Kings Offer Iggy $56m/4 years (p. 3)

Kings Offer Iggy $56m/4 years (p. 3)

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:56 am

Andre Iguodala Hoping To Stay With Nuggets Long-Term

By Christopher Dempsey
The Denver Post

It’s halfway through the season and it looks like things are crystallizing in Nuggets’ guard Andre Iguodala’s head concerning his opt-out decision at the end of the season.

Though he did not say it specifically it appears he’s leaning toward staying with the Nuggets long term, but here’s how: By opting out of his current contract, which would pay him roughly $16.2 million next season and signing a new, multiyear deal – even if the annual value of the contract comes out to be less than what he’s making now and scheduled to make next season.

“A lot of players have done it where they’ve gave up a large bulk of their contract, say, giving up $16 million to get $60 million,” said Iguodala, who turns 29 years old on Monday. “In the grand scheme of things that makes sense. But if you give up $16 million and you get $20 million (it doesn’t make sense). So it’s all about playing your cards right and seeing where you’re at. At the end of the day winning takes care of everything, so if we win here, then hopefully the organization and myself will come to an agreement and we’ll continue to build on what we have here.”

A player opting out of a lucrative final year isn’t unprecedented. In fact, the Nuggets recently went through just such a scenario when Nene opted out of his following the 2011 season, forgoing a final year worth $12 million. Now, Nene was able to parlay his unrestricted free agent status into getting a contract worth $13 million per year, so it was a net gain for him.

It’s unlikely Iguodala would make more annually than the $16.2 million he’d pass up, but his contract would probably not be anything smaller than Ty Lawson’s contract extension, which starting next season pays him an average of $12 million annually. And the savings of a new contract worth less per year would help the Nuggets, who could be up against the luxury tax threshold next season and would need to find some economic breathing room.

Iguodala’s contract status is one of the season’s biggest storylines for the Nuggets, and it will spill over into the summer. But increasingly it looks like the Nuggets are taking center stage in his mind.

“It’s not as hard as it seems,” Iguodala said. “It’s basically just weighing your options, seeing who has interest in you, or making a guesstimate on who has interest in you or what your value is at the current time. That’s pretty much it.”

Follow Chris Dempsey on Twitter @dempseypost or email him at cdempsey@denverpost.com

http://blogs.denverpost.com/nuggets/201 ... ngs+Nugget
Last edited by Kobe8Fan on Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kobe8Fan

Andre Iguodala Expected To Opt Out Of $16M Deal For 13-14 (P

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:43 pm

Andre Iguodala Likely To Opt Out Of Contract With Nuggets

By Chris Tomasson
March 30, 2013, 7:11pm

DENVER — Andre Iguodala is certain of one thing. He wants to represent Team USA again in both the World Cup and the Olympics.

The Denver forward is getting more sure about another thing: Opting out of his contract this summer and signing a long-term deal, possibly with the Nuggets or possibly somewhere else.

Iguodala won gold with Team USA in the 2010 World Cup in Turkey, when it was known as the World Championships, and in the Olympics last summer in London. When the Americans were coming off a 2008 Olympic gold medal in Beijing, none of the players on that team wanted to return for the World Cup.

But Iguodala wants to be involved with as much Team USA basketball as possible.

“I would really like to do both,’’ Iguodala said in an interview with FOX Sports Florida about the 2014 World Cup in Spain and the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro. “I had a great time (with USA Basketball in previous events). It’s been one of the best basketball experiences of my life, just being around those guys, having fun and enjoying the game of basketball.’’

USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo recently told FOX Sports Florida there are players from the 2012 Olympic team who want to compete in Spain, although he wouldn’t elaborate.

“I think he knows,’’ Iguodala said of Colangelo being aware of his interest. “He talks to my agent (Rob Pelinka), so I think he knows.’’

As for Iguodala’s NBA future, he doesn’t know where he’ll be playing. But Iguodala, a nine-year veteran who is averaging 12.7 points, 5.1 rebounds and 5.1 assists and is Denver’s perimeter stopper, indicated it’s more likely now he will opt out of his contract by July 1 to sign a long-term deal.

Iguodala is on the books to make $15.9 million next season, likely more than he could get from any team for 2013-14. But he could become a free agent and then sign a multi-year deal that would pay less next season but would provide long-term security.

“Yeah, definitely,’’ Iguodala, 29, said of that being a distinct possibility. “You got to weigh options. Security-wise, a player would opt out, especially with the type of season we’ve had as a team. Teams know what I can bring to them, and I know (the Nuggets) know what I can bring to a team here.

“Players get like $50, $60 or $70 or $80 (million over multiple years), whatever the number was, they gave up a big number (in an option season by opting out). But in the grand scheme of things, pretty much get it back. You got security.’’

Iguodala said it’s no guarantee he would re-sign with Denver if he does the expected and opts out. But he has liked the progress the Nuggets (50-24) have made recently, which has included a 15-game winning streak that ended last Monday.

“My main goal is, if we win here, everything will take care of itself, no matter what,’’ Iguodala said. “I want to play for a team where I have an impact on the game without even scoring ... I feel like if I win (with the Nuggets), I won’t have to worry about having to prove my worth.

“Obviously, it’s a business, so you’re going to look at your options. Here we have some good (prospects). But I’m not making any promises. But I’ve liked the last month and a half, two months, three months or however long (that Denver has been on a roll). It’s important for the future, so I’m just trying to win.’’

So stay tuned to see which team Iguodala might be representing in a future USA Basketball event. And also what team he might finish it with.

Iguodala began the 2012 Olympics with the Philadelphia 76ers. Just before the semifinals, he was traded to the Nuggets.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/nuggets/201 ... ngs+Nugget
Last edited by Kobe8Fan on Sat May 04, 2013 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kobe8Fan

Re: Andre Iguodala Likely To Opt Out Of Contract With Nuggets

Postby Tobias Funke on Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:56 pm

How much is he worth?
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby abeer3 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:12 am

he'll get a ton, imo. he's a very versatile defender, one of the best perimeter defenders in the nba for several years running. his offense leaves something to be desired, but he moves off the ball well and can make plays going to the basket. he's looking at a minimum of 11-12 per for 4 years if he opts out, i think.
abeer3

Postby FabFourLakers on Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:13 am

abeer3 wrote:he'll get a ton, imo. he's a very versatile defender, one of the best perimeter defenders in the nba for several years running. his offense leaves something to be desired, but he moves off the ball well and can make plays going to the basket. he's looking at a minimum of 11-12 per for 4 years if he opts out, i think.

Yup at the very least, he will get "Richard Jefferson" money....still don't knwo why the Spurs gave him that contract...but at least they were able to get out of it pretty quickly....

I think a fair deal would be 4 yrs, 44M...anything more than that....like 4 yrs 60M...would be a HUGE mistake and severely overpaying. Although I hope they overpay him
FabFourLakers

Postby therealdeal on Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:36 am

4/44 is perfect for him at his age.

He won't be this athletic forever and much of his game is dependent on it. He's going to be looking at 30 soon. his shaky jump shot and fading athleticism at 32 is going to suck at 11 million dollars anyway. Any more than that and you're going to regret it.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:05 pm

Yeah, even that might be a stretch. If I were the Nuggs I'd do $36/4 front loaded. He'll basically be 34 going into that season, definitely not worth $11M. I'd pay Lawson, Gallo and Faried over him.

$10M, $12M, $7M, $7M

He strikes me as the T-Mac type, as in won't be so effective once age picks up.
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:54 pm

I'm still on the fence about Gallinari. One way player, injured fairly often, not terribly athletic... I wouldn't break the bank for him.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby FabFourLakers on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:49 pm

therealdeal wrote:I'm still on the fence about Gallinari. One way player, injured fairly often, not terribly athletic... I wouldn't break the bank for him.

They already signed him to an extension i think...4 yr deal I can't remember the numbers....but with Gallo, Lawson, Faried (still needs to get paid), McGee, and Chandler all on the books....it wouldn't be smart to overpay Iggy at this point...but if they go far in the playoffs? I could see them doing it. But they already got 72M on the books for next year and they haven't signed Faried yet...they won't be able to keep everyone...much like OKC couldn't keep James Harden.
FabFourLakers

Postby therealdeal on Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:55 am

^ They'll likely dump Chandler then. He's at something like 7 million per for the next 3 years. Of all the pieces named, he's the weak link.

And by the way I'd scoop him up in an instant. :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:57 am

Is he free this summer or can we make a trade?
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:10 am

Chandler is guaranteed through 2014/2015 at just under 7 million a year. He's also got one more year but it's only partially guaranteed at 2 million for 2015/2016.

Javale is guaranteed through 2016 at 11 million per year.

Gallinari is guaranteed through 2016 at just over 10 million per year.

Ty Lawson is guaranteed through 2017 at about 12 million per year.

And Andre Miller is making 5 million next season (partially guaranteed 4.7 in 2014/15)

They have to pay Brewer and Movgov this summer if they want to keep them. They'll be sitting at roughly 80 million next year.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:27 am

So we'd have to trade for Chandler. They could take MWP because he expires at the end of the year?
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:35 am

I suppose, but that'd be a pretty big stretch for them to want Metta. No one else really wants Metta at this point.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:42 am

If they did, it would be only because he expires. We'd probably have to throw in a pick that we don't have
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:42 pm

There's very little hope of trading Artest honestly... Our best bet would be to trade Gasol somewhere. He's still 7 feet tall and has some offensive prowess. If you put a Kevin Love next to him for instance, he'd look good offensively (although they'd be horrid defensively).

Artest has so little value though. He's still a good defender, not a great one, but his offense is some of the worst I've ever seen from anyone at the professional level.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:49 pm

back to iggy: as realdeal outlined above, they have some serious salary committed to a non-contender. i wonder if they'll be able to keep iguodala, even at a semi-reasonable price.
abeer3

Postby therealdeal on Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:52 pm

abeer3 wrote:back to iggy
Good idea :man10:
abeer3 wrote:: as realdeal outlined above, they have some serious salary committed to a non-contender. i wonder if they'll be able to keep iguodala, even at a semi-reasonable price.

I'm almost sure they'll hold onto him. If I were them I'd trade Gallinari and Chandler before letting Andre go.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:57 pm

you'd have to find takers, though. i think chandler's not a special player, and gallo is also meh-worthy much of the time. you have to convince a team with cap space to take them on instead of just outbidding you for iguodala. we'll see.

larger point is that denver has probably peaked as a team due to the restrictions they'll face going forward.
abeer3

Postby therealdeal on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:10 pm

Chandler is right now exactly what he'll always be, but there's value in that. He's athletic, an okay defender, can shoot outside, and makes good decisions. I'd love him on this team if there was a way to pull that off.

Gallo I agree. Good luck finding takers at this point. He can score for you a little, but he's not a good defender, he's only reasonably athletic, and he's pretty prone to injury.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:57 pm

the question is: is the flexibility you give up worth that production? in other words, if i have cap space, would i use 7 million of it on chandler? i don't know about that. his contract is the kind that the new cba is probably going to eventually squeeze out, imo. it's hard to sell a fanbase on wilson chandler as the result of your cap flexibility.
abeer3

Postby therealdeal on Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:07 pm

I agree, but that's why I'm saying a place like LA or NY is ideal for him: big market with big money that can use a player like him. Imagine if we had Chandler instead of Artest. Or even playing behind Artest.

And yes, those middle of the pack contracts are a thing of the past thanks to the new CBA.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:34 pm

right, but la and ny want him at MLE or less. that contract looks less appealing when you're orlando or philadelphia.

i think they'd have to attach something to him (1st rounder) to get all of his salary off the books.

the irony is that, imo, the new cba was supposed to create more contracts like chandler's, right? just not for chandler--instead, guys like iggy were supposed to see their salaries drop. there were supposed to be fewer non-max guys getting max. but owners can't help themselves. they get a semi-star and want to overpay him.
abeer3

Postby therealdeal on Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:58 pm

Well the problem is smaller markets tend to overvalue their players. Guys like Rudy Gay and Andre Iguodala aren't really worth the max, but they'll get it. Same with players like Aaron Afflalo and Wilson Chandler.

So yes the new CBA was supposed to create more parity not only across the macro, but within each city as well. But when you have markets like Charlotte and like Milwaukee and like Denver that get "okay" players and think they're stars, they tend to pay them like that. Well then what happens? The middle class fades away because there's only money for big guys. Instead of shortening the gap, they widened it by a good margin.

The good-not-great players will still get great money. The alright-not-special players will have to settle for a lot less.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:17 pm

right. to make hay in the current nba, you still need most of your cash funneled to superstars--just the right ones. and the best front offices are the ones who can nab the productive veterans who have to scrap for mini MLE. unfortunately, those guys will play for even less to contend (see allen, ray), so the small markets are shut out again. they're left to a bidding war for second and third tier players like paul millsap and josh smith, who will get near max dollars because, well, you've gotta fill out the roster and sell tickets (see, villanueva, charlie, and gordon, ben).
abeer3

Next

Return to NBA Discussion