Lamar Dealing With Conditioning and Weight Issues

Lamar Dealing With Conditioning and Weight Issues

Postby Kobe8Fan on Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:10 am

By Broderick Turner

October 17, 2012, 10:50 p.m.
It really wasn't a surprise to see the Clippers play such an uneven exhibition game against the Utah Jazz on Wednesday night at Staples Center.

The Clippers spent last week in China playing two games against the Miami Heat, returning home Sunday afternoon after a 10-hour flight.

So, not only was the plan to limit minutes for his key players in their fourth exhibition game, but Clippers Coach Vinny Del Negro also held out Lamar Odom

and Grant Hill because

of nagging injuries and for rest.

The Clippers missed seven of their first eight shots, got down by 15 points and then took an 11-point fourth-quarter lead before winning an exciting game, 96-94, over the Jazz only after Randy Foye missed a potential game-winning three-pointer as time expired.

Jamal Crawford (18 points), one of the Clippers' top reserves acquired over the summer, scored the team's final six points. His three-point play broke a tie and gave the Clippers a 95-92 lead that barely stood.

Blake Griffin had 23 points in 29 minutes, DeAndre Jordan had 11 points and 16 rebounds in 28 minutes, and Chris Paul had nine assists and six points in 24 minutes.

"It's another opportunity for us to get better," Del Negro said. "It's another opportunity for us to build our chemistry."

For Odom, weight and poor conditioning are issues.

Del Negro said Odom's knees are bothering him and that playing the 6-10 forward against the Jazz probably would have set him back.

"He's got to work through some conditioning things and some health things right now, which he's doing," Del Negro said. "Yeah, I wish he was in a little bit better conditioning, and he wishes he was. But he's just got to continue to work every day and I'm sure he'll get there eventually."

On the positive side, guard Chauncey Billups' return from surgery to repair a left Achilles' tendon tear is moving ahead of schedule.

Billups has looked so good in practice and in Tuesday's scrimmage that the Clippers think he may return sometime in late November.

"He's been practicing," Del Negro said. "And now it's just a matter of when he feels ready. He'll know it."

The Clippers saw two old friends playing for the Jazz, former teammates Randy Foye and Mo Williams.

Foye (17 points) signed with the Jazz as a free agent, and Williams, who didn't play (groin injury), was traded to the Jazz for Odom.

"They did right by me," Williams said about the Clippers. "They put me in a situation they thought was good for me."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-cli ... 3577.story
Kobe8Fan

Re: Lamar Dealing With Conditioning and Weight Issues

Postby The Rock on Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:19 am

Hes gonna have a worse year than he did in Dallas. There isn't many minutes here for him behind Blake Griffin and he cant play C or SF

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Finwë on Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:23 am

No s***.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Tobias Funke on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:40 pm

We joked about it when his media day photos were posted, but when I watched one of the games they played in China, Lamar looked noticeably heavier than Ive ever seen him.

He needs to actually get his is together and actually put in some serious work to get back into proper shape, otherwise he's done. You can't use the preseason to get into same when you let yourself get that far gone, otherwise you'll wind up taking half the season to get where you need to be.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby therealdeal on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:31 pm

:man10: Duh. You can't put on that much weight and not feel it.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:33 pm

I think his mental issues are more important. His mental state is what's contributing to his physical issues. Ever since the summer of 2011 when those tragic events happened in New York, he's simply lost it.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby ZenMaster4President on Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:00 pm

I blame the Kardashians.
Pau Gasol yesterday morning when asked about Dwight Howard: "I haven't called. Calls are expensive."
ZenMaster4President

Postby ThizGuy83 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:00 pm

hes getting closer to his wifes size
Dwight "tweedle Dee tweedle dum" Howard
ThizGuy83

Postby lakersStan24 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:23 am

sad
Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
lakersStan24

Postby KB24 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:34 am

brandonr2001 wrote:hes getting closer to his wifes size

assuming they usually eat together, thats not wondering me. And Odom's love for candys is well documented.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:59 am

^^^^ Meeks in Backstage Lakers " I love candy but not as much as Lamar Odom"
wcsoldier81

Postby XXIV on Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:06 am

His career is hanging by a thread, he needs to use this opportunity to get in shape both physically and mentally for his future. Maybe he can do what Ron did and get into shape by the All-Star break and contribute during the post season.
XXIV

Postby davriver290 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:22 pm

I honestly think its the trade from the Lakers that mentally messed up Odom. He did not want to leave from here. I felt horrible when we traded him
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby OX1947 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:44 pm

LO will be out of the league by the end of the year. Look at players like Barbosa, McGrady, etc. These guys are barely getting on teams or going oversees and they are mentally stable and still have skills.
OX1947

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:39 pm

I'm still really surprised at him. I figured he would be ALL pumped up and flat out redeem himself after the Dallas fiasco, because he was back in L.A. And it would be a chance to try to show the Lakers they were wrong for considering him expendable. But Wow, no that's not the case.

I tell you he still loves the Lakers and is all in for his "Trojan Horse" routine....a 2nd time this year with the Clippers. :jam2: :man1:
LTLakerFan

Postby mastersworddude on Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:20 am

davriver290 wrote:I honestly think its the trade from the Lakers that mentally messed up Odom. He did not want to leave from here. I felt horrible when we traded him

We didn't want to either. But Mitch said he and his agent were very adamant about a trade after the whole CP3 thing.
mastersworddude

Postby jimbo327 on Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:52 pm

too much candy
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby GinoDB on Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:01 pm

glad we basically traded him for Nash :man10:
GinoDB

Return to NBA Discussion