Larry Brown and Cuban exchange verbal blows

Larry Brown and Cuban exchange verbal blows

Postby JSM on Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:56 pm

Looks like they are having a disagreement about the Olympics
Sportsline: Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said Sunday that Detroit Pistons and U.S. Olympic basketball coach Larry Brown wasn't qualified to criticize the stance Cuban and other owners have taken against international play by their athletes.

"This is a topic that's easy for Larry to comment on," Cuban said in an e-mail to The Dallas Morning News. "He has never had to write the check for an NBA payroll in his life."

Brown said in an interview with the newspaper during the Pistons' trip to Dallas on Saturday that he finds it disingenuous that Cuban and other owners question if it is in the best interest of their teams to allow their players to compete in the Olympics.

He believes the presence of NBA players on the 1992 Dream Team helped develop many of the foreign players now in the NBA.

"If the Dream Team didn't go, maybe he wouldn't have half his players," Brown said of Cuban. "Maybe these kids would be playing soccer or something else. That makes me sick."

The newspaper reported on its Web site Sunday night that Cuban issued an e-mail response after seeing a transcript of Brown's comments.

"If things don't work out, a player gets injured or he doesn't like the way things are going, he can do what he has done everywhere else, just leave," Cuban wrote. "As the owner of the team, I can't do that. I am responsible to everyone in the organization, particularly the fans, who much prefer watching our best players, playing at the top of their game.

"Larry is a great coach, and that is exactly what he should stick to," Cuban said. "When he is responsible for a hundred million dollars or more in contracts, then I will respect his opinion on the subject."

Cuban, who acknowledged the positive impact the Dream Team had on the worldwide appeal of basketball, said it may be time to stop looking at the Olympics as a marketing tool for professional sports.

He also suggested that USA Basketball fill its roster with college players.

"Or better yet, why doesn't coach Brown quit the Pistons and donate his services and enough money to support a program that pays college-age players a stipend to be part of USA Basketball and represent our country?" Cuban said. "Now that would be patriotic."

Cuban suggested the players could play for USA Basketball rather than a college and practice full time in Colorado Springs, Colo., where other Olympic teams practice.

"To help out, I would even match however much coach Brown donated to the cause and help raise money for the team," Cuban said.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby murcielago62 on Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:39 pm

Larry is right.
"Sitting in the house, I'm loadin' up the pump. I'm loadin' up the Uzi. I got a couple M-16s, a couple 9s. I got a couple joints with some silencers on them. I'm just loading clips, a couple grenades. I got a missile launcher with a couple of missiles. I'm ready for war." - Kevin Garnett
murcielago62

Postby Guest on Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:16 pm

You could look at this and agree with both of them on certain points. I can understand why Brown is frustrated because without Nowitzki playing for Germany and Nash playing for Canada, those countries don't have a chance and the competition would be watered-down which does sort of taint the "Olympic competitive spirit" so to speak. On the other hand, I agree with Cuban because his players are his "property" and if he doesn't want to risk injury to his "investments", he has the right to be skeptical about them playing. Plus, where does Larry Brown get off telling players that it is their obligation to compete. Says who? Those guys don't have to play for their country even if Cuban wanted them to so I don't understand where Brown thinks he has the right to tell players who don't play for him what to do.

Postby Mookie on Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:34 pm

That Mark Cuban gets in the spotlight all the time.
Fines wont do it, maybe try something different?
Suspensions maybe?
We all know how much those can hurt.
Mookie

Return to NBA Discussion