Luke Walton: Legendary "Appreciation" Thread

Re: I honestly don't get the Luke Walton hate...

Postby borri on Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:20 pm

Sigh....man you guys are are preaching in futility....to deaf ears.

One would imagine after watching Luke play for us for the last what 4 years that people would realize that he just plain sucks.

Yet we still see this thread. The same people backing him. Its obvious that they are seeing something completely different from what we've seen on TV. Seriously, there's been more LO converts (supporters who has given up on LO being the player they thought he would be) than Puke converts.
borri

Postby GNC on Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:23 pm

borri wrote:Sigh....man you guys are are preaching in futility....to deaf ears.

One would imagine after watching Luke play for us for the last what 4 years that people would realize that he just plain sucks.

Yet we still see this thread. The same people backing him. Its obvious that they are seeing something completely different from what we've seen on TV. Seriously, there's been more LO converts (supporters who has given up on LO being the player they thought he would be) than Puke converts.

and the pathetic thing seems to be his biggest fan/backer right now is phil jackson

i respect phil and everything he has done.. but this is just :freak2:
GNC

Postby The Original 81 on Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:24 pm

I will not sleep until I'm no longer forced to watch Luke Theodore Walton on a daily basis.

...Basically I'm never sleeping again.
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

Postby kray28 on Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:24 pm

borri wrote:Sigh....man you guys are are preaching in futility....to deaf ears.

Comparing Lamar Odom to Luke is an insult to Lamar Odom and rest of humanity.
kray28

Postby DarthRekal on Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:25 pm

The Original 81 wrote:I will not sleep until I'm no longer forced to watch Luke Theodore Walton on a daily basis.

...Basically I'm never sleeping again.

yeah you should just grow a beard or something :man10:
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em
DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:28 pm

Vlad might be dumb, and he was . . . but he was a legit starting SF. I was hardly ever happier in the past couple years than the start of this season when Walton was third string. That was sheer joy for me. I hope letting Vlad go does not come back to haunt us down the line. I wish they had made that kind of cost cutting in the summer. Oh well. I'll miss the big lug. Luke is just as dumb as Vlad,if not dumber, and he's nowhere near the talent. The only thing I'll give Walton is he's a better defender against Pierce than Vlad is. By a long shot. Otherwise Luke drives me insane.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby GNC on Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:33 pm

Lakerjones wrote:Vlad might be dumb, and he was . . . but he was a legit starting SF. I was hardly ever happier in the past couple years than the start of this season when Walton was third string. That was sheer joy for me. I hope letting Vlad go does not come back to haunt us down the line. I wish they had made that kind of cost cutting in the summer. Oh well. I'll miss the big lug. Luke is just as dumb as Vlad,if not dumber, and he's nowhere near the talent. The only thing I'll give Walton is he's a better defender against Pierce than Vlad is. By a long shot. Otherwise Luke drives me insane.

:man10: dumb&dumber.
GNC

Postby Vasashi17 on Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:33 pm

Luke made mistakes, but to pin our defensive woes on him alone is absolutely ridiculous. I think Luke forced one too many passes and it resulted in unforced turnovers. I was upset at his offensive decision making in this game, cause its there where Luke excels for this team (not his man defense).

Our perimeter and team defense was atrocious. That goes on our team...not just Luke.

Some of the comments made after this loss are just coming from frustration. You look at what the Lakers have done till this point, and you can't help but applaud their efforts in a game that they should have been blown out in due to the team's collective fatigue. That was apparent through and through tonight. Our guys need and deserve a good break.

And apparently so do some of our fans. Sheesh.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:35 pm

I look at Luke how I use to look at Odom, with SURPISE/SHOCK anytime he takes and actually makes a perimeter shot.
khmrP

Postby Kobe#2 on Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:04 pm

To the OP:

Because he sucks and makes our team worse. Nothing more need be said than that. And that's not debatable.
Kobe#2

Postby Kobe#2 on Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:08 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:Luke made mistakes, but to pin our defensive woes on him alone is absolutely ridiculous. I think Luke forced one too many passes and it resulted in unforced turnovers. I was upset at his offensive decision making in this game, cause its there where Luke excels for this team (not his man defense).

Our perimeter and team defense was atrocious. That goes on our team...not just Luke.

Some of the comments made after this loss are just coming from frustration. You look at what the Lakers have done till this point, and you can't help but applaud their efforts in a game that they should have been blown out in due to the team's collective fatigue. That was apparent through and through tonight. Our guys need and deserve a good break.

And apparently so do some of our fans. Sheesh.

Amen brother. :bow:
Kobe#2

Postby sugi942 on Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:17 pm

I think it's a stretch to say Luke caused the loss. But he sure didn't help the cause... He appeared to be thinking too much out there AGAIN.
sugi942

Postby khmrP on Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:26 pm

[quote="sugi942"]I think it's a stretch to say Luke caused the loss. But he sure didn't help the cause... He appeared to be thinking too much out there AGAIN.[/quote]

thought IQ involved thinking and was his strong suit? :what:
khmrP

Postby sugi942 on Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:32 pm

Well, he may know the equation, but he's getting brain lock and coming up with the wrong answer.
sugi942

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:29 am

As mentioned before - "High Bball IQ" is just a euphemism for "Slow and Unathletic."
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby kray28 on Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:36 am

Last 4 games.... 4.0 PPG 3.0 RPG 31% shooting in 26 minutes per game...

