Is Kevin Durant going to win his first MVP?

Is Kevin Durant going to win his first MVP?

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:13 am

He's been playing really above expectations this season and his team's record is top two right?
Jazzygirl205

Re: Is Kevin Durant going to win his first MVP?

Postby Iceberg Slim on Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:20 am

In one word: Yup
www.thesportslyceum.com - personal blog

Iceberg Slim

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:33 am

-Best player in the West by a good margin and 2nd best player in the league ...

- 50/40/90 ... maybe the 1st doing it leading the league in scoring

- OKC has the best record in the league playing in the way tougher Conference
- Heat is having the usual " we're the defending champs and couldn't care less about the regular season" year.

I don't think there is a valid argument against him being the MVP so far
wcsoldier81

Postby Iceberg Slim on Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:42 am

Good thread, btw.

Iceberg Slim

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:26 am

Thank you Iceberg :)
Jazzygirl205

Postby v1n5anity on Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:52 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:-Best player in the West by a good margin and 2nd best player in the league ...

- Heat is having the usual " we're the defending champs and couldn't care less about the regular season" year.

LeBron James.
v1n5anity

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:03 am

V1n5anity wrote:
wcsoldier81 wrote:-Best player in the West by a good margin and 2nd best player in the league ...

LeBron James.

Heat has an inferior record in a way weaker Conf so no... Bron stats are insane though ( minus the FT%)
wcsoldier81

Postby dj vitus on Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:50 am

Factor in the loss of James Harden, and OKC's record looks incredible. Definitely helps KD's MVP case.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:20 pm

He will get votes but the Media has made up their mind before the season started. KD is playing amazing though and definately deserves an MVP.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Forward Three on Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:37 pm

Seems likely, It's between him and Lebron for sure.
Forward Three

Postby laker911 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:45 pm

Huh?
laker911

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:50 pm

^I assume:

50% from two
40% from three
90% from the line
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:01 pm

Co-MVP. Book it.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby abeer3 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:43 pm

he'll get it the same way malone and barkley got it: writers will get bored of voting for lebron.
abeer3

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:10 pm

^same way Kobe got his too. The life time achievement MVP
puffyusaf#2

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:40 pm

I threw CP3 in there in the beginning but the Clippers have won games without him so he kind of isn't in it anymore. But It's between Durant and LeBron, if Durant wins it he deserves especially with them losing James Harden and still chasing L.A. for the best record in the west. Crazy thing is KD isn't even in his prime, he'll probably be the player I attach to after bean retires him or Derrick Rose. They both play for the game and not the popularity.
Jazzygirl205

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:28 am

Jazzygirl205 wrote:I threw CP3 in there in the beginning but the Clippers have won games without him so he kind of isn't in it anymore. But It's between Durant and LeBron, if Durant wins it he deserves especially with them losing James Harden and still chasing L.A. for the best record in the west. Crazy thing is KD isn't even in his prime, he'll probably be the player I attach to after bean retires him or Derrick Rose. They both play for the game and not the popularity.

The problem with that thought is just as with Kobe the writers will ignore the tougher conference and give it, in my opinion, to Lebron. The fans have the same mentality too. Most will say, "best player on best team" of course then when a team like the Spurs (Last year) was playing for best record in the NBA Tony Parker got no love in voting. KD will fall into the, "he is still young enough to get one or two MVP's" thought process which is wrong. As for the Harden thing I think will be looked over because of the play of Kevin Martin off the bench. KD may very well follow in Kobe's shadow in one major way... He followed behind the "great one" too soon. Unless something drastic happens to Lebron I really only see KD getting the life time achievement MVP like Kobe did when he finally won it.
puffyusaf#2

Postby therealdeal on Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:30 am

Hopefully he gets it.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Iceberg Slim on Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:12 pm

If KD and the Thunder have the best record in the league by the end of the season, it's his...point blank period. The writers have not made up their minds. This fallacy or thought of perception has always bothered me about fans of the game, as if there is a agenda for this award. Shaq or Jordan should have it every year if there was an agenda.

Durant probably won't slow down. His numbers probably won't take a nosedive. So remember this post. If KD doesn't win it with the current numbers he's putting up and the win rate stays consistent, you can clown me. But if I'm a betting man, it's KD's to lose.

Iceberg Slim

Postby thkthebest on Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:12 pm

It's between him and LeBron. I think that both can present a pretty good argument, although Durant has the slight edge imo.

I don't like it when people factor in the team's record so much that it's the be-all and end-all though. If OKC has a 1-win advantage over Miami, you really need to look at more than just the record to decide your winner.

Also, Durant continues to amaze me in just how much he improves every season. It's insane.
My signature
thkthebest

Postby abeer3 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:44 pm

i actually really like durant, the guy and the game. much more than i like lebron or cp3 the guy. but i like each of the latter two's games better than kd's.

if you pick the award based on what the team would be without the guy, i go with paul (yes, i know they won two games without him...still, he's their entire "system"). if you go based on who's the biggest nightmare for opposing coaches in general, it's lebron. what an absolute beast he's been this year (and last). he's got massive impact on both ends of the floor; something that really can't be said for the other two, imo.

so, to reiterate: kd gets it like malone or barkley got it: by default and out of boredom.
abeer3

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:34 pm

Iceberg Slim wrote:If KD and the Thunder have the best record in the league by the end of the season, it's his...point blank period. The writers have not made up their minds. This fallacy or thought of perception has always bothered me about fans of the game, as if there is a agenda for this award. Shaq or Jordan should have it every year if there was an agenda.

Durant probably won't slow down. His numbers probably won't take a nosedive. So remember this post. If KD doesn't win it with the current numbers he's putting up and the win rate stays consistent, you can clown me. But if I'm a betting man, it's KD's to lose.

He's only 24, so just think he has room to get better and better, and if this season is a window into the things we have to look for in his future career then my goodness he's going to gain more and more fans.

I'm torn though because he's gonna be heck years to come for my Lakers in the West.
Jazzygirl205

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:28 pm

He's basically incapable of having an inefficient scoring night these days. Even when he shoots the ball poorly (these past two games 13/31 and 7/20) he's still able to rack up the points (52 and 37) by getting to the FT line 20+ times and make all of them.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby Congo Cash on Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:32 am

He will get one at some point, when they feel sorry for him...
- insert signature here -
Congo Cash

Postby LakerFanIam on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:35 am

I sure hope so... Can't stand watching LBJ get another one...
LakerFanIam

Next

Return to NBA Discussion