Linsanity: Career high 38

Re: Linsanity: Lin now a Rocket - pg 4

Postby Jigglin Jello on Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:27 pm

Juronimo wrote:Knick fans should be directing their anger at Dolan. They're mad at the wrong person.

Jackpot.

Knicks straight up told Lin to go test the market. Didn't give him an offer. Then Dolan's going to get all butthurt because Houston was smart and offered a contract that would make it unpalatable for the Knicks to match. Lin did what every player should do, go for the money. There's no loyalty in pro sports on the part of team owners, players shouldn't be expected to show any either. It's only us fans who are loyal.
“We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.”
― Charles Bukowski
Jigglin Jello

Postby purp n gold on Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:45 am

:man10: This guy.

LakerBoyz24 wrote:
purp n gold wrote:I'm proud of what Lin has accomplished as an Asian-American, but just tired of this story. It's far more about hype than basketball.

I see the significance of the Linsanity story, but now that it's already had its breakthrough in pop culture, all that's left are the shuffling of advertisement and marketing dollars. I don't really care for those things.

I don't see Lin developing into an impact player that matches the hype he's receiving. He'll be a decent backup PG and that's it. He's not athletic and still hasn't proven he can run a real offense efficiently. I can't get excited over a mediocre player as a basketball fan.

On top of that, both the Knicks and Rockets will probably be inconsequential in the NBA next year. So who cares?

His UPSIDE is a back up PG in a world where George Hill/Darren Collison, Hinrich/Teague, Augustin, Jennings, Calderon, Nate Robinson, Brandon Knight, Jameer Nelson, Sessions, Chalmers etc, were all starting PG's for their respective teams? Back up PG after his strong, historic year (basically rookie year) in the NBA, while he's only 23?

You do no justice to Jeremy Lin by comparing him to so many different kinds of PGs.

I'd rather have Hill, Collison, Jennings, Calderon and Brandon Knight over Lin. The others? Sure, Lin is probably better than those guys.

And what "historic year" are you talking about? You mean the 26-game run he had in a lockout season?

Back up PG when he avged about 18 ppg/7 assists/5 reb in all his games as a starter in a injury ridden team in practically his first year of playing in the league? When he alone led a team with a roster of Jeffries/Fields/Novak/Chandler to a 7 game winning streak, and to the playoffs(which they would have not have even gotten into, had it not been for him) in his first chance to get minutes in NBA? First, you must not have watched him play, and second, I want whatever drugs you're on(since marijuana would help you think more carefully, not be a ret'ard who blabs made up crap out of his mouth).

You don't get excited because you're not a basketball fan and you don't watch the game; you're a casual fan who admires stat lines and results of the games in NBA even if you never even watched the game/title they just won. He's not athletic because he's not a cyborg like Lebron James, and can't run a offense when he controlled the pace of the games as a floor general? Then I guess Tony Parker and Steve Nash are both scrubs as well, since according to you they wouldn't be athletic and can't run a offense. Oh wait, but you must totally watch him play, I mean how can he be athletic when he slithers into the paint and driving lanes at will, while being able to avg 5 reb a game as a PG and being a lot stronger/bigger than a lot of the PG's in this league(he's 6'4, while avg height of a PG in this league is 6'1-6'2 and weights a lot more and can take a lot of hits while he basically forces himself to penetrate the paint) ? Hope you catch the sarcasm, ret'ard.

:man10:
I like how you've been here for a couple months and you already know me! You're exactly right, I'm just a pot-smoking stats maniac!

Yet you're using stats to validate what Jeremy Lin has done. Sure, 18 ppg, 7 ast and 5 reb are nice numbers for a starter, but at what expense was he getting those numbers?

But forget numbers. Can you tell me why Jeremy Lin, "the floor general", had little to no ability in getting Carmelo and Amare involved in the offense? Can you tell me what offense he's capable of running other than pick and roll and ISO?

And please, DO NOT COMPARE LIN TO NASH. By saying that you're proving to me that you don't watch basketball, and that you only read headlines on USA Today. Just because they "appear" to be nonathletic does not mean they are even close to being the same player.

In fact, I would even say that Lin is a decent athlete.

But for the style that he plays - dribble drive or pick and roll & "slither" into the lane - he's very nonathletic for what he's trying to do. His game relies heavily on getting to the basket. I just don't think he can do that long term on an NBA level.

Lin's been getting by on some quickness, but doesn't have enough to LIVE on it. Often times when he's in the lane he stops, pivots and gets contact. Doesn't have enough jumping power to consistently get his shot off in the lane either.

Injuries will be a common if A) he continues play this way and B), doesn't develop a consistent jump shot.

Now to you, it appears that Nash does the same thing as Lin (pick and rolls, dribble drive), but he reads the game at a much, much higher level than Lin. He picks his spots at a much, much higher level than Lin. He shoots the ball at a much, much higher level than Lin. That's why he can avoid injury and contact. That's why Nash is an elite level PG.

Can Lin develop these qualities into his game? Maybe. Does he have it currently? No way in hell.

So sure, Lin is like Nash, in the way that a housecat and a lion are both felines. :man10:

His upside, according to many people who actually watched the game and other NBA analysts/critics, if he is anything close to what we seen from his short run before his injury, is maybe a slight notch below a elite PG, or at the very best, a elite PG. We really don't know yet, hence why he's a dark horse and a gamble, but at the very least he's a average starting PG in this league(based on his small sample size, which people are basing it off of, and not just random made up opinions that came from thin air like yours).

Please list me all of the "NBA analysts" who think Lin will be an elite-level PG. Prove to me that this isn't an opinion that came from thin air.

My opinions are based on what I've seen from him. He's a turnover prone PG who can barely dribble with his left hand. His shot is streaky at best. For Lin or any other aspiring PG that's just not a good combination.

And answer me this, if his potential as a player ranges from "almost elite" to "elite" level PG, why were the Rockets the only team in the league to offer him a contract? Hell, why didn't the Lakers target Lin instead of Steve Nash!?

Now he has a few valuable qualities (good work ethic, good locker room guy, clutch, decent size & rebounding), but let me ask you this - what on Earth tells you Lin "will become" an elite-level PG after just 26 decent games? How can you tell he'll be just a good starting PG? He barely survived the lockout season!

Just face it: the kid is average.

Once upon a time, Ramon Sessions started & averaged a 11 ppg /11 ast/ 5 reb over 15 games as a rookie. ELITE right? Next Gary Payton right?

I'll give you this - Lin is 23 and has some upside. That's the only thing you're right about.

Can people who do not watch this game just go over to ESPN and comment on their articles please? I'm sick and tired of correcting these casual "Lakers"/sports fan, whatever they like to call themselves. I still hate sports forums cause there's trash like this spewing crap all the time.

:man10: :man10: :man10: Everybody better shape up around here, there's a new sheriff in town, folks! I'm scared!

Roll a blunt and chill the F out son.

(ps. Seriously, calling me ret'ard throughout your post? How old are you?)
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby Kou on Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:35 pm

Jigglin Jello wrote:
Juronimo wrote:Knick fans should be directing their anger at Dolan. They're mad at the wrong person.

Jackpot.

Knicks straight up told Lin to go test the market. Didn't give him an offer. Then Dolan's going to get all butthurt because Houston was smart and offered a contract that would make it unpalatable for the Knicks to match. Lin did what every player should do, go for the money. There's no loyalty in pro sports on the part of team owners, players shouldn't be expected to show any either. It's only us fans who are loyal.

Truth.
NBA 2k9 team:

Fisher/Rose/Watson
Bryant/Wells
Lee/Ariza/Walton
Gasol/Yi
Bynum/Zo
Kou

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:15 am

:man10: MSG stocks falling...93Min 4 days.lol@ Knicks FO
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby jimbo327 on Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:16 am

Seriously, Lin got a great offer, and Knicks had the opportunity to match...but didn't. This is one of those, "I wish Zeke was still running the Knicks" moment because he would have offered Lin the max contract. :man10:

NYKers are just butt hurt because the only reason to watch the Knicks just left for Houston. LOL. Here's to watching many years of 1st round exits for the NYK. They better pray that Felton lost some weight because they are going to boo the crap out of him, Amare, JR, and Carmelo if they go on another one of their patented losing streaks.

Lin got paid, good for him. But I highly doubt that Houston is a good destination for him because they don't know how to build a team. Asik was a huge mistake, and terrible contract. I like Lin, I love his story, and he's a decent player on a good team. I think his passing needs work, but overall, if he had like a Nash to learn from...he would be much better. But going to Houston, he would not learn from any PG vets, and he would be asked to carry the load unfairly. Other teams will now scheme and trap him with the scouting report, and it's tough when your other teammates suck. They can't relieve any pressure from Lin. I sense other teams will try to double Lin as soon as he crossed the half court, which will lead to a lot of turnovers for Lin.
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby abeer3 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:48 am

uh, i've watched lin plenty, and i don't get the hype. good story. decent player. that's it.
abeer3

Postby The Rock on Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:06 pm

Hes been pretty bad in the preseason. Shooting 22% from the field

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby pound4pound1 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:25 pm

The Rock wrote:Hes been pretty bad in the preseason. Shooting 22% from the field

i saw his lowlights last night...back to earth for Lin...at least he got paid
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby FabFourLakers on Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:51 pm

Are u guys seriously putting stock in preseason? He's going to ball this year because he HAS to. There's nobody else on that team. He will put up numbers....yeah sure his FG% will probably be low and TO's high, but he'll still be good for 15-8-4. He'll get it together before the season starts.
FabFourLakers

Postby retro_nights on Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:56 pm

keep in mind hes still recovering from knee surgery
---
Team lakers
retro_nights

Postby thkthebest on Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:31 pm

Lin has been disappointing, but yea, I'd probably reserve judgement until the regular season.

FabFourLakers wrote:Are u guys seriously putting stock in preseason? He's going to ball this year because he HAS to. There's nobody else on that team. He will put up numbers....yeah sure his FG% will probably be low and TO's high, but he'll still be good for 15-8-4. He'll get it together before the season starts.

We'll see, but he won't really ball this year if his FG% goes down and his turnovers go up. One thing I remember thinking about was how he's going to miss Chandler. Running the pnr with Chandler is way different than running the pnr with Asik, who's just going to fumble Lin's passes and create turnovers. Asik doesn't finish nearly as well as Chandler too so that's more attention on Lin.
My signature
thkthebest

Postby The Rock on Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:05 pm

I think Lin will be good in Houston Im just not sure if he'll be great like he was in NY...when Melo and Amare were gone in FEB he put up 21pts, 4 rebs, 8.4 assists on 47% FG. That is some insane numbers. Rockets have a lot of youth on the roster their floor general is someone who should organize that team and put those guys in positions to have success Im not sure if Jeremy is the right fit for them since hes more of a scoring point guard. Heck Lin himself is pretty young he doesn't know what kind of defenses hes gonna face so I dont know if he can replicate the success he had in NY

Heres what Chandler said when Lin left

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2012/10/09/tyson-chandler-jeremy-lin-new-york-knicks-houston-rockets-jason-kidd/1622009/

Chandler told Al Iannazzone of Newsday that "Jeremy was a young point guard who was inexperienced, who brought a great light to the organization. But as far as being able to run the offense and putting players in the right positions he just wasn't there. We got some veteran point guards that are capable of doing that."

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby dj vitus on Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:10 pm

Yeah, I think defenses are starting to figure him out more, kinda like the Hideo Nomo sensation. With no other decent teammates, his FG% will surely go down and his TOs will go up. That's usually the case when one guy is relied upon too much.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby FabFourLakers on Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:37 pm

LOl what game was chandler playing in? I remember Lin was constantly finding Chandler and others in the RIGHT SPOTS while Melo and company were sitting on the sidelines smiling. I think everybody is talking trash on Lin because they know they lost a good player. I hope Lin has a big year....in fact I know he will simply because everybody is already doubting him once again....just like they have his whole career and last year.
FabFourLakers

Postby Forklift on Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:45 pm

as much as i hope Lin will be good player this year because seriously we need more good asian players :man10: . I don't think he will be i have a weird feeling he is going to hit rock bottom and just disappear or be an overpaid bench player i hope i'm wrong though.
Forklift

Postby GinoDB on Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:18 pm

Forklift wrote:as much as i hope Lin will be good player this year because seriously we need more good asian players :man10: . I don't think he will be i have a weird feeling he is going to hit rock bottom and just disappear or be an overpaid bench player i hope i'm wrong though.

Yi is back in China, LIn is all there is now right?
China is bringing old NBA players to them now instead of sending players here
GinoDB

Postby The Rock on Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:09 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7KsuyQb-1Y[/youtube]

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby MadMax on Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:14 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7KsuyQb-1Y[/youtube]
Damn!! You can't ask for a better shot than that!
MadMax

Postby lakersyunowin on Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:48 am

oh man...airball lol
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Finwë on Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:03 am

^^ :man10: saw that. Embarrassing.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby thkthebest on Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:30 am

Wow, that was bad. Lin just continues to embarrass himself against the Heat. They were the ones to shut him down last season.
My signature
thkthebest

Postby bystander on Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:45 am

For the lazy ones,

Rock, the s in https
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby therealdeal on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:22 am

Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."