Linsanity: Career high 38

Re: Linsanity: Lin now a Rocket - pg 4

Postby nameant on Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:21 am

Can't blame NY fans for being pissed. Houston DID give up on him. The minute they saw he actually could play and realized they could basically replace Yao's popularity amongst Chinese fans...they went for it. This move is all about money.
nameant

Postby FabFourLakers on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:26 am

nameant wrote:Can't blame NY fans for being pissed. Houston DID give up on him. The minute they saw he actually could play and realized they could basically replace Yao's popularity amongst Chinese fans...they went for it. This move is all about money.

They also needed a PG in the worst way. Dragic left,and they traded Lowry. But i agree, they cut him, and then brought him back for $$$$$. Houston's owner just came in his pants thinking about how much money he's going to bring to the Rockets...
FabFourLakers

Postby purp n gold on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:45 am

I'm proud of what Lin has accomplished as an Asian-American, but just tired of this story. It's far more about hype than basketball.

I see the significance of the Linsanity story, but now that it's already had its breakthrough in pop culture, all that's left are the shuffling of advertisement and marketing dollars. I don't really care for those things.

I don't see Lin developing into an impact player that matches the hype he's receiving. He'll be a decent backup PG and that's it. He's not athletic and still hasn't proven he can run a real offense efficiently. I can't get excited over a mediocre player as a basketball fan.

On top of that, both the Knicks and Rockets will probably be inconsequential in the NBA next year. So who cares?
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby bystander on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:45 am

KeepBynum wrote:Image

Pathetic. Houston offered Lin a huge offer sheet do these morons honestly expect him to decline it?

LOL People are soooo stupid it hurts.

I don't want to live in this planet anymore.gif
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby lakefansac on Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:16 pm

^^^^^^^
Look it's a Yahoo News Message Board with all the racist, ignorant comments. Gotta love the internet, it gives people the courage to say stuff because they know they can't get punched in the face or talked back to.
lakefansac

Postby nameant on Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:20 pm

I dont see that stuff on FB. Was it already deleted?

Edit: NM
nameant

Postby Juronimo on Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:29 pm

Those comments are :bang:

Anyone working even if you've been at the company for years, if someone other company offers you a 50% raise you wouldn't take it?

(assuming those are real comments)

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby SK8 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:48 pm

Nigga??? :man10: :man10: :man10: Wow amazing. I'm out of words :D
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:10 pm

I'm not even black or Asian and I find those comments very offensive. There's no need for racism in this country.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby KB24 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:09 pm

he will be a bust in Houston.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Juronimo on Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:30 pm

Also if NY fans want to be upset be upset at the Knicks' management.

If your core is Melo and Amare, you're winning nothing. Also this is the same team that traded for both Franchise and Starbury's awful contracts, gave Eddie Curry 10 mil plus and they also gave Jerome James the MLE. The whole Isaiah Thomas debacle...

Knick fans should be directing their anger at Dolan. They're mad at the wrong person.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:53 pm

bystander wrote:
KeepBynum wrote:Image

Pathetic. Houston offered Lin a huge offer sheet do these morons honestly expect him to decline it?

LOL People are soooo stupid it hurts.

I don't want to live in this planet anymore.gif

the racism is just pathetic

i dont think much of Lin as a ballplayer and understand the backlash is deserved/expected but the racist crap jus makes it worse
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Kou on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:07 pm

"WHY DIDNT YOU TURN DOWN 25MILLION AFTER WE SIGNED TWO POINT GUARDS!!?!!??!!"
NBA 2k9 team:

Fisher/Rose/Watson
Bryant/Wells
Lee/Ariza/Walton
Gasol/Yi
Bynum/Zo
Kou

Postby Finwë on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:25 pm

KB24 wrote:he will be a bust in Houston.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:34 pm

KB24 wrote:he will be a bust in Houston.

Maybe, but I'll be rooting for him. Lin is now my favorite non Laker after KD. :jam2:
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Nashty Gal on Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:57 pm

ughhh all those comments by those sickening people just made me start rooting for Jeremy to succeed. F all those people, go Lin! Good luck in Houston :man12:
The Black Mamba and the White Swan
Kobe on talk with Pau about being more aggressive, "it's against his nature, he's always very nice, very white swan, I need him to be black swan"

http://www.thesexysaxman.com
Nashty Gal

Postby Congo Cash on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:27 pm

Less than 500k to 8 million... Let's see these idiots turn down all that money... I'm sorry, but if someone offered me that money, I don't care if they literally worship me, I'm jumping ship ASAP...

The Knicks don't want to match what do you [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] expect...

I don't know if those are real comments, but after watching some Maury on youtube, it wouldn't shock me at all... A lot of people have this holier-than-thou attitude...
- insert signature here -
Congo Cash

Postby gcclaker on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:33 pm

Reading those comments...ignorance gone wild.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakerBoyz24 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:42 pm

purp n gold wrote:I'm proud of what Lin has accomplished as an Asian-American, but just tired of this story. It's far more about hype than basketball.

I see the significance of the Linsanity story, but now that it's already had its breakthrough in pop culture, all that's left are the shuffling of advertisement and marketing dollars. I don't really care for those things.

I don't see Lin developing into an impact player that matches the hype he's receiving. He'll be a decent backup PG and that's it. He's not athletic and still hasn't proven he can run a real offense efficiently. I can't get excited over a mediocre player as a basketball fan.

On top of that, both the Knicks and Rockets will probably be inconsequential in the NBA next year. So who cares?

His UPSIDE is a back up PG in a world where George Hill/Darren Collison, Hinrich/Teague, Augustin, Jennings, Calderon, Nate Robinson, Brandon Knight, Jameer Nelson, Sessions, Chalmers etc, were all starting PG's for their respective teams? Back up PG after his strong, historic year (basically rookie year) in the NBA, while he's only 23?

Back up PG when he avged about 18 ppg/7 assists/5 reb in all his games as a starter in a injury ridden team in practically his first year of playing in the league? When he alone led a team with a roster of Jeffries/Fields/Novak/Chandler to a 7 game winning streak, and to the playoffs(which they would have not have even gotten into, had it not been for him) in his first chance to get minutes in NBA? First, you must not have watched him play, and second, I want whatever drugs you're on(since marijuana would help you think more carefully, not be a ret'ard who blabs made up crap out of his mouth).

You don't get excited because you're not a basketball fan and you don't watch the game; you're a casual fan who admires stat lines and results of the games in NBA even if you never even watched the game/title they just won. He's not athletic because he's not a cyborg like Lebron James, and can't run a offense when he controlled the pace of the games as a floor general? Then I guess Tony Parker and Steve Nash are both scrubs as well, since according to you they wouldn't be athletic and can't run a offense. Oh wait, but you must totally watch him play, I mean how can he be athletic when he slithers into the paint and driving lanes at will, while being able to avg 5 reb a game as a PG and being a lot stronger/bigger than a lot of the PG's in this league(he's 6'4, while avg height of a PG in this league is 6'1-6'2 and weights a lot more and can take a lot of hits while he basically forces himself to penetrate the paint) ? Hope you catch the sarcasm, ret'ard.

His upside, according to many people who actually watched the game and other NBA analysts/critics, if he is anything close to what we seen from his short run before his injury, is maybe a slight notch below a elite PG, or at the very best, a elite PG. We really don't know yet, hence why he's a dark horse and a gamble, but at the very least he's a average starting PG in this league(based on his small sample size, which people are basing it off of, and not just random made up opinions that came from thin air like yours).

Can people who do not watch this game just go over to ESPN and comment on their articles please? I'm sick and tired of correcting these casual "Lakers"/sports fan, whatever they like to call themselves. I still hate sports forums cause there's trash like this spewing crap all the time.
LakerBoyz24

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:04 am

kray28 wrote:The Knicks are such a joke organization. Good luck to Lin in Houston. The Rockets are still getting a veritable bargain here. Lin is also actually very good...I don't know why people are talking down his ability as a player. If he wasn't any good, there wouldn't have been any hype in the first place. The guy singlehandedly turned around the season for the Knicks until Melo came back and the offense when down the toilet again.

^^ Agreed. Typical NY fans, too. Classy post by Lin and then extremely unclassy responses from a bunch of total knucklehead New Yorkers.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby BDG on Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:43 am

Overrated and overpaid.

Paying $15M in a contract year for a guy who had 20 good games in his career is absurd.

New York did the right thing letting him walk. It's lame on the Knicks' part to try to make it about loyalty though. Fact is, Houston overpaid for him and New York (for once) decided not to overpay themselves.

Like it or not, Melo was right -- that was a ridiculous offer.

May I also remind you he's coming off serious knee surgery?
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby abeer3 on Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:50 am

knicks were right not to match, stupid fan comments aside.

lin was also right to pursue the best deal for him. if someone wants to overpay him by 4-5 million per year, he should jump on it. i don't think he'll be getting another big contract after this one, so cash in while you can.

as for whether he'll be a bust...what's a bust? he's an average pg, imo. if i were houston, i would have kept dragic at approximately the same money, or lowry at less money. both are better players. that said, i think lin will probably put up some numbers because they'll be running much of their offense through him next year. i mean, look at their roster right now. even if they miraculously dupe orlando into giving them howard for a fistful of mid-first rounders, lin's going to see a lot of shots.
abeer3

Postby c.Lin on Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:20 am

I can't blame Lin for testing the open market. It's absurd to expect him not to. Houston gave him a fatty offer sheet and he accepted, fully expecting and wanting NY to match. From reports that I've read, NY wanted to keep him, but wasn't willing to shell out the money Houston was willing to give him. It shows that even though they wanted to keep him long-term, they weren't sold on his potential. I can't blame the Knicks for that either.

I've followed Lin since his Harvard days. He's truly the epitome of an underdog story. But now that he's going to be making big money, the pressure is on him to produce. I really hope he's up to the challenge because it's not going to get any easier from here on out. The world is going to be watching him and the media will turn on him in a second if he busts.
c.Lin

Postby Forklift on Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:25 pm

purp n gold wrote:He'll be a decent backup PG and that's it. He's not athletic and still hasn't proven he can run a real offense efficiently.

umm were you watching the same games as us? Would you say Wade is athletic? Cause Lin is about the same height as Wade as is easily faster and quicker than Wade and he was able to run the offense pretty effectively while Melo and Amare were injured. Any team right now that puts him as a Backup must have a pretty damn good PG. All Lin really needs to work on is to not turn the ball over as much and have a more consistent shot and he can easily be a real All Star player maybe not a starter but still an All Star. I'm pretty sure all the Chinese votes will make him an All Star starter though.
Forklift

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:58 pm

He's not quicker or faster than Wade.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion