Kings / Houston / Phoenix Trade

Kings / Houston / Phoenix Trade

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:12 pm

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
Along with a second-round pick, the Kings will send Francisco Garcia and Tyler Honeycutt to the Rockets, sources tell Y!
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

10 mins Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
The Rockets will send Patrick Patterson, Cole Aldrich and Toney Douglas to the Kings for Thomas Robinson, sources tell Y!
Expand
14 mins Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

The Houston Rockets have traded Marcus Morris to the Phoenix Suns for a future second-round draft pick, league sources tell Y! Sports.
Expand

Wow the Kings gave up on Thomas Robinson real fast. But PP is better at this point, so I can't fault them.

I think Houston got worse, which is good for us.

Phoenix gets the Morris/Morris brother connection. :man10:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Re: Kings / Houston / Phoenix Trade

Postby Aonex on Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:20 pm

Lol, yeah that's cool getting the twins together.
In the real world, the day Steph awoke at 9 a.m. to begin his Ustream show, Kobe Bryant probably awoke at the same time, even if it was 6 a.m. in California, and lifted weights.
Aonex

Postby Aonex on Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:22 pm

Speaking of which, does this mean Houston doesn't care about making the playoffs this year?
In the real world, the day Steph awoke at 9 a.m. to begin his Ustream show, Kobe Bryant probably awoke at the same time, even if it was 6 a.m. in California, and lifted weights.
Aonex

Postby sharko on Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:35 pm

BLOCKBUSTER
sharko

Postby 432J on Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:54 pm

wow i'm shocked the kings dealt robinson already
432J

Postby abeer3 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:23 pm

i thought robinson would have immediate impact. i was wrong. that doesn't mean he's finished, though.

still, patterson was actually a big part of what they were doing offensively (stretch four). i wonder how this will affect things in that regard.
abeer3

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:33 pm

:man3:

Yay for Houston getting worse... Why give up on Patterson after all?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby noobiew on Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:28 pm

What ? King gave up a top 5 pick Thomas Robinson in his first rookie year to Houston for Patrick Patterson and two scrubs ? !!! :man4:

The King never amaze me, Mitch hurry up and make a call to Sacramento for Tyreke Evans before they wake up, maybe a package of Ebanks and Blake could get it done. :man1:
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby Finwë on Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:28 pm

Meh, I don't think the trade is going to have any real impact on Houston (or any of the other teams involved). Morris and Garcia are both shooters, so it's not like much is changing there, and Patterson isn't that good, Robinson is a similar player in terms of value. The picks are all 2nd round..
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby FabFourLakers on Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:33 pm

Finwë wrote:Meh, I don't think the trade is going to have any real impact on Houston (or any of the other teams involved). Morris and Garcia are both shooters, so it's not like much is changing there, and Patterson isn't that good, Robinson is a similar player in terms of value. The picks are all 2nd round..

The Rockets TRADED Morris....he's no longer on the Rockets...so they traded BOTH stretch 4s (patterson and morris) and brought in Robinson, who is NOT a stretch 4....and he's not going to make an impact on the Rockets THIS year...but he'll def be better than both patterson and morris in the long run....garcia is nice, honeycutt is useless...but the Rockets definitely get worse in the short term, which is great for us. The Kings? I have no idea why they did this deal...Patrick Patterson is solid but they are already headed for the lotto....why give up on the #5 pick? I dunno...this deal is a head scratcher for the Kings....

As cool as it is for the Suns to have the Morris twins...i THINK they're trying to get Josh Smith...and one of those two could be gone by tomorrow...i hope in their case that they're either dealt together in a Smith package or not dealt at all...pretty cool that the twins are on the same team again....
FabFourLakers

Postby thkthebest on Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:34 pm

therealdeal wrote::man3:

Yay for Houston getting worse... Why give up on Patterson after all?

Because Patterson isn't anybody special. The Rockets as currently constructed isn't going anywhere. Now, they have a top 5 pick rookie and extra cap space. I think it's a good trade for the Rockets even though Thomas Robinson has sucked so far.
thkthebest

Postby abeer3 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:10 pm

yeah, houston did shave a couple million off the cap for the summer. which probably enables them to make dwight a max offer.
abeer3

Postby juninho on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:30 am

well this moves are dumb if they want d12 in summer. They wont have any stretch 4s. Robinson-D12 isn't a good fit. Even they dont think abt d12 robinson-asik doesnt fit well too.
juninho

Postby Finwë on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:39 am

FabFourLakers wrote:
Finwë wrote:Meh, I don't think the trade is going to have any real impact on Houston (or any of the other teams involved). Morris and Garcia are both shooters, so it's not like much is changing there, and Patterson isn't that good, Robinson is a similar player in terms of value. The picks are all 2nd round..

The Rockets TRADED Morris....he's no longer on the Rockets...so they traded BOTH stretch 4s (patterson and morris) and brought in Robinson, who is NOT a stretch 4....and he's not going to make an impact on the Rockets THIS year...but he'll def be better than both patterson and morris in the long run....garcia is nice, honeycutt is useless...but the Rockets definitely get worse in the short term, which is great for us. The Kings? I have no idea why they did this deal...Patrick Patterson is solid but they are already headed for the lotto....why give up on the #5 pick? I dunno...this deal is a head scratcher for the Kings....

As cool as it is for the Suns to have the Morris twins...i THINK they're trying to get Josh Smith...and one of those two could be gone by tomorrow...i hope in their case that they're either dealt together in a Smith package or not dealt at all...pretty cool that the twins are on the same team again....

Yeah I got that, I meant, they trade one shooter (Morris) and bring back another (Garcia). Granted, Morris is a bit bigger and can play the 4 a little, but he's NOT a real PF , it's not like they are losing a lot.

Houston isn't winning THIS year, and they know that. However, they do see potential in their young roster. Robinson is just another piece that has potential, a high upside. He was stuck in a bad situation in Sacramento, and he wasn't really given a chance. It's a good gamble by HOU.
As for short term success, I still don't think it changes much. They were never a good defensive team, they win with scoring, and I don't think they've lost any. None of the players traded or traded for are difference makers. They'll still rely on Harden, they'll still rely on hitting 3s, they'll still rely on Asik being their only good defender / rebounder.

I don't think PHO will get Smith.

I don't get Sacramento's thinking either. Patterson won't change the fact that they are a lottery team, at least gamble on Robinson becoming a very good big man...
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby abeer3 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:24 am

i know people think sac is stupid, but aren't you willing to entertain the notion that they have had the best look at robinson and decided that he's not going to be very good? i mean, these are professionals, kings or not.

and robinson's been bad there. not "underperforming for a 3rd pick", but simply bad. i just don't see why people are fawning over the deal for houston. i think the main benefit is they got a couple extra million to throw at dwight.

as for fit, my guess is their plan a is to sign dwight and trade asik for a better fitting piece while his value is sky-high (read: before they get gortated like orlando did).

anyway, don't get me wrong: i though robinson was going to be a good pro when he came out. but i've seen no evidence since then to indicate as much. his game just hasn't translated, and i think it's because he relied on his unique combination of size and athleticism to produce in college, but that's all relative. he is not uniquely large or athletic by nba standards.
abeer3

Postby gcclaker on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:58 pm

Bill Simmons was practically creaming on himself describing how the Rockets "fleeced" Sacramento for Robinson. He used the term three times too.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:50 pm

yeah, i don't get it. they supposedly "fleeced" the knicks a few years back, and that netted bupkus. you can't declare winners and losers on the day of a trade. maybe houston's right and robinson is a star waiting to shine who was held down by sac's toxic environment. maybe sac's right and robinson was a total bust of a lotto pick whom they traded before his value plummeted even further. the truth is probably somewhere in between, but why people automatically give houston credit is beyond me. they've had as many misses as hits in recent years.

NUMBERZ.
abeer3

Postby JSM on Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:59 pm

Giving up on a rookie big, who historically take a few years to get their ducks in a row, is certainly very surprising.

Kings might know something we don't or they are poor talent evaluators...either way, they're still irrelevant.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:56 am

And the reason comes out and it makes sense....

Patrick Patterson says that when the Kings first acquired him from the Rockets, they said nothing about being a
calming influence on fellow Kentucky and troubled man-child DeMarcus Cousins. That has changed. "They've brought it to my attention that 'one of the reasons we have you here is for DeMarcus,'" Patterson said. He told me this as Cousins hustled around the lockerroom after the Kings' grinding last-second 87-83 loss to the Warriors. Cousins, having played 20 minimally effective minutes, was demonstrating that he could've done more by offering food and drinks to everyone and anyone in the lockerroom, reporters and teammates alike. It's as bizarre as it sounds -- inviting reporters to take part in the team buffet, retrieving a bottle of Gatorade for a columnist, offering a forkful of his mashed potatoes to a cameraman. Patterson, who accepted Cousins' invitation to fill a take-out container of soul food for him, took it in stride. "If he's making plates, we're headed in the right direction," Patterson said. about 6 hours ago
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:57 pm

What a strange thing. I wouldn't trade away talent to placate an idiot. But I suppose that's why we're the Lakers. If we wanted to, we could have traded away talent to get Smith to placate Howard. They were willing to take on Crowder, Dahntay Jones, and Brendan Wright with some picks for Smith. We could have come up with a similar trade if we wanted to.

Instead the Kings lose young talent just to give their big man a helping hand... A big man who's done nothing in this league to warrant that kind of reward.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:21 pm

i'll refer to my earlier post: has anyone considered that they thought patterson was more talented than robinson? i think some blogger had a good piece on this recently, in which he showed how underwhelming robinson has been and that his performance didn't seem to indicate a great growth trajectory, either. remember, one reason to draft him was that he was supposedly ready to contribute.

he may top out as a player of patterson's caliber: borderline starter, solid third big. in which case, i don't see how it's a big loss. patterson can hit threes, too, which makes him a much better fit next to cousins.
abeer3

Postby The Rock on Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:46 pm

Robinson reminds me of Tyrus Thomas/Stromile Swift those dudes had like 1-2 fantastic years and then everything went south. Rockets GM takes chances on these underwhelming draft picks and it hasn't panned out for him in recent years...Thabeet, Terrance Williams, Jordan Hill

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Return to NBA Discussion