Kevin Martin Agrees To 4 Year Deal 28 Mill With Timberwolves

Postby Kobe8Fan on Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:21 pm

Kevin Martin Loves Being With Thunder, Expects Free Agency To Be Interesting

Kevin Martin and his agent have not discussed a contract extension with Oklahoma City Thunder management.

“We’re not talking about that right now, we’re just living in the moment," Martin told RealGM before the Thunder played the Nets in Brooklyn on Tuesday. "That’s all this is about. They brought me here to be a great fit for these guys and everything’s been positive thus far, so we want to keep that ball rolling.”

Despite the lack of negotiations, Martin made it clear that returning to the Thunder is a strong possibility.

“I love it,” said Martin. “I’m a Midwest guy and it’s going to be an interesting summer for myself, because I never got a chance to really be a free agent and I’m going to be high in the shooting guard class, so hopefully everything works out here. We have a great thing right now and I’m just living in the moment.”

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/22 ... nteresting
Last edited by Kobe8Fan on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kobe8Fan

Re: Kevin Martin Loves OKC, Expects Free Agency To Be Interestin

Postby XXIV on Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:20 am

It'll be interesting to see how much he commands in the open market and whether OKC is willing to pay that amount.
XXIV

Re: Kevin Martin Loves OKC, Expects Free Agency To Be Interestin

Postby abeer3 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:18 pm

some team will offer him 10 plus for four years if he stays healthy and playing like he has. will okc match that after turning down harden at slightly more? seems unlikely to me, but who knows.
abeer3

Re: Kevin Martin Prefers To Re-Sign With Thunder

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:03 am

Kevin Martin Prefers To Re-Sign With Thunder

SAN FRANCISCO – Kevin Durant helped Kevin Martin feel at home after the Oklahoma City Thunder traded James Harden for Martin before the season started. Reassuring and welcoming phone calls from Durant and Kendrick Perkins helped ease any worries Martin had. But what could keep Martin in a Thunder uniform long-term is Oklahoma City itself.

More money. A familiar leading role. Bigger city. All those pluses are likely available to Martin in free agency this summer. But if the Thunder offer a fair deal, Martin says he prefers to re-sign with the small-market winner than do his due diligence in free agency. Playing with Durant and Russell Westbrook is a bonus, too.

"This summer, hopefully everything works out here," Martin told Yahoo! Sports on Wednesday. "I haven't said that too often. But I will put it out there; hopefully I have found a home in the NBA. I love playing with this group of guys. The organization is great to me. The community has been great to me. It's the happiest I have been during my NBA career."

Martin will approach the $60 million career earnings mark after this season. He is netting $12.4 million in the final year of his contract and is open to signing at a fair price for the winning and happiness of OKC. But can the Thunder afford to keep him, even at a discount with their luxury tax concerns?

"We will handle anything contractual at the appropriate time when the season is concluded," Thunder general manager Sam Presti said. "We certainly are pleased with [Martin] and excited about how he has fit in and how hard he has worked to fit in."

[Related: New Orleans unveils Pelicans logo]

The small-town life makes Martin comfortable. He is proud to be born and raised in Zanesville, Ohio, which has a population of about 25,500. He played college ball at Western Carolina University, in tinier Cullowhee, N.C., which has less than half of Zanesville's population. From 2004-10, Martin also played for the small-market Sacramento Kings before being traded to the Houston Rockets.

"I'm enjoying life now," Martin said. "In Houston and Sacramento, I probably didn't get out too much. It's fun just interacting with [Oklahomans]. It's such a community feel. That's what I love about the whole situation. The city itself, I feel like an Ohio boy here so I feel at home. Oklahoma City just reminds me of Ohio."

An NBA-best 33-10 record is another reason Martin is excited to be with Oklahoma City after all the lackluster seasons he's been a part of. OKC played more than three times as many playoff games last season en route to the NBA Finals (20) as Martin has his entire nine-year NBA career. He has never been on a team that won more than 50 games. While Martin has scored nearly 10,000 points in his career, his lack of winning previously helps him appreciate the good times now.

Martin's NBA fortunes changed in a hotel room in Orlando, Fla., on Oct. 27 when he received a phone call from his agent, Dan Fegan, that he was dealt. He liked playing for the Rockets, was excited about joining Jeremy Lin in the backcourt and had mixed emotions about the trade. After being a starter for most of his career, Martin also knew he'd be coming off the bench with Oklahoma City.

"I knew what type of situation I was going into and that it was a perfect time for my career to be on a contending team in the middle of my prime," Martin said.

Harden averaged 16.8 points last season, was the 2012 Sixth Man of the Year and won an Olympic gold medal with Durant and Westbrook. Martin didn't worry about the basketball part as he averaged 18.4 points for his career. He was concerned about whether he'd be accepted by his new teammates after the popular Harden's departure.

"I didn't want to come in and mess what they had up," Martin said.

[Related: D'Antoni-Nash reunion a bust for Lakers]

The phone calls from Durant and Perkins helped Martin "breathe a little bit."

"I wanted to make him come in and be as comfortable as he can and make his transition smooth," Durant said. "As the leader of the team, I feel obligated to do so. I just told him welcome, we were looking forward to having him."

Martin averages 15 points in 30 minutes per game off the bench while ranking first in the NBA in free-throw percentage (.912) and shooting 43.9 percent from 3-point range. Quickly comfortable in his reserve role, Martin is a potential candidate for the Sixth Man of the Year award.

"He can play in any type of system," Durant said. "He doesn't need the ball to be effective. He can play off guys so well. He can shoot the ball, drive the ball, get to the free-throw line. He plays so well off of Russell, Serge [Ibaka] and myself that he's fit in."

The Thunder traded Harden because they couldn't meet his financial demands. (Harden turned down a four-year, $54 million deal from the Thunder.) OKC is just below the luxury tax this season. Durant will make $17.8 million in the 2013-14 season while Westbrook will make $14.6 million. If Martin can't be re-signed, the Thunder can turn to a much cheaper option in rookie Jeremy Lamb, who will make $2.1 million next season.

For now, Martin sees only one place in his future.

"This is my spot," Martin said, "hopefully."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--thund ... 09753.html
Kobe8Fan

Postby abeer3 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:37 am

see my above comment. the question is whether they're willing to pony up almost as much as they declined for harden to keep martin. i read somewhere that people think martin won't command much more than the MLE this summer, but i doubt that. several teams have cap space, and if martin keeps up this pace, you could argue he's one of the top FAs available this summer (really, are al jefferson and josh smith worth that much more than him?).
abeer3

Postby JSM on Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:18 am

Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo now
Thunder G Kevin Martin expected to get interest from OKC, Milwaukee, New Orleans, Minnesota, Dallas and Detroit, source tells Y! Sports.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Kevin Martin Won't 'Have To Chase Money' In Free Agency

Postby Kobe8Fan on Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:55 pm

Kevin Martin Won't 'Have To Chase Money' In Free Agency

Kevin Martin has thoroughly enjoyed his first season with the Oklahoma City Thunder and has stated repeatedly he believes the organization is a good fit for him moving forward.

In his ninth season, Martin does not believe money will play as big of a factor as in the past when he enters free agency this offseason.

"My perception would be happiness and a good fit basketball-wise," Martin said. "I'm in a situation that after nine years I don't have to chase money. So I think that part goes into a lot of guys' minds when it happens. But for me, I found a new happiness here when I got traded here. It feels like a good fit. But we'll see when it comes around.

"I think that's where it just comes down to, what would you be happy with? And I love being a major piece on a championship-caliber team. I'm enjoying the ride.

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-thunder ... le/3771027
Kobe8Fan

Postby Kobe8Fan on Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:57 pm

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 2m

Free agent Kevin Martin has reached agreement on a four year, $28 million deal with Minnesota, league source tells Y! Sports.

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/ ... 1023433728

Well, i'm shocked.
Kobe8Fan

Re: Kevin Martin Agrees To 4 Year Deal 28 Mill With Timberwolves

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:04 pm

OKC will be feeling the effects of that Harden trade for awhile.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:22 pm

Ouch to the Thunder.

So they gave up Harden for what exactly?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:28 pm

therealdeal wrote:Ouch to the Thunder.

So they gave up Harden for what exactly?

Well the trade was Kevin Martin, Jeremy Lamb and 2 1st round picks. So now it looks like....

Jeremy Lamb, Steven Adams (Draft pick this season), Future 1st top 20 protected

Yikes.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:29 pm

Great move... and now Harden by himself is wooing Howard and how are Ibaka and Perkins doing?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:33 pm

OKC losing Martin is huge hes a very valuable scorer off the bench helping out Durant/Westbrook. If its just Durant/Westbrook with a bunch of no name players/incompetent scorers then they wont advance very far

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby retro_nights on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:55 pm

OKC could have had 3 top 10 players on their team.

I'm not complaining about their mistake.
---
Team lakers
retro_nights

Postby GNC on Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:56 pm

was beyond stupid at the time and now it looks even worse with Martin going to Minny.
GNC

Postby Steve on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:01 pm

OKC screwed up he royally, depending on what we do, the West is wiiiiiiide open
Steve

Postby 432J on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:05 pm

martin was a bigtime scorer off the bench

i don't see OKC doing much if it's just durant and ninja turtle. they need that spark off the bench like they had in harden and martin
432J

Postby charvin on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:21 pm

They wern't willing to give Harden a "max" deal last year, I can understand that. Martin, with this new deal was affordable, yet they still wern't going to re-sign him.

Wow.
charvin

Postby JSM on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:50 pm

Nice to see OKC take another uppercut to the face. Now who's going to replace Kevin's production?

And Wolves could be pretty decent if they can ever stay healthy for an entire season.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:25 pm

OKC is doing everything to lose KD in 2016 ... if he doesn't win a title before his current contract ends ( 3 seasons left) , he's gone
wcsoldier81

Postby juninho on Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:56 am

Trade Shved and Ridnour for Gortat.

Rubio/Barea
Martin/Shabazz
Kirilenko/Budinger
Love/Willams
Pekovic/Gortat

Real good roster...
juninho

Postby karacha on Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:07 am

OKC is in trouble.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby escobar8 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:16 am

He is exactly what min was mising, natural scorer...not a bad deal 7mil per year
he would be good back up SG for us for that price...
if okc doesnt sign someone ala jr smith they are in trouble...
escobar8

Postby Frank Dux on Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:29 am

Doc Brown wrote:OKC will be feeling the effects of that Harden trade for awhile.

That awful trade probably cost them a title, and even worse, Durant will probably want out soon.
Frank Dux

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:30 am

Frank Dux wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:OKC will be feeling the effects of that Harden trade for awhile.

That awful trade probably cost them a title, and even worse, Durant will probably want out soon.

I don't know about soon, but like another member said if he hasn't won anything in the next 3 years he's probably gone.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Next

Return to NBA Discussion