Lebron hasn't committed a foul in nearly 2 weeks & 5 games

Lebron hasn't committed a foul in nearly 2 weeks & 5 games

Postby The Rock on Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:43 am

On Dec. 8th, in a Miami Heat win over the New Orleans Hornets, LeBron James registered two personal fouls. That doesn’t exactly place him in Amir Johnson-territory, as the Toronto Raptors big man averages a healthy 6.2 fouls per 36 minutes of play, but it did give the 2011-12 NBA MVP 32 whistles after 18 games.

James has played 23 games now, for his 17-6 Miami Heat, and he’s still only registered 32 fouls on the year. It’s been five games, LeBron has played over 186 minutes over the course of his team’s 4-1 run, and he hasn’t been hit with a single foul throughout the entirety of that span. Not a tap or a tweet or a flop or a flail. Impressive stuff, LeBron. So much so that our friends at The Basketball Jones have marveled at this streak in each of their most recent podcasts. So much so that on Saturday night, in a game against the notoriously slap-happy Utah Jazz, LeBron might take in some sarcastic applause from Heat fans should he be whistled for his first foul in two weeks.

That is, of course, assuming the people that buy tickets to a Miami Heat game on a Saturday night pay attention to this stuff.

The streak has actually gone on past 186 minutes. James was hit with his second foul, and offensive charge, nine and a half minutes into the Dec. 8th win over the Hornets. This means he played a good 25 minutes or so during that contest without an infraction, which puts the foul-less streak at over 211 minutes. Considering James’ All-Defensive First Team credentials, this is strong stuff.

Strong stuff that, for those that like to do their finest work in comment sections, might be sloughed off as a “Star Treatment” situation. It’s true that, without meaning to, NBA referees show deferential treatment to superstars when they make their split-second whistle decisions mostly because they tend to trust an All-NBA type more than a scrub when it comes to judgment calls. It’s not that NBA refs are trying to keep the stars on the floor, players like LeBron James are too good to make something like that come into consideration, it’s just the inherent bias that comes from seeing talented players consistently do remarkable things.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/lebron-james-hasn-t-whistled-foul-two-weeks-160100036--nba.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Re: Lebron hasn't committed a foul in nearly 2 weeks & 5 games

Postby 432J on Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:46 am

:man3:

how is this even possible?
432J

Postby John3:16 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:17 pm

2 weeks and 5 games..... that's like a month. :man10:
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:25 pm

Old article but more impressive stats ... 1 foul in 24 games :man10:

Miami Heat's LeBron James getting unprecedented protection

LeBron's foul average suggests NBA refs are protecting him

15 comments by Bob Young - Jan. 3, 2012 08:49 PM
The Arizona Republic

A longtime Suns follower and observer of the NBA recently e-mailed to point out that LeBron James is getting unprecedented protection from NBA referees.

For instance:

Last season, James was whistled for just one foul in 24 games. He wasn't called for a foul at all in six other games.

It's also worth noting that he didn't foul out of any game and reached five personal fouls only twice.

James is averaging 1.97 fouls per game over his career. That's fewer than some of the greatest defensive players in the history of the NBA.

It's also way below the 2.6 fouls per game that Michael Jordan averaged during his career -- and we thought he was getting all the calls.

The only superstar we could find in league history who even came close to LeBron's level of Teflon was Wilt Chamberlain, who averaged 1.99 fouls per game during his career.

Chamberlain never fouled out of a game in 14 seasons. James has fouled out three times, but not since April 2, 2008 in a game at Charlotte.

We know what you're thinking: This isn't anything new in the NBA, which always has had a reputation for protecting the best, most marketable players.

Well, yeah. But not to this level.

Sam Smith, who covered Jordan's career in Chicago, was first to point out on the Bulls website a couple of years ago that James is making Jordan seem like a Y-league hacker.

In 2008-09 James averaged 1.72 fouls per game and had one stretch of five consecutive games without a foul. We added it up, and James totaled three hours, three minutes and 49 seconds of game time in that stretch without being called for a foul!

In all, he played 11 games that season in which he wasn't charged with a foul.

Then in 2009-10 it got downright ridiculous. That season James had 13 games in which he wasn't called for a foul and another 24 with one foul.

He finished the season with an unbelievable average of 1.57 fouls per game.

Maybe the league took at least a little notice -- or perhaps the referees didn't like all that hoopla around "The Decision," either -- because even with 30 games of one foul or none, James saw his average per game jump to 2.06 last season.

Keep in mind that this is a guy who was named to the NBA's All-Defensive first team last season, so he at least has a reputation among coaches who pick the team for being an elite defender.

Thus, he isn't just avoiding fouls by letting people score.

What makes it all really questionable is that the NBA's rules have changed in an effort to reduce contact on the perimeter.

Yet, James is committing fewer fouls than the Z perimeter players of past eras when more contact was allowed.

Magic Johnson averaged 2.3 fouls per game. Gary Payton averaged 2.2. Dennis Johnson averaged 2.8.

How does James compare with some of his contemporaries?

Kobe Bryant has an average of 2.6 fouls per game for his career, and 2.1 per game was his best season once he became a full-time starter.

By contrast, LeBron's worst year was 2.29 in 2005-06.

Dwyane Wade has averaged 2.5 fouls per game during his career, Rajon Rondo 2.3, Kirk Hinrich 2.3, Shane Battier 2.4 and Grant Hill 2.4.

Evidently, James really is the "Chosen One."

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/heatindex/articles/2012/01/03/20120103heat-index-chosen-one-protection.html?nclick_check=1#ixzz2FiSKFtEh
Last edited by wcsoldier81 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wcsoldier81

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:33 pm

Another Heat record ended against us in last March

It was the first time he has fouled out in more than three years and ended an NBA record streak of 88 games (in the shot clock era) in which a Heat player had not fouled out
"I don't normally foul out," Wade said. "I guess I had the red flag on me today. But you're not going to get me to talk about the referees. I like my money in my pocket.".

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/story/2012-03-04/Lakers-upend-Heat-Wade-fouls-out-in-second-loss-in-a-row/53357698/1
wcsoldier81

Postby Ar[C]heZ!A on Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:07 pm

wcsoldier81 wrote:Old article but more impressive stats ... 1 foul in 24 games :man10:

I think you misunderstood that stat. We're talking about 0 total fouls in 5 games here. The article you quoted talks about total of 24 fouls in 24 games. In each of that 24 games, he only got 1 foul. Both of these stats are weird though.
Ar[C]heZ!A

Postby therealdeal on Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:22 pm

Impressive. He must be one of the greatest defenders of all time.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby kenzo on Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:05 pm

therealdeal wrote:Impressive. He must be one of the greatest defenders of all time.

He is :jam2: You don't watch enough ESPN real :man9:
kenzo

Postby therealdeal on Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:11 pm

I haven't watched ESPN (outside of exclusive games) since we traded for Dwight :man10:

Too easy for them hate right now.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Forward Three on Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:36 pm

I haven't watched many Heat games this season, but one thing I have always noticed about Lebron's style of play is that for as fast and aggressive as he is offensively, he's much more conservative defensively. He has been lauded for his defense in recent years, and it has improved to be fair(I wouldn't call it elite, but it is what it is), but there are many aspects of his game where he simply doesn't do things, at least not as a staple of how he plays. He doesn't stand in for charges much, he doesn't go for blocks unless they are chasedowns, he doesn't reach-in much, and while the Heat as a team play hte passing lanes aggressively, he personally doesn't gamble on them as much. I'm not about to say he's 'soft' defensively, if you were generous, you might call it 'smart' defensively. Being that he tends to avoid the sensational and focus more on just having his body being large and making things awkward for whoever he is guarding.

All that said. He's also protected by the league and has been since day 1. He's the type of player who they'll change a foul call for and put it on someone like Chalmers or Haslem instead. It's honestly almost like refs just ignore him sometimes, almost like they just forget that they are allowed to call fouls on him. Every once in a blue moon he'll have a 4 or 5 foul game and I think he's fouled out once or twice in his career, but overall, it's just one of those things. Interestingly, Shane Battier is another guy much like this, he's built a reputation as a defender who doesn't foul so that when he does, or when there is confusion on who to call the foul on they give him the benefit of the doubt.
Forward Three

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:10 pm

I think that's been one of Wade's sources of frustration lately, one if the reasons he appears to be playing mad mist of the time. He's not the one that gets all the calls on the team, and he's had to adjust his game. In retrospect, Kobe dealt with it much better than Wade did. You never saw him try to hurt anyone the way Wade has.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:39 pm

Really it is the Jordan treatment. Lebron is a great help defender but no way in hell a player touted as "great defender" like the media makes him fails to foul anyone. The refs just don't call anything against him period. On the other end players can't touch him. The dude is good but damn this is crazy.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby dj vitus on Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:09 pm

Forward Three wrote:Interestingly, Shane Battier is another guy much like this, he's built a reputation as a defender who doesn't foul so that when he does, or when there is confusion on who to call the foul on they give him the benefit of the doubt.

You make a great point about having a "reputation." It's the worst double-standard, ever.

It happens in schools, too, where certain kids have a "reputation" of getting A's, or they hang out with A students, so they get As. Teachers protect them.

Meanwhile, the C or D students might work hard and put out a great project every once in a while, but still get failing grades on those.

Yeah, most refs try to call it like it is, but no one can really say that refs don't have bias. It's just like the media. They're humans, too, just like you and me, and we all have our own opinions and preferences.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby Forward Three on Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:30 pm

The other maddening thing about this stat is how many minutes Lebron plays. Saw the box from tonight and after 37:30 minutes he again didn't have any PFs, the only other person with 0PFs who played substantial minutes was Mo Williams and he only played 16 minutes. It's simply not possible. It just is not possible. There is no defense so perfect, fouling is PART of playing defense.
Forward Three

Postby Phil XI on Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:42 am

Give a hard foul once in a while, you douche. Otherwise the league will know you're a [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.]. edit - feline
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:31 pm

Meanwhile opposing players can shift their eyeballs in his direction and hear the whistle :man10:
Jazzygirl205

Postby nameant on Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:17 pm

Such a great defender.
nameant

Postby therealdeal on Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:09 am

I think we're up to 7 games now. :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersStan24 on Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:15 am

Impressive
Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
lakersStan24

Postby kenzo on Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:23 am

... joke.
kenzo

Postby LooN3y on Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:18 am

i dont like to quote idiot adolescents but, "thats that [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] i dont like"
LooN3y

Postby 432J on Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:43 am

i just don't understand how this is even possible

if you're playing tough, hard nosed D it is inevitable that you commit a foul. either he's not playing any D whatsoever or he's getting superb treatment from the refs (i'd go with this one)
432J

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:34 pm

It makes perfect sense..... Kobe doesn't get a foul call in his favor for games at a time and Lebron doesn't get a foul called against him for games at a time. Seem Legit.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:55 pm

I haven't seen any of the games, but LeBron has averaged very few fouls throughout his career. It's not as though this is TOO shocking

Still not getting called for a single foul over 6 games is crazy
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby The Original 81 on Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:13 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:It makes perfect sense..... Kobe doesn't get a foul call in his favor for games at a time and Lebron doesn't get a foul called against him for games at a time. Seem Legit.

Yep. In other news, water is wet, fire is hot, and grass is green. Move along.
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

Next

Return to NBA Discussion