Kenyon Martin: why u no want me?

Kenyon Martin: why u no want me?

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:19 am

Kenyon Martin looking at Lakers and Nets in free agency.

Source

Interesting. Maybe Jamison will be playing the 3?
Texas Lakers Fan

Re: Kenyon Martin To Lakers?

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:27 am

Via Sam Amick, Sports Illustrated
Kenyon Martin, meanwhile, isn't so lucky. The 12-year veteran was a key reserve for the Clippers, his impact going way beyond his marginal numbers (5.2 points, 4.3 rebounds) for a team that reached the second round of the playoffs for the second time in franchise history. But sources said the 34-year-old power forward is holding up this later stage of the hiring process for frontcourt free agents, with the Lakers and the Nets among the teams he's considering and negotiation leverage seemingly gone because so many of his colleagues seem willing to take minimum deals.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby khmrP on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:33 am

throwing Laker name to get more money, nothing new here.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:34 am

Leverage. No more, no less.

If he comes here, that'd be great. We'd be stacked at the 4/5, but I just don't see it. Why come here for less minutes and the same money? Unless he's dedicated to winning a ring, he ain't coming across the locker room hall.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:35 am

khmrP wrote:throwing Laker name to get more money, nothing new here.

That's what I'm thinking as well. We already have Pau/Hill backing up Bynum, with Jamison/Hill/McRoberts backing up Pau. We really don't have enough PT for him, unless he's fine with that.
XXIV

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:38 am

I like what the front office is doing though. I talked about a little in my video, but our bigs played way too many minutes last season. Drew who averaged about 35 mpg. Pau averaged 38 mpg. That's way too many minutes. That number went up even more in the postseason. People talk about their lack of a consistent effort in the postseason, but I think all those minutes they played made them fatigued and are a big reason for their lack of effort.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby therealdeal on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:45 am

KeepBynum wrote:I like what the front office is doing though. I talked about a little in my video, but our bigs played way too many minutes last season. Drew who averaged about 35 mpg. Pau averaged 38 mpg. That's way too many minutes. That number went up even more in the postseason. People talk about their lack of a consistent effort in the postseason, but I think all those minutes they played made them fatigued and are a big reason for their lack of effort.

True, but you're already looking at Jamison and McRoberts backing up the 4 with Hill there and behind Bynum as well. There's 96 minutes available at the 4/5 spot this season and At least 60 are going to Bynum/Gasol, probably closer to 65-68. That leaves 28-31 minutes for 3 guys who are already capable of contributing. Add in another and I think that qualifies as a log-jam.

If we moved McRoberts for someone and then brought in Martin somehow that'd be gravy. We could slide Jamison up and have a solid defender/rebounder in there at the 4. We can do the same with McRoberts though and we're already paying him over 3 million.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:54 am

therealdeal wrote:
KeepBynum wrote:I like what the front office is doing though. I talked about a little in my video, but our bigs played way too many minutes last season. Drew who averaged about 35 mpg. Pau averaged 38 mpg. That's way too many minutes. That number went up even more in the postseason. People talk about their lack of a consistent effort in the postseason, but I think all those minutes they played made them fatigued and are a big reason for their lack of effort.

True, but you're already looking at Jamison and McRoberts backing up the 4 with Hill there and behind Bynum as well. There's 96 minutes available at the 4/5 spot this season and At least 60 are going to Bynum/Gasol, probably closer to 65-68. That leaves 28-31 minutes for 3 guys who are already capable of contributing. Add in another and I think that qualifies as a log-jam.

If we moved McRoberts for someone and then brought in Martin somehow that'd be gravy. We could slide Jamison up and have a solid defender/rebounder in there at the 4. We can do the same with McRoberts though and we're already paying him over 3 million.

therealdeal always makes great points. Agreed.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby 432J on Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:06 am

classic case of just throwing the lakers name out there to get more interest and money from other teams

he won't be playing for the lakers next season
432J

Postby therealdeal on Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:08 am

Finwë wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

therealdeal always makes great points. Agreed.

therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:19 am

^ :man10:
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby karacha on Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:24 am

Move McBob and sure... Why not?
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:27 am

:man10: :man10:
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Whatthef? on Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:28 am

If Dwight comes, McBob goes with Bynum to match the salary, so we might need Martin. :man1:
Whatthef?

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:33 am

If he came for the minimum I'd be all for it. He can guard the post and on the perimeter. Our pick and roll defense would be better as well.

I think if a D12 deal goes down he would hop on board. Let Jamison play some 3......

Nash / Meeks
Kobe / JRich
MWP / Jamison
Pau / Martin
D12 / Hill

I can dig it because Jamison can stretch the floor on offense and Martin can check some SF's on defense to cover for Jamison.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby khmrP on Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:36 am

Doc Brown wrote:If he came for the minimum I'd be all for it. He can guard the post and on the perimeter. Our pick and roll defense would be better as well.

I think if a D12 deal goes down he would hop on board. Let Jamison play some 3......

Nash / Meeks
Kobe / JRich
MWP / Jamison
Pau / Martin
D12 / Hill

I can dig it because Jamison can stretch the floor on offense and Martin can check some SF's on defense to cover for Jamison.

looks good but dont think Meeks can create as a PG. I wouldn't mind instead of Jrich we get Hedo and Meeks can be the sg, Hedo while still slow as a turtle can still create offense for others, imagine him and Jamison running PnR :man1:
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:42 am

Doc Brown wrote:If he came for the minimum I'd be all for it. He can guard the post and on the perimeter. Our pick and roll defense would be better as well.

Nash / Meeks
Kobe / JRich
MWP / Jamison
Pau / Martin
D12 / Hill

I like it. With the Princeton offense, a traditional PG isn't really mandatory. We'd be so strong offensively with a team like this... I mean damn. We'd be an unstoppable engine on that end. Defensively we'd still be great. Not amazing, maybe not top 3, but definitely enough to balance the team.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:51 am

An easy fix to the Meeks at PG would be to give Nash more minutes with second unit and let Meeks run with the starters. Kobe/Pau can help relieve some facilitating problems. As Real pointed out with the new offense, I don't see a big problem, but rather something that can be fixed with a little creativity.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:03 pm

Doc Brown wrote:An easy fix to the Meeks at PG would be to give Nash more minutes with second unit and let Meeks run with the starters. Kobe/Pau can help relieve some facilitating problems. As Real pointed out with the new offense, I don't see a big problem, but rather something that can be fixed with a little creativity.

Damn that team is so versatile...

Want a lineup where Howard can be the focus?
Nash/Meeks/Richarson/Jamison/Howard

Want a lineup where Bryant can be the focus?
Meeks/Bryant/Artest/Jamison/Hill

Want a lineup where Gasol can be the focus?
Nash/Meeks/Jamison/Gasol/Hill

Want a lineup where Nash can be the focus?
Nash/anyone/anyone/some popcorn/a roll of tape/anyone

Want a lineup where Artest can be the focus?
no.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby GoldHammish on Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:06 pm

therealdeal wrote:Want a lineup where Nash can be the focus?

no.

:man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10:
GoldHammish

Postby Kou on Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:07 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:An easy fix to the Meeks at PG would be to give Nash more minutes with second unit and let Meeks run with the starters. Kobe/Pau can help relieve some facilitating problems. As Real pointed out with the new offense, I don't see a big problem, but rather something that can be fixed with a little creativity.

Damn that team is so versatile...

Want a lineup where Howard can be the focus?
Nash/Meeks/Richarson/Jamison/Howard

Want a lineup where Bryant can be the focus?
Meeks/Bryant/Artest/Jamison/Hill

Want a lineup where Gasol can be the focus?
Nash/Meeks/Jamison/Gasol/Hill

Want a lineup where Nash can be the focus?

no

:man10:
NBA 2k9 team:

Fisher/Rose/Watson
Bryant/Wells
Lee/Ariza/Walton
Gasol/Yi
Bynum/Zo
Kou

Postby Punk-101 on Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:08 pm

Martin/Howard PnR D would be something special.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby Kobe8Fan on Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:23 pm

From what I seen last year with the Clips, K-Mart can still play defense. But I don't he'll get enough playing time with Antawn and Jordan sharing minutes at PF. Antawn hasn't play SF for the past few years. So I don't think the Lakers will move him back at that spot. He would be a disaster defensively at SF.
Kobe8Fan

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:51 pm

Kobe8Fan wrote:From what I seen last year with the Clips, K-Mart can still play defense. But I don't he'll get enough playing time with Antawn and Jordan sharing minutes at PF. Antawn hasn't play SF for the past few years. So I don't think the Lakers will move him back at that spot. He would be a disaster defensively at SF.

That's why KMart guards the opposing 3 and Jamison guards Martin's man.

Jamison has the offensive skills to play like a 3, Martin doesn't have the offensive skills to play the 3.

Martin has the defensive skills to play the 3, Jamison doesn't have the defensive skills to play the 3.

Put them in together and both can cover for each other quite nicely on both ends of the floor.
Doc Brown

Postby GoldHammish on Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:54 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Kobe8Fan wrote:From what I seen last year with the Clips, K-Mart can still play defense. But I don't he'll get enough playing time with Antawn and Jordan sharing minutes at PF. Antawn hasn't play SF for the past few years. So I don't think the Lakers will move him back at that spot. He would be a disaster defensively at SF.

That's why KMart guards the opposing 3 and Jamison guards Martin's man.

Jamison has the offensive skills to play like a 3, Martin doesn't have the offensive skills to play the 3.

Martin has the defensive skills to play the 3, Jamison doesn't have the defensive skills to play the 3.

Put them in together and both can cover for each other quite nicely on both ends of the floor.

Seems a little too complicated for Potato head to come up with :man10:
GoldHammish

Next

Return to NBA Discussion