Kevin Garnett Signs Contract Extension

Kevin Garnett Signs Contract Extension

Postby BDG on Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:51 pm

Deal Expected To Average More Than $21M Per
MINNEAPOLIS -- All-Star forward Kevin Garnett signed a five-year contract extension with the Minnesota Timberwolves on Wednesday, satisfied that several offseason acquisitions have given him a better chance for his first playoff success.

"I'm excited for the fans. I'm excited for the city. I'm EXCITED!" Garnett said at a news conference at Target Center, where the Wolves begin the regular season Oct. 29.

That's because Latrell Sprewell, Sam Cassell and Michael Olowokandi, among others, are here. A flurry of summer activity appears to have enhanced Minnesota's roster more than any other club in the ultra-competitive Western Conference.

Only Garnett, Wally Szczerbiak, Troy Hudson and reserve Gary Trent are back from last year's team that was knocked out of the postseason in the first round for the seventh straight time. Garnett will make an NBA-high $28 million this season, the final installment of the record six-year, $126 million deal he signed in Oct. 1, 1997, exactly six years ago.

Owner Glen Taylor's bottom line will take a significant hit this year with a payroll over $70 million, one of the league's highest. It's well above the league's expected luxury-tax threshold of $57 million, and Taylor will be charged next summer for the amount his payroll exceeds that figure.

"In a day when sometimes people question your commitment ... that was a commitment,'' coach Flip Saunders said.

Read More: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1627940

Good for KG!
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Roscoe on Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:56 pm

Yea man, KG deserves that. Now he finally has a team that can compete and hopefully make it to the second round...

"Injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere." - Martin Luther King Jr.
Roscoe
ClubLakers O.G.

Postby BDG on Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:05 pm

That is unless they face the Lakers in Round 1 (not likely though).
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby FabFourLakers on Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:38 pm

So much for KG testing the FA market next summer...i dont think this is the BEST move, he should have atleast tested the FA market like Kidd and J O'neal did...i mean what if the wolves fail again? What if they have team chemistry problems? What if KG is not happy with spree or cassell takin too many shots? WHO KNOWS?!

Well atleast now we know the Nets are not gonna make any big trades to clear up for KG like they have been sayin...Good for Minnesota, and good for KG, hopefully he gets out of the 2nd round this year...lets jus hope he doesnt run into tha lakers in tha 1st round again...
FabFourLakers

Postby rydjorker121 on Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:54 pm

sad...Minnesota is getting stronger and stronger....Mr. McHale are you crazy.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby smilez on Thu Oct 02, 2003 2:34 pm

That makes Kevin the highest paid player in the NBA
smilez

Postby Guest on Thu Oct 02, 2003 4:42 pm

If he's only making $21 million a year, that's a $7 million dollar pay cut from what his contract already was. Shaq's making $26 million a year and he wants a new extension which would bring him $32 million a year!!!!

Just thought i'd add that Shaq is the highest paid player in the NBA now.

Return to NBA Discussion