T-Mac trying to get Rivers canned?

T-Mac trying to get Rivers canned?

Postby JSM on Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:36 pm

According to ESPN Insider, they may be truth to the specualtion.

Insider: Is Tracy McGrady trying to get Doc Rivers fired? That's the word from two league sources close to Magic players who claim that McGrady no longer gets along with Rivers and wants a change.

While no one is claiming McGrady has asked for Rivers to be fired (he doesn't want to fall into the same trap Penny Hardaway did in Orlando), if you listen closely to McGrady's comments in the media, you'll be able to pick up on his distaste for Rivers. Last week McGrady complained that he and the rest of the team were unprepared to play against zone defenses. His comments about wanting to call it quits and his dispassionate play at the start of the season were also meant to convey to management that he could no longer handle the status quo.

On Thursday, McGrady stepped up the rhetoric a bit, claiming it was time for a change.

"When you're not winning, changes have to be made," McGrady told Florida Today. "I don't see a light right now; really, I can't even see the end of the tunnel."

"Who knows what's going to happen? I'll leave that up to the management," McGrady said. "Right now, I just want to go out and compete with these guys. This is who we are. These are the coaches we have to play under and these are our players. Whatever happens, it's not up to me. It's up to management if they want to make changes. I'm out of it. I'm a player."

Rivers said he's willing to take the fall for the team. "It should be, it really should be," Rivers said when asked if his job security was in question. "Someone is going to take the blame, obviously. And if we keep losing, it'll be me, the players or management. It could be anybody. That's just the way business is and the way sports are. I understood that when I got into this. But I believe that we'll turn this around."

COO John Weisbrod claimed on Thursday that he hasn't considered firing Rivers or Gabriel ... yet.

"I'm not speaking along those lines or thinking along those lines," Weisbrod said. "I know it's the unavoidable question because it happens to be on everyone's lips and that's the culture of sports. That's the way everyone thinks when a team gets in these circumstances. But now I'm focused on joining hands with Gabe and Doc and trying to fight out of this."

"Anytime you are 1-7, you need something to change," Weisbrod said. "I'm hopeful that, despite how discouraging things may seem now, we can rejuvenate ourselves and get over the slump."

If things continue, Weisbrod will have no choice but to make a move. It will be one that probably works for both McGrady and Rivers. McGrady is frustrated with how the team has developed. He wants to win and there's a feeling in Orlando that the team has tuned Rivers out. Rivers has eyed several other high-profile jobs the past few summers. He has never wanted to quit on the Magic, however. If they let him go, he'll be free to grab another job. (The Hawks' and Knicks' jobs could become available right away if Rivers is fired.)

However, it's a no-win situation for Gabriel. Who is he going to replace Rivers with? The only high-profile coaching candidate out there is George Karl, and most don't believe he'd be a good fit. It's doubtful that an assistant coach is going to do any better than Rivers. If Rivers gets hired somewhere else, turns a team around and the Magic continue to struggle, Gabriel may be the next go.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Re: T-Mac trying to get Rivers canned?

Postby FabFourLakers on Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:10 pm

jsm0331 wrote:According to ESPN Insider, they may be truth to the specualtion.

Insider: Is Tracy McGrady trying to get Doc Rivers fired? That's the word from two league sources close to Magic players who claim that McGrady no longer gets along with Rivers and wants a change.

While no one is claiming McGrady has asked for Rivers to be fired (he doesn't want to fall into the same trap Penny Hardaway did in Orlando), if you listen closely to McGrady's comments in the media, you'll be able to pick up on his distaste for Rivers. Last week McGrady complained that he and the rest of the team were unprepared to play against zone defenses. His comments about wanting to call it quits and his dispassionate play at the start of the season were also meant to convey to management that he could no longer handle the status quo.

On Thursday, McGrady stepped up the rhetoric a bit, claiming it was time for a change.

"When you're not winning, changes have to be made," McGrady told Florida Today. "I don't see a light right now; really, I can't even see the end of the tunnel."

"Who knows what's going to happen? I'll leave that up to the management," McGrady said. "Right now, I just want to go out and compete with these guys. This is who we are. These are the coaches we have to play under and these are our players. Whatever happens, it's not up to me. It's up to management if they want to make changes. I'm out of it. I'm a player."

Rivers said he's willing to take the fall for the team. "It should be, it really should be," Rivers said when asked if his job security was in question. "Someone is going to take the blame, obviously. And if we keep losing, it'll be me, the players or management. It could be anybody. That's just the way business is and the way sports are. I understood that when I got into this. But I believe that we'll turn this around."

COO John Weisbrod claimed on Thursday that he hasn't considered firing Rivers or Gabriel ... yet.

"I'm not speaking along those lines or thinking along those lines," Weisbrod said. "I know it's the unavoidable question because it happens to be on everyone's lips and that's the culture of sports. That's the way everyone thinks when a team gets in these circumstances. But now I'm focused on joining hands with Gabe and Doc and trying to fight out of this."

"Anytime you are 1-7, you need something to change," Weisbrod said. "I'm hopeful that, despite how discouraging things may seem now, we can rejuvenate ourselves and get over the slump."

If things continue, Weisbrod will have no choice but to make a move. It will be one that probably works for both McGrady and Rivers. McGrady is frustrated with how the team has developed. He wants to win and there's a feeling in Orlando that the team has tuned Rivers out. Rivers has eyed several other high-profile jobs the past few summers. He has never wanted to quit on the Magic, however. If they let him go, he'll be free to grab another job. (The Hawks' and Knicks' jobs could become available right away if Rivers is fired.)

However, it's a no-win situation for Gabriel. Who is he going to replace Rivers with? The only high-profile coaching candidate out there is George Karl, and most don't believe he'd be a good fit. It's doubtful that an assistant coach is going to do any better than Rivers. If Rivers gets hired somewhere else, turns a team around and the Magic continue to struggle, Gabriel may be the next go.

make that 1-9...doc could be gone if they lose more than 10 straight...this is ridiculous
FabFourLakers

Re: T-Mac trying to get Rivers canned?

Postby rydjorker121 on Sun Nov 16, 2003 5:40 pm

FabFourLakers wrote:
jsm0331 wrote:According to ESPN Insider, they may be truth to the specualtion.

make that 1-9...doc could be gone if they lose more than 10 straight...this is ridiculous

or lose 10 straight...losing games in double digits is already enough, they can't even beat the Clipper cruds and they've been losing by blowouts...but also blame this on the injuries too, Pat Garrity, Shammond Williams and Grant Hill. I always thought that the Mike Miller trade was a bad one, Juwan's fat contract was awful and Drew Gooden would never live up to average 20-10 for the next couple of years. McGrady still has to handle the load, and there's no passer because Tyronn Lue can't pass and is more of a shooter. 1 assist in 41 minutes against the Clips? Shizzle my nizzle....injuries, players, and the coach could all be blamed for this. Only T-Mac is playing good, it's only right for him to complain
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby ZenMaster on Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:27 pm

This whole Orlando thing is like a really bad accident happening in slo-mo....you just can't help but watch it, even though you know better...but this is beyond ugly now...sonething's gotta give
Last edited by ZenMaster on Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZenMaster

Postby FabFourLakers on Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:29 pm

Darrell Armstrong must be laughin' at tha magic right now for not re-signing him...man he REALLY made a difference on this magic team...

so much for tha "youth movement" they were takin when they got gaines and bogans in tha draft and signed Lue to be tha starting PG...
FabFourLakers

Postby JSM on Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:19 pm

Here is a more recent article regarding the situation.
ESPN: The Magic's act is getting progressively old under the direction of coach Doc Rivers: nine consecutive losses following a season-opening victory, a 1-7 preseason, and a seven-game playoff loss to Detroit in May that Orlando led 3-1.

Management is not discussing Rivers' future, but sources have told the Orlando Sentintel that the franchise has a short list of candidates at the ready should the Magic's season continue down its current path.

"I don't know if I can do a better job, actually, with a group of guys that we have right now," Rivers was quoted as saying in a Sentinel story published Monday. "But we're still losing games.

"It's tough for me. It's tough for the players. It's tough for management. We put them [management] in a tough position because they have to look to see if we're doing a good job. I think we are."

The Magic play the Utah Jazz on Monday night to start a five-game West Coast swing. They have a two-day break before resuming play Thursday in Phoenix.

"I never thought we'd be where we are, not with the talent we have," Tracy McGrady told the Sentinel. "But hey, 1-9 ... that's the reality."

If Rivers were to meet his end this week, Orlando would not have to look beyond its bench for head coaching experience. Assistant Johnny Davis coached the Philadelphia 76ers during the 1996-97 season and Dave Wohl coached the New Jersey Nets from 1985-87. The Nets were a playoff team under Wohl in '86.

The Magic have been overwhelmed by injuries and poor bench play that has exhausted their starters. For those reasons, forward Drew Gooden defended Rivers.

"I hate it when teams are struggling. You don't look at what's going on, on the court; you look behind the scenes for an excuse," Gooden was quoted as saying in the Sentinel. "There's no way in this world this is all on Doc Rivers. We're all out there playing. He's doing the best job he possibly can. Doc Rivers should be our coach this season, next season, the season after that and the season after that."
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Return to NBA Discussion