Kings are going to retire a former Lakers #

Kings are going to retire a former Lakers #

Postby JSM on Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:02 pm

This is perhaps the funniest story I have ever heard. Mitch Richmond will have his jersey retired on December 5th.

How he is getting his jersey retired completely boggles me, did they not see him play for us, well that's because he was on the bench or the IR the whole time, but he doesn't deserve to have his number retired.

Here's the article
The Sacramento Bee: Peja Stojakovic was a 19-year old Serbian playing professional basketball in Greece and quickly learned what Sacramento Kings basketball was about when he was drafted in 1996.

"When I got drafted," Stojakovic said Saturday as his team prepared to meet the Chicago Bulls tonight, "this team was all about Mitch. I was looking forward to play with him.

"I realized how great he was. I don't know how many times he was an All-Star, but I know he had a great career and also he won the ring, at the end of his career with the Los Angeles Lakers."

Richmond, whose No. 2 Kings jersey will be retired Dec. 5

And on Dec. 5, Richmond's tireless efforts and prolific accomplishments will be recognized by the Kings. The ceremony on "Mitch Richmond Day" will be conducted during halftime of the nationally televised Kings-Minnesota Timberwolves game.

Richmond said Saturday he had many emotions when Kings president Geoff Petrie called to inform him of the honor.

"I was definitely excited, overjoyed, and, yes, you could say surprised," he said. "Geoff and I had gone through a (contract) situation where we didn't see eye to eye. But I think we both always respected each other. And things happen when you're a player. Since he was there once, I think he understood that."

"I think that was my best memory of being in Sacramento," he said. "Making the playoffs. We had a good record going into the All-Star break, and we were playing well. Then we had a slump (11 straight losses and 16 of 17) to scare everybody. But then we had to win some games, especially one in Denver, and we did."

"He was a great player," Adelman said of Richmond, who retired after the 2001-02 season and now is scouting and doing player development with the Warriors. "He was one of those guys who could hurt you so many ways. He was a great shooter and a smart player who could post you up.

"Early in his career, especially before he had to take over the whole load offensively, I thought he was a very good defender when he had to play certain people, because he had good size and quickness. When he was here, he was the guy, and he was all you talked about because he was such a threat.

"I think having his number retired is well-deserved. They didn't have a lot of good teams here, but he had a heck of a run."
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby BDG on Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:04 pm

The only reason a King wins a ring is if he's on the Lakers.

If you can't beat em, join em.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby shaqpak34 on Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:06 pm

HAHAHAA YA

but u gotta admit..there was no rivalry back then and he WAS a hella good playa....i remember a game against the bulls in which he outscored MJ and i was like WHOA :man4:

ever since, ive liked him or respected him
shaqpak34

Postby Guest on Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:56 pm

Mitch Richmond can be retired by many teams. He played great for every team except the Lakers.

He played for the Kings for like 5 years and they sucked. Shows you how desperate they are.

Postby mv_ix on Mon Nov 24, 2003 5:40 pm

no mitch "rock" richmond was kinda old when he played w the lakers but he did provide some mature stability and if yall remeber, did do well in the little time he got to play ( very little).. he is getting his number retired by the kings besause he was the bomb when he played w them. he was unstoppable in his prime... some may be too young to know... also should probably get the number retired by the golden state warriors, was part of RUN TMC, tim hardaway, mitch richmond, chris mullins, that was a hell of a team.
mv_ix

Postby 2BContN2004 on Tue Nov 25, 2003 3:04 pm

The reason "The Rocks" jersey is being retired is because the Kings have not retired a Jersey from the Kings Sacramento Era. They needed someone and Mitch was the best they had before CWebb came around.

But if it was up to Kings fans, every single player to ever wear a Kings jersey is the best of all time and belongs in the Hall of Fame and his jersey retired.
2BContN2004

Postby Kobe834 on Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:53 pm

That's cool. Mitch is a great player. :jam2: :bow:
Kobe834

Return to NBA Discussion