Lorenzen Wright found dead RIP

Re: Lorenzen Wright found dead RIP

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:09 am

This article barely got any coverage and that's what made me upset, didn't see it on ESPN and there wasn't a consistent update about it and still isn't. I'd expect it to be done like they did all of the other deceased athletes but they didn't that's completely unfair.
Jazzygirl205

Postby Helljumper on Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:17 am

Damn ... RIP
Helljumper

Postby escobar8 on Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:58 am

RIP...
escobar8

Postby halekulani on Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:31 am

Jazzygirl205 wrote:This article barely got any coverage and that's what made me upset, didn't see it on ESPN and there wasn't a consistent update about it and still isn't. I'd expect it to be done like they did all of the other deceased athletes but they didn't that's completely unfair.

it was on a ticker late last night
pretty sure it'll hit sportscenter tonight.
halekulani

Postby MadMax on Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:23 am

MadMax

Postby mpresev on Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:03 am

RIP
"I smoke but do not inhale"
mpresev

Postby GNC on Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:20 pm

damn that is terrible. :man5:

RIP.
GNC

Postby mpresev on Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:35 pm

I heard it was 12 gun wounds? this is effin nuts... On the yahoo news it says "homicide"
"I smoke but do not inhale"
mpresev

Postby jimbo327 on Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:42 pm

Germantown (Tenn.) police reported they received a 911 call from Wright's cell phone in the early hours of July 19, the Commercial Appeal reported. The newspaper said the dispatched reported hearing a garbled male voice utter an expletive, then at least 10 gunshots.

According to the newspaper, the dispatcher asked if anyone could hear, but got no answer before the phone went dead. The dispatcher called back, but got no answer.

Sad. He was probably robbed. But it is highly likely with foul play because shooting someone 10+ times seems excessive. RIP.
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby kray28 on Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:02 pm

mpresev wrote:I heard it was 12 gun wounds? this is effin nuts... On the yahoo news it says "homicide"

No duh. How can getting shot 10+ times not be a homicide?
kray28

Postby kray28 on Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:05 pm

jimbo327 wrote:
Germantown (Tenn.) police reported they received a 911 call from Wright's cell phone in the early hours of July 19, the Commercial Appeal reported. The newspaper said the dispatched reported hearing a garbled male voice utter an expletive, then at least 10 gunshots.

According to the newspaper, the dispatcher asked if anyone could hear, but got no answer before the phone went dead. The dispatcher called back, but got no answer.

Sad. He was probably robbed. But it is highly likely with foul play because shooting someone 10+ times seems excessive. RIP.

Incompetent 911 dispatcher and incompetent cops. How can there not be immediate police followup to heard gunshots on a 911 call?

1. They knew his number, and could have traced the cell account to him immediately.
2. If they didn't know his wherabouts, they could have pinged him phone to locate it (but didn't...because they are incompetent).

Meanwhile, the killer got away.
kray28

Postby halekulani on Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:04 pm

they say it wasn't debt related but...
http://www.memphisdailynews.com/editori ... x?id=42454
halekulani

Postby Basketball Fan on Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:28 pm

kray28 wrote:
jimbo327 wrote:

Incompetent 911 dispatcher and incompetent cops. How can there not be immediate police followup to heard gunshots on a 911 call?

1. They knew his number, and could have traced the cell account to him immediately.
2. If they didn't know his wherabouts, they could have pinged him phone to locate it (but didn't...because they are incompetent).

I know this is unPC but I really don't think they cared because well they probably assumed it was black on black crime and its was "Whatever"

Honestly that 911 dispatcher should be fired for being so irresponsible.
Basketball Fan

Postby L8KERS4LIFE on Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:39 am

kray28 wrote:
jimbo327 wrote:

The man is dead and you want to make some assumption about what the 911 operator did or didnt do......just stop!! They will investigate everything. First you don't know if the killer was black or what color the 911 dispatcher was so don't jump to any conclusions. They could have done those things maybe they did, maybe they didn't who really knows. The only thing you(WE) can do is PRAY for the family. That would help the most!!
L8KERS4LIFE

Postby kray28 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:25 am

I didn't say anything with regards to the killer's race....I pointed out the obvious issue though .

1. 911 Dispatcher hears gunshots during 911 call.
2. Calls number back and gets no answer.
3. Cops don't find the body for six days.

See a problem here?

Current technology allows law enforcement to:

1. Know the owner of a phone/SIM card/cell account in seconds. That's how the dispatcher knew to call him back immediately.

2. Ping the location of a phone (with the help of the cell carrier) and locate the phone itself. Cell phone was found on body.

Basically the dispatcher and the cops went to sleep on a murder that occurred on a 911 call. The dispatcher is basically a witness to the murder itself.
kray28

Postby gcclaker on Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:29 am

RIP to Wright. I remember his good play as a Clipper.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakeshow24 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:00 pm

This is a wack situation. In all likelihood there would have been no saving him, that's why there were some 10-12 shots, but at the same time the 911 dispatcher and police are idiots. They may have been able to find the killer.

And for somebody associated with Wright to be blaming his ex-wife... that's strong leads right there. But she needs to not be talking to the media either, because it is interfering with police investigations.

RIP Lorenzen Wright.
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Postby hollywood swinger on Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:56 pm

now if his wife got a face to face threat from these guy's and she didn't warn him that is beyond grimey & suspicious. i wonder if she even told him that some people with guns were looking for him before he even flew back to memphis?

article below:

Wright's ex-wife got threatening visit

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- Three armed men looking for Lorenzen Wright showed up at the home of the former NBA player's ex-wife about six weeks before he was found shot to death, an attorney said Friday.

Lawyer Gail Mathes said her client, Sherra Wright, was afraid for herself and her children, so she kept quiet about the encounter until Monday. She then alerted police in the Memphis suburb of Collierville.

The men, dressed in sport coats with weapons in view, threatened Sherra Wright and her family if she told anyone about the visit, Mathes said. The attorney's account was first reported by The Commercial Appeal.

Lorenzen Wright's body was found Wednesday in the woods in southeast Memphis. He had been missing since July 18, when he left his ex-wife's house around midnight with an unidentified person.

Meanwhile, police in the Memphis suburb of Germantown are reviewing how a 911 call from Wright's cell phone was handled.

Rodney Bright, Germantown's deputy police chief, said department officials did not know about the call until Tuesday, eight days after it was received by a dispatcher in the early morning hours of July 19.

Bright says he can't discuss details of the call, which has been turned over to Memphis police.

The Commercial Appeal, which first reported the call, said a garbled male voice on the call can be heard using an expletive, and then as many as a dozen gunshots are heard in succession.

The 6-foot-11 Wright played 13 seasons in the NBA for the Los Angeles Clippers, Atlanta Hawks, Memphis Grizzlies, Sacramento Kings and most recently the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Wright left the University of Memphis early for the NBA, and the Clippers made him a lottery pick with the No. 7 selection overall.

He averaged 8 points and 6.4 rebounds in 778 career games.

Wright leaves behind six children, his mother, Deborah Marion, and his father, Herb Wright, who coached his son from a wheelchair after he was shot in the spine. Lorenzen Wright's 11-month-old daughter, Sierra, died in March 2003 of sudden infant death syndrome.

Longtime friend Kevin Nelson remembered Wright as a well-meaning person who treated people with respect.

"He was a people person, he never met a stranger," Nelson said. "It really hit us hard."

Nearly 200 people had turned up Wednesday at the crime scene after hearing that police might have found Wright's body. Among them was former NBA star Penny Hardaway, who played at Memphis two years before Wright and heard the news from a friend.

"I cried. The emotions hit me immediately. It's just sad because we lost a good person and a brother," Hardaway said.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
hollywood swinger

Postby Basketball Fan on Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:02 pm

There's going to be a public memorial for him in Memphis
Basketball Fan

Postby Basketball Fan on Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:27 am

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/20 ... wn-police/

The mother of murdered former NBA player Lorenzen Wright lashed out Friday at Germantown police for the handling of a 911 call that came in from his cell phone the night he died.

"They did drop the ball," said Deborah Marion. "How do you call 911 and hear shots and nobody reacts?

"You know, when my grandkids one time was playing on the phone and they called 911, three police showed up at my house. I'm like, 'What are y'all looking for?' They said, 'Well, we've got a 911 hang-up over here.'

"How do three police show up for a 911 hang-up, but nobody does anything when you have a 911 and shots? Somebody's got to answer for this. I want somebody prosecuted because this is not right."

Germantown police have begun an administrative review to sort out how the call was handled and compare those actions to departmental procedures. Officials took statements Friday from dispatchers on duty during the early morning hours of July 19.

Sources have told The Commercial Appeal that as many as a dozen gunshots can be heard on a recording of a call that came in from a cell phone in Wright's possession that night. A male voice can be heard uttering an expletive on the call and then rapid gunfire.

For more than a week, according to sources, suburban police did not make the connection between the 911 call and Wright's disappearance.

According to a missing person's report filed by Wright's mother, he was last seen leaving his former wife's house in Collierville on Whisperingwood Drive in the early morning hours of July 19.

On July 22, Wright's family reported him missing to Collierville police. For days, officials there said they did not believe "foul play" was involved.

The newspaper hasn't been able to determine who owned the cell phone and, as a result, how it registered at the 911 center. The dispatcher called the number back, but no one answered.

"We're just looking at how that call was processed," said Deputy Chief Rodney Bright of the Germantown Police Department.

"The bottom line is we want to look at that internally, but externally we want to do everything we can to support MPD in finding who is responsible for the homicide. That's the most important thing right now."

The 911 recording itself has been turned over to the Memphis Police Department as evidence in a criminal investigation. MPD officials confirmed Wright's cause of death as homicide by gunshot wound.

A cadaver dog found Wright's remains nine days after he went missing atop a small hill just short of a wooded area near Hack Cross and Winchester roads. His body was initially hidden from view by thick brush.

Memphis Police Director Larry Godwin said Friday investigators prefer to secure a crime scene as soon as possible to preserve evidence.

"The longer you wait, the more chances just through natural causes that the evidence could be affected," he said, though he has no indication that evidence was lost in this case.

Homicide detectives recovered evidence from the scene, but Godwin declined to give details. He expects a briefing from investigators Monday.

Curious onlookers and fans milled Friday afternoon near what was the crime scene.

A pizza delivery man slowed down to look at the news cameras. A pest control worker parked his truck and walked back with a half dozen strangers to look at the spot where a hometown hero fell. One woman brought her grade-school-aged son to look at the black outline where Wright's body had been.

Wright's mother was at home, sifting through boxes of old photos of her son with relatives. She had tried a day earlier to visit the site herself, but a detective warned her she might not want to go. At first she insisted she needed to walk her son's last steps.

Halfway across the field, she couldn't go any farther.

"I got weak," she said. "I got nervous when he was telling me there was a gruesome scene."

She might try again another day.
Basketball Fan

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:12 pm

I frequent another forum consistently and little inside sources have been coming in and out giving little tidbits linking the ex to his death I don't know if I want to post it here or not because well, people probably won't believe it anyway and probably don't care lol!!
Jazzygirl205

Postby Basketball Fan on Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:46 pm

She's been arrested

http://www.memphisrap.com/index.php?t=article&m=1030

Lorenzen Wright's Wife Sherra Arrested In Connection To His Murder
published: 08/01/10 22:00:15
by: Sports Junkie
View Sports Junkie's blog posts

After free agent NBA player Lorenzen Wright was reported missing, it seemed to a lot of people including his mother that something didn't seem right.

On July 19, that would be the last day anyone would see Lorenzen Wright, 34, alive, who was later reported missing on July 22nd by his mother, as covered on MemphisRap.com on last week.

Although the public wouldn't know until later, 911 dispatchers received a phone call from Lorenzen Wright's cell phone and about 10 gun shots where heard and a man speaking expletives, as reported on HipHopRX.com.

Almost 10 days later, Lorenzen Wright's body was discovered in a wooded area near the Fieldstone Apartments off Hacks Cross revealing the whereabouts of his body.

His wife Sherra Wright, 39, later came and told authorities that men came to her home looking for Lorenzen Wright and guns could be visibly seen. To bring even more to the story, according to ABC 24, Sherra Wright's neighbors reported to authorities that soon after Lorenzen Wright was reported missing, a huge fire from a grill could be seen burning and it was unusual since it was on one of the hottest nights of the year.

On Sunday, authorities spent the day searching through Sherra Wright's possessions including the grill that is believed to may have been used to hide evidence.

According to Sherra Wright's attorney Gail Mathes, her client had no reason to want Lorenzen Wright dead because she needed him for support.

In related news, Internet users are speaking amongst themselves alleging that Sherra Wright confessed to the murder.
Basketball Fan

Postby lakerproduct on Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:57 pm

Ooh wow thats shady. :disagree:
BlackMamba Strikes!
lakerproduct

Postby Lakeshow24 on Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:04 pm

Yeah... because Internet message board posters are the most believable sources of information!
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Postby hollywood swinger on Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:06 pm

wow! what a grimey dog! did it for life insurance probably. bet it also turns up she had a loser current boy friend help her mastermind & do it.
the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
hollywood swinger

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion