Knicks want Mutumbo and are still eyeing Van Exel

Knicks want Mutumbo and are still eyeing Van Exel

Postby Vasashi17 on Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:36 pm

Then New York Post reports:
The Knicks, say sources, are prepared to sign Dikembe Mutombo when he clears waivers 48 hours after the Nets release him. Having spent $900,000 of their $4.9M mid-level exception to free up second-round pick Maclej Lampe, Camp Cablevision is expected to bestow two-plus years guaranteed on Deke to compensate him for what he gives up ($10M) in his Nets settlement.
As reported earlier this week, Mutombo would rather return to Philly, where his family still lives. Yet, those in the know say the 76ers, guided by economics ($4.9M would put them into luxury-tax danger) and positive vibes about their current frontline, aren't interested in renewing acquaintances.

Mutombo retains comparable sentiments concerning the Raptors, Pacers and Mavericks, who've all expressed interest; they're too far away from home. His position is subject to change without warning, of course, should one of those teams ante up three full years at $4.9M.

Should the Knicks snare Mutombo, look for Scott Layden to acquire Nick Van Exel ($11.9M) for Kurt Thomas ($5.445M), Charlie Ward ($6.08M) and cash (to help offset the point guard's 15 percent trade kicker) to the Warriors, who almost certainly would exercise his $2M buyout.

I think Van Exel wants his name in big bright lights and what better way to do it then in New York's big market. I feel bad for Golden State, but Kurt Thomas will surely fill the void left behing by Jamison and Charlie Ward is a reliable enough PG. Plus, why would GS want a disgruntled Van Exel.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby GaNgStA on Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:01 pm

thats kinda messed up why did they even take van exel off mavs he was a great 3 point shooter the guy they had to take out was steve nash not van exel
GaNgStA

Postby FabFourLakers on Tue Oct 07, 2003 4:49 pm

wow the knicks would be a power house in the east if they got Mutumbo and Van Exel! Look at this lineup assuming Mcdyess is healthy!:

Mutumbo
Mcdyess
Van Horn
Houston
Van Exel

WOW are f'n kidding me....

but my sources are sayin Van Exel doesnt mind stayin in GS, but who knows? We all know Van Exel REALLY doesnt wanna be in GS!
FabFourLakers

Postby rydjorker121 on Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:22 pm

Charlie Ward is the most inconsistent point guard ever...

coming from a Knicks expert
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby smilez on Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:07 am

The Knicks would be good with that lineup.
smilez

Return to NBA Discussion