Lamar Odom Discussion: Waived, not up to NBA standard (38)

Re: Lakers Reach out to Lamar Odom

Postby lakersyunowin on Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:59 am

Weezy wrote:Odom hasn't been the same since he was traded from the Lakers and not even told first. I would still gladly take him back as a player, if it would help turn his life around even better, we have zero to lose this season.

agreed. if taking him back helps him come back from the brink, well that trumps any basketball concerns imo.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby therealdeal on Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:07 am

lakersyunowin wrote:
Weezy wrote:Odom hasn't been the same since he was traded from the Lakers and not even told first. I would still gladly take him back as a player, if it would help turn his life around even better, we have zero to lose this season.

agreed. if taking him back helps him come back from the brink, well that trumps any basketball concerns imo.

That's not how you help an addict. You don't give him more money and put him around people with large amounts of money who are also capable of getting drugs.

You put him in rehab and support him that way. You don't put him in your locker room.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:10 am

Very sad, depressing news about Lamar. He's had some real blows in life, but this is obviously an unacceptable way for him to act out. He needs to get his life back together. Things looked promising for him with his new wife, even if she is a Kardashian. She seems to really love him. But wow. He's got to pull himself back from the brink. Hard to say whether basketball would help him or just be another distraction/enabling situation. He needs to get into rehab. But will he? Who knows? At any rate, playing for the Lakers seems pretty farfetched at this point. Too bad, I like LO. He was a warrior for us in those championship runs.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Juronimo on Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:28 am

wow, the news gets worse and worse.

I hope he gets help.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:35 pm

Mark Medina: Lakers talked with Lamar Odom once this summer, but it was early in free agency, said league source. Don't expect him to be a Laker Twitter
Ariza3

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:38 pm

The NBA is a "brotherhood" ... and its members will rally to support players like Lamar Odom through good times and bad ... so says Kevin Durant.

Durant was leaving DeMatha High School in Maryland after playing in a Goodman League charity game (he dropped 40 btw) ... when we asked about Odom, who's currently struggling with issues stemming from an addiction to crack cocaine.

Durant made it clear L.O. can count on his fellow players to have his back.

NBA superstar John Wall was also in attendance (though he didn't play in the game) ... and told us he's also rooting for Lamar.

"I just hope he figures it out. That's it."

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2013/08/26/lamar-odo ... z2d6cXNAMT
Visit Fishwrapper: http://www.fishwrapper.com
Ariza3

Postby The Rock on Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:13 pm

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2013/08/26/lamar-odoms-nba-future-currently-on-hold/
The Lakers had “some interest” in acquiring Odom and had talks with him in early July, but the team no longer has any interest in acquiring him, according to a league source familiar with the discussions.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby lakersyunowin on Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:20 pm

therealdeal wrote:
lakersyunowin wrote:

That's not how you help an addict. You don't give him more money and put him around people with large amounts of money who are also capable of getting drugs.

You put him in rehab and support him that way. You don't put him in your locker room.

welcoming him back would be a gateway to do the helpful things you mentioned. in the context of him being MIA, him being in a locker room is better than him being alone and dying somewhere.

EDIT: looks like it's being reported that he was never missing. i dunno then...
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby therealdeal on Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:34 pm

lakersyunowin wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
lakersyunowin wrote:

welcoming him back would be a gateway to do the helpful things you mentioned. in the context of him being MIA, him being in a locker room is better than him being alone and dying somewhere.

EDIT: looks like it's being reported that he was never missing. i dunno then...

That's why you put him in rehab, you don't let him come into the locker room where he could easily be a toxic presence to others.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Alcindor on Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:08 pm

Love L.O., was always one of my fav players, so unique of a skill set. But it's not the time to reopen this chapter of Laker history. Not while he has so much baggage. The past few year's struggles seem to make more sense now.
Alcindor

Postby gcclaker on Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:10 pm

SI reports that Clippers and Jamison agree to a contract...terms not disclosed yet. Amundson could end up taking Odom's spot.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Kobe8Fan on Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:16 pm

gcclaker wrote:SI reports that Clippers and Jamison agree to a contract...terms not disclosed yet. Amundson could end up taking Odom's spot.

Forget Amundson. Call Drew Gooden, Tyrus Thomas or Yi Jianlian.
Kobe8Fan

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:17 pm

“@MagicJohnson: I hope my man and former Laker, Lamar Odom is doing okay.”
Ariza3

Postby XXIV on Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:20 pm

The Rock wrote:http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2013/08/26/lamar-odoms-nba-future-currently-on-hold/
The Lakers had “some interest” in acquiring Odom and had talks with him in early July, but the team no longer has any interest in acquiring him, according to a league source familiar with the discussions.

No surprise there. I just hope Odom's situation improves and he's able to get himself where he needs to be. He's been through a lot I don't think anyone questions that, but he's also been given a blessing in his life and I pray his drug addiction doesn't destroy everything he's overcome for.
XXIV

Postby jadej2 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:46 pm

Kobe8Fan wrote:
gcclaker wrote:SI reports that Clippers and Jamison agree to a contract...terms not disclosed yet. Amundson could end up taking Odom's spot.

Kinda of hard when Amundson is the only willing player that is interested in coming here.
jadej2

Postby lakerzkb8 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:38 pm

This is bigger then basketball. The guy played with a lot of heart on this team and helped us win 2 rings. I really hope some teammates are trying to reach out to him.

Lamar's father is a heroin addict.
His mother passed away when he was young.
He grew up in a bad neighborhood.
He lost his youngest child in 2006.
He lost his cousin in 2011, and at the exact same time his limo service was responsible for hitting and eventually killing a 15 year old. This is the same off-season he was traded.

To go through so much loss, instability, and the trade that displaced his living situation during a tough time put him over the edge.

I dont think rehab is the answer. He should just detox then go on a retreat with his loved ones to get his mind/body right. He needs to find some peace with all his inner demons. This part is crucial, then there will be no desire for substance abuse. I wish him all the best. Respect to Khloe Kardashian for all that shes trying to do.
This game's in the refrigerator: the door is closed, the lights are out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard, and the Jello's jigglin'! - Chick Hearn RIP
lakerzkb8

Postby noobiew on Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:08 pm

Lakers were like his family and since when we traded him, everything seemed to go downhill for Lamar Odom and he was struggling so much.

Lamar Odom chances of becoming a Lakers again are probably done, but I do hope that he recovers quickly and wish LO nothing but the best.
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby PJ for 10 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:01 pm

This is a crazy idea, one that just popped in my head now.
What about giving Odom a shot on the D-Fenders? Let him play, be back as a "Laker" and see if he can get his mind right. If he shows that he can play and can work his body to the shape that it needs to be in, then call him up to the big leagues.

I don't think Lamar would do it though. He might consider it a slap in the face.
KOBE will stay
PJ for 10

Postby Frank Dux on Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:20 pm

I love LO as much as anybody, but the idea of signing him to help him get his mind straight is absurd. This is a professional sports team, not a rehab facility.

LO has the funds to get the best treatment in the world. He's a great guy and I wish him the best.
Frank Dux

Postby OX1947 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:13 pm

The LO ship has sailed. Time to turn the page.
OX1947

Postby lakersin4 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:52 am

Kobe8Fan wrote:

Funny to see Yi mentioned, can the guy even play at a NBA level still? Despite the age scandal he's still only what, 25? If he has NBA level game still, he's certainly worth a camp invite if that's something he's open to, last I read I think he was playing overseas so he might not even come to camp without some guaranteed money.. If there's a buyout involved he's probably not worth the hassle.

Drew Gooden was an overpaid stat stuffer at his best, extremely low bbiq, yet another guy that plays no defense at all.. He's a body to play minutes at PF & that's something we desperately need, but I think he'd do more harm than good.

Amundson is a low risk low reward signing.. He's no spring chicken but he's still got years left in the tank.. He doesn't do anything particularly well, but he's a decent defender & rebounder.. He's still in the league because of 1 thing & that's hustle.. He works his butt off on every play just like Jordan Hill.. He's extremely active & that's where he makes his impact. He's not at the top of my list, but I have him at #2 now thatthe LO ship seems to have sailed & Jamison is a Clipper.

Which leaves us with Tyrus Thomas.. Outside of the Knicks I haven't seen any team show interest in him this offseason.. Is it his bad reputation or do teams know something we don't?(like was likely the case when we were all wondering why we didn't sign LO right after Farmar) Maybe there's something going on with his personal life or health, & if that's why we haven't expressed interest, I understand.. But if it's nothing but his bad reputation, we need to be making that call immediately.. We're talking about a kid who just turned 27 & can give you a block & a half per game in just over 20 MPG.. Undersized PF with plenty of athleticism that should be able to run the floor & give us atleast 1 guy who can protect the rim. He's a below average rebounder, passer, scorer, & pretty much only excels at making plays with his athleticism, but that's something that every 1 of our bigs are lacking.. I think he fits with our plans perfectly.. Look at the guys we're counting on to step up this season: Jordan Hill, Wesley Johnson, Nick Young, & you can probably add Farmar to the list.. Young guys who haven't lived up to their potential yet & could blossom into players worth giving multi-year deals to next summer.

The only PF I take over TT is Beasley if he becomes available, but we have no idea if they're going to waive him.. If they do, obviously we need him, even if we sign a TT or Amundson, Beasley could still get plenty of minutes at both F spots.

We need to sign a PF.. The closest thing to a "sure thing" signing at PF is Amundson, who has an extremely low ceiling but would be a better piece to complete the rotation on a contender, because he's a safer signing. I'll never count a team with Kobe out, even returning from an injury that ended or shortened so many careers. But unless we REALLY overachieve & defy all odds when it comes to health, we still don't have the star power to win in the playoffs against OKC or the Spurs, unless Westbrook or Durant is injured again, or if it's the Spurs we'd need Duncan or Parker out.. I won't crown the Paperclips yet because I don't think CP3 can beat OKC or the Spurs either as the lone superstar, but they were already very good & did nothing but improve.. I just don't see why we don't sign TT.. With Kelly & Harris complete question marks, we need another PF that has played minutes in the league.. Why not sign the 1 guy available that's both young & a good shotblocker? Jordan Hill & Pau are our best shotblockers.. That's a scary thought.
lakersin4

Postby Barnstable on Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:43 pm

I think we can safely move this to NBA discussion.

Doubt he's going to be a Laker as it stands right now.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby Delicious on Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:33 pm

Just for old time's sake... Get well Lamar

http://lakersmedia.com/highlights/strea ... h-cry.html
Set up your Wet up
Delicious

Postby Juronimo on Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:52 pm

Lamar in better days....

Especially since who he did it against

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Re: Lamar Odom Discussion

Postby Weezy on Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:54 pm

Yeah, he's obviously not going to be a Laker, or maybe ever play in the NBA again even, I just wish him well in life, I hope he gets help. I read this today about Iverson, McGrady, and quite possibly and Odom all officially being out of the NBA this offseason. Odom is most talked about in the piece, I won't post it because it contains some swearing and I don't have time to edit right now.

http://www.gq.com/blogs/the-feed/2013/08/ai-t-mac-and-lamar-a-divisive-nba-era-ends-all-at-once.html
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion