Linsanity: Career high 38

Linsanity: Career high 38

Postby Finwë on Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:33 pm

IAMAGM.com ‏@IAMAGM
Rockets meeting with Jeremy Lin on Wednesday, set to offer $8 million per year reportedly http://dlvr.it/1pJVJ3

Jeremy Lin will be in Houston on Wednesday meeting with the Houston Rockets front office. At that time, Daryl Morey is prepared to offer a deal averaging at roughly $8 million per year. Where did we get that number from? The Houston Chronicle is reporting that Lin will receive a similar offer to what Goran Dragic declined during his own contract negotiations with the Rockets. On Sunday, an article stated that Goran Dragic had turned down a contract offer averaging $8 million per season.
-------------------------------------

A day after Goran Dragic turned down the Rockets offer to return to Houston, the Rockets set up a meeting on Wednesday in Houston with Knicks’ restricted free agent Jeremy Lin, whom the Rockets released in December after a brief time with the team during training camp, a person with knowledge of the plans said Tuesday. .... According to a person familiar with the Rockets plans, they would offer a contract similar to the deal that Dragic turned down.

I dunno, 8M per seems a bit much for a guy who played, what, 25 games?
Last edited by Finwë on Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Re: Rockets would offer 8M to Jeremy Lin

Postby revgen on Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:42 pm

Makes more sense than the 8 million offered to Asik.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Finwë on Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:52 pm

revgen wrote:Makes more sense than the 8 million offered to Asik.

Well, everything in this world makes more sense than that..
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby TIME on Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:12 pm

After the Nash offer at $12, the Dragic rumor at $9-10, and now this, it may be difficult to sign Sessions for a reasonable amount.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:23 pm

What's up with all these poison pill contracts? :man3:

Is it the new thing in the CBA. Screw teams from their own players by offering ridiculous backloaded contracts. New York has to pony up 14 million in the 3rd season for this guy if they want to keep him.

Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA
It's Omer Asik all over again. If Rockets get Lin, they'd pay him $8 mil per year. If Knicks match, they pay $5 mil, $5.2 mil and $13.8 mil.
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:12 pm

Yep it's the "poison pill" contract again. Year 1: $5.0 Million, Year 2: $5.2 Million, Year 3: $13.8 Million

This kind of contract and it's terms are becoming a lot more common with other teams trying to drive up the price.

Same kind of contract details that are in Landry Fields offer sheet that he just recently signed with the Raptors today.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Finwë on Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:17 pm

And the "star" factor with Lin will be diminished if he's playing in Houston instead of NY IMO. I don't see "Linsanity" happening if he hadn't been playing for one of the largest markets in the country.
Having said that, maybe he could be China's next Yao, who also played for Houston.
Still, not worth 8M per IMO.
Finwë

Postby The Rock on Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:58 pm

New York is gonna match that. They're gonna use Lin in the Chinese market & easily pay off the tax penalties.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:06 pm

23.4 million for Amare
23.5 million for Melo
14.6 million for Chandler

That's 61.5 million for 3 players in that 3rd year of Lin's deal. No way they match that.

Add in 14 million for Lin.......that's 76 million dollars for 4 players. Good luck filling out a roster. And that tax would be insane.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby thkthebest on Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:27 pm

Knicks should try to dump Amare's to the Nets. They seem like they don't take into consideration the contract of the players.
thkthebest

Postby eltoro on Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:15 pm

That's dumb. Why would he be China's next Yao. Their two games are totally, and I mean totally, different.
eltoro

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:27 pm

eltoro wrote:That's dumb. Why would he be China's next Yao. Their two games are totally, and I mean totally, different.

Doc Brown

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:56 am

I thought the new CBA was supposed to lower contracts. It seems like every team is hell-bent on spending their way into the luxury tax. What happens when the small-market teams can't afford to pay the luxury tax? Does LA have to help them out with their overspending?

Sheesh.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby Finwë on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:25 am

Doc Brown wrote:
eltoro wrote:That's dumb. Why would he be China's next Yao. Their two games are totally, and I mean totally, different.

Thanks Doc. :man10:
Finwë

Postby jimbo327 on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:56 am

Houston also have a large Chinese market, thanks to Yao. I say Lin should sign for 8 mil with Houston, and they dump the unhappy Lowry to the Lakers.
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby eltoro on Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:09 am

Dude. Lin is American. He looks like he might be Chinese, but he isn't.
eltoro

Postby FabFourLakers on Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:58 am

eltoro wrote:Dude. Lin is American. He looks like he might be Chinese, but he isn't.

Dude, how old are you? He's Taiwanese-American. He speaks Chinese.....his parents speak Chinese....
FabFourLakers

Postby strikemode14 on Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:51 pm

Doc Brown wrote:23.4 million for Amare
23.5 million for Melo
14.6 million for Chandler

That's 61.5 million for 3 players in that 3rd year of Lin's deal. No way they match that.

Add in 14 million for Lin.......that's 76 million dollars for 4 players. Good luck filling out a roster. And that tax would be insane.

The knicks honestly could care less. They make a ton of money with the MSG network on their side.
Strikemode14 is the greatest.

http://gprime.net/flash.php/postingandyou

]
strikemode14
Forum Manager

Postby D.B. Cooper on Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:41 pm

Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA 21m
Y! Sources: New York's Jeremy Lin agrees to four-year, $28.8M offer sheet with the Houston Rockets. tinyurl.com/boajdgy
D.B. Cooper

Re: Jeremy Lin agrees to 4 year deal with Rockets

Postby Finwë on Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:52 pm

According to Adrian Wojnarowski from Yahoo! Sports:
Jeremy Lin has agreed to sign a four-year, $28.8 million offer sheet with the Houston Rockets, league sources told Yahoo! Sports. .... Houston's four-year offer to Jeremy Lin includes a team option in the fourth year. He would make $5 million in year one, $5.2 million in year two and $9.3 million in each of years three and four.
Finwë

Postby eltoro on Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:44 am

FabFourLakers wrote:
eltoro wrote:Dude. Lin is American. He looks like he might be Chinese, but he isn't.

Dude, how old are you? He's Taiwanese-American. He speaks Chinese.....his parents speak Chinese....

See. This just proves my lint. Lin isn't even Chinese. He is American. His parent aren't Chinese either. I think they are American also,born in Taiwan. And Taiwan is a totally different country than China.
eltoro

Postby jimbo327 on Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:42 am

Lin is pretty smart. Now he's going to get paid either way. And signing the offer sheet pretty much forces NYK's hand to match that offer. Lin is the only thing that saved last years season for the NYK. Do you think they will let Lin walk out the NY after all the hype and celebration??? There would be a collective despair from the NY fans if Lin was going to leave for Houston, and they have to go back to watching Melo and Amare take turns shooting the ball again. I think Spike is going to burn his Knicks jersey if they let Lin go. :man10: NY will match, IMHO.

^Lin is Chinese, get over it.
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby karacha on Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:08 pm

TAIWAN: officially the Republic of China.

About 98% of Taiwan's population is of Han Chinese ethnicity.

I'm not sure what eltoro is trying to say here. :man3:

"...they (Lin's parents) are dual nationals of both Taiwan and the U.S. Lin's paternal family comes from Beidou, Changhua, in Taiwan (his father's distant ancestors immigrated to Taiwan from Zhangpu County, Fujian, in mainland China, in 1707, while his maternal grandmother immigrated to Southern Taiwan in the late 1940s from Pinghu, Zhejiang in mainland China."
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby c.Lin on Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:35 pm

I think eltoro's point is that regardless of whether Taiwan is officially part of the Republic of China, he is still American. He was born in the United States, lives in the US, and has US citizenship.

Back on topic: Lin got paiiiiiiid. I hope he lives up to his contract. He played well during a short stretch last season, but still has a lot to prove. My gut says the Knicks match and he stays in NY.
c.Lin

Postby karacha on Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:36 pm

Of course he is American. He is also Chinese-American. I don't see why all this is even important.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Next

Return to NBA Discussion