Kevin Durant Grew Up Modeling Game After Larry Bird

Kevin Durant Grew Up Modeling Game After Larry Bird

Postby Kobe8Fan on Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:48 am

Kevin Durant is currently recording career highs in rebounds, assists and steals. Durant is scoring slightly less, but he has never been more efficient.

Durant has closed the gap slightly between himself and the NBA's best player, LeBron James, but there is another comparison he may prefer.

"Larry Bird is a guy I like watching," Durant said. "I watch film on him all the time. I like his approach to the game when he was playing. When I first started playing the game, my Godfather Taras Brown – who taught me how to play – he always was a Larry Bird guy, always used to look up his stats."

Durant wants to have a Bird-like season in which he shoots 50 percent from the field, 40 percent from three and 90 percent from the free throw line.

"So of course as I got older and started to watch NBATV, Legends games, and of course you here the stories about the rivalries with him and the Lakers and him and Magic, so I like his competitiveness, how low-maintenance he was, how he just went out there and did his job. He played hard. He played for the love of the game, and that's what I've got."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nb ... y/1748853/
Kobe8Fan

Re: Kevin Durant Grew Up Modeling Game After Larry Bird

Postby Forklift on Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:15 pm

problem his personality is much to humble compared to Larry Bird. "I'm just looking around to see who's gonna finish up second." :man10: .
Forklift

Postby Juronimo on Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:44 pm

Forklift wrote:problem his personality is much to humble compared to Larry Bird. "I'm just looking around to see who's gonna finish up second." :man10: .

Yep, Bird was a ruthless, mean, and arrogant bastard. I don't see that in Durant at all. Skillswise though they're comparable.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby gcclaker on Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:52 pm

Both are great outside shooters but Bird was a rugged rebounder and a better passer.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby purp n gold on Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:30 pm

KD might have a better shot (and more difficult to defend bc of the length of his arms) but Larry was a better rebounder. And even with that considered, I still think Larry's passing was the best part of his game. KD is no where close in terms of playmaking.

Larry had great "hands", especially on defense. He clearly didn't have the explosiveness/lateral quickness to defend, but imagine the way Artest currently plays defense with his quick hands... Larry's hands might have been quicker than Artest's. It's just that Artest had the hands + lateral quickness in his best days at Indy...

KD meanwhile has been a subpar defender... not terrible, but below average IMO.
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby therealdeal on Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:35 am

Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby 432J on Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:39 am

bird could also use his off hand like no other player has before

the only player i can think of that has used both his left and right hands effectively is nash. search larry bird left handed game on youtube and you'll see
432J

Postby Congo Cash on Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:40 am

Almost no similarities except scoring...

Below average defender, average passer, and will defer to anyone...
- insert signature here -
Congo Cash

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:57 am

Durant has stepped his game up big time this season, he has been playing better than LeBron imo

But I think he will always be a scorer first, he just doesn't have the ability to pull off a LeBron or Bird type of game and if he tries to it will only hold him back from utilizing his strengths.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby XXIV on Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:46 am

Well they're both clutch and they can score, but I feel Bird impacted the game much more with his superior passing ability. He was also much more of a leader than Durant currently is.
XXIV

Postby Balance&Options24 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:36 pm

It would be great for the NBA if he and Lebron could develop a rivalry over these next few years like Magic and Bird had.

it couldnt be of the same magnitude but there could be similarities, you can argue the 2 best players in league, one plays for a blue collar town and the other a flashy city.

Too bad they're so friendly towards each other.
If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
Balance&Options24

Return to NBA Discussion