Kenyon Martin: why u no want me?

Re: Kenyon Martin To Lakers?

Postby therealdeal on Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:54 pm

Well. I'm glad you know and understand what's going on then.

All I'm saying in this situation is that nothing is set with the Lakers lineup. I think there's a lot to be said for what they did this off-season and it proved to me that the team is going to constantly try to improve their roster. That means if we can find a way to get rid of some of these younger guys for more proven veterans, I'm betting we do it.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:55 pm

We're all friendly here. :man1:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:40 pm

Doc Brown wrote:We're all friendly here. :man1:

Yeah unless you throw out a dumb or not well thought out "take" and then everyone kills you... :man10:
LTLakerFan

Postby Finwë on Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:20 pm

Doc Brown wrote:We're all friendly here. :man1:

:man10:
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Kenyon Martin Upset He Can't Get NBA Job

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:58 pm

Kenyon Martin Upset He Can't Get NBA Job

By Marc J. Spears

The NBA season is nearly a week old, and Kenyon Martin doesn't know why he still can't find a job in the league. He helped the Los Angeles Clippers during their playoff run last season. His knee issues of the past no longer seem to trouble him. And he's even willing to take a contract for the league minimum.

So why hasn't any team called wanting to sign him?

"There is a notion about me that is not accurate at all – I don't know who started it or where it came from – that people can't control me," Martin told Yahoo! Sports. "I don't understand. Have I had my issues like a lot of other people? Yeah. But I'm getting back that people think they can't control me, that if I don't play I'm going to explode, or I can turn a locker room.

"In 12 years there was not one day where I told one guy to dislike anybody. If you ask guys who I've played with that know me, they know what it is and know I'm about winning basketball games and competing."

Martin came off the bench to average 5.2 points, 4.3 rebounds and 22.2 minutes in 42 games with the Clippers while backing up Blake Griffin last season. The Clippers didn't attempt to re-sign Martin in the offseason. The New York Knicks, Los Angeles Lakers, Dallas Mavericks, Brooklyn Nets, Atlanta Hawks and San Antonio Spurs expressed interest at the start of free agency, sources said, but no NBA team has offered a contract – even a non-guaranteed deal – to Martin.

Martin, 34, had hoped to sign with a title contender. Now, he'll be open to joining any NBA team.

"If someone calls me tomorrow, I don't care who it is, whether it's losing or winning at this point," Martin said. "If someone calls me tomorrow and wants me to come in, I'm going. Guys are going down and [teams] are like, 'Well, we are going to stick with what we got.' I'm like, 'Really?' I started questioning myself, 'Am I that bad of a guy?' "

Martin wonders if his reputation as an emotional player who has been known to speak his mind is being held against him.

"Am I emotional? Yeah, but that's what made me who I am," Martin said. "Is that too much or did I not do enough? Do I have my flaws? Yes. But have I done things the right way on and off the court? Yeah."

Portland Trail Blazers general manager Neil Olshey was the Clippers GM last season when he signed Martin. He thinks Martin's intense side can be "misperceived."

"He demands excellence from everyone around him," Olshey said. "He expects coaches to be prepared. He expects his teammates to compete at the same high level that he does. The one thing about Kenyon, if guys are not performing and are not as intense or focused on playing winning basketball, he's not reluctant to let them know about it. And I think that can be misperceived at times."

Olshey said he was "thrilled" with Martin's impact on the Clippers last season.

"We don't win the Memphis series [without Martin] and we certainly wouldn't have finished as high as fifth in the Western Conference without Martin," Olshey said. "His ability to impact the game by guarding multiple positions, switching pick-and-rolls, blocking shots and protecting the rim was an element we really didn't have and it made us unique. I was thrilled with Kenyon in Los Angeles. He was a good teammate."

Olshey's Blazers already have a full roster with 15 players. And he thinks teams needing to develop younger forwards probably wouldn't have interest in Martin playing a reserve role. Martin just hopes he gets a call from someone soon.

"I understand I'm not bigger than the game," Martin said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--kenyo ... 11709.html
Kobe8Fan

Postby therealdeal on Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:02 pm

I still would like him on the team, especially now that he's hungry to prove his worth, but we don't need him as much as we need someone like Delonte West.

Heck not even Delonte, but a more serviceable 3rd string PG.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:10 pm

We should sign him so that Brown can play him at small forward.

Length.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:12 pm

karacha wrote:We should sign him so that Brown can play him at small forward.

Length.

He can play SF. He done that a lot with the Clips last year. Helped them a great deal.
Kobe8Fan

Postby karacha on Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:14 pm

Great. Morris/Ebanks/Martin/Hill/Sacre.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Tobias Funke on Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:17 pm

karacha wrote:Great. Morris/Ebanks/Martin/Hill/Sacre.

They may not put up 30pt quarters, but with all that length I doubt even the Heat or Thunder can score effectively.

Genius.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:18 pm

We would have so much length, damn, sign him up.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:21 pm

therealdeal wrote:I still would like him on the team, especially now that he's hungry to prove his worth, but we don't need him as much as we need someone like Delonte West.

Heck not even Delonte, but a more serviceable 3rd string PG.

I've been saying the same thing - that we need a backup PG more than anything, but Duhon showed me something in the preseason, and showed me some more tonight. Duhon is playing pretty well. Not sure why he is in the Brown doghouse.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:28 pm

I think Brown is just obsessed with his version of testing lineups: sitting the effective players to try to play the ineffective ones.

Duhon looked alright, but remember he was playing against the bad players of a really bad team so that changes things. He played a few minutes the other night against the Clippers I think and he looked much less effective. Still, if he can duplicate tonight's effort and efficiency running the offense, he should easily be playing those backup minutes over the largely ineffective Morris.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersStan24 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:49 am

He's a Good Scorer & Perimeter Shooter so Sign Him Up!!
Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
lakersStan24

Postby KB24 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:35 am

there is a reason no NBA team has touched him yet with a 10 foot pole.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby themasterphil on Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:57 am

i would like to see him on our team , he can bring some effort and veteran plays so he can help
themasterphil

Re: Kenyon Martin Upset He Can't Get NBA Job

Postby kenzo on Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:25 am

Kobe8Fan wrote:http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--kenyon-martin-upset-he-can-t-get-nba-job-04311709.html

Im loving the video (at the bottom of the page). Lee calling out Biff "Stop flpping" :man10: :jam2:
kenzo

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:20 am

It goes without saying that China is not an option :man10:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:42 pm

would be good reassurance for a jordan hill / dwight injury. his game is the same as hip essentially
Ariza3

Postby XXIV on Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:43 pm

I wouldn't mind having him on the team, he can take the place of Morris that way Brown has to play Duhon as the backup.
XXIV

Postby purp n gold on Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:32 pm

Ariza3 wrote:would be good reassurance for a jordan hill / dwight injury. his game is the same as hip essentially

I disagree, at this stage of their careers I think Jordan Hill is a far better rebounder.

K-Mart MIGHT be a better defender. For me, we either add K-Mart or West. I forgot our roster situation but we shouldn't add two crazies at the same time.
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:42 pm

KB24 wrote:there is a reason no NBA team has touched him yet with a 10 foot pole.

cause the 10-foot poles are on backorder?
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby revgen on Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:44 pm

Well I can tell Kenyon why he's not on this team.

Jordan Hill.

As to why other teams aren't touching him? Hard to say.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby TIME on Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:51 pm

Why was this bumped?
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:53 pm

^A new article came out yesterday reporting on Kenyon's despair after finding out that no NBA team wants to sign him.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion