T-Mac considered retiring

T-Mac considered retiring

Postby JSM on Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:05 pm

Here's a story I found, I couldn't believe it.

Orlando Sentinel: he Orlando Magic lost their sixth consecutive game Saturday night, but at least Tracy McGrady says he's stopped thinking outrageous thoughts.

"Over the last five games, I've had some crazy thoughts, man," McGrady said. "I was thinking that after this year, I'm done with basketball.

"Done with basketball, period. That's how frustrated I've been."

McGrady said he even had questioned whether he had lost his "passion for it. ... if I lost my love for the game.

"But I realize I have too much pride for this to be going on," he said, speaking of his struggles as well as the team's.

"I'm taking it day to day. I'll do my best and put this team on my back."

T-Mac's still finding points hard to come by after being held to four points, tying a career low with the Magic, in a 100-71 loss to the Minnesota Timberwolves on Friday night.

"We took a step forward," McGrady said.

"My guys kept us in the game, even when I'm in a slump, and that's what we have to do."

Rivers said he had a long talk with McGrady, and T-Mac mentioned early retirement.

Rivers dismissed it, adding, "Yeah, T-Mac told me that.

"When you're struggling, you think the world's coming to an end. We forget he's 24.

"This is probably the best lesson for him in his young career."

But what a painful one.
Last edited by JSM on Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby rydjorker121 on Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:31 pm

I know, it's sad for T-Mac...nice find by the way...T-Mac's team is 1-6, all because he's the only guy that does something for them...but lately he's been really struggling with his shot, especially against Minnesota and Houston...and that forces the offensive options to go to our always-and-former Laker, Tyronn Lue, who seems to shoot over 50% from the field and like 48% from threes...but because of his offensive punch he can't really pass...so Drew Gooden and Juwan Howard aren't getting their appropriate shot selection...and who is this guy, REECE GAINES, anyway? He is a rookie, but he's not worth a 15th pick, James Buell says in HoopsWorld, he would probably be the next Jeryl Sasser bust. T-Mac is just delirious and crazy right now, because some guy's say Doc Rivers's job is in jeopardy, losing like hell, losing by 29 points, and guys like Grant Hill and Pat Garrity look like lost causes. Britton Johnsen hasn't done much as a starter, and unproven guys Keith Bogans and Zaza Pachulia look awful...Steven Hunter may as well be a loser. Shammond Williams is adequate but not much of a passer...so this team, contrary to all the hype I thought it gave me in the preseason (I thought they were even gonna make the Eastern Conference finals)...looks a little off-balance. T-Mac should try to look for a trade, but his love lies for South Florida, unfortunately...such a shame.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby Guest on Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:41 pm

Tracy McGrady - 21.4 ppg
Tyronn Lue - 15.7 ppg
Juwan Howard - 14.1 ppg
Drew Gooden - 13.0 ppg

And then they got 5 guys putting up 5-6 ppg. They're not that bad. The players are putting up the numbers, what lacks is their 4th quarters.

Also you have to take into consideration that Pat Garrity, Donnell Harvey, and Reece Gaines are injured.

Postby FabFourLakers on Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:44 pm

wow and i JUST posted something about Orlando struggling....this is REALLY bad!! i mean who woudla thot Orlando would start 1-6 and tha Jazz would be 4-2? WHO WOULDA THOT THA MAGIC WOULD LOSE FIVE STRAIGHT HOME GAMES?!
FabFourLakers

Postby Guest on Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:45 pm

I give Doc Rivers another month..

Postby FabFourLakers on Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:53 pm

Posto wrote:I give Doc Rivers another month..

ENTER ISIAH THOMAS
FabFourLakers

Postby Guest on Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:03 pm

oh yeah. It could happen.

Postby Guest on Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:24 pm

I feel bad for McGrady and everything but why couldn't he had struggled last year so Kobe could get the scoring title..

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:38 am

So after a couple of disapointing games, he thinks he lost passion for the game? Gimme a break. All players have their slumps, and just because he's not performin the way he's like, he wants to retire? And his team has been pullin through, the way they need too. And he's there takin shots, and brickin. This is a team game, not a one man team. He NEEDS to lay off the shots, and be a team leader. It's a shame that he's willing to give up on these circumstances. He has no drive or will what so ever. :man5:
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:27 am

:disagree:
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby FabFourLakers on Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:29 am

LakersGyrl2003 wrote:So after a couple of disapointing games, he thinks he lost passion for the game? Gimme a break. All players have their slumps, and just because he's not performin the way he's like, he wants to retire? And his team has been pullin through, the way they need too. And he's there takin shots, and brickin. This is a team game, not a one man team. He NEEDS to lay off the shots, and be a team leader. It's a shame that he's willing to give up on these circumstances. He has no drive or will what so ever. :man5:

I AGREE 100%!!! Somebody had to say it sooner or later! i mean look at KOBE!!! He is goin thru a TOUGH time right now, and mcgrady was runnin' his mouth tha whole summer, acting like he knew how to handle NBA life, and now look at him! He is talkin like a pathetic loser who has no passion! How can u lose tha love for tha game that quickly? Just cuz ur team is losing and ur doin a crappy job isnt an excuse to RETIRE....

Mcgrady will be back...he WILL be back
FabFourLakers

Postby Roscoe on Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:38 pm

T-Mac is just frustrated, no one else on his team is producing except for Drew Gooden, also Grant Hill hasn't done [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] since he's come to Orlando except for sit on the sidelines. I'd be pretty frustrated too.

"Injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere." - Martin Luther King Jr.
Roscoe
ClubLakers O.G.

Postby SWOL on Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:27 pm

T-MAC IS JUS SOUR, AND PLAYS ON A HORSE MANURE TEAM
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby Vasashi17 on Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:30 am

Yeah you guys...all he did was plant a seed of doubt for his return in a Magic's uniform.....he is developing an alibi that will support his opting out next season....and I'm positive he will be leaving the Magic if they don't reload properly this coming summer and possibly as early as this year's trading deadline.

He is basically pulling a Kobe from last year...and what did the Lakers do...get 4 HOF's on the floor at the same time...instant championship contender and easily out of the first round.....T-Mac is a respectable player and he is smart for doing this...trust me, it will only help his situation out and in turn will help the Magic out....will it keep him in Orlando....only he knows! But will it be a good way to start convincing him to stay...absolutely! Just look at what Garnett and Kobe might do at the end of this season.

Its smart, if you ask me...any good player in his position would do what he just did.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:23 am

But the Lakers are contenders, and how much are future HOF's gonna get deducted for playing in a Magic uni? Look how much Malone and GP took just to play with the Lakers... I'm sorry but the Magic aren't championship material, and I dont think any "great" player will risk millions just to play with T-Mac and the way he's been acting of late. We know the Lakers are hungry for another championship, and adding these two will increase our chances. If this is T-Mac's excuse to leave the Magic, then he might as well do it sooner or later. And if he finishes the year in a slump, then no teams gonna want him for the amount he got with the Magic.
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Kobe834 on Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:39 pm

I feel for T-Mac. He's not getting what he deserves and that's Doc River's fault. Not his. Better do something quick or T-Mac will prolly opt out come 2005.
Kobe834

Postby o0O kb8 O0o on Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:48 pm

i hate tmac...
o0O kb8 O0o

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:50 am

Kobe834 wrote:I feel for T-Mac. He's not getting what he deserves and that's Doc River's fault. Not his. Better do something quick or T-Mac will prolly opt out come 2005.

It's not Doc's fault he's not knockin shots down.
LakersGyrl2003

Postby ZenMaster on Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:48 am

Yes and no, LakersGyrl...this probably belongs in the 'WTF is wrong with the Magic' thread, sorry if that's the case...

Other teams are throwing all kinds of defensive schemes (esp. zone) against T-Mac b/c they know he's pretty much by himself out there...that he hasn't gotten much help from his teammates, minus one or two rare exceptions...and as a result he is struggling with it all, big-time. Plus they are getting killed on the boards. Doc has had no clue how to overcome that, and it shows. As a coach it is your responsibility to see what the other team is doing and help your players respond to it. Or, if possible, at least ANTICIPATE what the other team might do to you and plan accordingly. Doc has done neither, and look at where they are now. But part of the reason T-Mac HAS no help is b/c of bad personnel decisions, which Doc had 100% say in. It's a big mess, but they are the ones who made it, now they have to figure out how to clean it all up...
ZenMaster

Postby SWOL on Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:44 pm

HE WENT FOR 36 LAST NIGHT, HE IS FINE, HE MAY OPT OUT, BUT HE HAS REDICULOUS GAME
SWOL

Postby BDG on Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:15 pm

swolswol wrote:HE WENT FOR 36 LAST NIGHT, HE IS FINE, HE MAY OPT OUT, BUT HE HAS REDICULOUS GAME
Yeah, I was just gonna say that... the boy just had a good game again, so I wouldn't count him out so quick.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby FabFourLakers on Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:33 pm

BryantDunkGiant wrote:
swolswol wrote:HE WENT FOR 36 LAST NIGHT, HE IS FINE, HE MAY OPT OUT, BUT HE HAS REDICULOUS GAME
Yeah, I was just gonna say that... the boy just had a good game again, so I wouldn't count him out so quick.

his team still lost thats tha whole poinT!@@!@
FabFourLakers

Postby BDG on Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:47 pm

Yeah, but it's not definite that it's his fault.

In any case, the Magic suck!
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby SWOL on Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:07 pm

WO TMAC THEY COULDNT WIN THE PAC10
SWOL

Postby BDG on Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:34 pm

Haha that's probably true, especially since Juwan Howard is incredibly overrated

BDG
Retired Admin

Next

Return to NBA Discussion