably 15) you should suck a man's dick to get aids is dumb....how can you seriously compare that to Odom or Bynum's behavior? seriously?

Kobe does use a lot of profanity but not in the same way and by FAR not like that. Its different when you are pissed at something during the game and emotions are high or you say a strong word or two or when you are relaxed during an interview, laughing and throwing an f-bomb. You completely ignored those tweets from Martin I see. And the other stuff too.

We will have to agree to disagree. I feel very different and I value that stuff in a different way than you, words do reveal a lot about your character and maturity as a human being.

PS: As I said, if Martin had all-world talent (like Shaq, Kobe etc.) I could find arguments about us signing him but since he is coming here to ride the bench, no. He never does anything but my argument is that if we are going to add a 5th bigman who isn't going to play, we might hire a guy who can contribute in different ways. Martin doesn't contribute anything but brings a large baggage of haterade from around his time in the NBA.

KB24
Site Admin

Postby KB24 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:35 pm

kblo247 wrote:Where did he lie?

Mutumbo rarely guarded PF's because Duncan, JO, Dirk, Webber and KG in the early 00s would just face him up and beat him that way.

Ben guarded 4's and 5s but at their best NJ owned the Pistons, and Ben couldn't hold him in those playoffs. They would have beat Detroit in 04 if Kidd didn't get hurt half way in game 7 to the point he needed microfracture knee surgery

Kenyon didn't lie when he said he guarded 1-5. He didn't guard the 1 in Jersey because no PG was as good as pre-injury Kidd one on one on the ball at the time. He did guard 2-5. His matchup vs Shaq and Duncan in those finals prodcued better numbers than Mutumbo or Todd McCulough. In Denver, Karl took Martin and put him on Parker after AI got torched. When they played us in 08 they put him on Kobe to start the series, and then Pau after Pau started schooling Camby. In game 7 for their season, he shut Rudy Gay down when Rudy was hot to help the clippers advance after a series of containing Zach or Marc after DJ and Blake had let them go off. Kenyon was one of the best one on one post defenders of his time, especially healthy Kenyon which is why NJ made b2b finals, and he was and still as one of the most versatile defenders in the league on the ball as he can still keep perimeter players in front of him

Hate the guy all you want for talking spit, but he's talking some of the realest spit there is and anyone who has seen him play and followed him at his best and even last season where he literally wasn't in ball shapoe would know that.

-----

As for the Nuggets beef, Kenyon never hid that. He was on Real NBA and said he told Melo go for the trade and JR go for FA because the Nuggets weren't about winning, respect, and Karl wasn't good enough to coach them to the next level.

Same with the prank. He never lied. I would put my hands on an idiot who stained all white interior on purpose. It was stupid to stain white interior, and they went in his locker and stole his keys to do it, which invades privacy

Just say you hate him context or no context

yes you are right, King K-Mart is talking some of the realest spit out there. And yes, he is a better post defender than Duncan, Deke, Howard, Ben Wallace etc.

I confess

I hate him, context or no context.

KB24
Site Admin

Postby Helljumper on Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:56 pm

I think the cancer/thug issues are overplayed. If Martin wants to come here for the minimum, he has to know he's signing off on a minimal role. And I actually think it's good to have a "thug" on the team. These were the same concerns people had before we got Barnes and that didn't end up being an issue.

With that said, I don't really see the need for Martin. We have three players off the bench that can play PF and only one who can play C. If we're looking for big man depth, we should go after a center.
Helljumper

Postby nthydro on Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:11 pm

kblo247 wrote:Same with the prank. He never lied. I would put my hands on an idiot who stained all white interior on purpose. It was stupid to stain white interior, and they went in his locker and stole his keys to do it, which invades privacy

It was one of the Nuggets ball boy at the time. What a freakin moron. I really don't blame Martin for getting upset at all.
nthydro

Postby LAKEROC on Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:19 pm

Can we please just get Leandro Barbosa and Etan Thomas for vet minimum deals, and just call it a day? Both are good quality guys, who would be great for our Locker room, and who both are good leaders on and off the court. Barbosa could be used as a combo 1-2. He was friends with Nash in Phoenix, and had a fantastic Olmypics, and while Thomas could provide toughness in the middle in the event of a Howard absence. He is a good rebounder, and is a great team player. I would be honored to have both of these guys in purple and gold.

Barbosa and Thomas....Please make it happen Mitch!!!! :jam2:
LAKEROC

Postby kblo247 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:21 pm

First off the quite doesnt mention better than Tim, stop lying.

Secondly he and Mutumbo played together and his post defense per possession was better than his vs Tim in the finals. Second, Deke didn't guard the great 4s in the early 00s, Kenyon did. Deke gayreded 5's which was basically Shaq and Yao. Kenyon's points per posession allowed versus Shaq was better than Deke's the previous finals as well as his own big teammates in Williams, McCullough, and KVH

Third, Kenyon dominated the Pistons as a Net on both ends and impacted the game better defensively those series they had which is why NJ ran through them more often than not. And even with Sheed, it took 7 games and Kidd blowing his knee out totally to beat NJ.

LAst, let me go back to Tim as of right now, Kenyon is better. Kenyon didnt get raped by AMrc or Zach like Tim did by whoever he was on the postseason before. In fact Kenyon shut his guy down, as in all 3 members of the Griz starting front court when he was on them. To ignore that means you didn't watch the playoffs

What Kenyon provides in thios league is elite post D, one on one as you don't have to double to help him, and above average perimeter D versus wings. He also is a solid, not great, but solid rebounder and ok scorer. He can help any team he signs up with, and if he was here he would push Ebanks out the rotation long before he became the 5th big as he would guard SFs while Jamison plays SF on offense and PF on defense

-----

I know it was a ball boy who got egged into it by guys on the team stupidly, who wanted see if he was dumb enough to go ina guys locker, get his keys, and mess up an expensive car. Kenyon had every right to want to punch the idiot in the face, I know I would have choked him in the heat of the moment for being stupid and for stealing from me as he went in the guys locker and thru his bags to get the keys
kblo247

Postby nthydro on Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:27 pm

kblo247 wrote:Secondly he and Mutumbo played together and his post defense per possession was better than his vs Tim in the finals. Second, Deke didn't guard the great 4s in the early 00s, Kenyon did. Deke gayreded 5's which was basically Shaq and Yao.

:man3:
nthydro

Postby jadej2 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:55 pm

LAKEROC wrote:Can we please just get Leandro Barbosa and Etan Thomas for vet minimum deals, and just call it a day? Both are good quality guys, who would be great for our Locker room, and who both are good leaders on and off the court. Barbosa could be used as a combo 1-2. He was friends with Nash in Phoenix, and had a fantastic Olmypics, and while Thomas could provide toughness in the middle in the event of a Howard absence. He is a good rebounder, and is a great team player. I would be honored to have both of these guys in purple and gold.

Barbosa and Thomas....Please make it happen Mitch!!!! :jam2:

Sorry, but you're late since Meeks signed there is no need for Barbosa anymore, and we need a PG who can defend anyway because we know Nash can't defend and Duhon as of now is our best pg defender.
jadej2

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion