Kyrie Irving Thread: Why is he so freaking good?

Kyrie Irving Thread: Why is he so freaking good?

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:20 pm

He's really good and he's only all but 20. I can't wait to see him in the future, him and Derrick Rose, Durant, and others taking over the NBA. Sure the NBA won't be the same but at least we have those guys to look forward to.
Jazzygirl205

Re: Why is Kyrie so freaking good?

Postby KJ MonK on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:04 am

Id take Kyrie over Rose TBH... he's the real deal, can shoot the rock and has that killer instinct as well... soooo clutch and it never makes it to national TV, definitely a must-see on the League Pass package
should turn this into the Kyrie discussion thread

p.s. what happened to Toya lol
@KJ_MonK

“Some time ago, talking to some people, they wanted a bonus if the Lakers made the playoffs. I said, `Bonus? If we don’t make the playoffs, you don’t work here anymore.”’
- Jerry Buss
"I know I can score 20 or 30 points anytime I want," Vujacic said.
KJ MonK

Re: Why is Kyrie so freaking good?

Postby therealdeal on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:26 pm

^ Good idea.

Kyrie in my opinion has better longevity than Rose. Rose literally used his body to do things that a body shouldn't be doing. The way he moved and jumped... your joints aren't supposed to do that which is why his knee said "no".

Kyrie is less about that, even though he's also VERY athletic. I'm very excited to see him develop... into a Laker.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Re: Kyrie Irving Thread: Why is he so freaking good?

Postby LakerFanIam on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:50 pm

Kyrie is the future....
LakerFanIam

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:10 pm

How awesome would it be to screw Gilbert back and take his great point guard in free agency, after he cried to Stern and was a big part of getting our legitimate Chris Paul trade rescinded? Do it Mitch! First though, Mitch YOU have to resign with us this summer. :jam2: :jam2:
LTLakerFan

Postby KJ MonK on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:21 pm

Are Love, Durant, Irving, Paul the only elite players that have a real shooting touch? (can't throw Kobe in with his current 3pt woes)
@KJ_MonK

“Some time ago, talking to some people, they wanted a bonus if the Lakers made the playoffs. I said, `Bonus? If we don’t make the playoffs, you don’t work here anymore.”’
- Jerry Buss
"I know I can score 20 or 30 points anytime I want," Vujacic said.
KJ MonK

Postby karacha on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:38 pm

Talent, athleticism, hard work... that will take you far. He doesn't jump extremely high, but he's fast, crafty and can really take care of the ball. Just an amazing talent. He has to work on defense though and maybe gain some muscle mass if it won't hurt his shooting touch.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:17 pm

I want Kyrie in 2015

someone photoshop him in a Laker jersey :jam2:
Chillbongo

Postby John3:16 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:14 pm

Jamie Foxx wrote:He's the most talented.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:04 pm

Kyrie is special. He has good very good fundamentals, is a great shooter, has great handles, and is a good finisher around the rim. Defensively, he has sound technique when he wants, too. He's 20 years old & already averaging 23 a game.

He has a killer mentality. I was watching the game against the Hornets; although, the Hornets aren't great defensively, he flat out took over that 4th. He sensed the game was close & he finished it. I'm telling you surrounded by the right players & organization he has a chance to be a champion.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby thkthebest on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:14 pm

KJ MonK wrote:Are Love, Durant, Irving, Paul the only elite players that have a real shooting touch? (can't throw Kobe in with his current 3pt woes)

Shooting touch as in great shooter? Because Love is only a good 3pt shooter. The other 3 are deadly from anywhere.

Anyway, Stephen Curry is a great shooter (not elite player though) and Carmelo is also pretty good.
thkthebest

Postby JSM on Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:47 pm

Looks like he's joining Team USA (can't see him not making the cut)

Jason Lloyd of the Akron Beacon Journal wrote:: He had the opportunity to be an Olympian last year, but Kyrie Irving passed on playing for Australia to preserve his chance of playing for Team USA in the future. In a few weeks, he’ll get a little closer.

Irving will be one of about two dozen players invited to Las Vegas at the end of July in preparation for the 2014 FIBA World Cup team (formerly known as the FIBA World Championship). No invitations have been formally extended yet, but USA Basketball Chairman Jerry Colangelo confirmed in a phone interview on Saturday that Irving will be among those invited.

“You can be assured that he’ll be one of the invitees,” Colangelo said. “He’s already established himself as one of the top three or four point guards in the league.”

The formal invitations will be extended after the season ends, but Irving secured his place with a dazzling performance for the U.S. Select team last summer in Las Vegas. He wowed Colangelo, Team USA coach (and his former college coach) Mike Krzyzewski and a number of Olympians who heaped praise on Irving for his confidence, ball-handling skills and ability to score against the best players in the world.

