T-Mac heaing to China

T-Mac heaing to China

Postby JSM on Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:32 am

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo wrote:After 15 often spectacular seasons in the NBA, Tracy McGrady is finalizing agreement on a one-year contract with Qingdao of the Chinese Basketball Association, sources told Yahoo! Sports.

McGrady, a seven-time All-Star, couldn't secure a guaranteed NBA contract for this season and decided against trying to make a roster in training camp.

McGrady, 33, will likely complete the deal within the next couple days and leave for China within the next one to two weeks, sources said. McGrady's long-time partnership with former Houston Rockets center Yao Ming made McGrady a popular player in China, and he'll be afforded star status there.

McGrady worked out for the San Antonio Spurs and New York Knicks in the past month, but neither franchise had a roster spot to commit to him. After 15 years in the league, McGrady had career-low numbers in Atlanta a season ago, averaging 5.3 points in 16 minutes per game. McGrady has been slowed with knee problems in recent years.

The Chinese season ends in March, allowing McGrady to return to the United States and possibly sign with an NBA playoff contender.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Re: T-Mac heaing to China

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:34 am

He'll join Iverson and Marbury as the NBA's long forgotten stars.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:06 am

Boy he is going to stand out there....lol...
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Weezy on Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:33 pm

Sad, I have no idea how somebody that good falls off that fast. I guess being able to stick around at a high level for a long time is what separates the very good/great players from the all-time greats.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:22 pm

He had a pretty good season last year, definitely good enough to be a quality backup. I wonder why no teams were interested.
XXIV

Postby MadMax on Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:42 pm

There are times in life that a new road presents itself and it appears this time has come for me now. I am so proud of what I have accomplished these past 15 years playing in the NBA. It was a dream entering the league as I just turned 18 years old. I worked hard and poured my heart and soul into this game. I consider myself a student of the game as I have watched, studied and played with and against the best players in the world. The NBA was my University and I learned so much. The gratitude I feel is really immeasurable. I have experienced the best moments a player can experience and have had some dark ones too. Both equally important in helping shape me into the man I am today.

As I leave the league for now, there have been so many profound people who inspired me along my way. I have to say thank you for guiding me and having an enormous influence on the way I played basketball. Isaiah Thomas, Rich Devos, Leslie Alexander and John Gabriel, you believed in me and I thank you. Jeff Van Gundy, you exemplified the brilliance of what a great coach is. Steven A. Smith, you gave us players a voice and for that I thank you. Doug Christy, Charles Oakley, Dee Brown, Mugsy Bogues, Antonio Davis, Dell Curry, Kevin Willis, you all showed a young kid from Auburndale Florida how to be a better player. Kobe, you made me work harder and it was an honor to play against you. And Yao, we shared an experience together that will always be with me, thank you. Sonny & Pam Vaccarro showed me how there is loyalty and genuine friendship in this business. Arn Tellem and Tim Hoy, 15 years and you are still my agents. Thank you for guiding me throughout my career. When all is said and done, there is so many that made an impact on my life. I am one blessed man to have the love and never ending support of my wife CleRenda and the best 4 kids a man can ask for. But most important, I give glory and thanks to God. It is thru Him that I have been so blessed and I am forever thankful.

As I enter this next chapter, I am excited to play for Qingdao Eagles in China. I have been to China several times in the last few years and I love the people and the country. It will be an honor to play for them. Thank you to every fan that has followed me and believed in me. Injuries and all, I wouldn’t have changed a thing. I am proud of the mark I left on this game and am grateful to have been a part this league. It was a dream to play in front of all of you, each night, in every stadium. Thank you.

Tmac

http://www.facebook.com/TracyMcGrady
MadMax

Postby lakersStan24 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:48 am

Weezy wrote:Sad, I have no idea how somebody that good falls off that fast. I guess being able to stick around at a high level for a long time is what separates the very good/great players from the all-time greats.

Not Really knee problems got T-Mac and general age and Iverson's atitude is the reason why He can't make a roster spot & rubbing people the wrong way.
Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
lakersStan24

Postby Finwë on Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:39 am

lakerswiz wrote:
Kobe, you made me work harder and it was an honor to play against you.

:bow:

Someone he never even played with, yet he can recognize how important his opponent was.

My respect for T-Mac just grew to incredible proportions.

+1
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby gcclaker on Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:49 am

Well...at least McGrady recognizes that his time is up in The League. Nice comment about 24. Very nice...
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby 432J on Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:01 pm

great career but so sad how fast he declined. if it wasn't for the injuries he'd easily be a top 5 all time player. we tend to forget how good this guy was in the early 2000s, right up there with kobe and iverson. i was always a big fan of his

best of luck in china!
432J

Postby thkthebest on Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:33 pm

lakersStan24 wrote:
Weezy wrote:Sad, I have no idea how somebody that good falls off that fast. I guess being able to stick around at a high level for a long time is what separates the very good/great players from the all-time greats.

Not Really knee problems got T-Mac and general age and Iverson's atitude is the reason why He can't make a roster spot & rubbing people the wrong way.

Iverson's attitude problem? Unlike Iverson, Tmac is/was willing to come off the bench. I mean, he wasn't/isn't the ideal player, but his attitude problem is nothing like Iverson's.

Here is also a quote from someone from RealGM that might give us a better perspective on Tmac.

LarsV8 wrote:You can pretty much ignore 90% of what has been written in this thread because it is mostly garbage by posters with some sort of agenda.

For about 5 years, the Rockets rode McGrady and Yao into the ground by relying on them for everything. Furthermore, thier medical staff has been awful, thier rehab awful, thier training awful.

McGrady pretty much killed himself in the 2008 playoff series against the Jazz and was pretty much done after the season. He needed multiple surgeries in the post season. The Rockets knew it was an "all in" season for them with the Artest trade, so they told him McGrady to play on his bum knee and that it was fine, despite him needing micro fracture surgery.

He even came back early and started the 2009 season because Battier was out and he wanted to help the team. Over the year, it was clear he just couldn't play on the one leg and something was clearly wrong. Team doctors said repeatedly it was fine, play on it, no problem. He got scapegoated by fans/media as the enemy, because they thought he was faking it or didn't have heart to play through injury. It was clear near the trade deadline, the Rockets were looking to move him.

He finally went to an external doctor and they easily found that he did indeed need a major surgery and playing on it was extremely detremental to his career. He immediately announced the surgery, which simultaneously killed a trade to New Jersey for Vince Carter.
Last edited by thkthebest on Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My signature
thkthebest

Postby thkthebest on Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:36 pm

Finwë wrote:
lakerswiz wrote:
Kobe, you made me work harder and it was an honor to play against you.

:bow:

Someone he never even played with, yet he can recognize how important his opponent was.

My respect for T-Mac just grew to incredible proportions.

+1

Tmac has always had a huge amount of respect for Kobe, and I believe they're pretty close friends too.
My signature
thkthebest

Postby purp n gold on Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:59 am

I understand posters here when they say it's sad how fast he fell off, but in a weird way we are being spoiled with Kobe here. In T-Mac's career arc he was playing top-level basketball for a good 3-4 years, 5 if we're generous.... which is more than a lot of "stars" can say. Sure, T-Mac was injured and probably should have had more success, but still he enjoyed a reasonable amount IMO.

We've been used to Kobe being so good and for so long... but Kobe is a freak. There is nothing natural or typical about Kobe's career.

Classy farewell BTW
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Return to NBA Discussion