T-Mac thinks TOR could've competed for championships vs LA

T-Mac thinks TOR could've competed for championships vs LA

Postby JSM on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:29 pm

RYAN WOLSTAT of the Toronto Sun wrote:Tracy McGrady went there. Again.

On Friday, the 34-year-old Spurs reserve said what he has in the past — that the Raptors could have done big things, had he chose to stick around instead of fleeing to his hometown Orlando Magic.

It wasn’t anything new, McGrady and Vince Carter have been singing that tune for years, but by finally getting to the NBA Finals now, after being out of the league for a year, McGrady appears to have realized even more what could have been.

“At that time, I think Toronto probably could have competed for championships with the Lakers, that’s what I think,” McGrady said Friday.

But he was sick of being in Carter’s shadow and was eager to prove he could be the man on another team.

He nearly doubled his 15.4 points per game scoring average to 26.8 after joining Orlando, and led the NBA at 32.1 and 28.0 per game during his final two seasons there.

“Toronto, they didn’t know I was capable of that type of performance as far as scoring. I didn’t (even) know I had that in me,” he said.

McGrady said he thought he was more like LeBron James, a stat-stuffing do-everything player, but the “backing of my coaches and teammates” helped him emerge as a nightly 30+ scorer.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Re: T-Mac thinks TOR could've competed for championships vs LA

Postby DJ-RaZ-Q#24 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:37 pm

:man10: ... #nowordsneeded
DJ-RaZ-Q#24

Postby TIME on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:23 pm

Sure they could have... if they found some players that could win in the playoffs. :smash:

Moving T-whack's fantasy to NBA Discussion.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby Forward Three on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:32 pm

He does make a decent point about scoring output, teams don't always know what a player is capable of and it's not always a factor of just limited minutes or usage either, but that kind of speaks to why Toronto wouldn't have been competitive. Also, it's easy to pile on McGrady after his career did fizzle out, but that speaks more to how difficult it is to sustain greatness, certainly when things were going well for him comparisons to Jordan came up(which is silly but the league was looking for a new Jordan desperately without wanting it to be Kobe for a long time)

I guess if you could warp time a bit and somehow have a McGrady, Carter, Bosh Raptors team that'd be pretty formidable, but you have to figure the coaching and management would be lacking.

But overall both Carter and McGrady get remembered as great talents who maybe didn't fully realise their potential or otherwise never found the right environment to exceed or otherwise just weren't 'next level' great.
Forward Three

Postby John3:16 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:45 pm

Remember that team McGrady started for that made it out of the first round?

Me either.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:57 pm

Get out of the first round while playing before talking like you have any idea what it takes to win a title other than what you have learned watching from the bench in SA.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:52 pm

what's funny is that he's saying that he was the one standing in the way of his own greatness.

dude's sort of a sad case. tons of talent, zero brain, faltering will. there was plenty of room for him in Toronto next to vince. then he reversed course and forced a trade to Houston, just as Orlando drafted howard (with whom he could have also made noise).

own worst enemy.
abeer3

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:45 pm

OK Tracy.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby 432J on Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:59 pm

i loved t-mac with the magic but this is just hilarious

dude rides the pine for every minute and gets to the finals for the first time ever only to say something like this?

aside from t-mac and carter, who else did those toronto teams have? alvin williams? mo-pete?
:man10:
432J

Postby XXIV on Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:33 pm

They wouldn't have been able to deal with Shaq and then there's Kobe to deal with.
XXIV

Postby kblo247 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:32 am

He's not hat far off. The east was weak. He never said he would win the title, just got out the east.

Vince Carter, Tracy McGrady, Mark Jckson, Antonio Davis, Del Curry, Charles Oakley, Alvin Williams, Mo Pete

That's good enough to get out the east if Tracy was given the nod to start and be the co-star. Hell Toronto played Phili to the wire in the playoffs.

And honestly Vince was healthier than Hill or Yao ever were
kblo247

Postby gill on Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:05 am

Shaq was in his prime during those years. He would have demolished Oakley and Davis at the same time.

And then you deal with a young Kobe...

c'mon man.
gill

Postby khmrP on Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:57 am

His game would've never messed with VC, two very ball dominate wing dont work and not to mentiont he ego's between VC and Tmac even if they are cousins. I think had Grant not been hurt so often in Orl, Tmac might not have had the scoring explosion like he did.
khmrP

Postby Frank Dux on Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:15 pm

Uhhhh no.

I'll take the balanced 'tried and true' perimeter trio of Fisher/Kobe/Fox over T-Wack, and Wince 'half man, half season' Carter any day.

Oh yeah, then there's the most unstoppable player in his prime in the post...

Lakers in 5.
Frank Dux

Postby strikemode14 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:49 pm

McCrady must have taken up weed in his later years

Seriously...

VC/T-mac tandem doesn't beat Indy...probaly could beat sixers...and they lose to the nets.

The lakers would eat them ALIVE...I am serious..this wouldn't be pretty AT ALL in anyway.
Strikemode14 is the greatest.

http://gprime.net/flash.php/postingandyou

]
strikemode14
Forum Manager

Postby Lakeshow24 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:00 am

Could have competed... and could have LOST.
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Return to NBA Discussion