In tonight's game, he was brutal. He posted a help value of 3 and prod of .28. Lowest of anybody on the team when you consider both stats.
To compare, Lamar led the team with a help value of 20 and Kobe led the team in prod with a 1.23.

But Luke has b-ball IQ. That's why he starts.
kray28

Postby Blasta_Masta8 on Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:55 am

For someone with a high bball IQ he's been jumping in the air and looking the pass. Its either been causing turnovers or near turnovers. Its so damn frustrating...
Blasta_Masta8

Postby CarolinaLakerFan on Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:40 am

Luke scores 2, while the guy he's guarding scores 17. When is enough, enough? When is Phil going to bench this guy? He is by far the WORST starting SF in the entire NBA. We will not win a NBA Finals Series with this clown starting for us. Watching him play is just :bang:
Magic Johnson: The most complete player in NBA history!
CarolinaLakerFan

Postby ShaqDieselLaker on Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:10 am

If you saw the game last night, there wouldn't be much to think about. Luke Walton is a bonafide bum. His passing is overrated and so is his so called IQ. Some people that play video games all day long have high IQs but that doesn't mean they should be starting for the LA Lakers.

Luke has been playing in LA for several years now along with Kobe. The guy knows the offense and still makes the most stupid moves. He gets about 10-15 open jumpers per game and yet he might try one or two which he is more likely to miss.

Wouldn't this guy know that he should be working on his jump shot? Let's be honest, Luke knows how to get what he wants out of PJ. Luke Walton is D-league player, still has no consistent jumper, overrated passer, questionable BB "IQ", and he is slow as heck on defense. It makes no sense why the best team in the league has the worst starting SF as well. Not all can be perfect, I suppose.
Derek Fisher is the heart and soul of this team- Kobe(Black Mamba)
When we win it, it's going to taste much sweeter knowing I played with the injury- Andrew(Lionheart)
Tomorrow is another opportunity to accomplish great things- Pau(Pauwer)
Ron Artest is the Game 7 MVP- Phil(Zen Master)
Q:Pierce says series isn't coming back to LA? A: [Mean Stare]- Derek(President)
If we don't win the championship, it's my fault- Ron(Tru Warier)
ShaqDieselLaker

Location: Sorry Boston, the championship trophy belongs in LA

Postby OchoX3 on Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:09 am

kray28 wrote:But Luke has b-ball IQ. That's why he starts.

To say Luke sucks would be too nice. Mitch has a week to wave his wand.
OchoX3

Postby John3:16 on Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:18 am

kray28 wrote:Luke has b-ball IQ. That's why he starts.

Which translates into:

kray28 wrote:Last 4 games.... 4.0 PPG 3.0 RPG 31% shooting in 26 minutes per game...

:bang:
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby kray28 on Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:38 am

OchoX3 wrote:

To say Luke sucks would be too nice. Mitch has a week to wave his wand.

Nothing will happen...no one wants Luke.
kray28

Postby Congo Cash on Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:08 am

How about Utah? He's white... :man10:
- insert signature here -
Congo Cash

Postby RushDelivery on Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:32 am

This is a point we agree with. Luke's high basketball IQ is a myth and nothing more. When he's on the court he takes way too much time to decide anything due to his insistence on over-thinking every situation.

On defense, he's far too slow at reacting to the man he's defending, often resulting in an easy basket or a wide open shot. On offense, he holds the ball way too long deciding what to do, which gives the defense a chance to seal off the post pass while sagging off of him and clogging the passing lanes. This often results in a poor pass and a turnover, or forces Luke to try and shoot which is to the other team's advantage 9 out of 10 times.

If he could just make decisions more quickly like Kobe, then he could cut down his turnovers and not give up too many open shots or layups. This isn't likely to happen anytime soon.

Now having said this, Luke wasn't the only reason why the Lakers lost. It takes a team effort to win, and it also takes a team effort to lose. The entire team seemed allergic to defense the entire game, and the fact that they gave up 113 points in regulation is a testament to their lack of defense. Luke contributed to that, but he's not alone in making mistakes.

To suggest this loss is mostly due to Luke is just using him as a scapegoat/whipping boy to make it appear as if there's an easy explanation for the loss and hence an easy solution to prevent future breakdowns against inferior teams.
"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." - Frederic Bastiat
RushDelivery

Postby LoyalLakerfan44 on Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:38 am

CarolinaLakerFan wrote:Luke scores 2, while the guy he's guarding scores 17. When is enough, enough? When is Phil going to bench this guy? He is by far the WORST starting SF in the entire NBA. We will not win a NBA Finals Series with this clown starting for us. Watching him play is just :bang:

Exactly I don't care how much IQ you have it's not going to make the difference. Walton's other weaknesses are so great that even if he was Einstein it would still not make a difference. I simply don't know what Phil in the Lakers see in this guy. The outside pressures from his father must be very high to keep him in the starting line-up.
LoyalLakerfan44

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion