Manu Ginobili To Miss Spurs Season Opener

Manu Ginobili To Miss Spurs Season Opener

Postby Kobe8Fan on Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:56 am

Manu Ginobili will miss the NBA season opener for the San Antonio Spurs due to a back ailment, the team said on Monday

The Spurs kick off their campaign on Wednesday at the New Orleans Hornets but they will do so without Argentine guard Ginobili.

The 35-year-old Ginobili, a three-times NBA champion and two-times All Star, will be re-evaluated in advance of Thursday’s game against Oklahoma City.

http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=11336
Kobe8Fan

Re: Manu Ginobili To Miss Spurs Season Opener

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:50 am

The man is seriously just a corpse at this point. I'd almost venture to say he's a distraction to the Spurs.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:50 am

therealdeal wrote:The man is seriously just a corpse at this point. I'd almost venture to say he's a distraction to the Spurs.

I hope you're kidding. Obviously he's been injured a lot, but still, when healthy he's about their most valuable player in terms of the change of dynamic he represents and his uncanny ability of making big plays when it counts the most..
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:35 pm

Finwë wrote:
therealdeal wrote:The man is seriously just a corpse at this point. I'd almost venture to say he's a distraction to the Spurs.

I hope you're kidding. Obviously he's been injured a lot, but still, when healthy he's about their most valuable player in terms of the change of dynamic he represents and his uncanny ability of making big plays when it counts the most..

Actually I think that player has been Tony Parker for the last two years. Manu's injuries are so frequent now that he's hardly in the lineup at all. And even when he is, he's not what he used to be. He's not the guy that was able to thoroughly confuse Laker defenses years ago.

He's still a terrific player, but certainly not what he was. The distraction bit was a joke sure, but he's not the soul of the team like he used to be.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:28 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Finwë wrote:

Actually I think that player has been Tony Parker for the last two years. Manu's injuries are so frequent now that he's hardly in the lineup at all. And even when he is, he's not what he used to be. He's not the guy that was able to thoroughly confuse Laker defenses years ago.

He's still a terrific player, but certainly not what he was. The distraction bit was a joke sure, but he's not the soul of the team like he used to be.

I agree with most of what you said, except about Parker. Parker is their MVP in the regular season. Not the post-season. Look at the WCF. Parker struggled big time in key games. It was Ginobili who was making the difference. Ginobili plays better D than Parker, he's way more clutch, and he's got a knack for making the right play at the right time.
The Spurs obviously need both of them, bad. But IMO Ginobili is their "X" factor, the key to the team success. If he's healthy, he makes them VERY dangerous. Parker may be the PG, but we all know that when it counts the most, the offense is ran through Ginobili. He's the go-to guy in big possessions and in big games.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:30 pm

Hm... I don't disagree, I just think that the version of Ginobili you're talking about is fading not so slowly away. I know he's come up big in almost every situation, but I just don't see how his body can hold up anymore.

I see him being phased out here pretty soon. They've got some exciting young talent that I think will be able to fill in his place. Namely Leonard, who they're VERY high on.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Return to NBA Discussion