It has been a dizzying 12 months for Irving, beginning with his Rookie of the Year award, the popularity of his “Uncle Drew” character in the hit PepsiMax series, his success with the Select team in Las Vegas and most recently his 3-point championship and All-Star Game appearance.

“He’s done really well, he’s getting better and better,” Colangelo said. “He’s a great kid and he’s got a great foundation. I told him last summer that he figures prominently in our future.”

The invitation to the four-day camp this summer is the next step in that process. Colangelo wouldn’t go into specific players beyond Irving, but said the foundation of this summer’s player pool will be the majority of players chosen for the U.S. Select team last summer. That team was composed of Irving, DeJuan Blair, DeMarcus Cousins, DeMar DeRozan, Derrick Favors, Paul George, Taj Gibson, Gordon Hayward, Jrue Holiday, Kawhi Leonard, Lance Thomas, Klay Thompson and John Wall.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Frank Dux on Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:02 pm

How is he so good? It was pretty apparent from early on that Kyrie was going to be special. He was projected as a possible 40/50/90 shooter coming into the draft. He's one of best ball handlers in the league, he can get to the rim, create his own shot, and he's a decent playmaker(which I believe he'll improve upon). His biggest asset is his 'never back down' mentality. he's just a big time player, correct me if i'm wrong, but as a rookie he was the most clutch player in the NBA.

What's next for Kyrie? He needs to focus on his court vision/passing, and he needs to start playing defense. If the Cavs can put the right players around him, then watch out! I think he's the type of guy who will eventually lead his team to a championship. Right now he just needs a Gasol-esque second banana.
Frank Dux

Postby Maluco Beleza on Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:46 am

his handles are unbelievable
Maluco Beleza

Postby Weezy on Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:29 am

He's got that "it" factor, where he makes good things happen, where you give him the ball and you feel confident that he will make things happen. His shot is money, and his handles are maybe the best in the NBA.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:48 am

his jumper and handles are just ridiculous. He has a whole bunch of gamewinners already

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:57 am

Random facts of the day:

Kyrie was born in Australia. Grew up in Jersey.

His mother died when he was 4. He was raised by his father and aunts.
Chillbongo

Postby SK8 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:08 am

I love Kyrie, he is my favourite non-laker player in NBA.
and btw, will we ever going to see this 1 on 1 :man13:

The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby therealdeal on Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:50 pm

He hurt his shoulder today. The Cavs are considering shutting him down. He doesn't want to though.

He's really injury prone. Lots of small things that linger and he has to miss handfuls of games. Not good. He's got to get some more muscle on his frame.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:46 pm

therealdeal wrote:He hurt his shoulder today. The Cavs are considering shutting him down. He doesn't want to though.

He's really injury prone. Lots of small things that linger and he has to miss handfuls of games. Not good. He's got to get some more muscle on his frame.

He almost missed a lot of time at Duke while he was playing. As much as I love Kyrie, injuries are a concern with him...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby The Rock on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:23 am

The injuries are piling up

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Weezy on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 am

I guess the next question is 'why is he so freaking injury prone'. I want this guy to be a Laker one day, but not if this keeps up.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:43 am

WELP

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/team/1363027275-593-671/cleveland-cavaliers-kyrie-irving-out.html

All-Star point guard Kyrie Irving will miss three to four weeks with a sprained left shoulder after Cavaliers practice on Monday at Cleveland Clinic Courts.

Irving suffered a sprained AC (acromioclavicular) when he took a hip check from rookie Jonas Valanciunas with 2:04 left in the third quarter on Sunday in Toronto. X-rays taken in Toronto were negative, but Irving, who had to have help putting a sweatshirt over his head in Toronto after the game, was to have more tests today in Cleveland.

Irving, who broke a bone in his right hand during summer league, has missed 14 games this season, 11 with a fractured left index finger from Nov. 21 to Dec. 8 and three with a sore/hyperextended right knee from Feb. 26 to March 1. He did play through a fractured in his jaw bone in mid-December. He missed 14 games with injuries last season, 10 with a sprained right shoulder, 3 with a concussion and 1 when he was ill. He also sat out the last game of the season.

Irving, who played just 11 games in his only season at Duke because of a toe injury, has missed 29 of 129 games with the Cavs, who are 8-21 without him, including 4-10 this season.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:11 pm

Damn man. What a bummer....that's basically the season. He'll end up missing about 30/82 games this year.

Makes sense, he was playing at a ridiculous level and has no one to help him. Dude needs to recover and put in some work this summer so his body can handle the load.

Still a bummer...all good as long as he recovers and bulks up before signing with the Lakeshow in 2015 :jam2:
Chillbongo

Postby pound4pound1 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:52 pm

thanks, Kyrie...there goes my fantasy team...while i fight to get in the playoffs, they shut you down
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Next

Return to NBA Discussion