Lorenzen Wright found dead RIP

Re: Lorenzen Wright found dead RIP

Postby hollywood swinger on Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:06 pm

wow! what a grimey dog! did it for life insurance probably. bet it also turns up she had a loser current boy friend help her mastermind & do it.
the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
hollywood swinger

Postby Jon on Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:10 pm

What would be her motive? Lorenzo was her financial support. I guess she wanted all of the assets to herself and greed got the worst of her. I still can't think of any motives that she would be involved.
Jon

Postby Basketball Fan on Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:14 pm

Lakeshow24 wrote:Yeah... because Internet message board posters are the most believable sources of information!

Normally I agree but they originally got it from the Local Memphis news and MSNBC did a small report on it

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/38515734/ ... ayer_news/

According to CW30 Eyewitness News out of Memphis, the ex-wife of slain former NBA player Lorenzen Wright, Sherra Wright, is currently in police custody in connection with his murder.

Detectives spent most of Sunday at her house assessing, among other things, a grill and fire pit that neighbors reported was used after his disappearance. According to them the fire was large and unusual because it occurred on the hottest night of the year. Sherra claimed to be the last one to see him since he was found murdered on Wednesday.
Basketball Fan

Postby Basketball Fan on Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:16 pm

Jon wrote:What would be her motive? Lorenzo was her financial support. I guess she wanted all of the assets to herself and greed got the worst of her. I still can't think of any motives that she would be involved.

Its rumored that she was involved in some shady dealings(drugs) and Lorenzen was going to sue for custody of the kids not to mention make sure she wouldn't get access to his $$$ in case anything were to happen to him.

If that's the case what a bitter irony because those kids end up losing both their parents.
Basketball Fan

Postby Lakeshow24 on Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:12 am

What's also unusual is that only 2.5 days go by and the family is already reporting him missing. That's an indication of a very close-knit family, and an eerie feeling of distrust Lorenzen's immediate family had of his ex-wife.

Wack.
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Postby JSM on Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:31 pm

Very sad news. I met Wright a few times. Around town in Memphis back when I lived there. Then at a team autograph signing when he was with the Hawks. Nice guy and seemed to be generous and appreciative of his fans.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Basketball Fan on Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:01 pm

http://www.wlbt.com/Global/story.asp?S=13014944

Lorenzen Wright's personal assistant says she was slandered, files lawsuits
Posted: Aug 19, 2010 5:14 PM Updated: Aug 19, 2010 6:44 PM
Click image to enlarge
Related Links

Ex-wife says Lorenzen Wright left with drugs the night he died
Search warrant details what police looked Wright's ex-wife's home
Thousands say goodbye to Lorenzen Wright at memorial service

Most Popular Stories
Naked man discovered under interstate in Jackson
Gas tanker truck overturns on Hwy 49 south of Florence
Teen involved in fatal wreck not charged with crime
MS elected official's car parked in handicap space without proper decal
5 USM football players involved in car wreck
Man killed in a three wheeler wreck
Three children charged with raping Memphis toddler
Woman killed in Lakeland Drive accident
Update: Man charged with attempting to rape student near school
Three Lake schools closed Monday due to storm damage

By Anna Marie Hartman - bio | email

MEMPHIS, TN (WMC-TV) - Wendy Wilson, who said she was Lorenzen Wright's former assistant, said she has been slandered since the day Wright's body was found.

"This is asinine," Wilson said. "It's really going to hurt them and not me."

Wilson filed lawsuits against three people in Chancery Court Thursday. She said her comments about Wright's death have resulted in a barrage of media misconceptions.

"It's going to stop here," Wilson said.

Wilson's troubles began when she showed up at the crime scene the day Wright's body was found and suggested investigators should question Wright's ex-wife, Sherra Wright.

"I mean, she saw him last," Wilson said. "The stories have changed. She went to bed at 10, woke up at 11, he wasn't there. I mean, what is really going on?"

Wilson said within days, radio talk show host Thaddeus Matthews gave his listeners her cell phone number.

"He used means of intimidation via large airwaves and had people call and threaten me and put me in a bad light," Wilson said. "And all I did was tell the truth."

Matthews admitted he gave out Wilson's number.

"To me, her lawsuit is frivolous," Matthews said. "And all I'd tell her to do is bring it on."

Wilson is suing Gail Mathes, Sherra Wright's divorce attorney, for $2.5 million for comments she made. She is also suing Commercial Appeal columnist Geoff Calkins for $1.5 million for what he has written about her.

Wilson said her personal knowledge of Wright's relationship with his ex-wife has helped with the investigation.

"I was the former personal assistant to Lorenzen Wright and I gave facts that were very helpful in this investigation," Wilson said. "No one has to tell me that, God has told me that."

All three people named in Wilson's lawsuits have 30 days to answer to her complaints, which should officially become public record tomorrow.

Mathes and Calkins did not return calls Thursday
Basketball Fan

Postby Lakeshow24 on Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:20 am

So this is getting even juicier...

Such a damn shame though, for a tragic death to occur like this to anybody. Devastating news.
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Postby Basketball Fan on Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:53 pm

Its nowhere close to over
Basketball Fan

Postby d.James on Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:02 pm

This is such a tragic story. Wright was in the prime of his life, if his wife did have something to do with it, it's all the more tragic. What about the six children caught in between? So tragic. How can you explain this story to a grade-schooler following the league? Eddie Griffin, Bison Dele, and Lorenzen Wright. Just some tragic deaths around the NBA.

Rest in Peace, LW.
With expectation comes responsibility. Respect is earned. When opportunity arises, preparation will calm nerves, inspire confidence, and help you to realize the moment. Where there is failure is a blueprint of how to improve. To fail to learn, even with talent, makes you ordinary. To learn from all experiences is to learn to become the best.
www.facebook.com/loudaboutbasketball
d.James
Clublakers Rep: Pistons

Postby Basketball Fan on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:24 am

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/20 ... s-spending

Wright family court battle exposes ex's spending spree » The Commercial Appeal
right family court battle exposes ex's spending spree

Her spending was brisk and prodigious — $32,000 for a Cadillac Escalade; $26,000 for a Lexus; $69,000 on an assortment of furniture; $11,750 for a trip to New York; $339,000 to buy and improve a new house; $7,100 for a deposit on a swimming pool; $5,000 for lawn equipment; $277 for dinner and a movie; $34,000 on lawyers.

All within 10 months.

But what angers one family member is that Sherra Robinson Wright, ex-wife of the late NBA player Lorenzen Wright, spent the money from life insurance proceeds a judge said was to support the couple's six children.

In all, Sherra Wright received a little more than $1 million in life insurance proceeds 14 months after Lorenzen Wright's still-unsolved 2010 murder. By last September — ten months later — she'd spent $973,000.

That spending, reflected in a recently filed report in Shelby County Circuit Court, has touched off legal battles in two courtrooms for control of what's left in the estate of the Memphis basketball legend who earned more than $55 million over 14 seasons in the NBA yet died facing a severely restricted income and mounting debt.

Records show Sherra Wright directed much of her spending at her children — a 5,300 square-foot-home acquired last June in east Shelby County is titled in the name of a trust for her four sons and two daughters, for example — yet Herb Wright, Lorenzen's father, believes Sherra is not making sound choices and is not acting in his grandchildrens' best interest.

"She had no authority to spend that money like that,'' said Ruby Wharton, Herb Wright's attorney. The generally reserved Wharton said she won't litigate the case in the newspaper but when a reporter called last week she noted the report on Sherra Wright's spending — a "bombshell,'' Wharton called it — triggered prompt action.

The spending report filed in September in Circuit Court as a follow-up to Lorenzen and Sherra's February 2010 divorce prompted Probate Court Judge Robert S. Benham to appoint a guardian ad litem in October to investigate the Wright children's circumstances.

Neither Sherra Wright nor her attorney, Aubrey L. Brown, could be reached for comment. In a Jan. 11 appeal, however, Sherra Wright contends Benham overstepped his authority.

Despite her spending, Sherra Wright's report indicates the family remains financially strong, listing nearly $1.4 million in remaining "assets on hand,'' most of it involving the house in east Shelby County and three investment properties in Arkansas.

Benham's Oct. 12 ruling not only appointed a guardian but also steered guardianship of a second pot of money — $184,000 in death benefits paid by the NBA — to Herb Wright for the benefit of the six Wright children. Although Herb Wright will oversee the funds, Benham temporarily froze the assets.

The decision was improper, in part, because Herb Wright has a history of mismanaging his son's finances, Sherra Wright argued in legal filings. Those papers recount testimony by Herb Wright last fall in which he reportedly said he had "no particular experience'' in financial management and that his involvement in his son's affairs "had been limited to writing checks and paying bills, at his son's direction.''

"He denied ever writing any checks from the account to himself or for his benefit, and he denied ever misappropriating any of his son's funds. He admitted that his son had discharged him and he had therefore ceased handling any of his son's financial matters before his son's death,'' attorney Brown said in the filing in behalf of Sherra Wright.

The filing also indicates Sherra Wright testified "to the level of distrust that existed between her and ... Herb Wright. She testified Lorenzen Wright distrusted his father and as a result removed his father from any control over his accounts and finances.''

Reached by phone, Herb Wright declined comment saying only, "We'll be going back to court.''

Concerns over Sherra Wright's spending stem from a Permanent Parenting Plan filed in January 2010 in connection with her divorce suit against Lorenzen Wright. That plan required Lorenzen to maintain a $1 million life insurance policy for the benefit of his sons and daughters to pay their support in the event of his death.

The divorce was finalized in February 2010. Five months later, Wright's decomposed body was found in a wooded area in southeast Memphis; he'd been shot multiple times. The murder remains unsolved 2-1/2 years later.

All State Insurance honored the $1 million policy, paying $1,033,793 in September 2011. Sherra Wright's spending took off a month later, records show, with a series of furniture purchases, various renovations on investment property in Arkansas as well as children's expenses, including clothing, food and school expenses.

The Permanent Parenting Plan relied on a 2009 temporary child support order requiring Lorenzen Wright to pay $16,650 a month in support and another $10,000 a month in alimony to Sherra — $319,800 a year. At the time, Wright's NBA career was winding down and he left the league after the 2008-09 season. The parenting plan references a "contract pending'' but a review of the court file suggests no adjustment was ever made after Wright's career ended and his income dwindled. He acted as his own attorney in the case.

Herb Wright contended in an October 2011 filing that "Sherra continues to overspend and to live in a similar style when the parties were together,'' contending that a budget of $4,800 a month in support should be fixed.
Basketball Fan

Previous

Return to NBA Discussion