Kevin Durant Still Adjusting To Play-Making Role

Postby Kobe8Fan on Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:47 pm

Kevin Durant Undergoing Further Improvement As Passer

Kevin Durant appears to be making a big improvement as a passer this season.

Durant had a very low assist rate in his initial NBA seasons despite how frequently the ball was in his hands.

"I’m just trying to make the right play and slow down a little bit," said Durant. "I think I’m playing with a good pace, playing slow to fast and just being able to see the floor. I’m just taking my time. Last year I maybe was rushing and I might get a turnover. In the post, I might go to quickly and I don’t have anything to do. So I’m just slowing down. Mark Bryant has been really good at helping me in the post, and Rex (Kalamian) has been really good in pick-and-rolls, just telling me to slow down and try to make the right plays.”

Durant had only averaged 2.5 or 2.6 assists per 36 minutes until that number elevated to 3.3 in 11-12.

“I’m going on my sixth year so the game is starting to slow down for me a little bit. We practice every single day so I know where the passes are going to be. I just got to make them. It’s as simple as that. It’s just a matter of me coming off patient and waiting for the play to develop and either finding my teammate or finding a shot for myself.”

http://blog.newsok.com/thunderrumblings ... ggets-101/
Last edited by Kobe8Fan on Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kobe8Fan

Re: Kevin Durant Undergoing Further Improvement As Passer

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:35 am

undergoing? like a surgery?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dj vitus on Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:53 pm

Kevin Durant is in his 6th year already??? :man4: Where the hell does time go?!?!
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby XXIV on Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:43 pm

He really needs to improve is handling more than anything, although that may not be easy for someone of his height. If Westbrook would be a better passer there wouldn't be as much of a need for Durant to improve his passing. That's not to say he shouldn't, but I believe there's other things he should focus on more.
XXIV

Postby lakersStan24 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:56 pm

Nah stick to nailing Long Range 3's and Clutch Shots thats what your good at
Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
lakersStan24

Re: Kevin Durant Still Adjusting To Play-Making Role

Postby Kobe8Fan on Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:53 pm

By John Rohde | Published: November 4, 2012

Three-time All-Star Kevin Durant finished just two assists away from a triple-double against the Atlanta Hawks on Sunday night at Chesapeake Energy Arena.

He also finished just four turnovers shy of a quadruple-double as the Thunder lost 104-95 before a sellout crowd of 18,203.

Rarely does a player threaten a triple-double on what could be considered a so-so performance. Durant had 22 points, but shot just 7 for 17 from the field. He also had 12 points and eight rebounds, but committed six turnovers.

There have been several times the league's three-time scoring champ is thinking pass rather than shoot.

“I never complain about guys trying to make the extra pass and making the right play,” Thunder coach Scott Brooks said. “Kevin is a playmaker who makes the right play. I thought he passed up four shots tonight, and that's something I will talk to him about. When you're open, you've got to shoot it. That's what we talk about to all of our guys.”

Durant has 16 turnovers in three games, a number that would be considerably less if he would look to shoot rather than pass.

“Sometimes I've got to be more aggressive to score. That's what I do,” Durant said. “Next game I'll be better in that area. I've got to make more plays, my teammates and myself. Some shots I think I should have took, but I passed up, but I'll be better next time.”

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-thunder ... z2BNC4V9hD
Kobe8Fan

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:59 pm

Losing Harden and relying on Durant to be your playmaker is just a disaster waiting to happen. He's getting these assists, but their offense looks horrendous because it's just not Durant's strength. I think they will be in trouble.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby therealdeal on Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:31 am

So wait... You've got the best scorer in the league and now you're asking him to be a play maker?

What exactly is Westbrook's capacity on that team?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:13 am

he averages as many assists as his PG this season
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby ramsay13 on Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:48 am

He is just trying to make his game better for the long term. So he wont just be a scorer.
ramsay13

Postby Finwë on Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:22 pm

A mistake IMO. If anything he should be looking to score more. That's his amazing strength, he can score. He's a decent playmaker, but already he's stacking up TOs. Westbrook should be the one working on being more of a play maker, not Durant.
Good for us I guess.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby XXIV on Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:30 pm

Finwë wrote:A mistake IMO. If anything he should be looking to score more. That's his amazing strength, he can score. He's a decent playmaker, but already he's stacking up TOs. Westbrook should be the one working on being more of a play maker, not Durant.
Good for us I guess.

Exactly, this is like having Nowitzki trying to be the PG.
XXIV

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:38 pm

Idiotic, best scorer in the NBA and you'd like him to pass and make plays :freak2:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Frank Dux on Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:52 pm

therealdeal wrote:So wait... You've got the best scorer in the league and now you're asking him to be a play maker?

Didn't stop Lebron or Kobe from being among the best scorers in the league, while be their team's primary playmaker.
Frank Dux

Postby therealdeal on Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:19 am

Frank Dux wrote:
therealdeal wrote:So wait... You've got the best scorer in the league and now you're asking him to be a play maker?

Didn't stop Lebron or Kobe from being among the best scorers in the league, while be their team's primary playmaker.

Has he shown any indication of being able to pass the ball like Kobe Bryant or LeBron James thus far in his career? Those two have a knack for being able to pass the ball and have it intuitively. Does Durant share that characteristic?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:49 pm

Royce Young ‏@dailythunder
This is the first time since his rookie year that KD has gone five straight games without scoring at least 25. Longest streak is 12.

SMH
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby revgen on Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:26 am

Somebody on that team needs to be a playmaker. It ain't gonna be Westbrook.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Return to NBA Discussion