Lebron hasn't committed a foul in nearly 2 weeks & 5 games

Re: Lebron hasn't committed a foul in nearly 2 weeks & 5 games

Postby The Original 81 on Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:13 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:It makes perfect sense..... Kobe doesn't get a foul call in his favor for games at a time and Lebron doesn't get a foul called against him for games at a time. Seem Legit.

Yep. In other news, water is wet, fire is hot, and grass is green. Move along.
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

Postby Iceberg Slim on Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:43 pm

The most physically imposing player of all-time, who averaged 22 rebounds for his career along 30 points a game, never fouled out in 14 years. I'll buy some ref bias, sure. But that record puts everything to bed.
www.thesportslyceum.com - personal blog

Iceberg Slim

Postby gill on Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:56 pm

Streak over. He fouled Ibaka! :man10:
gill

Postby hig on Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:17 pm

gill wrote:Streak over. He fouled Ibaka! :man10:

Probably only because it was getting talked about...
"I'm sure people who've been in our corner, they'll stay in our corner. People who are not, I'm sure they'll jump off the bandwagon.

"Then when we do get back on top, they're going to want to jump back on and we're going to tell them there's no more room.'
hig

Postby Forklift on Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:30 pm

hig wrote:
gill wrote:Streak over. He fouled Ibaka! :man10:

Probably only because it was getting talked about...

yeah that foul was bs it was a clean block!! :man2: :man2: :freak2:
Forklift

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:55 pm

Iceberg Slim wrote:The most physically imposing player of all-time, who averaged 22 rebounds for his career along 30 points a game, never fouled out in 14 years. I'll buy some ref bias, sure. But that record puts everything to bed.

Only problem with that is that was a different NBA. In today's game Kobe got called for a foul on JR Smith because Smith's foot hit Kobe. MWP fouled out on a playe where he never touched the guy. In today's "no touch" NBA how can the most imposing player not get a foul for nearly a month?
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby therealdeal on Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:02 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
Iceberg Slim wrote:The most physically imposing player of all-time, who averaged 22 rebounds for his career along 30 points a game, never fouled out in 14 years. I'll buy some ref bias, sure. But that record puts everything to bed.

Only problem with that is that was a different NBA. In today's game Kobe got called for a foul on JR Smith because Smith's foot hit Kobe. MWP fouled out on a playe where he never touched the guy. In today's "no touch" NBA how can the most imposing player not get a foul for nearly a month?

This.

Wilt scored 100 points, he averaged 50/25. If we compare those to anyone today, there's no one close to great in the NBA.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Forward Three on Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:09 pm

Also, to further put it in perspective, when Wilt scored 100, the day after it was a minor news blip. There simply wasn't the type of international, multibillion dollar interconnected across various industries entertainment goliath that there is today. The reason we talk about ref bias, specifically 'superstar treatment' today, is because it exists and because there is an actual incentive for it. We can debate the purity of the sport all day long, but at the end of the day, calls get changed to protect star players, calls get changed to protect close games, guys like Jodie Meeks will never ever get the same types of calls that guys like Kobe or Lebron get.

And yes, I think this is also directly related to how and why the NBA has gotten 'soft'. Before there was millions of eyes on it at all times who really cared if some elbows were thrown? who really cared if someone got pushed or tripped or whatever? You obviously had refs and regulation to keep it sporting but when you're not talking about billions of dollars running through and intense 24/7/365 media scrutiny, it's a lot easier to let things go overall.
Forward Three

Postby Iceberg Slim on Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:37 pm

Like I said, I'll buy some ref bias. But that record still puts everything to bed, point blank. Sure, the rules are different now. Touch fouls are WAY more common. The league is soft in my opinion because of it. With that said, I think it's possible for guys who are extremely physically imposing, to channel themselves defensively and play with supreme discipline. Bill Russell showed that. Wilt personified it. And he WASN'T liked. Has Lebron done this? I couldn't tell you. I haven't watched him since December 8th, every play, every night. But it's possible. Wilt was a prime example of that. His feat was more impressive than anything I've ever heard almost. Especially because he was a center and a shot blocker. Lebron's streak is crazy and very questionable. Wilts streak is asinine.
www.thesportslyceum.com - personal blog

Iceberg Slim

Postby therealdeal on Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:43 pm

And so were the numbers he posted back then, but they aren't good indicators of the game today. Anything is possible within reason. LeBron playing great defense and not fouling ONCE is beyond reason. There are no great defenders in the league that can do that. Not Dwight, not Tyson Chandler, not Tony Allen, not Shane Battier, etc. etc. etc.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Previous

Return to NBA Discussion